The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting more mileage out of Grids Microphone Accessories
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Getting more mileage out of Grids

In another thread one of you guys mentoned something about eventually getting sort of bored with the fixed set of patterns Grids is capable of, which is making me a touch leery to get one.

I'm wondering what other modules you could put after it to get more variations, such as Branches or the like.

Are any of you doing that sort of thing already?
Old 2 days ago
For what it's worth, if you have Ableton & Max For Live, there's a M4L version of Grids. It's obviously not a replacement, but it's a direct port of the module code into a max device and might give you an idea as to how you'd like using one.

I've been playing with it the last couple nights, sending patterns to my drum brute and using a Midi LFO to automate the fill rates. I don't have any drum modules yet but being able to experiment with the software makes me think I may want one one of these days.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I usually use Grids on top of a programmed beat. Depending on what you have and how you route things, maybe a gate sequencer. Asides from some LFOs or modulation sources, there’s more than enough in that box to keep you happy.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutek View Post
I've been playing with it the last couple nights, sending patterns to my drum brute and using a Midi LFO to automate the fill rates. I don't have any drum modules yet but being able to experiment with the software makes me think I may want one one of these days.
Mind posting some of that? I'd like to hear it.
Old 2 days ago
I'd be happy to, but I haven't been recording. I'll record a little tomorrow night and post though.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Grids is very cool, especially at first. The patterns it are neat and it's easy to add variety with the trigger controls and chaos knob. It does get a little stale using it that way after a while, though. Void's suggestion is a good one and one I'd like to try myself. What I've been doing make Grids earn its worth is to do the Venetian Snares thing, and send it bursts of triggers so that it acts kind of like a spastic drum fill machine. Also, I've found that using it to trigger melodic sounds instead of just drums is great for getting some interesting melodic patterns. This was done with an SMR getting played with Grids:

Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Grids is very cool, especially at first. The patterns it are neat and it's easy to add variety with the trigger controls and chaos knob. It does get a little stale using it that way after a while, though. Void's suggestion is a good one and one I'd like to try myself. What I've been doing make Grids earn its worth is to do the Venetian Snares thing, and send it bursts of triggers so that it acts kind of like a spastic drum fill machine. Also, I've found that using it to trigger melodic sounds instead of just drums is great for getting some interesting melodic patterns. This was done with an SMR getting played with Grids:

That was cool.

What's an SMR?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search