The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Integrating Modular into DAW setup Modular Synthesizers
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Integrating Modular into DAW setup

How do you guys use your Modular within a DAW environment?
I have Pitsburg Liveforms SV-1 and KB-1 but i can not sync it with Cubase.
Should i sync it via midi in or via clock i/o?
I have also very sugnificant noise when taking audio from phones jack. Are all modulars so noisy? It looks quite hard to put modular gear into a daw track, or may be it should be used only in live setup or some kind of experiments?
What is your experience here?
Old 11th February 2018
Here for the gear

I use the Intellijel Audio Interface ii. It’s really just that simple.
Old 11th February 2018
How is your computer audio interface set up?
I can go from any modular VCA in to mine. Or I can use a modular audio output.
Controlling your modular can be more than one way. If you are using a modular sequencer, then yes you can just clock it from the DAW.
If you want to play programmed notes, then you'll use a midi to cv interface, or cv and gate out of the DAW using Reaktor Blocks or Expert Sleepers.
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

Vermona qMI2 Midi interface for sync.
Audio goes to my mixer.
Stuff gets recorded from there.

Thats it. Just like any other hardware synth.
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Head

CVPal. Cheap and easy.
Old 11th February 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

When I am using my DAW, a MIDI-clock will go out of Pro Tools or Ableton Live into a Beatstep Pro or Korg SQ-1 where it will be converted to a modular clock.
I am not using MIDI, so only audio is going back into several (usually four) line inputs of my M-Audio 2626 (24 analog ins through 2xBehringer ADA8000‘s).
No output modules, everything goes straight from a VCA, a mixer module or the module output directly into the audio interface.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

SV-1 has a built-in MIDI interface. Just send MIDI notes into the SV-1, and your CV/Gate controls are pre-patched. Also, don't use the headphones output to record from. Use the 'Main' output instead.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

I prefer Audio Clocks instead of Midi Clock. MC has a measurable jitter, and this can effect the groove and some modules that are sensitive to time calculations (Pamela's, Tempi, Echophon, etc). For Audio Clock, I've used Expert Sleepers ES3 and E-RM Multiclock. Both are sample accurate sync solutions.
Old 13th March 2018
My room is set with the mix desk with a Slate Raven, and an Novation SL61MkII master keyboard underneath, on the front wall and the large 5U system on the back wall with its own set of keyboards including another SL49MkII. There are 16 channels of audio and USB running from the front to the rear walls through snakes.

I come out of Cubase via USB to an Encore Expressionist (in one of the rear wall racks) which then gives me 8 channels of CV and Trig, plus Clock, for the modular wall. I also use USB to sync a Social Entropy Engine with CV outs which sits under the modular. The SL49MkII can also send midi which is converted by the Expressionist to play the synth, as well as controlling transport and mix elements of the DAW.

Audio back to the DAW goes to 4 direct patchbay points and another 4 patchbay points from the output of a Krisp clone of a Moog 984 mixer in my bottom modular cabinet. That patchbay connects through the snake to a patchbay on the front wall which is normaled into 8 inputs on one of 2 Steinberg MR816s.

Getting sync out of Cubase is just a matter of setting the transport out and sync out controls in the device panel and routing them to the various other device ports.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
When I am using my DAW, a MIDI-clock will go out of Pro Tools or Ableton Live into a Beatstep Pro or Korg SQ-1 where it will be converted to a modular clock.
I am not using MIDI, so only audio is going back into several (usually four) line inputs of my M-Audio 2626 (24 analog ins through 2xBehringer ADA8000‘s).
No output modules, everything goes straight from a VCA, a mixer module or the module output directly into the audio interface.
I'd pay to see that on youtube.
Old 14th March 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I'd pay to see that on youtube.
Why exactly?
It's quite straightforward:
MIDI: DAW-MIDI output -> Modular Clock signals through a MIDI->Clock converter
Audio: Modular output -> DAW input
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'd love to see it with several analogs and a drum box like a 909. Non midi.
See it...

Look mum no computer has a video of rack analogs and the BSP and a modular at the university of IRL.

Impressive

Last edited by Jaybird; 14th March 2018 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: I ate beets pee red 911!
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I'd love to see it with several analogs and a drum box like a 909. Non midi.
See it...

Look mum no computer has a video of rack analogs and the BSP and a modular at the university of IRL.

Impressive
a 909 has midi
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I use Pro Tools with a Digital 192 ADAT> Expert Sleepers ES-3 ... works great ... The Silent Way plugin suite is awesome ... I control my various Modular stuff this way (Moog, Polyfusion, Roland 100m etc .. )

I would like to be able to sync up some of my old roland boxes, so looking into getting the Expert Sleepers ESX-8MD MIDI/DINsync Expander ... for now, I just use a Kenton Pro Solo to sync my x0x boxes or 303 to my DAW.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Anyone bought and used the CLICK (with Cubase)?
Still looking for alternatives to clock PNW from the DAW, so I can sell my Elektron AK (DAW has to be the master.)
There are some simple midi to clock modules, but PNW seems a PITA with midiclock. And CLICK IS 0hp.......
I just posted this in ‘general chitchat’, but why not here
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

You could try one of these.

A-190-8

I bought one, but due to issues with Pamela's needing to be the master to be reliable and not flam, I'm not using it at the moment.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I clock PNW with both E-RM Multiclock and Expert Sleepers ES-3 running Silent Way. Just have to match up your settings correctly and all is well.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

My setup, which covers both midi and CV gear, is as follows:

Ableton Live<Expert Sleepers USAMO<Squarp Pyramid<iConnectivity Mio10<the rest of my gear (modular via Yarns).

Basically this keeps everything in time with my DAW thanks to the sample accurate timing of the USAMO and the ultra low latency of the Pyramid and Mio10. So as an example I can play a part on my Push 2 into the Pyramid and it automagically transfers to whatever I’m controlling, and the timing is tight enough that the incoming audio into my DAW is received with no/imperceptible lag to the point that I can use tempo based effects like delay in real time and just get on with recording and making music. Theoretically if I was to ditch the UASMO/Pyramid/Mio10 I could probably have the same kind of tightness with Reaktor 6 or M4L and my Motu Ultralite or a suitable Expert Sleepers module, but that’s not really conducive to my needs. It took me a while to work out this setup but I’ve been using it for a while and love it, so feel free to ask questions.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
I clock PNW with both E-RM Multiclock and Expert Sleepers ES-3 running Silent Way. Just have to match up your settings correctly and all is well.
ES 3 has adat lightpipe input, so the regular audio-interface is not compatible with it, isn’t it?
I have a Akai pro interface with midi and USB.......
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Nut

Make Noise uploaded a video a couple of days ago regarding this

Old 30th March 2018
I use a few different means to get timing to the sequencers from Cubase midi and dinsync then mix everything down to 8 channels of a Mackie 1604 before the audio interface back in to Cubase.

I use a Mode Machines midi to dinsync converter and/or a Future Retro Mobius to generate 24ppq clock and reset for the STG Time Buffer in the 5U and Pamela's Workout in the Eurorack. I also have a Moon 553 Midi to Clock module for start/stop/reset duties and can pick up some other pulse timings there as well.

I also use a MOTM 650 quad midi interface for pitch, gate and CC duties and a Tubbutec uTune for tuning tables. I have a dotcom Q172 quantizer for loading scales in and it can be used as a way to send midi notes out from a sequencer or other modular cv/gate source to either the audio interface for recording to Cubase or send direct to any other midi synth in the studio.

Periodically there can be a bit of lag back into the DAW if multi-tracking but most of the time I can run all that and some sequencers/arpeggiators on the keyboards without any difficulties. I don't have any drum machines at the moment but I used to deal with them without any problems either.

The use of dinsync has some advantages as far as cleaner and steadier timings but midi clock can present a hazardous step in between. The timing between the STG Time Buffer and Pam's Workout are very dependable with the Mode Machines converter. I split off from the Time Buffer and when it hits the Eurorack I divide up the dinsync clock/reset signals with a buffered mult and siphon them off to the Pams Workout, Metropolis and 4MS QCD for timing. I have modified my Time Buffer with a toggle switch to stop the dinsync clock to it all. That way I can actually kill everything without stopping midi clock from the DAW. Any reverb tails, drones and envelope releases trail off correctly to the recorded track during a take.

I spend my money on the instruments and have a modest Focusrite Pro14 interface with Cubase 5 on an older iMac and MOTU midi routers but it works. Knock on wood.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search