The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MI Marbles Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Maniac

MI Marbles

It’s there!........Marbles.....
Attached Thumbnails
MI Marbles-6b340515-baea-4c3e-9be2-9963ff49bc44.jpg  
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Let's see... it's part Turing Machine and part Wogglebug with a built in quantizer. Bang on for the buck! But... if you've got those functions covered, there doesn't seem to be much to really "flip your lid" for.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

I was going to say looks like qubit Chance crossed with an Arpitect. I've never used a Turing machine but that comparison seems apt.
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Marbles loves patchcables
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

I haven't an effing clue...
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

This looks pretty badass.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Looks like Stages will be next.

Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Crap, that's everything I've been trying to build out since I got into eurorack ... Bye Turing, Brainseed, Tonic, and uScale II.
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Looks like Stages will be next.

Ooops I don’t think that picture was supposed to be out here.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

nice. the turing I had was always problematic, but a MI build would surely suffice. ADD.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting, as I’ve got all those functions in other modules this maybe one to pick up once the novelty has worn out, kinda glad it’s not a must have for me as my list is big enough.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

My curiosity is piqued. I’ve wanted a Brain Seed since before I even started my modular journey, but this takes what I like most about that module and combines it with a whole lot of other stuff in a more appealing (albeit larger) package. I like how it integrates Branches “coin toss” too, tho I doubt it will replace my Branches if I get a Marbles, as Branches is just too damn useful. And it would let me use the O_C in other complimentary ways. Looks like a total win to me.
Old 31st March 2018
Watched a couple of Marbles videos. Not my cup of tea.
What is Stages?
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
What is Stages?
Us mere mortals don't know yet, only the chosen ones know
Old 31st March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Crap, that's everything I've been trying to build out since I got into eurorack ... Bye Turing, Brainseed, Tonic, and uScale II.
Not disagreeing here because Olivier's reputation is pretty awesome for delivering great modules, but Marbles' UI is kinda mysterious looking to me. I'd have to see some vids on how the quantizer is implemented before I'd be kissing off the uScale. It's the most accurate quantizer voltage-wise I have been able to test so far, and so dead-simple to use after watching onceuponasynth's (Bloodsample) vid tut that's it's become integral to my process, and I have seriously considered getting a second one. Let me know if you decide to part with yours.
Old 31st March 2018
there's a DivKid video:
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

It you already have a Grids and a Turing machine I think it's redundant...

YMMV
Old 8th April 2018
Thought I'd share my video on Marbles here. I really love this thing! Mutable's description of Controlled Chaos, Repeatable Randomness fits perfectly...

Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

After some videos, and more reading... I still can't get into this one. I'm glad it's available. MI needed some random source in their portfolio, and I'm sure it's a fine module. But... it just doesn't feel like anything special happening here, and that's what I've come to expect from MI (my fault, not theirs). Maybe I'll change my mind after seeing more content, or having some hands-on time?

Genshi... if you could summarize... What does Marbles bring to a patch that you couldn't do with other things? It was mentioned earlier... Turing Machine, Grids, URA, Harmonaig or uScale ii.. or similar modules... seem to cover these functions in spades. In some cases the MODULAR approach to what Marbles offers seems to have a finer level of control. Obviously that video is just a first spin... but can you offer any summary of a thing this does that's unique to Marbles?
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Maniac
im sure this is a cool module.. but who doesnt allready have countless random modules? in my case i have turing machine + expanders, wogglebug, chance, 2 x ornaments crime, batumi with expert firmware. probably like 5 x a s&h somewhere. for the clock side i got a pamelas workout, a temps utile, rcd, scm, wogglebug, chance, grids, branches. it just feels a bit of a redundant module. tough if i were completely new and starting out and lacking any form of random cv/gates well yeah maybe i would have alook at it. but for every serious wiggler its probably really redundant by now.
Old 9th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
<snip>
Genshi... if you could summarize... What does Marbles bring to a patch that you couldn't do with other things? It was mentioned earlier... Turing Machine, Grids, URA, Harmonaig or uScale ii.. or similar modules... seem to cover these functions in spades. In some cases the MODULAR approach to what Marbles offers seems to have a finer level of control. Obviously that video is just a first spin... but can you offer any summary of a thing this does that's unique to Marbles?
Well, first off, I haven't used those modules you mentioned, so for me, Marbles is new and unique for my setup. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
im sure this is a cool module.. but who doesnt allready have countless random modules? in my case i have turing machine + expanders, wogglebug, chance, 2 x ornaments crime, batumi with expert firmware. probably like 5 x a s&h somewhere. for the clock side i got a pamelas workout, a temps utile, rcd, scm, wogglebug, chance, grids, branches. it just feels a bit of a redundant module. tough if i were completely new and starting out and lacking any form of random cv/gates well yeah maybe i would have alook at it. but for every serious wiggler its probably really redundant by now.
... the point of Marbles is to replace a lot of those other modules, and then some. Having finally cracked open the manual, they mention that the t side (left side) of Marbles which handles the random rhythms, is "like having a Grids and Branches" together in one module, and the X side (right side) which generates the random voltages is the equivalent of having "a triple noise source and sample&hold, waveshapers, quantizers, and lag processors." But then there is the middle section, the Deja Vu section, which I haven't completely explored yet, but apparently one of the couple of things that it does is allow you to record incoming voltages to create new scales, while also looping/recycling/locking voltages with varying degrees of randomness.

So I don't know, for me, it's new, it's fun and immediate and easy to use, and for my live performances, that's exactly what I was looking for. I think DivKid just did an hour long complete explanation and walkthrough (I haven't watched it yet) so if you all really want to know what Marbles is about, and how it is different (if at all) than other modules, I'd recommend watching that.

In the mean time, here is another brief demo I did; a really simple ambient exploration...

::| TO HEAR THE FULL RANGE OF FREQUENCIES, A GOOD PAIR OF HEADPHONES ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED |::

Patch notes: MARBLES sequencing (by order of appearance) Mutable Instruments RINGS, Mutable Instruments PLAITS, and Intellijel PLONK. Effects on RINGS by Erica Synths BLACK HOLE DSP (off screen) and effects on everything by Mutable Instruments CLOUDS. XAOC Devices BATUMI modulating several things.

I also did this ambient piece earlier in the day, though I didn't shoot a video for it...

Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm a modular outsider with no modules or real experience with it, so for what's it worth.

What Marbles does is (roughly):
- Generate all kinds of random signals
- Direct/refine them towards what you want/something more musical
- Lock them down when you find something interesting
- Create variations on what you've found
- You can do all of this for the various dimensions of random on offer (or to external signals)
- You can move in and out and around all of those processes smoothly

Marbles is not just "a random source", it's "a random playing device" as in you can explore, manipulate, loosen, tighten, remix, this mass of unpredictability in a hands-on and seemingly quite fun way. I'm not aware of any modules that lets you do that, and doing it with multiple modules would require a bunch of them, and a bunch of patching, which is time/money/HP expensive and takes away the immediacy.

To me Marbles' role in the context of other random modules would be a "master" one, as in it's the main one you control or play while the others are random sub-processes.

Anyway, "Fun control over chaos" is where Marbles shines to me, on top of being quite a comprehensive source of dice action.
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I'm a modular outsider with no modules or real experience with it, so for what's it worth.

- You can do all of this for the various dimensions of random on offer (or to external signals)

Marbles is not just "a random source", it's "a random playing device" as in you can explore, manipulate, loosen, tighten, remix, this mass of unpredictability in a hands-on and seemingly quite fun way. I'm not aware of any modules that lets you do that, and doing it with multiple modules would require a bunch of them, and a bunch of patching, which is time/money/HP expensive and takes away the immediacy.

To me Marbles' role in the context of other random modules would be a "master" one, as in it's the main one you control or play while the others are random sub-processes.

Anyway, "Fun control over chaos" is where Marbles shines to me, on top of being quite a comprehensive source of dice action.
Exactly this. Very well said!
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

plus the jitter, that bit clinched me, its like j-dilla's spirit is in there somehwere
Old 17th April 2018
I just can't get enough of Marbles... I'm really loving it! Strangely enough, I had bought the Eloquencer a week before, something I had been lusting after since it was first announced (it's basically my dream sequencer for Eurorack; from design aesthetics to functionality) and yet, I haven't touched the Eloquencer since getting Marbles! Here is another demo I did with Marbles driving Plaits Rings and Plonk...

Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I just can't get enough of Marbles... I'm really loving it! Strangely enough, I had bought the Eloquencer a week before, something I had been lusting after since it was first announced (it's basically my dream sequencer for Eurorack; from design aesthetics to functionality) and yet, I haven't touched the Eloquencer since getting Marbles! Here is another demo I did with Marbles driving Plaits Rings and Plonk...

Sounds great, Genshi.

Do you have any more patch details you'd care to share?
Old 17th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Sounds great, Genshi.

Do you have any more patch details you'd care to share?
Thank you! I did an abstract video version of this piece, but at the end of the video (at the 6:30 mark) I show a brief 3 minute excerpt of the patch...

Basically, I have the t1 going into the "Trig" of Plonk and t3 going into the "Trig" of Rings, then X1 going into the "V/OCT" of Plaits, X2 going into the "PITCH" of Plonk, and X3 into the "V/OCT" of Rings. Then, I am manually manipulating the Bias, Jitter and Steps of Marbles (with Batumi also modulating Bias on the left side), with Marbles in the Minor Scale mode for the right side, and using the Coin Toss mode for the left side. Also, in my previous video, I have t2 and X2 going into Tides which was in the "two-bumps" Harmonic Oscillator mode of Parasites.

Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

My obligatory take on Marbles + Plaits.

Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post

You basically just described a Wogglebug. Or a URA. Actually there are a number of such devices in Euro, it’s definitely not a remotely unique concept. One thing that tends to be true about these kinds of modules is that due to their different designs they seem to inspire different sorts of behavior sets. So even though they’re mostly variations on a similar theme you get different kinds of results from a Wogglebug than, say, a URA. But unless you’ve examined those quirky behavioral tendencies up close it’s unlikely that forum descriptions are going to be very useful in navigating those unique and subtle differences.

What does seem obviously different is the UI, Olivier’s take seems a bit different than current offerings.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
You basically just described a Wogglebug. Or a URA. Actually there are a number of such devices in Euro, it’s definitely not a remotely unique concept. One thing that tends to be true about these kinds of modules is that due to their different designs they seem to inspire different sorts of behavior sets. So even though they’re mostly variations on a similar theme you get different kinds of results from a Wogglebug than, say, a URA. But unless you’ve examined those quirky behavioral tendencies up close it’s unlikely that forum descriptions are going to be very useful in navigating those unique and subtle differences.

What does seem obviously different is the UI, Olivier’s take seems a bit different than current offerings.
This is so wrong ... Naming modules that I have that Marbles can replace; The left side is Branches, Grids (or a musical gate generator), and a Nanorand / Octocontroller random gate output with swing that actually works. The middle, would be a Wogglebug. The Right side is a Turing Machine or shift register, uScale II, and Brainseed, x2 or x3 depending on setting, but much more musical control. On top of all that, the controls are extremely well designed for live use / improv. I just spent about 3 hours last night laying down some great basslines using just Marbles for sequencing for a group of 4 or 5 others to improv over. It's an extremely fun and musical device.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search