The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Eurorack Modular Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Roland should have done it like that in the first place. They would’ve sold loads of them.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Will there be System-100M style cases with a panel of mults on the bottom?
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Ok I need to take a chill pill, it's great to make euro and synthesis more accessible.

But I'm uneasy about the choice of modules is all. I'd be super thrilled to see recreations of other classics currently not in production or other awesome stuff from the Behringer catalog in euro form.
Hopefully they clone the old Moog modules too. Serge and Buchla too.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
"or"? i hope you mean "and"

I think aloud .. and suspect the model d and neutron anyway appear in one or the other module
We can't forget the Pro One also
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
We can't forget the Pro One also
somehow I'm not keen on that .. do not know ..rather the cat or SEM module

but of course I have the other two
Old 6th January 2019
Too bad such a big company is still driven by cloning as opposed to innovation.. missed the whole point of eurorack !
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordito View Post
Too bad such a big company is still driven by cloning as opposed to innovation.. missed the whole point of eurorack !
The whole point? Hardly.

Further, eurorack is full of countless clones by numerous builders, from AJH to AMS to Buchla to Wasp filters to SEM filters to Roland filters and hordes of others.
Old 6th January 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
It is kinda weird how they only seen to clone other companies products, and we know they can design stuff themselves like the nuetron.. is almost like maybe Uli had a deal with the devil? It maybe it's just his business sense idk.. either way it's weird.. but hey, I'm all for it but I like to save and get the best, I seem to appreciate it more and like supporting small companies ideas, I don't want to sound like everybody else.
Old 6th January 2019
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
It is kinda weird how they only seen to clone other companies products, and we know they can design stuff themselves like the nuetron.. is almost like maybe Uli had a deal with the devil? It maybe it's just his business sense idk.. either way it's weird.. but hey, I'm all for it but I like to save and get the best, I seem to appreciate it more and like supporting small companies ideas, I don't want to sound like everybody else.
Sure, and thats your choice. Im more of a mass consumer tbh but I bought dreadbox and Malekko on either side of buying the boog and neutron. Roland arent a small company, “saving up” to buy the Roland system 100 modules isnt supporting a small comany or is it necesserally the best either if behringer add extra features.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
the point is: a neutron or a partially reasonably functioning module of roland / malekko
the neutron is unfortunately cheaper than a single module ...and can eg. in the oscillator section more ..
eurorack is so far overpriced by many manufacturers ... maybe that will change now
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure. If undercutting kills competition I guess thats a bad thing then?
If Behringer does System 100 modules better than Roland/Malekko, good on them. Might push negligent actors to actually innovate.
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Roland should have done it like that in the first place. They would’ve sold loads of them.
Ya THATS it...
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Roland's module is automatically worse because they didn't go with the black knobs with the orange notch
Right, and that nice grey front too!
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is kinda weird how they only seen to clone other companies products.

You're right they should invest in cloning products that they already make themselves.This makes sense, perfect sense.
Old 6th January 2019
It's weird how they only clone other people's products, even though 1 of the 3 synths they've released so far is an original design and the other 2 are clones with added bits. The VC340 is the closest to a straight clone I've seen in their upcoming lineup, and I guess the Pro-1 is close minus the expanded CV stuff. The MS-101 has expanded sequencing, FM, and more oscillator options. The drum machines have much better sequencing/performance capabilities + waveshaping + a filter. The Odyssey has a sequencer and built in FX.

Anyway, Eurorack is an expensive novelty but I do have GAS for a full Behri system (at those prices it's worth it) and a Make Noise Shared System. When I get seriously into modular hardware I think I'm going to go with a dotcom system and build my own expansions for it.
Old 6th January 2019
A.M
Gear Head

Based on the build and sound quality of the model d i just received, and the price point of these modules, i think behringer has made the entry into the modular world much more viable what with the prospect of reasonably priced rack\psu and modules that can definately deliver on sound and build provided they are to a similar standard as the model d, it's certainly got me fantasizing about building my own system which is something i can't say i'd previously felt, and it has certainly increased my interest in higher cost boutique modules that could augment a reasonably priced entry system offered by b.
Just my two cents.
Exciting times!
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
is almost like maybe Uli had a deal with the devil?
So are you saying he is the Steve Vai of synthesizer manufacturing? Aren't we getting a little bit carried away in our techno microcosm?
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

WTF is this, Groundhog Day, again again? The mods must be busy or distracted.

This news isn't new, this supposed controversy isn't new, and every MFing point some of you are trying to make have been made countless times already in the plethora of threads here in these very forums over the last couple of years.

If you're new here or missed if before, fine, welcome, but recognize that these "exhibits" and every damn thing associated with those topics have been talked to death many many times here, in many threads, and we don't need more of that crap.

If you're interested, go dig them up via the search function. Even after ten metric tons of this stuff - including several entire threads - have been deleted by mods, there is still many examples littering up every single Behringer thread here.

This thread ought to be nuked anyway, as its redundant and in the wrong forum. I feel bad for the OP. They were excited and thought it was an informative post, then it gets derailed by others like so many before it.

(and get off my lawn)

Old 6th January 2019
Gear Addict

The threads keep continuing because healthy debate stops when it devolves into partisan flame wars, and this is an ultimately controversial move by Behringer (citation: every other music production forum).

You want it to stop? Let it happen, let it reach a conclusion
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Addict

These modules will be 90eur apparently:

BEHRINGER Wants To Recreate The 100M Series In Eurorack Format !
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Addict

The first modules will be 90eur apparently:
BEHRINGER Wants To Recreate The 100M Series In Eurorack Format !
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

"For the next two years, Behringer plans to release up to 40 modules on the market, all priced between $ 49 and $ 99."
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Whatever. Enjoy yourself There's nothing partisan about being bored of repeating things over and over. Your points aren't original or edgy or clever, and it isn't even healthy debate because there is no debate. This isn't a business ethics class. Start a petition if you want, grab a Guy Fawkes mask and go protest if you care enough.

This isn't unique to Behringer, eurorack, gearslutz, or the music industry. There are hordes of Tube Screamer clones and for that matter six zillion tons of pedal clones, and more. This is tired, myopic, and selective outrage masquerading as "healthy debate".

Yawn.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Whatever. Enjoy yourself There's nothing partisan about being bored of repeating things over and over. Your points aren't original or edgy or clever, and it isn't even healthy debate because there is no debate. This isn't a business ethics class. Start a petition if you want, grab a Guy Fawkes mask and go protest if you care enough.

This isn't unique to Behringer, eurorack, gearslutz, or the music industry. There are hordes of Tube Screamer clones and for that matter six zillion tons of pedal clones, and more. This is tired, myopic, and selective outrage masquerading as "healthy debate".

Yawn.
Do not forget the strats and les paul, the synth scene is still in a thorny sleep .. it will be time to wake up
where there are fewer and fewer voices ..
see at m1 only the incorrigible, no one else suns.
lasting a few years then this is no longer a topic.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's the motivation for copying in prod modules instead of developing originals? Answer me that.
There are very few new original designs in the modular or in the analog market right now. Most stuff is copy of copy of copy.
Why are them small workshops, who'd be able to to live from filling niches, not developing originals? Answer me that.
"Change the frontplate, triple the price" seems to be a common saying among modular makers. I heard them saying it.

Quote:
Undercutting lower volume folks in euro who need margins to develop IP (e.g. Malekko) not good form imo.
These modules are not Malekko, but Roland made.
Roland is able to produce and sell for the same prices Behringer does. Or may be slightly higher. But they do not. Instead they asked 3-4 times as much.
The overall price level for newly released modules in Eurorack went up over 40% during the last 2 years.
They practically begged a strong competitor like Behringer to invest into this market segment.

Quote:
I'm not a hater of this element, just the weird competition with stuff already being built.
Like cars, or coffee makers or any other product. Synths, even modular synths are nothing else but consumer products/electronics. I heard hipsters are taking them out to picknicks nowadays.

Thats not even a bad thing. Its liberating! The gear doesnt divide us anymore. Everyone has the same chances on sound. As briefly discussed with @maisonvague a few weeks ago in the poll thread of synth 2018, we are back at the musicians imagination, talent and/or dedication to make the difference. Thats something to rejoice, imo.

Quote:
Sure. If undercutting kills competition I guess thats a bad thing then?
The competition Behringer is going to kill is just the guys who made clones themself for ridiculous prices.
During Superbooth i had a talk with a manufacturer. He was raging about Behringer and how we all should defy Behringer for making his live so miserable. So what was his business Behringer was about to destroy?

He bought 3340 VCO chips. Put 2 of them with standard data sheet design and tried to kickstart them for 450 euros.

Then came Behringer with the Neutron and had this very double Osc as one of its parts for 60% of the price.

Thats the kind of "competition" Behringer will rid us off. I am absolutely looking forward to it.

I am pretty sure guys like Olivier Gillet and other true inventors in Eurorack, will not be effected at all. They will even gain from it, since more people will enter modular land. I see the point for Doepfer and Ladik tho, who are heroes in my book. But they might be able to manage anyways. I certainly hope so and will continue to support them where feasable.
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar View Post
If Behringer does System 100 modules better than Roland/Malekko, good on them. Might push negligent actors to actually innovate.
Why do people persist with these myths?.
Roland absolutely innovated in Eurorack with their FX modules - Torcido, Demora etc. The 'actor' not innovating is Behringer.
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Roland arent a small company, “saving up” to buy the Roland system 100 modules isnt supporting a small comany or is it necesserally the best either if behringer add extra features.
Roland music division is actually small.
The jury will have to be out on Behringer until we hear them, experience the build quality.
As things stand, the Roland/Malekko modules are well built and sound good, although yes they are expensive.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Why do people persist with these myths?.
Roland absolutely innovated in Eurorack with their FX modules - Torcido, Demora etc. The 'actor' not innovating is Behringer.

They are that innovative, that they drastically dropped in price before they completely disappeared
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
The whole point? Hardly.
What got me back into Eurorack after ten years was the innovation.
Bitbox, Akemies Castle, Synchrodyne, Phonogene, Ornaments & Crime, Basimilus Iteritas, Elements, Braids - the list goes on.....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search