The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
which quantizers are good?
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Here's a stupid newb question:

How do the 'digital' quantizers like o_C basically work - is it just a digitally controlled pitch change of the analogue waveform that goes in, or something else? Surely no AD/DA of the audio, I hope!
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Here's a stupid newb question:

How do the 'digital' quantizers like o_C basically work - is it just a digitally controlled pitch change of the analogue waveform that goes in, or something else? Surely no AD/DA of the audio, I hope!
Audio doesn’t pass through a quantizer (traditionally, I’m sure there are probably cool sounding ways to abuse one), the Pitch CV does; it goes from the source into the Quantizer into whatever VCO is receiving the pitch control voltage.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quantizers just affect the pitch CV, adjusting it and passing it on to the oscillators you want in tune.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Audio doesn’t pass through a quantizer
dooh of course it doesn't! Thanks for waking me up from my confusion.

But I still wonder: in a digital quantizer, like Ornament & Crime, is the pitch control voltage converted to digital (ones and zeros), then the pitch changed, and then converted back to analogue? I.e. does the quantizer introduce a slight latency and maybe also some rigidness (as in DCO vs VCO) to the pitch?
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

But I still wonder: in a digital quantizer, like Ornament & Crime, is the pitch control voltage converted to digital (ones and zeros), then the pitch changed, and then converted back to analogue? I.e. does the quantizer introduce a slight latency and maybe also some rigidness (as in DCO vs VCO) to the pitch?
VCO's still drift, so the rigidness is kind of a nonissue. As far as latency, it depends on the quantizer. Admittedly, I haven't explored O_C as much as I should have, but the built-in quantizers on Tides and Braids have no problem. The Doepfer quantizer (while very simplistic) has no latency to it at all. On the other hand, the Blue Lantern Duo Quantizer has latency and so many other problems.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

All quantizer have some sort of latency, that's the different between good ones and crap. With a good one, it's quick enough that you won't hear it, but you might still have trouble with some more complex patches like trying to grab pitch with a S/H based on a trigger accompanying the pitch change.

O_C is really fast and has a few tricks like quantizing on trigger to work around some of those issues.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks to all of you! Looks like the O_c is very a strong candidate.

I've managed to avoid menu-diver modules until now so maybe I could live with this one. As space is getting thight in my Mantis, I'd probably go for the 8HP version which still seems ergonomic enough, as it's only two pots and they are normal sized.
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaanzink View Post
Just want to throw in one that hasn't been mentioned but happens to sit in my rack: The TipTop Quantizer. Ultrafast and accurate and perhaps most important and what makes it unique : it is very hands-on. Real time editing of scales, transposition and variable portmanto. major and minor scales across all root notes are available swell as 24 fully user programmable scales. Has been and is working like a charm for me. Little extra: 512 step sequencer...
+1. Love the tiptop. Very musical and playable.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

The Tip Top looks cool and fun, here is a very good demo (10:00 onwards especially).

However, there is still plenty of menu diving so I wonder if it's all that more fun than the o_C. Moreover, o_C is 4 channels + tons of other functions and only 8HP. That said I believe that it's equally important to compare modules in practice than on paper.
Old 28th May 2019
What quanztizer to go for if you have zero knowledge of music theory. So manually setting things is a no-go for me

I'd love to have CV control to get things to move

The Arpitecht seems like a good candidate, any other?
Old 28th May 2019
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
What quanztizer to go for if you have zero knowledge of music theory. So manually setting things is a no-go for me

I'd love to have CV control to get things to move

The Arpitecht seems like a good candidate, any other?
It's not that hard to set something to pentatonic C minor . I also wouldn't really call Arpitect a quantizer, and you'll definate want the Triad module if you try and use it that way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search