The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Eurorack Modular Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th April 2018
Deleted User
At present, I have not crossed the threshold into modular, but am considering it. I will see what Behringer brings in 2019 to Canada, because you have to add a huge time-lag for some items (for example a Behringer D or Neutron) to make it to stores in Canada. Also the CDN$$$ is on an ascendancy at present, so it helps to wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
What if a bunch of manufacturers adopted a breakout module format, where the patch points were on a separate module that you could situate elsewhere in your case?

You could always put it right next to the main module if that's what you like, or you could put all your breakouts in one consolidated area so they can be inter-patched without crossing over any of the controls.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
For my part-

DivKidVideo
Mylarmelodies
KenFluxwithit

Their interviews and extensive podcasts featuring modular makers sharing their design philosophies are probably some of the most interesting and profound bits on the subject. And their reviews aren’t half-bad either.

I don’t read muffs unless a search leads me there, and I honestly get more reliable info here in the modular subforum without all the cool-club groupthink that only perpetuates the negative stereotypes about modular. We don’t do that here.
those 3 podcasts and especially the top two are very good and way better than mw or any thread anywhere imo .

Mylar has a supremely comforting delivery method.
Old 19th April 2018
Voltage Control Labs is one of my favourites.
More explanations and tutorials than promoting new modules:
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Voltage Control Labs is one of my favourites.
More explanations and tutorials than promoting new modules:
that's a new one on me, checking the channel now thanks
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
that's a new one on me, checking the channel now thanks
Same here, thanks Chrisso.
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

Uli - I'm a buyer for modules;

CEM3310 EG (cycle, +/- polarity)
CEM3320 VCF (overdrive)
BA662 209 A or B (Juno/Jupiter8 ENV)

We want fast envelope equal to Pro-1. Also punchy envelope equalling Juno 6/60/Jupiter8.

I agree with Brickman and drglas. There is a clear need for affordable eurorack cases with built in PSUs , expandable. Current options are too expensive.

"Give it to me baby."
-Rick James
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

BTW, whatever you build, if it doesn't have patch memory, please, consider knobs and switches whose positions can be easily read on a photograph.

Just taking a picture with your phone of a patch would be much easier than making pencil marks on a patch sheet. But the small dot markers on the knobs of the Model D can be hard to read from a photograph. Making them a little bigger or adding a line marker on a knob's surface would help a lot.
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
What if a bunch of manufacturers adopted a breakout module format, where the patch points were on a separate module that you could situate elsewhere in your case?

You could always put it right next to the main module if that's what you like, or you could put all your breakouts in one consolidated area so they can be inter-patched without crossing over any of the controls.
That's what Tom Oberheim is doing with the still-unreleased SEM-X Eurorack module. It does seem like a really useful feature.

As far as what I'd like to see from Behringer, some digital modules would be nice:

A wavetable oscillator, especially if it has a way to load user wavetables and single-cycle waveforms.

A module that could provide several simultaneous user-selecable functions. For example, today I might use it as four envelope generators, tomorrow as one envelope, two lfos and a ring modulator, and so on. Roland sort of went in this directio with their Aira effects (I have a Demora), but something with more I/O would make the concept more handy. And even if I'm not using the Demora as a delay, the delay block can't be swapped out for one of the other funcions, only left unused in the current setup.

I also second one of the other poster's suggestions for a clone of the Bode frequency shifter.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

I like DivKid's videos. His one on the SynthTech E352 was quite good, I thought.

I hope we see a $300 SH101 clone (with extra CV) in an 84hp version, to go along with the Boog, Pro-One, and Neutron. Three classics and a twist for $1200!!
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Dear Uli,

Thanks for cloning these studio legends. While your there please consider expanding the range to consider other studio legends such as Kurt Cobain, Michael Jackson, Jim Morrison, to name but a few. Miniature versions are fine as long as their sound isn't impacted. I will surely buy one of each.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

So I was just browsing an unrelated thread, and a small conversation about modular popped up.
Person A) modular does _____ the best
Person B) sure, but does it have polyphony or patch storage?
Person A) that's not really what modular is aimed at.

And that got me thinking. I see these kind of arguments often. About polyphony mostly, and the cost/size barriers it has in eurorack.

So..how about a 'Polyphony' module? It could be a 4 voice vco/vcf/dual vca (for amplitude+modulation) + 4 software generated EGs. 1/8 MIDI in jack to control it from a standard keyboard.
External VCAs + EGs and LFOs wouldn't be a the major cost barrier like it is now, of Behringer could really deliver utilities at the price they've quoted. For once, a truly polyphonic modular could be possible.

Polyphonic+modular is something that really interests me. Imagine being able to buy the # of VCAs you want in your poly synth. Being able to include a Ring mod,or Phaser, or wavefolder per voice. Having co tell ofver the # of voices in your pokysynth. Building that system for the SAME PRICE as a standard analog polysynth (Prologue, Prophet, Deepmind etc)
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
So I was just browsing an unrelated thread, and a small conversation about modular popped up.
Person A) modular does _____ the best
Person B) sure, but does it have polyphony or patch storage?
Person A) that's not really what modular is aimed at.

And that got me thinking. I see these kind of arguments often. About polyphony mostly, and the cost/size barriers it has in eurorack.

So..how about a 'Polyphony' module? It could be a 4 voice vco/vcf/dual vca (for amplitude+modulation) + 4 software generated EGs. 1/8 MIDI in jack to control it from a standard keyboard.
External VCAs + EGs and LFOs wouldn't be a the major cost barrier like it is now, of Behringer could really deliver utilities at the price they've quoted. For once, a truly polyphonic modular could be possible.

Polyphonic+modular is something that really interests me. Imagine being able to buy the # of VCAs you want in your poly synth. Being able to include a Ring mod,or Phaser, or wavefolder per voice. Having co tell ofver the # of voices in your pokysynth. Building that system for the SAME PRICE as a standard analog polysynth (Prologue, Prophet, Deepmind etc)
Four voice poly is definitely possible already in euro. From others who have tried it, it just doesn't end up a very nice user experience. Having to tune VCOs and VCFs times the number of voices is slow and doesn't make for very quick/fun patching. Also most of the sequencers and controllers are mono. This is a poly row I came up with which costs in similar to commercial polys. Obviously you'd add effects and utilities to taste but this is a start.

Poly - Eurorack Modular System from subdo on ModularGrid
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Four voice poly is definitely possible already in euro. From others who have tried it, it just doesn't end up a very nice user experience. Having to tune VCOs and VCFs times the number of voices is slow and doesn't make for very quick/fun patching. Also most of the sequencers and controllers are mono. This is a poly row I came up with which costs in similar to commercial polys. Obviously you'd add effects and utilities to taste but this is a start.

I agree with you for most part. There is a need for VCA's Envelopes etc that also is made for polyphony. on the 5U side, Club of the Knobs have done this.

Just gorgeous.
Old 20th April 2018
Doepfer just announced a whole suite of polyphonic modules a couple of months ago.
To me the whole thing about polyphony and patch memory runs counter to the core strengths of modular.
It’s like buying a pushbike, mounting a honda motor on it and entering it into Paris-Dakkar. Why not just buy the motorbike that is built for that.
So I see lots of new people wanting to jump into modular but they also want polyphony and patch memory.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
[...] This is a poly row I came up with which costs in similar to commercial polys. Obviously you'd add effects and utilities to taste but this is a start.

Thing is if you set your example to be four equal voices then each voice will only have 1 osc and not that many patching possibilities.

The flexibility of patching is what lets mono modular voices keep up with fixed path mono synths. For a poly modular to really compete with a fixed poly, it needs to offer that patching power AND a decent amount of voices.

Those two things are expensive, and the more power/voices you have the more unwieldy the entire system becomes. Tricky to find the right balance in all of that.

To me, where poly modular can become interesting is when you get weird and creative, start patching voices into one another, set the voices to be different, and such, but then the polyphonic articulation starts to break down. There's also paraphony where you just don't worry about full articulation altogether.

Anyway, wanting modular poly to be similar to (and cost as much as) regular poly just isn't going to happen even with Behringer around.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Addict

I like to share with you the initial drafts of our M100 Eurorack Series.

These are 13 MID's or concept documents we create for every single product as part of our PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) process before we hand them over to our R&D departments for development.

We haven't decided yet which of these modules we will actually produce as it is important that we achieve a certain production volume.

As usual do we appreciate your valuable feedback which will give a better indication of validity of these products.

Thanks!

Uli
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Looks amazing Uli, I'll take a whole set, how long are you away from manufacturing and releasing these?
Old 20th April 2018
So after all the requests for cheap cases and unique ideas it’s most likely going to be cheap Roland clones. Sigh.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So after all the requests for cheap cases and unique ideas it’s most likely going to be cheap Roland clones. Sigh.
They're not mutually exclusive.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

I guess some Roland Fanbois won't be amused, but personally I like the idea of a 100M clone with all of the original modules ofc
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post

These are 13 MID's or concept documents we create for every single product as part of our PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) process before we hand them over to our R&D departments for development.

We haven't decided yet which of these modules we will actually produce as it is important that we achieve a certain production volume.

As usual do we appreciate your valuable feedback which will give a better indication of validity of these products.

Thanks!

Uli
Great! Looking good and I am looking forward to seeing them come alive.

Regarding the EQ: Would be very usefull if the EQ's outher bands could be switched between bell, shelf and cut.

Cheers,
t.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I suspect this thread asking for input was created with all those modules already on the table.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I suspect this thread asking for input was created with all those modules already on the table.
Hi Gruvsyco,

please allow me to reply.
Over the past years we have repeatedly been asked to revive the 100m system and offer it at an affordable price.

Since we do listen to customers, it was clear that the 100m would be our first step into the Eurorack market. In this aspect you are absolutely correct that we had those modules in mind before we announced our Eurorack journey.

However, as mentioned earlier, we haven't decided yet which modules we will be making as this will become clearer at a later stage once we have more customer feedback.

I like to clarify that this is just the beginning and our Vision is to build both legacy modules but also come up with innovative solutions which we have demonstrated with the DeepMind or the Neutron.

We are equally excited to cooperate with creative module makers and many have already contacted us. We believe that such co-operations are mutually beneficial and I am convinced that our efficient supply chain can help these makers to get their products into the hands of lots of people. We are looking forward to meeting as many designers as possible at SuperBooth.

Uli

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 20th April 2018 at 09:50 PM..
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Uli, regarding the 172 Phase Shifter/Delay/Gate Delay. I would request a bit more CV control over 1) Phase Frequency and 2) Delay Time.

These modules look great. Can't wait to add some of these to my system!
Old 20th April 2018
Quote:
Hi Gruvsyco,

please allow me to reply.
Over the past years we have repeatedly been asked to revive the 100m system and offer it at an affordable price.

Since we do listen to customers, it was clear that the 100m would be our first step into the Eurorack market. In this aspect you are absolutely correct that we had those modules in mind before we announced our Eurorack ideas.

However, as mentioned earlier, we haven't decided yet which modules we will be making as this will become clearer at a later stage once we have more customer feedback.
Uli
Greetings, Uli
Rather than my normal pre-coffee cynicism, I'd like to express/suggest something to you if it isn't too presumptuous of me. Customers matter of course, I won't try and tell you NOT to listen to them, that would be silly. However, I would suggest that the opinions of module makers would also serve you well in you modular endeavor.

I know you must be a very busy person, but I would beg of you to spend ten minutes watching this from 1:05:00 on, there are some amazing bits of wisdom Shared by Justin of Abstract Data concerning the future of Eurorack modular, and it's very inspiring IMO.

And then there is this one with Paul from Synthesis Technology, where I simply can't suggest a time frame because this entire video is crammed with valuable information on building and designing modules of quality-

This is in no way to suggest that you don't know what you are doing, I think this is valuable information that would benefit anyone using or making modules. Especially someone in a position to make a major impact on the space.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

At a glance I think they look great... aesthetically, feature wise, and price wise, and I hope they all make it into production and in sufficient enough quantities to make entire sets easy to obtain.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if this particular 100m series is what's most important or ought to be first (much less be used as a test case to see how eurorack modules work out for you guys).

I think that there are other more immediate needs (and as such better chances for an initial successful foray into eurorack), particularly the cases/power supplies many have mentioned.

Good luck in any case, it's exciting to see this develop and I've little doubt it'll be popular no matter how it specificially unfolds. I absolutely love the understated aesthetic of the 100m set.
Old 20th April 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

These are bread and butter modules...
Not what I am looking for in Eurorack.
I am out.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Looking good, Uli! I'm excited, personally.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

I also want to say that's I'm glad you're making these because knowing Roland I always felt like those System 500 modules would be discontinued by the time I could have afforded them.
I'm surprised Roland didn't make them a limited time thing and discontinue them like they did with those eurorack effects.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also want to say that's I'm glad you're making these because knowing Roland I always felt like those System 500 modules would be discontinued by the time I could have afforded them.
I'm surprised Roland didn't make them a limited time thing and discontinue them like they did with those eurorack effects.
Roland has new/additional ones coming out, too. And of all the companies who don't need another reason to not make analog gear again, it's Roland. I'd rather they be given a wide berth with their analog gear such that they continue to even consider the path again. They're already so far down the virtual/ACB rabbit hole it may be too late anyway, but there's still little pockets of hope that they will one day return to their roots and former glory - making analog gear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search