The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Make Noise Morphagene thread. Modular Synthesizers
Old 2nd February 2018
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
all this software is kind of stupid. I can make most if not all of those sounds in the modular. D'OH!
Well yeah.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
You got lost in that granular splicing pit, didn't you? It's okay to admit it. It was a Surachai video of a monologue being spliced up that sold me on getting the Phonogene in the first place.
Not sure I even got to splicing. Mostly turned knobs and got high...
Old 2nd February 2018
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Not sure I even got to splicing. Mostly turned knobs and got high...
You've gotta start that YouTube channel, man. I want to watch this.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
You've gotta start that YouTube channel, man. I want to watch this.
Well it's not like I'm sitting there crushing a 5-foot hookah bong, I vape cannabis oil from a pen, not much to watch.

I'm seriously considering doing a channel on Twitch, I like the community over there, all kinds of folks singing for their supper and doing cool stuff. This guy-
Twitch
was using a Push-looking thing, a Nord rack of some type and a mic to sample his voice and cut it up into cool stuff. Apparently his GF usually plays with him too but she was sick.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Just dawned on me that buying all this glitch software was kind of stupid. I can make most if not all of those sounds in the modular. D'OH!
Old 2nd February 2018
  #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Well it's not like I'm sitting there crushing a 5-foot hookah bong, I vape cannabis oil from a pen, not much to watch.

I'm seriously considering doing a channel on Twitch, I like the community over there, all kinds of folks singing for their supper and doing cool stuff. This guy-
Twitch
was using a Push-looking thing, a Nord rack of some type and a mic to sample his voice and cut it up into cool stuff. Apparently his GF usually plays with him too but she was sick.
Do it! Vape and play and record
Or can we vote for smoke and play and record I have this feeling it will be awesome
Old 2nd February 2018
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Not sure I even got to splicing. Mostly turned knobs and got high...
..
Attached Thumbnails
The Make Noise Morphagene thread.-8b514b1b-60a0-43ae-af83-93489133a735.jpeg  
Old 2nd February 2018
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
TOTALLY different beasts. Normal loops isn't really what the PhonoMorph was intended for. Like Slaughtr says, it can do it, it's just not the best for that job. PhonoMorph is really great at weird granular stuff. Scooper on the other hand, I haven't done a YouTube vid in a long time, but it's on nearly all of them. It's easy to sync and good god are the Scatter effects good.
Yeah, sorry, I could have phrased my question better. I'm real familiar with what the Scooper is capable of. What I meant was, given what the Scooper does (which is more of a known thing), how different is the Morphagene and in what meaningful ways? What new tricks can the Morph do that the Scooper can't, and vice-versa, especially from the perspective of someone who has spent time with both? Like. what are the 2/3/5 things a Morphagene is great at, particularly those things that a Scooper can't even do? How ones one quantify or better understanding the unique "weird granular stuff" is does?

I'd love to see a task/trick based shootout between the two, I guess. I think that's what I missing in terms of understanding their differences and overlap.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Yeah, sorry, I could have phrased my question better. I'm real familiar with what the Scooper is capable of. What I meant was, given what the Scooper does (which is more of a known thing), how different is the Morphagene and in what meaningful ways? What new tricks can the Morph do that the Scooper can't, and vice-versa, especially from the perspective of someone who has spent time with both? Like. what are the 2/3/5 things a Morphagene is great at, particularly those things that a Scooper can't even do? How ones one quantify or better understanding the unique "weird granular stuff" is does?

I'd love to see a task/trick based shootout between the two, I guess. I think that's what I missing in terms of understanding their differences and overlap.
No shootout but these video cover the Morph pretty well-
<playlist>
YouTube

then there's this-

and this-

which are also pretty good. If you already have the Scooper then you should be able to judge the differences after checking a few of these out.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Yeah, sorry, I could have phrased my question better. I'm real familiar with what the Scooper is capable of. What I meant was, given what the Scooper does (which is more of a known thing), how different is the Morphagene and in what meaningful ways? What new tricks can the Morph do that the Scooper can't, and vice-versa, especially from the perspective of someone who has spent time with both? Like. what are the 2/3/5 things a Morphagene is great at, particularly those things that a Scooper can't even do? How ones one quantify or better understanding the unique "weird granular stuff" is does?

I'd love to see a task/trick based shootout between the two, I guess. I think that's what I missing in terms of understanding their differences and overlap.
It helps to think of the PhonoMorph as a tape loop. Changing the loop's speed changes its pitch as well as playback speed. The varispeed also lets you play the loop backwards. What's kind of neat is that there's a transition from normal speed forward to normal speed reverse like there is with a real tape. Splicing a loop lets you cut the loop up. Where splicing gets fun (especially when CV is involved) is that you can start splicing down to the granular level, and then step through splice. Honestly, it kind of reminds me of the buffer effect that Glitchmachines uses in their software. It can get glitchy in an out of sync but pleasant kind of way.

From one Scooper user to another, do you ever find that the pitch control sometimes controls the speed, but sometimes doesn't? I end up not using it because its behavior is a little unpredictable.
Old 3rd February 2018
  #41
Lives for gear
 

yes it's true if your run in with a clock, it follows the clock properly with the rest being a little loose.
Old 6th February 2018
  #42
Lives for gear
 
spiderman's Avatar
Made a reel and it seemed like a fun collection of glitchy stuff. Lots of splices, and several that stretch into interesting loops. Here's a link to the reel. Freesound - "Viznutcracker Glitch MorphageneSpliced" by SoundsLikeJoe


And a patch of playing the reel with Pressure Points, Rene, and too much reverb.

Old 6th February 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
And a patch of playing the reel with Pressure Points, Rene, and too much reverb.
Quit it! I've already got a Phonogene, there's no logical reason for me to own both a Morph and a Phon!

...but dat SD card.

Old 6th February 2018
  #44
Lives for gear
 

^ Ha

Yesterday I was looking at the Assimilator and the Bitbox and was thinking the same thing about the sdcard slots in each.
Old 10th April 2019
  #45
Here for the gear
 

Cheat Sheet for Morphagene Front Panel

Hey Everyone, I've attached a cheat sheet I created w/ descriptions for every function on the front panel of the Morphagene. It's not the cleanest PDF but I hope it helps!
Attached Files
Old 11th April 2019
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00ms View Post
Hey Everyone, I've attached a cheat sheet I created w/ descriptions for every function on the front panel of the Morphagene. It's not the cleanest PDF but I hope it helps!
Great job! This is making me kind of want a Morphagene.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump