The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Beatstep pro video, take a look!
Old 2nd February 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
Beatstep pro video, take a look!

not me,

Im looking for a "little bit of kit" for a little pick me up (gear crack)

So he is using a beatstep pro co pretty much act as the main sequencer.
I have a few vintage kits id like to get all "Happy" with CV.

Also my mini moog has midi upgrade!
TR-909 has DIN and bad bad midi.

There any draw backs to the beatstep pro?

I really want to know if it could midi sync with a 909? I have V1 909.

Old 2nd February 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
not me,

Im looking for a "little bit of kit" for a little pick me up (gear crack)

So he is using a beatstep pro co pretty much act as the main sequencer.
I have a few vintage kits id like to get all "Happy" with CV.

Also my mini moog has midi upgrade!
TR-909 has DIN and bad bad midi.

There any draw backs to the beatstep pro?

I really want to know if it could midi sync with a 909? I have V1 909.

I'd use DIN Sync with the BSP / 909 instead of MIDI. The BSP does 24ppqn so you should be all set.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
BSP is cheap and awesome. If I weren't so stubborn about staying in the rack, I'd have one still. The only complaint I can think of is that some of the default settings on it are wonky, so even if you don't plan to use it with a computer, you do need a computer to fix these things.
Old 4th February 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
BSP is cheap and awesome. If I weren't so stubborn about staying in the rack, I'd have one still. The only complaint I can think of is that some of the default settings on it are wonky, so even if you don't plan to use it with a computer, you do need a computer to fix these things.
Yes.. for about $200 you get 2 channels of sequencers with pitch/gate and CV that you can use for whatever. Plus 8 channels of drum/trigger sequencing..

All with random, swing, etc, plus MIDI, clock... it's a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 6th February 2018
  #5
Beatstep Pro is a total non-brainer.

Just don't rely on it to store your stuff, as I had to reset my unit quite a few times. Seems it like it gets weird as you store projects, eventually becoming totally erratic, but a reset fixes it....or at least until the next cycle.

Sync with my other hardware is good as long as I don't use USB, which only works if I'm using it on its own for soft synths and nothing else.

And as Derp said a visit to the software is kind of necessary. You can remap the entire drum sequencer, which is great.

Now if I could only find a black version...should've picked it up when I had the chance!
Old 16th February 2018
  #6
I specifically got the BSP to journey more into CV, and the Volca Sample update.
I am really interested in what hearing what rec's/ people have hooked up to the drum trigs....
one sequencer runs the 0Coast and the other sometimes Volca FM.
I would really like something in one unit, ideally such as a Moog DFAM but with seperate trigs.
Anything like that? Maybe I am looking at the Assimil8r too- it's actually quite reasonable what they're pricing it as and seems to be a right fit for my setup.
Apparently, the gentle warning in the BSP manual suggesting not every device is fully compatible- I have mainly a sampler-based setup and experienced the SP555 just stop playing when MIDI synced to BSP.
So i actually reversed it, the 555 as master clock via a thru box. The tempo drifts in between whole numbers, but only occasionally. I generally prefer gear that has it's own internal sequencer and just use MIDI for clock.
Old 16th February 2018
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
I specifically got the BSP to journey more into CV, and the Volca Sample update.
I am really interested in what hearing what rec's/ people have hooked up to the drum trigs....
one sequencer runs the 0Coast and the other sometimes Volca FM.
I would really like something in one unit, ideally such as a Moog DFAM but with seperate trigs.
Anything like that? Maybe I am looking at the Assimil8r too- it's actually quite reasonable what they're pricing it as and seems to be a right fit for my setup.
Apparently, the gentle warning in the BSP manual suggesting not every device is fully compatible- I have mainly a sampler-based setup and experienced the SP555 just stop playing when MIDI synced to BSP.
So i actually reversed it, the 555 as master clock via a thru box. The tempo drifts in between whole numbers, but only occasionally. I generally prefer gear that has it's own internal sequencer and just use MIDI for clock.
I have found cv clock to be much tighter than midi in general. The assimilator looks amazing but will take a platoon of modules just to run it right imo. Check out Morphagene too.
Old 16th February 2018
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
a bunch of nonsense about clocks and crap.
Stuff nobody really cares about.
Off topic, but I like your music, man!
Old 16th February 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
So as much as I love it I've always complained about the BSP missing a start/stop CV output. My workaround has been to assign one of the triggers to reset. The problem with that is once you introduce any random there's always a chance that trigger will get shifted somewhere else in the sequence, throwing off your reset.

Last night I found out the clock out is actually TRS and guess what's on the ring. That's right start/stop. You need one of those TRS split to 2xTS cables like come with the QuNexus CV Cable Kit but there it is and here's me eating crow.

Old 16th February 2018
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Last night I found out the clock out is actually TRS and guess what's on the ring. That's right start/stop. You need one of those TRS split to 2xTS cables like come with the QuNexus CV Cable Kit but there it is and here's me eating crow.
I had no idea! Good find, dude!
Old 16th February 2018
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
So as much as I love it I've always complained about the BSP missing a start/stop CV output. My workaround has been to assign one of the triggers to reset. The problem with that is once you introduce any random there's always a chance that trigger will get shifted somewhere else in the sequence, throwing off your reset.

Last night I found out the clock out is actually TRS and guess what's on the ring. That's right start/stop. You need one of those TRS split to 2xTS cables like come with the QuNexus CV Cable Kit but there it is and here's me eating crow.
This is one of the things that kept me from getting one. I still don't want one but this is good information to know in case that changes, very good find.
Old 16th February 2018
  #13
1/8th inch, or 3.5mm. Not 1/4 in or 7mm.
Old 4th September 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
help I needZ's Help
Also a 909, Its been a year and no cables still.
Attached Thumbnails
Beatstep pro video, take a look!-70412071_2565464696843202_2233476044386467840_n.jpg  
Old 5th September 2019
  #16
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
help I needZ's Help
Also a 909, Its been a year and no cables still.
What's the matter? Seems pretty straightforward here.
Old 5th September 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
Do I need a box spliter or a Y cable?
I DO purchase the wrong cables for a hobby.
Old 5th September 2019
  #18
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Do I need a box spliter or a Y cable?
I DO purchase the wrong cables for a hobby.
For the clock and start signals? Just a y-cable will do the trick.
Old 5th September 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
for this setup I only use clock start and tempo? The BSP wont work as a sequencer on the 303?
I am a noodle head, its just I keep getting the wrong stuff!
Old 5th September 2019
  #20
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
for this setup I only use clock start and tempo? The BSP wont work as a sequencer on the 303?
I am a noodle head, its just I keep getting the wrong stuff!
I'll be honest, I haven't messed with a real 303 before. Doesn't it require some kind of funky Sync connection? This might be better answered in EMI&EMP.
Old 5th September 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
whats EMI&EMP. ?
Old 5th September 2019
  #22
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
whats EMI&EMP. ?
The Electronic Music subforum.
Old 6th September 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'll be honest, I haven't messed with a real 303 before. Doesn't it require some kind of funky Sync connection? This might be better answered in EMI&EMP.
It's just your standard, pre-MIDI, DIN Sync. I have the Expert Sleepers DJ-1200, which is usually sold out. Here's a new option.

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/alm-b...EaAtL0EALw_wcB
Old 6th September 2019
  #24
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
It's just your standard, pre-MIDI, DIN Sync. I have the Expert Sleepers DJ-1200, which is usually sold out. Here's a new option.

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/alm-b...EaAtL0EALw_wcB
I've never messed with DIN Sync. So it's basically just two pins wired up for clock and start signals?

Last edited by Derp; 6th September 2019 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: ducking autocorrect
Old 6th September 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Jaybird's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
So as much as I love it I've always complained about the BSP missing a start/stop CV output. My workaround has been to assign one of the triggers to reset. The problem with that is once you introduce any random there's always a chance that trigger will get shifted somewhere else in the sequence, throwing off your reset.

Last night I found out the clock out is actually TRS and guess what's on the ring. That's right start/stop. You need one of those TRS split to 2xTS cables like come with the QuNexus CV Cable Kit but there it is and here's me eating crow.


Come on help a stupid kid out, this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Keith-McMille...gateway&sr=8-1
Old 6th September 2019
  #26
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Come on help a stupid kid out, this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Keith-McMille...gateway&sr=8-1
If I'm understanding correctly, I believe if you take this one (same as what you had, but cheaper): https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMM-261-...gateway&sr=8-3

And add the cable that Void linked, that should do it.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump