The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
which quantizers are good?
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

which quantizers are good?

I'm getting a quantizer. it will be my first one.

I wanna know which are regarded as good and which to avoid. and why kinda.

some have "keyboards" and some dont, like the toppobrillo. what going on there?
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Ornament & Crime. Fantastic quantizer and SO much more
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

o&c may not be my favorite user interface ever but the power per hp is ridiculous. As quantizers go it seems like the kitchen sink model, the features on the quantizer apps (oh yeah it has more than one quantizer app) alone are staggering. And four channels.

But perhaps most important to me: it has worked well and provided predictable results. There are lots of complaints about some of the more popular ones (uScale, Addac come to mind) but I’ve rarely, if ever, seen people complaining that the o&c quantizer was giving unpredictable results.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
o&c may not be my favorite user interface ever but the power per hp is ridiculous. As quantizers go it seems like the kitchen sink model, the features on the quantizer apps (oh yeah it has more than one quantizer app) alone are staggering. And four channels.

But perhaps most important to me: it has worked well and provided predictable results. There are lots of complaints about some of the more popular ones (uScale, Addac come to mind) but I’ve rarely, if ever, seen people complaining that the o&c quantizer was giving unpredictable results.
and each channel can also be a standalone turing machine in quantizer mode.

and also, there's a shift register, sequencer, chord mode, 4x envelopes (with euclidean rhythm generator), etc, etc...

that thing is nuts. i need another.
Old 17th March 2018
I bought O&C for quantising, but I think I might end up using the sequencer more.
Old 18th March 2018
Just throwing it out there that the intellijel uScale is pretty awesome. You can easily produce 2 distinctive melodies that stick to the scale you punch in or select. A 2nd one is in the plan. Either that or ADDAC Quad which looks insane. Quad looks pretty divey though.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I bought O&C for quantising, but I think I might end up using the sequencer more.
I bought it as a quantizer after I got a z8000 and thought I'd use it for melodic sequencing (I don't). It's crazy how much stuff is in there - I got lost in the chord mode.. then some time in the shift register.. more time with the turing machines and euclidean rhythms... have barely scratched the sequencer.

Man this thing is deep.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Yet another vote for O_C here. It is an amazing and versatile utility module, but it's not as cryptic as other less complicated modules.
Old 19th March 2018
Just used O&C as a sequencer for the first time today. Superb.
It comes with multiple quantising scale options.
A little menu diving at first, but an absolute breeze to program once you get the protocol.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just used O&C as a sequencer for the first time today. Superb.
It comes with multiple quantising scale options.
A little menu diving at first, but an absolute breeze to program once you get the protocol.
If you have any fixed voltage source (z8k, levit8, etc) you can use that to offset the lack of knobs on the O_c. It doesn't bother me, but some people prefer that.
Old 19th March 2018
In my opinion the best is the µTune from Tubbutec. It is also a CV->MIDI->CV interface. 2 independent channels and there's going to be an expansion (6 or 8 channels) As a pure quantizer it beats the O_C, but the O_C can do other things as well.
Do a search, this (and the O_C) have been discussed. I want both, really. With any luck tomorrow the tax return comes in.

A cheaper option would be the Doepfer A-156. Simple and works as advertised. It has gate inputs which are lacking in other (unmentioned) quantizers.
There's also the Instruo Harmonaig and Performance Quantizer. That Harmonaig is a special one, it allows a quick way to build chords.
Old 19th March 2018
Harmonaig looks good, but unavailable (except for kit?).
I have a Doepfer Quantiser and for some reason couldn't get it to do what I wanted.
Actually, O&C is easier.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Arpitect here. Also - In a quandary over quantizers...
Old 20th March 2018
uO&C my first and only. Thought it was meh, but I like it
Old 21st March 2018
Quote:
Harmonaig looks good, but unavailable (except for kit?).
I contacted the manufacturer last summer. He said it would be in production in while and he offered a copper faceplate version he would build himself. (the production one would have an aluminium front). I noticed a simplified version on MG. Despite the price, I think the full module makes more sense (something different). The workflow seems to be very intuitive:
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

The Harmonaig is the only quantizer that tempts me to go beyond O_C. Thought Arpitecht would do it, but O_C still remains as my goto.

That said, trying not to over post this video, but O_C is doing all the melodic work in this patch. I'm using the "Turing" function on channel 1, then patching back in to the other channels with various internal clock dividers to grab pitches to drive the various voices.

Old 27th March 2018
omnomnom
Attached Thumbnails
which quantizers are good?-29662772_2020956954813446_1454254063560823576_o.jpg  
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Harmonaig is the MAC DADDY of all quantizers. I have an uO_C and previously owned O_C and uScaleii (both of which are very good). Harmonaig has so much musical theory built into the hardware though... it's really genius.

Two videos from me that feature this...

First one generates chords from Telharmonic's 3-voice Shift Register mode... all chords are built from Harmonaig output into a switch.

Second one uses Harmonaig to generate four melody streams that are switched to create longer/complex sequences... feeding Mangrove as the melodic voice.

(the melody in that gets much more active around 3:30)
Old 27th March 2018
beautiful! thanks for posting
Old 26th April 2018
promo video for the µTune
Old 6th May 2018
Gear Maniac

O_C. Thread closed.
Old 6th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
I'm getting a quantizer. it will be my first one.

I wanna know which are regarded as good and which to avoid. and why kinda.
I have the Barton Dual Nice Quantizer. I like it because it is somewhat quarky. it has its own feel and for me that is what I'm looking for. I bought it as a kit . If you are looking for a stable quantizer the O&C is probably your best bet and they are easy to find second hand. Well, at least here in Europe they are.

Last edited by Bhang; 16th May 2018 at 01:44 AM..
Old 26th October 2018
Here for the gear

Which Ornament & Crime quantizer is it? There are many on modular grid.
Old 26th October 2018
O&C is a multi function module that includes a quantiser. There are probably a few on Modulargrid because it exists as a kit. So you either build it yourself, or buy one someone else has built.
The firmware is basically the same - it has sequncers, function generators and quantisers.
There is a new alternative firmware though.
So you either buy a full O&C, or the smaller version, and load in one of the two firmwares. I’m sticking with the original firmware.
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonician View Post
Which Ornament & Crime quantizer is it? There are many on modular grid.

Quote:
O&C is a multi function module that includes a quantiser. There are probably a few on Modulargrid because it exists as a kit. So you either build it yourself, or buy one someone else has built.
The firmware is basically the same - it has sequncers, function generators and quantisers.
There is a new alternative firmware though.
So you either buy a full O&C, or the smaller version, and load in one of the two firmwares. I’m sticking with the original firmware.
There's even a couple manufacturers making factory built O_C's. Mine was done by a guy on eBay called 'Isohedra'. Reasonable prices, very professional quality builds, and he's super reliable when it comes to communication. If you ask, he'll also put together a custom panel for you. I bought a blank from (which I subsequentaly LOST) which has this cute kitten eating a cupcake. He's a very cool dude. I can't recommend him enough for many projects.
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Harmonaig is the MAC DADDY of all quantizers.

[...]

Harmonaig has so much musical theory built into the hardware though... it's really genius.

[...]
Quoting an old post... Maybe that's because Jason from Instruo is/was an active Jazz musician. He knows a lot about musical theory and harmony
Old 24th April 2019
So that Harmonaig... How does it work when you use it as a normal quantizer, to use it with one VCO, instead of using the chord functionality?

Do you simply take the R-out and is that your quantized signal?
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
So that Harmonaig... How does it work when you use it as a normal quantizer, to use it with one VCO, instead of using the chord functionality?

Do you simply take the R-out and is that your quantized signal?
Yep. When doing this, you can turn up the slew on 3rd, 5th, and 7th to get three pitch related smooth CVs for modulation.

Lately I've been using mine with just root to play simple melodies with the keypad too.
Old 24th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Yep. When doing this, you can turn up the slew on 3rd, 5th, and 7th to get three pitch related smooth CVs for modulation.

Lately I've been using mine with just root to play simple melodies with the keypad too.
Awesome, that sounds perfect!
Old 29th April 2019
Gear Head

Just want to throw in one that hasn't been mentioned but happens to sit in my rack: The TipTop Quantizer. Ultrafast and accurate and perhaps most important and what makes it unique : it is very hands-on. Real time editing of scales, transposition and variable portmanto. major and minor scales across all root notes are available swell as 24 fully user programmable scales. Has been and is working like a charm for me. Little extra: 512 step sequencer...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search