The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Eurorack Modular Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th April 2018
I wouldn't use your first post @Gearslutz to abuse another member.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Head

Greetings Uli and co,
For your marketing query:

These would probably signal my entry to eurorack. If I was looking to spend under $1k I'd probably choose the following:

110 vco/vcf/vca
140 adsr
182 sequencer
132 mixer/processor
150 sh/lfo
172 phase/dly
174 PEQ

Can I also request 19" mini-key cv keyboard?

Cheers,
Colin
Old 27th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
Modular Mania has been an oasis of respectful communication. Let's keep it that way!>
Too late. This thread in particular has brought a bunch of new people who think it’s another reddit. I knew it couldn’t last. All of the bull**** we’ve fought so hard to keep out is here now. It’s like a nice house that ends up getting torn down because tweakers moved in and made a meth lab.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrand View Post
Greetings Uli and co,
For your marketing query:

These would probably signal my entry to eurorack. If I was looking to spend under $1k I'd probably choose the following:

110 vco/vcf/vca
140 adsr
182 sequencer
132 mixer/processor
150 sh/lfo
172 phase/dly
174 PEQ

Can I also request 19" mini-key cv keyboard?

Cheers,
Colin
Hi Colin,

thanks for the feedback.

Frankly I am not a big fan of mini-keys and we at Behringer have resisted so far. As a pianist myself, I guess I am a bit old-school;-)

However it would be interesting to know what everyone's preference is.

Thanks

Uli
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Frankly I am not a big fan of mini-keys and we at Behringer have resisted so far. As a pianist myself, I guess I am a bit old-school;-)

Well, full size are nice too
The dm12 keyboard is my very favorite set of keys in my studio.

But in addition, I would like to have a small keyboard interface (an hopefully rackmount) with my modular equipment - this does not need to be a full-fledged performance keyboard - just something I can hit notes on while I develop a patch.

Alternatives to traditional keyboard designs would be very welcome - capacitive touch interfaces, for example, promise long life and low production cost. And going out on a limb here, I would like to suggest/request provision for alternate tunings. This could help expand your market to include non-western music-makers. (And make some very happy microtune nerds!)

Cheers,
Colin
Old 27th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrand View Post
Well, full size are nice too
The dm12 keyboard is my very favorite set of keys in my studio.

But in addition, I would like to have a small keyboard interface (an hopefully rackmount) with my modular equipment - this does not need to be a full-fledged performance keyboard - just something I can hit notes on while I develop a patch.

Alternatives to traditional keyboard designs would be very welcome - capacitive touch interfaces, for example, promise long life and low production cost. And going out on a limb here, I would like to suggest/request provision for alternate tunings. This could help expand your market to include non-western music-makers. (And make some very happy microtune nerds!)

Cheers,
Colin
+1 on microtunings! Goes great with my fretless guitar.

Microtune Nerd.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Ok, comments from people buying the whole set didn't sound at all like what I would do.

So, for kicks and giggles, I took the $1700 challenge and this is what I came up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Eurorack Modular-berryeuro.jpg  
Old 27th April 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Frankly I am not a big fan of mini-keys and we at Behringer have resisted so far.
Good. Very good.

Quote:
If it has piano-like keys (and with a modular it doesn't have to), it needs to have full size keys with a nice feel. The keybed on my DM12 feels great, for example.
Old 28th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Too late. This thread in particular has brought a bunch of new people who think it’s another reddit. I knew it couldn’t last. All of the bull**** we’ve fought so hard to keep out is here now. It’s like a nice house that ends up getting torn down because tweakers moved in and made a meth lab.
< please hit that "report" button? or send me a PM if there's something that you think isn't right? this forum is NOT another Reddit.>
Old 28th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yep, a bundle of bad vibes and negativity that’s going to linger at the top of the board for the next six months. I would be most grateful if this thread were moved back to the general electronic music board.
Old 28th April 2018
Yes, I admit to a sinking feeling when it was moved from the general electronic forum.
Old 28th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yes, I admit to a sinking feeling when it was moved from the general electronic forum.
I blocked it with an ad blocker.

Just block the table row element with ID thread-1211389

Feels instantly better. On one device.

Last edited by smutek; 30th April 2018 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Overkill
Old 28th April 2018
Thanks. I'm capable of looking away and not blocking.
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's the kicker though.....
Most people who get into Eurorack and build a conventional synth voice soon get sick of it. It's easier to work on a hardwired mono synth, than spend 15 minutes patching only to get to the same end result.
A Roland 100M clone is just going to be a conventional, subtractive synth voice. So what are you getting that's different to a mono hardwired synth?
I have a bunch of cool monos. But these days my 100m gets all the work. It has 3 VCOs, 3 filters, 3 VCAs, 4 envelopes, 3 LFOs, ring mod, S+H, noise, tons of mults, tons of mixers. It’s vastly more powerful than my other monos (SH-101, MS-20M, Sub 37 etc).

I like it exactly because it’s a conventional synth voice with no routing limitations.

I also use it as a toolbox for my other synths and effects. I have 5 MoogerFoogers and the CP-251 that all benefit from having plenty of envelopes and LFOs nearby.

I can also throw a VCO from the 100m into any CV input in the room, like the filter CV for the JP8 or Juno 60 for filter FM.

So yeah. I like conventional synths and I love the massive amount of control the 100m offers as a conventional synth.

I’m very much looking forward to adding the Behringer 172, 131, 132 etc that I’m missing and are stupid expensive.
Old 28th April 2018
Wul
Here for the gear

Standalone sequencer

I reckon there is a massive gap in the market for an affordable standalone sequencer. Just saying
Old 28th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I have a bunch of cool monos. But these days my 100m gets all the work.
Personally I am similar. But the reality is, MOST people look at how long it takes them to patch up a conventional bass sound, or lead on a modular system and wonder why they've invested in modular when hardwired is so much quicker and easier to use.
That's just how it is for MOST people.
Old 28th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wul View Post
I reckon there is a massive gap in the market for an affordable standalone sequencer. Just saying
Korg SQ1. Unbelievably cheap.
Or Beatstep/Beatstep Pro.
Roland Boutique synths, very cheap and they come with a great sound engine as well as onboard sequencers.
Reality is, there is very little lacking in the synth/sequencer scene in 2018.
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear

Modular synths are the best way to learn about synthesis in my experience so I hope these new modules will mean that schools can finally afford a modular in classrooms one day. With that in mind, although the Roland designs are classic and attractive to me, they are not ideal for teaching with and could be improved. For example, a filter module with a wider selection of modes. It would also be good to see visually with an LED when a connection between modules had been made. I spend a lot of time debugging patches that aren't working because of a bad cable or connection fault.
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Personally I am similar. But the reality is, MOST people look at how long it takes them to patch up a conventional bass sound, or lead on a modular system and wonder why they've invested in modular when hardwired is so much quicker and easier to use.
That's just how it is for MOST people.
doesnt take that long if you have a bit of experience. sure its not as quick as working with a sh-101. but i probaly make a bass/lead sound 10x quicker on a modular than lets say a evolver or a pro 12
Old 28th April 2018
Nah, I disagree for multiple reasons.
I almost always use my modular. But it's a simple fact that making a basic sound on my mono hardwired synth is a cinch compared to patching oscillators to filters, envelopes to vcas. I don't mind because I love modular, but it can be tedious all the same.
Secondly....most of the people in the thread are newbies who clearly state they've been curious about modular but have never been able to afford it.
So, I think it's a 100% guarantee that most of them will scratch their head when it takes them 10 minutes to patch a basic synth sound, when they have been used to a modern mono or a soft synth.
Old 28th April 2018
Here for the gear

System 100M

What ever you do - plz add a reset to the 182 sequencer

Here is part of my system, I have a lot of 100M

Looking forward to these new modules
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Eurorack Modular-c96b62c2-8af4-4b8c-b28e-317fe028c6ce.jpg  
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcotela View Post
What ever you do - plz add a reset to the 182 sequencer

Here is part of my system, I have a lot of 100M

Looking forward to these new modules
i think you sir need to post moar pics!
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

On the 100m modules:
Are sliders the best option for controlling filter freq or LFO rate?
I hope they are really smooth and easy to fine-tune .. or better than what you get on the SH-101 anyway.

I've always prefered pots for these parameters and sliders for ADSR
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
On the 100m modules:
Are sliders the best option for controlling filter freq or LFO rate?
I hope they are really smooth and easy to fine-tune .. or better than what you get on the SH-101 anyway.

I've always prefered pots for these parameters and sliders for ADSR
pots are always better than sliders imo. more control, more precision, more better.
I have adsrs with both and I greatly prefer the ones with pots.

only time when sliders are better is when you dont have any space. then you can cram in lots of sliders instead of few knobs. like on a metropolis.
also for things like adsrs, eqs, and the metro you get a visual representation of the voltages just by looking at them with sliders.

also most sliders have horroble feel and are way too short for the purpose. but most modular pots are good, even the cheapo doepfer pots have very good feel imo.
Old 30th April 2018
For quick and large changes in parameters, like amplitude of audio or cv or x-fades sliders during a live set, or better yet "faders" are obviously more suited than pot IMO. I think it depends on the sliders (length, quality) as well.
Old 30th April 2018
Incorporating sliders is much more about copying the Roland 100M aesthetic, and less about usability.
Both the Behringer and Roland/Malekko modules reference the layout, inputs and outputs, AND sliders of the original 100M series.
Old 30th April 2018
And sliders with a LED in them must look much better. And if it looks better, it also sounds better, right?
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Incorporating sliders is much more about copying the Roland 100M aesthetic, and less about usability.
Both the Behringer and Roland/Malekko modules reference the layout, inputs and outputs, AND sliders of the original 100M series.
Yes, although they have already swapped the original 100m CV attenuator sliders for pots on these modules..
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

I much prefer the visual feedback of sliders versus knobs, ala Odyssey, SH101, Atlantis and the Intellijel dual ENV, the Pittsburgh euro Sequencer and their new MicroVolt, the ARP 2600, Deckard's Dream, and others.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

I like faders for most things.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search