The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In a quandary over quantizers... Modular Synthesizers
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

In a quandary over quantizers...

I have an intellijel uScaleII and it's brilliant, really great. For the size, price, and functionality I am hard-pressed to find its rival. That being said, I have need for a 2nd quantizer in my box. This puts me in the position of needing to hear from you guys what you like and dislike about the quantizers that you use, if you please. Otherwise I'm just going to get another uScaleII because I know how to use it and I know I can rely on it. My gut tells me that is shortsighted though, that i could be missing out on some cool functions that I don't already have. But then I remember the growing pains of learning the uScale and think how easy it would be to not have to learn more stuff. But then I think about Alzheimer's and how learning is what keeps it away...the quandary goes deep...
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Ornament & Crime. AMAZING quantizer.

Fair warning.. it also does a ton of other stuff and you'll end up wanting 2.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post

I'm sure it is an amazing module, but it's not going in my rig. I just don't do screens or multimode stuff, it annoys me. Prefer plug-and-play to unholy divers.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post

Slaughter’s a lost cause on that one, even though O_C is best quantizer out there.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

A Disting?

(kidding)

Old 22nd February 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I'm sure it is an amazing module, but it's not going in my rig. I just don't do screens or multimode stuff, it annoys me. Prefer plug-and-play to unholy divers.
Yeah, finally someone who agree with me on this. No matter what type of module is being discussed on forums here and otherwhere it takes about 5 seconds before someone brings up O_C and Disting - the modules that do EVERYTHING MUCH BETTER!!!! Pretty sure there must be someone out there with a huge system consisting only of 1 Maths, 1 Clouds, some VCAs, a few Peaks, and a sh!t-ton of O_Cs and Distings

I also dislike Peaks and Tides

Back to the topic; I have a 2hp Tune quantiser for sale. It served me well when I had a smaller system, nothing wrong with this module apart from the size and that it's very basic. Recently got ahold of a secondhand Addac207, the quantiser I always wanted, just need to RTFM and wiggle it some more now.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterPhase View Post
Yeah, finally someone who agree with me on this. No matter what type of module is being discussed on forums here and otherwhere it takes about 5 seconds before someone brings up O_C and Disting - the modules that do EVERYTHING MUCH BETTER!!!! Pretty sure there must be someone out there with a huge system consisting only of 1 Maths, 1 Clouds, some VCAs, a few Peaks, and a sh!t-ton of O_Cs and Distings

I also dislike Peaks and Tides

Back to the topic; I have a 2hp Tune quantiser for sale. It served me well when I had a smaller system, nothing wrong with this module apart from the size and that it's very basic. Recently got ahold of a secondhand Addac207, the quantiser I always wanted, just need to RTFM and wiggle it some more now.
I basically asked for people to tell me that though, so I can’t hold it against them.

Congrats on the ADDAC, those have always caught my eye but I’ve never been able to bite the bullet on that one. Maybe I should rethink...
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

I get the lack of interest in OC and Disting. I don't really want to deep dive menus/hidden functions on the modular either.

I don't own any quantizers at this time but I have been seriously lusting after the Doepfer one. 2 channels with CV transpose seems awesome (seems perfect for the man with 2 brains). I've also been looking a bit at the really small ones like Erica and 2hp.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I get the lack of interest in OC and Disting. I don't really want to deep dive menus/hidden functions on the modular either.

I don't own any quantizers at this time but I have been seriously lusting after the Doepfer one. 2 channels with CV transpose seems awesome (seems perfect for the man with 2 brains). I've also been looking a bit at the really small ones like Erica and 2hp.
FYI ... The ADDAC quad quantizer is a hell of a lot more complicated to use than an O_C.
Old 22nd February 2018
Here for the gear

Does anyone have experiance with the Penrose quantizer its popped up a few times when i’ve been on the lookout.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Just bought the Instruo Harmonaig. Probably the best quantizer I've used (previously owned uScaleII and currently have O&C). Ultra playable. Has lots of music theory built into the module. The harmonic/chord aspect is amazing.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Out of the three quantizers I own (four if you count Disting) O_C is the workhorse of the bunch. I know menu diving isn't appealing, but once you're in quad quantizer mode, it's pretty much set and forget, and really easy to change scales and such on. I don't consider this a menu-diving module. Future Retro Transient on the other hand...
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Just bought the Instruo Harmonaig. Probably the best quantizer I've used (previously owned uScaleII and currently have O&C). Ultra playable. Has lots of music theory built into the module. The harmonic/chord aspect is amazing.
Where did you find a Harmonaig at? It’s not even listed on the Instruo web site.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Out of the three quantizers I own (four if you count Disting) O_C is the workhorse of the bunch. I know menu diving isn't appealing, but once you're in quad quantizer mode, it's pretty much set and forget, and really easy to change scales and such on. I don't consider this a menu-diving module. Future Retro Transient on the other hand...
Transient is dead to me. After such high hopes....

But I am starting to bend a little after your description of quad quantizing. I didn’t realize it could do 4 at once, I actually need that believe it or not. I thought the ADDAC was the only game in town for that...
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
But I am starting to bend a little after your description of quad quantizing.
After reading the 7 pages of how to use the O_C quantizer...
Old 22nd February 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
That's why you should go for the Addac207. The guy who sold it to me also sent the printed manual. All 31 A4 pages of it. Much better value for money compared to the measly 7 pages for the O_C.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm kind of with you there. After my new found appreciation of Disting I'll never say never but when I was looking at the o_c I ended up going for an Apritect. I won't say the Apritect is perfect. I would love it if I could click the notes leds to select a scale rather than using the fiddly notes and scale knobs but aside from that it really delivers. You can use it as a normal quantizer or arpeggiator but it really comes alive with CV and turns into a generative melody monster.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterPhase View Post
That's why you should go for the Addac207. The guy who sold it to me also sent the printed manual. All 31 A4 pages of it. Much better value for money compared to the measly 7 pages for the O_C.
It's true. I looked over the ADDAC too, and it's more than I signed up for. My uScale manual is 15 pages of what reminds me of a vintage Roland drum machine manual. I only was able to learn how to use it because of this-

@bloodsample is an amazing explainer. This video "saved" the uScale from my reverb store.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
It's a possible candidate. Kinda big though. Off to re-read that manual, haven't read it since that one came out...
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Maniac
ornaments crime is probably the best bang for the buck.. much better than uscale aswell plus you get 4 quantizers in 8hp (if u get the micro o_C)
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

But I am starting to bend a little after your description of quad quantizing. I didn’t realize it could do 4 at once, I actually need that believe it or not. I thought the ADDAC was the only game in town for that...
and each of those quantizers can also be a turing machine.
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Hmmm,
I have bought a uO&C. Glad I did it, yeah it is bang for the buck....Otah, I can imagine the moment I swap it for a ‘no screen quad quantiser’. But I need the money for other modules and a case, so in the mean time I enjoy my quad quantiser with a tiny screen

Why not buy and try a O&C? You always can sell it and buy a second uScale instead.....
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Hmmm,
I have bought a uO&C. Glad I did it, yeah it is bang for the buck....Otah, I can imagine the moment I swap it for a ‘no screen quad quantiser’. But I need the money for other modules and a case, so in the mean time I enjoy my quad quantiser with a tiny screen

Why not buy and try a O&C? You always can sell it and buy a second uScale instead.....
And a good friend of the Z8000
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Instruo Quad Performance Quantizer?

It's on the expensive side and requires a MIDI input to select which notes are allowed but no menus and just three simple modes selected by a single toggle switch.
Instruō Quad Performance Quantizer - Eurorack Module on ModularGrid

It can be a little overly sensitive to when it fires (rapid firing when voltages are on the threshold, particularly when trying to quantize LFOs etc) but I haven't taken the time yet to work with the manufacturer yet to see if this can be improved.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Where did you find a Harmonaig at? It’s not even listed on the Instruo web site.
Use their contact email on their website and request it as a custom build. He does small batches... might have some ready or would soon.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Instruo Quad Performance Quantizer?

It's on the expensive side and requires a MIDI input to select which notes are allowed but no menus and just three simple modes selected by a single toggle switch.
Instruō Quad Performance Quantizer - Eurorack Module on ModularGrid

It can be a little overly sensitive to when it fires (rapid firing when voltages are on the threshold, particularly when trying to quantize LFOs etc) but I haven't taken the time yet to work with the manufacturer yet to see if this can be improved.
Thanks for the suggestion John. I've looked at that one before and wondered about it. The midi thing is a ridiculous dealbreaker though. I only own one thing with a midi out on it anymore (Nektar P4), and I'm not lugging it around with me just to make a new patch...
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion John. I've looked at that one before and wondered about it. The midi thing is a ridiculous dealbreaker though. I only own one thing with a midi out on it anymore (Nektar P4), and I'm not lugging it around with me just to make a new patch...
I agree that it would be a much more valuable module if the note LEDs were buttons so that manual selection without a keyboard would be possible.

I haven't tried it yet but I do have two sequencers in the case that have MIDI out so I plann to try some patches just using the sequencers (Yarns and SQ816) to control the Instruo QPQ.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I haven't tried it yet but I do have two sequencers in the case that have MIDI out so I plan to try some patches just using the sequencers (Yarns and SQ816) to control the Instruo QPQ.
OK! Since I've been meaning to try it I did a quick two voice patch and sent both the CV and MIDI out of the Division 6 SQ816 sequencer to the inputs of the Instruo QPQ and I got some nice results, especially by switching between the three modes. (the three modes are momentary, latch, and toggle)

Here's an Instagram of the test:
John Rice on Instagram: “Quick test using the @division6labs SQ816 sequencer’s MIDI out to control the @Instruomedia Quad Performance Quantizer. Some interesting…”

EDIT: here's a longer and better quality video of the same stuff:

Last edited by ImJohn; 23rd February 2018 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: added new video
Old 23rd February 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

slaughtrhaus, the only thing I am sometimes missing on my uScale is automatic gate-generation on note-changes and if you miss it too, I‘d look into ones that can do that.
Whenever I want to simply quantize say a sine wave LFO into an arpeggio I have to route the LFO CV through a S&H with external gates from somewhere else per note to prevent the uScale to change notes during the gate times. But maybe I am missing something here.
But if you solved this already, a second uScale would be my choice for the very same reasons you stated.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Whenever I want to simply quantize say a sine wave LFO into an arpeggio I have to route the LFO CV through a S&H with external gates from somewhere else per note to prevent the uScale to change notes during the gate times. But maybe I am missing something here.
That's typical behavior for quantizers. It's why when you're running weird modulation sources, you really want to have some gates to go along with it to lock the notes in place between gates.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search