The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anything for it when a module doesn't like your sequencer's clock gates or triggers? Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Anything for it when a module doesn't like your sequencer's clock gates or triggers?

G.M.O won't fire off Circadian Rhythm trigs or gates.
Pithoprakta doesn't like 4MS QCD clock.
4MS QCD doesn't like CR's reset.
Just wondering if there's a way to fix this kind of stuff somehow?
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Nothing likes Pamela's New Workout resets. Freaking annoying.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

RTFM...

are they expecting 8v gates, but you're just feeding them 5v gates?
dopefer set the standard for eurorack at 5v, but some guys don't play nice and want a little more. I think this has to do with digital modules running off 12v.

to get that 5v hotter you can run it through a clean amp like the Doepfer A-183-3, ADDAC amps, or the Circuit Abbey Gozinta

sometimes the gate just needs to run through a buffered mult (I don't know why, but I've seen this solve problems)
Old 14th February 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

Usually the trigger/gate signals are too short for the receiving module.
Maybe a slew limiter with a short rise and longer fall can lengthen them?
Old 14th February 2018
Interesting.
I haven't had a problem with my GMO yet.
I did try and trigger a Roland sampler with a modular trigger, and that was too short. It triggered, but the drum sound was just a blip, instead of a drum.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Two things: 1.) With CR, you can change its output from triggers to gates. It's a pain in the ass because you have to do it for each note entry, but it is possible. 2.) If you have an overdrive not in use, try running the trigger through that first. Grids output is kinda low, but running it through distortion gives it enough gain to trigger drum modules that aren't that sensitive.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Two things: 1.) With CR, you can change its output from triggers to gates. It's a pain in the ass because you have to do it for each note entry, but it is possible. 2.) If you have an overdrive not in use, try running the trigger through that first. Grids output is kinda low, but running it through distortion gives it enough gain to trigger drum modules that aren't that sensitive.
The gate thing on CR is easy, just hold the beginning and end right? Or am I doing that wrong too?

I never had this problem with Grids, it triggered everything. I'm still not even positive if the reset works on my CR lolz...off to test it now I guess.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The gate thing on CR is easy, just hold the beginning and end right? Or am I doing that wrong too?
It is that easy, but imagine having to do it for every step. Particularly annoying if you just want 16th note gates. The clockable delays on Z-DSP are annoying with CR because it only responds to 8th notes and they have to be programmed for the entirety of the pattern. I have trouble believing they couldn't be programmed to just respond to a normal clock.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Found something for this one-

Quote:
MY "BANG" INPUT ISN'T WORKING!

The GMØ døesn't like super skinny trigger pulses. Søme mødules øutput trigger signals that are tøø quick før the GMØ tø catch. If the trigger signal yøu're feeding the GMØ has "gate" øutput ability rather than "trigger" give that a shøt. If yøu have the capability tø lengthen the pulse width øf the incøming trigger, give that a shøt. Circadian Rhythm user? Page 22 øf their awesøme user manual has details øn høw tø vary the pulse width øf the gate time - we've gøtten a small handful øf emails abøut this sequencer specifically. If none øf thøse things wørked please shøøt us an email at [email protected].

Gonna see what I can do with this info.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Found something for this one-

Gonna see what I can do with this info.
Page 22 is how to make a gate instead of a trig, I tried that before I even looked online.
Old 15th February 2018
So, shoot them an email.

They seem like really cool, friendly guys (Moffenzeef).

I feel your pain though. Crazy some of the format conflicts between fairly basic modules.
A trigger sequencer should trigger percussion modules.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
So, shoot them an email.

They seem like really cool, friendly guys (Moffenzeef).
Yeah I emailed yesterday and heard back almost instantly. I'm going to meet up with Ross in the next day or so and he's going to have a look at it. And yes he is very helpful and friendly.

Quote:
I feel your pain though. Crazy some of the format conflicts between fairly basic modules.

A trigger sequencer should trigger percussion modules.
This part is hard for me to understand for sure, when I first read the bit in the FAQ I caught myself thinking "you didn't even test your stuff with a CR, it's a fvckin CR".You know, God's gift to sequencers, because it's the one I own...

But then I remembered how hard it is to make a module (which you and I have discussed previously) and got my thinking straight.
Old 15th February 2018
CR is expensive around these parts.
I have a complete drum oriented rack and I haven't been able to justify a CR yet.
I'm not surprised they didn't test it, unless Tip Top would lend them one.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

that's why everyone should adhere to euro standard set by Dieter Döpfer back in the '90s
Old 15th February 2018
Yep, absolutely.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
CR is expensive around these parts.
I have a complete drum oriented rack and I haven't been able to justify a CR yet.
I'm not surprised they didn't test it, unless Tip Top would lend them one.
Yeah totally, my description of that thought process occurred in a nanosecond before I came around to that reality. It seems to trigger from everything else in my rig that has the ability though...so it is a curious inconsistency when the CR triggers everything else in the rig that can be triggered...

I am only obsessing over this stuff because this is what I obsess over by the way, I love my G.M.O. and if it has to be triggered differently then I will manage. I am totally gassing for the VSL Envelope now too that delayed trigger thing looks awesome for some stuff I would like to do. The GMO would inevitably be triggered by the envelope because of how I like use it, as the "random" drum.

Now all somebody has to do is explain why I need something like the Dual CEM when I already have something like the Furthrrr Generator (aren't they similar?) to make me a full-on VSL fanboi...
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just figured out the QCD is the problem. It resets incorrectly no matter what I send it. The "1" becomes the "2" and my Pithoprakta (which works fine if I skip the QCD) goes 2-1 2-1 2-1 instead of 1-2 1-2 1-2.

The QCD seems to be the only thing I can't work around and that really screws my pooch. It's been a mainstay in my workflow for years and I depend on it. I need something that will easily change the clock speed on the fly and allow me to modulate it too. but I really need it to reset correctly and go back to the friggin 1 more than anything. I have no idea how I am going to deal with this...*falls on sword*
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just figured out the QCD is the problem. It resets incorrectly no matter what I send it. The "1" becomes the "2" and my Pithoprakta (which works fine if I skip the QCD) goes 2-1 2-1 2-1 instead of 1-2 1-2 1-2.

The QCD seems to be the only thing I can't work around and that really screws my pooch. It's been a mainstay in my workflow for years and I depend on it. I need something that will easily change the clock speed on the fly and allow me to modulate it too. but I really need it to reset correctly and go back to the friggin 1 more than anything. I have no idea how I am going to deal with this...*falls on sword*
So hopefully I have found the fix. There's a firmware update that I need to do that supposedly cures the disease. Now I gotta buy one of those Arduino thingies to do it...yay, stuff!

If it works I will be happy that I can keep it.
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Also found out my Octocontroller needs a firmware upgrade as well, and it uses something different from what I already have. At least with the GMO it's just a USB C cable. These one-off cables and programmers are annoying but at least the fixes exist...
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also found out my Octocontroller needs a firmware upgrade as well, and it uses something different from what I already have. At least with the GMO it's just a USB C cable. These one-off cables and programmers are annoying but at least the fixes exist...
Careful there, it’s USB type B.
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Careful there, it’s USB type B.
Yeah thanks, luckily “check 400 times to make sure you have the right thing” paranoia is just built in at this point in my modular odyssey.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search