The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Eurorack Modular Modular Synthesizers
Old 23rd April 2018
The 182 was the standard 100M sequencer. Even then, you didn't see them as often as the other modules.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Addict

Honestly, i would start buying these modules, even tomorrow.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

None of the LFOs have resets, the VCOs don't look like they offer the waveforms simultaneously, there's not enough CV over functions, a lot of wasted space (I mean who wants to put 16HP towards a mult??). I get that these are really inexpensive but for someone who's already sunk $$ into a full system I don't see a lot to be excited about. Sorry...

Debbie downer out.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Uli

What would really complement this collection of modules well is an Audio Interface style module with 1/4" jacks in and out for interfacing with external FX/Synths/and providing a standard output.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
I like to share with you the initial drafts of our M100 Eurorack Series.

As usual do we appreciate your valuable feedback which will give a better indication of validity of these products.

Thanks!

Uli
Ok, here's my feedback.

110 - Not really interested. I'm more interested in a separate module for each of these functions.

140 - Drop the LFO, add CV input for envelope shape in the space.

182 - Clock in? I see tempo CV to control an internal clock. I'd want to sync it to an external clock

112 - Passable

121 - Passable

130 - seems nice, two vcas, two mixers for $100

131 - Ok, what's up with the standard OSC? Seems like something I'd never use.

132 - Nice CV mixer, attenuvertor for $100

150 - Nice, give me CV control over lag time and an LFO sync reset

165 - Ok. Two seems excessive, but what do I know?

172 - This should be broken up into 3 modules. A dual phaser, a dual delay, and a dual LFO. All should have CV control over parameters. LFO should have a reset, if not a digital BPM sync to clock.

173 - Maybe in a 1/4" world. We have stackables. I'd drop this one... 16HP is a lot of real estate for a mult.

174 - I guess it's cool. CV control?

Missing: Spring Reverb? Distortion/Waveshaping/Wavefolding?

Last edited by Entrainer; 23rd April 2018 at 05:10 PM..
Old 23rd April 2018
One thing about the designs though, they look awesome when you look at them as separate modules. But as soon as you start placing them next to each other in a rack the white vertical divider doesn't work anymore. You can't see what's what anymore

Example:

Behringer Eurorack Modular-screen-shot-2018-04-23-17.45.14.png
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Eurorack Modular-screen-shot-2018-04-23-17.45.14.png  
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post

131 - Ok, what's up with the standard OSC? Seems like something I'd never use.
its for getting the modular in tune with other gear. 440hz reference
Old 23rd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
But as soon as you start placing them next to each other in a rack the white vertical divider doesn't work anymore. You can't see what's what anymore
Real hardware is very different from a screen graphic.
These are a rip on the original 100M modules, and you never had any trouble seeing what was what on those.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
its for getting the modular in tune with other gear. 440hz reference
Ah, I see. Makes sense, thanks.

I've been spoiled by digital tuners and digital calibration.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
These are a rip on the original 100M modules
It feels like the 3U form factor is cramped if attempting a purist 1:1 per-module clone.
Old 23rd April 2018
Is it likely that more functions (more CV patchpoints) can be introduced in these modules, at the same pricepoint? I don't know. It seems to me the character of this range is simplicity, copying the Roland 100 ideas. If you want more complicated modules, there are many other manufacturers. Of course I could be wrong and Behringer might put out versions with more patchpoints and functions, in the future. Who knows.
I think there's nothing wrong with simple building blocks in a modular. You can make it as complicated as you want, in combinations with other modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
I love these sequencers with arbitrary voltages. Not tied to quantized notes. Then you can do funky micro-tuning jams.
I think the steps are chosen in random order. The outputs on the RYK are set by the CV knobs, always.

For a sequence of random voltages as output, feed white noise to an S&H sample input, and in the other input a clocked square LFO or output of a sequencer.
Old 23rd April 2018
Quote:
Ok, here's my feedback.

110 - Not really interested. I'm more interested in a separate module for each of these functions.

172 - This should be broken up into 3 modules. A dual phaser, a dual delay, and a dual LFO. All should have CV control over parameters. LFO should have a reset, if not a digital BPM sync to clock.
There's many modules from other manufacturers with seperate functions already. Wide variety of prices too. More variety is a good thing, no? I think especially these will be appealing to people starting out with a smaller system (one or two rows).
Agree on the LFO reset. I think it should have both (clock and reset input).
Quote:
173 - Maybe in a 1/4" world. We have stackables. I'd drop this one... 16HP is a lot of real estate for a mult.
I have both but prefer ACTIVE mult patchpoints on a panel. I think either system has pros and cons. Not sure if this module is an active or passive mult.
Old 23rd April 2018
Most mults are 2 or 4hp. I think the point about 16hp was a good one.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
There's many modules from other manufacturers with seperate functions already. Wide variety of prices too. More variety is a good thing, no? I think especially these will be appealing to people starting out with a smaller system (one or two rows).
Agree on the LFO reset. I think it should have both (clock and reset input).

I have both but prefer ACTIVE mult patchpoints on a panel. I think either system has pros and cons. Not sure if this module is an active or passive mult.
That's a good point. Active would make them more desirable.

Agreed, more variety is a good thing.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most mults are 2 or 4hp.
Or skipped entirely in favor of stackcables.
Old 23rd April 2018
I use both.
Stackables are expensive, and three or four stacked is less ergonomic than a four way multiple.
But again, I own and use both approaches.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Head

I've thought about experimenting with modular many times over the last three years or so but been put off in part by practicality and how much/little use it would get but more about cost and finding/choosing things that would be liable to work well together...

I could see a couple of 110s, a 140, a 182, a 132 and a 173 working well...

Now if Uli and team want to make a nice case to put these into I'm sure there'll be even more interest... Maybe nice to see a nice utility module: mix of MIDI/CV conversion, CV manipulation (adding, subtracting, etc) and some mults to fill out face plate space... Just an idle thought...
Old 23rd April 2018
Here's the kicker though.....
Most people who get into Eurorack and build a conventional synth voice soon get sick of it. It's easier to work on a hardwired mono synth, than spend 15 minutes patching only to get to the same end result.
A Roland 100M clone is just going to be a conventional, subtractive synth voice. So what are you getting that's different to a mono hardwired synth?
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
... So what are you getting that's different to a mono hardwired synth?
Sounds to me like a rhetoric question.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the steps are chosen in random order. The outputs on the RYK are set by the CV knobs, always.

For a sequence of random voltages as output, feed white noise to an S&H sample input, and in the other input a clocked square LFO or output of a sequencer.
Well yeah, I know how to use noise with a S&H.
I'm saying I like step sequencers where the pitches are set by pots with no pitch quantization.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what are you getting that's different to a mono hardwired synth?
IMO a better and more diverse sound depending on what you have.
I thought I'd try some fm-ing the other day. So i patched up my synth up as a 14 op fm/pm/synced/cved monster. And up to maybe 6-7 oscs it was very weird and nice.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Flexibility, expandability, more CV control, the ability to build a setup a piece at a time, etc.

Modularity, irrespective of form factor, is a vastly superior paradigm in most circumstances.

The worst part about most fixed architecture synths is that the architecture is forever fixed...

No synth, ever, IMO, should be forever stuck with one LFO or only one VCF variety, and so on.

Ultimately, I'd much rather see a lot of full instruments offer extensive CV patchbays (at least as options), which, when combined with individual modules, one can have the best of all worlds. One can still buy full instruments and never patch a thing, or one can go wild, all from the same gear. There would be zero downside if history had gone a bit differently and every famous fixed architecture synth ever also had an optional, extensive, CV breakout box that gave you access to each individual section/module.

If I were king...
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Slightly OT: how does the sound of the System 100m compare to the System 100 (101/102)?
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most mults are 2 or 4hp. I think the point about 16hp was a good one.
Yeah maybe they should be 4hp mults instead like in this rack that way with 5 modules you can fill out an 84hp row:

By the way, this is a clone of 4 out the 6 System 100m sets that Vince Clarke owns.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Do you think the 173 is a sign that Behringer isn't going to make a case with a lengthwise mult bar?
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It seems to me the character of this range is simplicity, copying the Roland 100 ideas.
What about if UliB copying every other manufacturer and sell at half their price? I mean, we all deserve low cost modules, right?
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
What about if UliB copying every other manufacturer and sell at half their price? I mean, we all deserve low cost modules, right?
What if a patent expires on a pharmaceutical drug which improves the quality of life for someone?

I'm personally for another manufacturer providing a generic version of that drug after the legal limits of the patent have expired.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Slightly OT: how does the sound of the System 100m compare to the System 100 (101/102)?
The 100m uses the same filter as the SH2/09, and early ProMars/Jupiter 4. The 100 uses a diode ladder filter that is in the early SH family of synths (SH3/SH5.)

In my opinion, different. The cool thing is that Roland/Malekko leaked their new modules, and the SH5 diode ladder filter is coming.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJPdude View Post
The cool thing is that Roland/Malekko leaked their new modules, and the SH5 diode ladder filter is coming.
Whoa, now we're talking... nice. Good news of the day.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

I told myself I wasn't going to get on this forum while I was on vacation. Needless to say, the announcment that this thread was in my favorite subforum has been hard to stay away from. Sorry if any of this has already been said, but I haven't read the whole thread yet:

I've said it before when the Boog (I love mine to pieces by the way!) thread was in its prime, but Behringer could really bring some of their expertise to the field. The main thing that comes to mind is that dude... we don't have affordable mixer modules in Euro. There's always some sort of compromise. The best bang for buck I found for my own system is a six-channel Blue Lantern mixer (the BMX) that has six channels, mute switches, line/synth level preamp switches, pan control, two stereo send and receives, and headphone outs. It was "only" $300usd, but there is no CV control, and it sounds god awful. I've seen people pay a whole lot more for less features just to get a decent sound going. I've been on the fence about a $250 Pittsburgh mixer that takes away a few of the features I use a lot in the BMX.

Now imagine, an eight channel mixer, a pair of those fabulous digital FX processors you've been using on your mixers for years, bass and treble (if not more) EQ controls per channel, and CV over at least the level if not the pan as well. That's a missing segment in the eurorack lineup is a well-performing mixer at a price that isn't going to make you eat your own head.

Anything else Behry can bring to the table is just candy, and the nice thing about Eurorack, is we really are a "the more, the merrier" crowd for the most part. The oscillator section of the Boog sounds great. I wouldn't mind throwing down a couple hundred for recreation of that oscillator with more CV control, and then still use that with the Boog. Effects pedals are great when moved over to eurorack as has been proved by guys like Synthrotek and Dwarfcraft. I'd buy more than a few of the old Behry effects in modular format.

And I'm a bigtime digital module junky, so if you guys want to get wacky with TC Electronics' programming department, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would go nuts.

Seriously, welcome to our little addiction. You know the market probably better than we do, so I'm sure you're not expecting billions of any one module to sell, but there's always a market.

Hell, let's go crazy: I don't think I'd be the only one that would buy into a Behringer system with your own format a la Moog or Buchla. To me, the Deepmind and the Model D have both proven that you guys know your way around synths. I'm excited about it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search