The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Would you rather have a Waldorf Quantum or 4k in Modular? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 28th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
If I could get my money back and start over again I’d certainly build a modular again, but my module selection would be different and less of them, however that’s just knowledge gained from trial & error.
Yeah, me too I think.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
That’s kinda like comparing oranges and basketballs to me. I mean, they’re both round, but beyond that...

I’d have already ordered a Quantum if it was closer to the Prologue’s price tho. I like everything about that synth but it’s just hard to get past that price. I’m hoping at some point it becomes less expensive or I can find a deal on it, because it certainly looks like a programming dream to me. At $4K, I’m maybe more inclined to buy a Roland V-Synth and Yamaha Montage for my FAS flagship fix, and run the outputs into some analog eurorack filters for flavor.

Also, I’m really wondering how some of you envision $4k in eurorack. No matter what I put into Modular Grid, it seems to work out to about $2500-3000 per row. $4K is what I’d consider a good start, but it’s not anything compared to what you’d get with something like the Quantum. I guess with eurorack you can spread those purchases out a bit, but I know it only took me maybe 6 months to fill my first row of eurorack, and that was with some months where I didn’t buy a single module.
The Quantum i just couldn't stop relating it to a iPad connected to a keyboard thus i just can't see any future proofing in it for 4K, but the Korg i know i could pull it out in 20 years time and it will just work. The quantum touch screen scares me, my iPhone screen is already playing up after 1 year of use.

So basically i think the Quantum looks a brilliant machine but its very Now and i question its future after 10/20 years of ownership. It's not even out yet and I'm thinking its heading on the same path as the Hartmann Neuron, especially with waldorf behind it.
Old 28th January 2018
so far im unimpressed with Quantum sounds. even moreso with Prologue (but that's another can o worms).

with that said, in theory, i am interested in something like the new Waldorf.

for starters,ive reached the point of diminishing returns with eurorack and have stopped the buying spree 2yrs ago and am happy and productive with this system. if i get something new its to optimize things, and something else gets the boot.

however the way i work couldn't solely depend on modular. so the usual pros and cons versus fixed arhitecture synths applies, and then theres software ios/vsti as third option too.

in other words, while modular is my sound design "free player", there is always need for solutions that have total recallability i.e. memory, fast switching of sounds projects, and polyphony. for this i've kept my beautiful sounding analog and digital fixed arhitecture/modmatrix synths. they take care of lion's share of the work including chordal structures and thematic stuff. sometimes i garner this with granular iOS (fed into euro) and just love multitouch interface performance for that sort of stuff (had Mungo g0 but lack of repeatability killed it for me).

in a way, Quantum has elements of all three.

+while not exactly modular but has vast number of mod sources and destinations in the matrix, as well as pretty powerful and versatile digital oscillator bank
+multitouch interface for performing and editing complex stuff, granular tc
+polyphony, memory, knobs, automation, midi like "regular" synths

but for this logic to work, it would have to sound as good, or better, than tools i already have. and thus far, that hasn't happened - poor sounding demos. its granular sounds mildly sort of interesting but nothing i don't have on ipad. resonator sounds kinda promising. the"VA" section sounds combined with its analog filter sound, i.e. the "meat n potatoes" presets make me cringe. thin and plastic.

think the final decision will come within next month or so, when it gets released and we hear more challenging design of its patches. if i decide to go that route i will probably sell my E370, and just leave a pair of my beloved E350.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Interesting. I definitely see my modular as an instrument. It has elements of a groove box no doubt. But as I get closer to completion it gets more and more like a self-contained instrument.
My perception of instrument for me is largely based on polyphony.

Quote:
Double-quoting because this inspired the question- If neither, than what?

4k, no Quantum, no modular...hmm...
Leaves us no choice but to split his 4k equally among the rest of us

Quote:
That’s kinda like comparing oranges and basketballs

Quote:
The quantum touch screen scares me, my iPhone screen is already playing up after 1 year of use.
Thats a valid point. Didnt cross my mind so far. Defo worth to be put into consideration.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

I decided to keep the Quantum under careful consideration but only after 1 full year of release in order to others to work out early OS issues and to see what the real world sound capabilities are like from early adopters.

It also gives me a full year to stash the cash away so a $4300 hit to the bank account doesn’t seem so bad. In the meantime I haven’t really seen any new modules that have me salivating so the will to save for a full year is easy to keep foe me, at least. We’ll see if I break down and buy a few modules along the way.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

OP asks if you would rather have a Quantum or $4K in modular in the modular forum. That's like going to an Eric Clapton concert and asking, "Do you guys like guitars or synths???"

I REALLY REALLY LOVE the look and design of the Quantum (given limited youtube footage). I have kind of eliminated hardware polys from my setup (or at least stopped gassing for them). I have basically subscribed to the mono hardware / poly software way of thinking. But the Quantum was the first synth in a bit that has made me change my tune.

I REALLY love the 3 oscillator setup with each being able to be programmed as Classic, Wavetable, Resonator and Granular. From what I can gather, the layout and UI reminds me of the great UI of the Prophet 12. It just seems REALLY easy to navigate and for me, workflow and layout is HUGE for me.

I REALLY want to demo this thing but I don't know who will have one and where. Gotta find a place and set aside a half a day with one (bringing my own headphones too). If I can get GREAT results within a short period of time and the workflow is THAT good, I would consider it. Otherwise, the price tag is really a bit much. And please let me be clear, I'm not saying it is not worth it or the synth doesn't justify the asking price, I'm just saying the end result may not warrant the price FOR ME.

This is hard for me as I already have probably $4K in modular. I guess if you asked me "my modular or a Quantum," my gut would say my modular right now.
Old 29th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
OP asks if you would rather have a Quantum or $4K in modular in the modular forum. That's like going to an Eric Clapton concert and asking, "Do you guys like guitars or synths???"

I REALLY REALLY LOVE the look and design of the Quantum (given limited youtube footage). I have kind of eliminated hardware polys from my setup (or at least stopped gassing for them). I have basically subscribed to the mono hardware / poly software way of thinking. But the Quantum was the first synth in a bit that has made me change my tune.

I REALLY love the 3 oscillator setup with each being able to be programmed as Classic, Wavetable, Resonator and Granular. From what I can gather, the layout and UI reminds me of the great UI of the Prophet 12. It just seems REALLY easy to navigate and for me, workflow and layout is HUGE for me.

I REALLY want to demo this thing but I don't know who will have one and where. Gotta find a place and set aside a half a day with one (bringing my own headphones too). If I can get GREAT results within a short period of time and the workflow is THAT good, I would consider it. Otherwise, the price tag is really a bit much. And please let me be clear, I'm not saying it is not worth it or the synth doesn't justify the asking price, I'm just saying the end result may not warrant the price FOR ME.

This is hard for me as I already have probably $4K in modular. I guess if you asked me "my modular or a Quantum," my gut would say my modular right now.
The question was to get the perspective of modular users. Not every modular user is a purist who only uses modular (like me). And I didn’t need the troll squad in the EMP forum bashing modular just because someone mentioned it. Not a hate thread either, even though I won’t be buying this synth.

I mean if money was no object (different thread) I’d have one because synths. But honestly the Quantum looks like a beastly thing to learn and use compared to modular. I’ve owned a few monster synths over the years and they always collect dust compared to Moogs and things that are closer to an “instrument” (at least to my mind). To me the Quantum would be a foolish investment since digital polyphonic sounds can be made so easily and inexpensively, and (most importantly) this synth doesn’t do anything that can’t already be done*. Screens are counterproductive for me due to presbyopia as well. I don’t think it’s stupid. Just not for me at all. Know thy self and all...

*my impression so far, happily waiting to be corrected...
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The question was to get the perspective of modular users. Not every modular user is a purist who only uses modular (like me). And I didn’t need the troll squad in the EMP forum bashing modular just because someone mentioned it. Not a hate thread either, even though I won’t be buying this synth.
ABSOLUTELY!!! I couldn't agree more. I just found it funny that you directed this question to seemingly an audience that already views modular rather favorably. That's all. No ill-intent with my comment. But yes, I am in the same user-group as you that likes both modular, soft synths and fixed-architecture hardware synths. I WELCOME ALL GEAR!!!

Quote:
But honestly the Quantum looks like a beastly thing to learn and use compared to modular. I’ve owned a few monster synths over the years and they always collect dust compared to Moogs and things that are closer to an “instrument” (at least to my mind). To me the Quantum would be a foolish investment since digital polyphonic sounds can be made so easily and inexpensively, and (most importantly) this synth doesn’t do anything that can’t already be done*. Screens are counterproductive for me due to presbyopia as well. I don’t think it’s stupid. Just not for me at all. Know thy self and all...

*my impression so far, happily waiting to be corrected...
I agree wholeheartedly. That is why my brain is going nuts right now. ALL OF THIS CAN MOSTLY BE DONE ITB at a mere fraction of the cost. I mean, get NI Reaktor and you are a large portion of the way there. If you add UVI Falcon and/or Ominsphere 2, you are even closer.

The old me would have already pre-ordered this synth. The new me is different. This is going to have to be a HUGE workflow changer for me in order to dive-in. Like I said, if I can sit in front of this thing and come up with insane usable patches for my music in a VERY short period of time, then there is a possibility. But if I am stumbling around the synth and "playing" more than "finding something for writing," then not a chance. I also feel like I know myself well enough to know the difference between stumbling because I am not yet familiar with all the controls and in-depth nature of an instrument and stumbling because it is just not laid out well for me.

I really can't wait to try it. In all honesty, I hope this thing is a turnoff because I don't want to spend that money. This thing is going to have to "wow me" in crazy ways in order for me to pull the trigger.

P.S. - I am also waiting on my Synthesis Technology E370 to get here. If I can get some really evolving textures off that thing (which I think I will be able to), that will put a large portion of the fire out that is burning for a Quantum.
Old 18th February 2018
Of any of the Waldorf synths (excluding the Microwaves) I'd like to see the Blofeld make it into eurorack format.
Bugfree and fully compatible (patches) with the desktop format.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Of any of the Waldorf synths (excluding the Microwaves) I'd like to see the Blofeld make it into eurorack format.
Bugfree and fully compatible (patches) with the desktop format.
Have you tried the NW1 yet? Excellent module that captures that Waldorf sound. Plus recording your own wavetables is seriously super cool.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Have you tried the NW1 yet? Excellent module that captures that Waldorf sound. Plus recording your own wavetables is seriously super cool.
Agreed, it's a great module. Waldorf definitely has it going on right now.

But my NW1 is in my pool of synths I'm selling for the Quantum.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

This thread question is an easy pick for me...

Quantum by a long shot.

The Quantum, I think, along with my Sunsyn are graver synths that I'll have my whole life. The Quantum will be an endless inspirational 'cockpit' source and creation tool. I could buy this synth and I already feel I really don't need to buy another synth ever again. That's not going to happen, because synths are in my blood, but that's how good the Quantum potentially can be. I've heard what I've wanted from the Quantum in sound. There's been a lot of people here that have stated they aren't impressed with the sound. There are also people that went to NAMM and said that the demos they heard online aren't that good, but when they heard it in person, it blew their mind how good it sounded. I don't know if it will blow everyone's mind, probably not, but that tells us right there... like we all should know... that this synth is going to sound awesome in the flesh.

While the Modular is a playground that I like to explore in, it can't be my only playground. The Quantum, however, can be my only playground. I like controlled chaos and I feel more often than not the modular lends itself more towards the random chaos instead of controlled. You can definitely control modular exactly how you want, sure. But I know I can do that more easily with the Quantum. The weird thing about the Quantum is that it makes me feel prophetic talking about it, which is utterly silly, but it bleeds almost everything I could want in a synth. I'm going to be able to make chaos when I want it, control it how I want it, save patches of all that crazy ass sh!t I come up with that I'll call a patch, and be able to know it like the back of my hand, so that I can make any sound when I want and recall it at later dates. The fact that you have 'modules' that you can save in the Quantum such as the Oscillator block, FX block, Komplex Env block, etc... is phenomenal. That's like preset modular modules right there. I could always buy more modular modules, use them, sample them into the Quantum and then sell them. And I won't loose my patch.

The Quantum will be a synth never yielding to giving you new sounds either. The sampling capability is awesome on it.

(This shouldn't be misinterpreted as me saying the Quantum is better or can do everything a modular could. We all know there's different tools for the job. This choice is personal preference and how we see fit in our synthesis and compositions.)
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Maniac
i think i have everythignthe quantum can do in eurorack.. so i^d probably dump the 4k in eurorack :D
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
i think i have everythignthe quantum can do in eurorack.. so i^d probably dump the 4k in eurorack :D
You don't have patch storage I know this question goes both ways.
Old 3rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
You don't have patch storage I know this question goes both ways.
Not everyone requires patch storage to complete their workflow.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not everyone requires patch storage to complete their workflow.
Of course not. Thats why I was saying it goes both ways. Some people like the modular workflow more than a complete synth. Some people don't. I like both. Each has their own pluses. Yin and yang is actually a good way to describe it in a sense.
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Of course not. Thats why I was saying it goes both ways. Some people like the modular workflow more than a complete synth. Some people don't. I like both. Each has their own pluses. Yin and yang is actually a good way to describe it in a sense.
i LOVE not having patch storage.. most sessions i completely unplug all cables from my modular and start completely from scratch
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
i LOVE not having patch storage.. most sessions i completely unplug all cables from my modular and start completely from scratch
Yeah with modular I don't like to continue a patch from earlier. I like each encounter to be a new exploration. Sometimes I'll keep stuff patched if I feel I want to explore more of the patch.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah with modular I don't like to continue a patch from earlier. I like each encounter to be a new exploration. Sometimes I'll keep stuff patched if I feel I want to explore more of the patch.
Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like if I come back to a patch after a day or so (and have powered off the modular) that the patch never quite sounds the same.

Personally, I also think it’s a testament to your programming and learning if you can somewhat recreate a patch (or at least elements of it) at a later date. It’s never going to be identical, but ideally you’re able to cumulatively apply it with other techniques you’ve learned along the way.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like if I come back to a patch after a day or so (and have powered off the modular) that the patch never quite sounds the same.
I suppose there’s a lot of variables involved like analog components warming up etc, however the same thing can happen to me working in the box, I can work on a track all night then next day it just doesn’t sound the same, I guess ear fatigue plays it’s part too.
Old 8th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I suppose there’s a lot of variables involved like analog components warming up etc, however the same thing can happen to me working in the box, I can work on a track all night then next day it just doesn’t sound the same, I guess ear fatigue plays it’s part too.
yes some modules need to warm up to become pitch stable.. i have an anlog filter for example that only track 1v/oct properly after about 20-30 mins of warming up. im sure its similar for some of my analog oscs
Old 24th March 2018
ill tell u who is gonna get the quantum and make insane patches with it.... richard devine... and the likes.... noise making machines at that price are something many of us mortals cant even bother considering... would I like to own it? **** yeah!!! but then at the end of the day its all about money... if u had extra cash or were making huge amount of cash thru music, you would probably get the quantum and 4k worth modulars... I know I would anyway

so honestly... I don't know whats the point of this thread... its all relative... if u have the cash why not...

what would be a way more interesting thread: how is the sound of the quantum unique and how could we make something similar to that in the box
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzulu View Post
so honestly... I don't know whats the point of this thread...
That is probably because, as you mentioned, you dont have the cash.

For someone like me, who has the dough but can only spend it once? It is a very valid and agonizing question.
Old 25th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
That is probably because, as you mentioned, you dont have the cash.

For someone like me, who has the dough but can only spend it once? It is a very valid and agonizing question.

thats a very specific situation... if someone had to spend 4k on audio gear at once, then why would it only be between this synth and modulars... surely there would be many many more choices in between that. there would be so many variables, what u already have, what u wanna use it for etc etc

my point is if someone had 4k to spend and he likes that synth and design he is gonna get it anyway, doesn't really have anything to do with modulars, is it expensive? yea of course, but so is a access virus or a nord if you just go by specs, but they have been around for long enough & so many people like/use them... everything has a place, cheap/budget gear, expensive gear, modulars, etc...
Old 25th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzulu View Post
ill tell u who is gonna get the quantum and make insane patches with it.... richard devine... and the likes.... noise making machines at that price are something many of us mortals cant even bother considering... would I like to own it? **** yeah!!! but then at the end of the day its all about money... if u had extra cash or were making huge amount of cash thru music, you would probably get the quantum and 4k worth modulars... I know I would anyway

so honestly... I don't know whats the point of this thread... its all relative... if u have the cash why not...

what would be a way more interesting thread: how is the sound of the quantum unique and how could we make something similar to that in the box
For this thread not being “interesting” enough you sure have a lot to say...
If you do don’t like the thread, nobody forced you to comment. If you have a better idea for a thread then go ahead and make it.
Old 25th March 2018
Quote:
For this thread not being “interesting” enough you sure have a lot to say...
If you do don’t like the thread, nobody forced you to comment. If you have a better idea for a thread then go ahead and make it.
you think just cause u made this thread its going to be interesting to every single person who is going to read it ? and that if someone didn't like it they should not comment? and if they do what then? u gonna get offended and go all face palmy and stuff???

chill dude everyone has different opinions, and they are going to be different from yours sometimes... and this thread contains no useful information as far as I am concerned, so yeah sure ill un-participate from this thread, but only because I don't find it productive or useful.
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Don't feed the trolls.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Nut

It's kinda tough not to answer with "you'll need both" if you don't own a good computer or a good poly. 4k = 4 single voices in modular if you buy smart or you buy used, but you can get 4 certain and distinct flavors or a beginners' poly in modular. OTOH, I'd say that it's really hard to justify not buying Quantum if you're limited to 4k. Features alone make it a synth you'll probably own "forever". I am not at all impressed with Quantum's sounds, but dig its features.
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Nut

I agree that having both the modular and a Quantum would be a great system. While I’m not in the market for a Quantum (yet) it would be a great synth ecosystem to ‘offload’ your modular creations to and actually have the means to animate your recordings via the internal synthesis engine options that the Quantum has.
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think i have everythignthe quantum can do in eurorack..
After reading the manual i seriously doubt anyone has. I dont think its even possible as a mono voice in Eurorack. Not for 4k anyways.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search