The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pittsburgh Microvolt 3900 semi-modular synth (NAMM 2018 video) Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th January 2018

Pittsburgh Microvolt 3900 semi-modular synth (NAMM 2018 video)

And another semi modular synth.
Looks like a good choice for a first modular.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

I think a standalone like this is a good idea. Pittsburgh modules sound great, so an all-in-one like this makes sense. Here's wishing them luck!
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Sadly i have no room for desktop synths. Ist either rack for me, or no buy :(
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Sadly i have no room for desktop synths. Ist either rack for me, or no buy :(
Yeah, same situation here. Still hoping for the best for them. Pittsburgh oscillators alone are very ballsy.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting that they didn't go with the Lifeforms aesthetic at all on this one. I would have expected something along the lines of the SV-1 but with keyboard or dedicated step sequencer.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

If I had no synths this would be a nice purchase but In my studio I can’t move for Mono synths their everywhere.
Old 25th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
If I had no synths this would be a nice purchase but In my studio I can’t move for Mono synths their everywhere.
Plus modular is the greatest mono synth ever created. I guess my reaction was based on "Why bother, you already make modulars?" but I started out with the Mother so there you go.

So let's recut that first take-

I guess it's cool if you're into desktop synths, or thinking about Modular. Not for me though.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Plus modular is the greatest mono synth ever created. I guess my reaction was based on "Why bother, you already make modulars?" but I started out with the Mother so there you go.

So let's recut that first take-

I guess it's cool if you're into desktop synths, or thinking about Modular. Not for me though.
Yeah, the modular slut in me totally scoffs at these new synths coming out, but I can't even lie to myself: The MiniBrute 2S looks kinda sexeh!
Old 25th January 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post

so that's what I thought, a semi-modular is less intimidating for people new to modular.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Looks nice.
Old 26th January 2018
I too would've liked a "Lifeforms" aesthetic and maybe an analog replicator section. It's tough to decide what you want from your designs and what direction to go to stand out in a pretty crowded market. Maybe try to bring the price point down to sweeten the deal.

Also, is it just me or is 2018 shaping up to be the year of the LED slider?
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
so that's what I thought, a semi-modular is less intimidating for people new to modular.
Alternatively, semi-modulars are attractive to existing modular users.

“Wait, I get all this for $600 and I can patch it into my system without any midi hassles?”

At least for me anyhow, I’ve picked up more semi-modular synths since getting full on into modular. A full kickass synth for $600 that I can integrate with my mad CV programming is nothing but a plus. Easy to use with my rack, easy to use standalone or over midi. For the same money I might get 2-3 modules. At least when it comes to analog/subtractive voices it’s kind of a no-brainer for me-why reinvent the wheel?

Semi-modular serves the needs of users at both ends of the spectrum, those either afraid to go whole hog or those that have done so that want to expand.
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

I quite like that sound. As he said, harmonically rich. Nice features, too.
Old 26th January 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Alternatively, semi-modulars are attractive to existing modular users.

“Wait, I get all this for $600 and I can patch it into my system without any midi hassles?”
I still want that SE Tonestar 8106!
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I still want that SE Tonestar 8106!
It's a good one, I'll say that right out. It's pretty cool having a Juno voice in my rack. Makes for sweet strings. My experience with SE's standalone synths was less than stellar, but their modular offerings have been really good and support has been spectacular. Charcot Circles was the only one that felt like a dud, but I think that was more of Eowave's baby, so I don't hold SE accountable for that one.
Old 26th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Interesting that they didn't go with the Lifeforms aesthetic at all on this one. I would have expected something along the lines of the SV-1 but with keyboard or dedicated step sequencer.
So, I saw Richard from Pittsburgh Modular this weekend at Oscillate:Pittsburgh - he told me that the reason they went with a different look here was because their original panel supplier was being difficult with pricing, so they went with a different source and that's just how it turned out. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist.

I will say, I got to see and hear the Microvolt in person, and it really is a powerful little box. They've done some really unique things with their VCO, it's an evolution of their past modules. Between the timbre mod, the harmonic sine (a sine with added harmonics to give you something to work with in a filter) and the wavefolding, you have a lot of tonal control before it even hits the binary filter.
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

its the pittsburgh 0-coast
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

I think the demos sound great. I plan on picking one up, loving semi modulars as I do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

i got mine a week ago and I am very happy with it. the sound is amazing and you have lots of modulation options. one nice feature, that is not so much talked about, is that the function generator is voltage controlable, which gives you some nice options to do fm modulation. i also like the "patch example 3" from the manual, which shows how to combine filtered sound with raw waves, and you can use the "input balance" as a mixer of the two. all in all, its a very great and unique sounding synth that is easy to use and that is very musical to my ear.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I'm very interested in this synth and have a question. The unit outputs control voltages -5 to +5 volts. If I recall correctly, this is the same as the Mother 32 and thus a cv attenuator / converter like the Doepfer 183-2 or Erica Pico Scale would be required to patch with eurorack modules whicj mostly run 0 -+ 10v. Can someone please confirm , or correct me?
Old 6 days ago
Kja
Lives for gear
It has a atteneutor built in! It has a whole bunch of tricks up its sleeves.. You can patch the function generator to the vca and have two oscillators. I haven't tried the patches in the manual yet but man this thing cam do hard Berlin sounds like crazy or the buchla bong sounds, all the way to distorted mess, just a huge variety. I had a screw loose so poked inside and the circuits are just gorgeous, I really don't want to say it but this might be the perfect synthesizer? I really really dig it.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi there,

i'm sorry to contact us but, i get my microvolt and i've found a strange sound when i play on

so i would like to know, if it's normal or anormal because my other synth's don't make this "clappy" sound when one note is played even if all the mixer are turned off ... confused

so, there is 3 vidéos with a strange bass sound if the filter is turned off and two videos when you turn all the "mixer" off ( they can't make any sound if y press a note, they make a clappy sound and if you turned off the filter, you can heard this clappy sound yet .. it's not very good to hear that
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyps View Post
Hi there,

i'm sorry to contact us but, i get my microvolt and i've found a strange sound when i play on

so i would like to know, if it's normal or anormal because my other synth's don't make this "clappy" sound when one note is played even if all the mixer are turned off ... confused

so, there is 3 vidéos with a strange bass sound if the filter is turned off and two videos when you turn all the "mixer" off ( they can't make any sound if y press a note, they make a clappy sound and if you turned off the filter, you can heard this clappy sound yet .. it's not very good to hear that
Check the noise level on the synth.
Old 10 hours ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Its not noise, the sample and hold has an initial spike like that when its sending audio. Try slowing it down to nothing and turning the lfo mix over to lfo and mess with vca, try envelope settings, it is super snappy so it may be set that way. It works like a Odysseus where there is always some gain with the dynamics slider is up at all. If none of that works it may be the sample and hold is leaking in the audio signal, if so you need to return it. Mine can be dead quite under the right settings. Its a noisy synth though.
Old 10 hours ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Oh I just watched again.. Its because your dynamics slider is up all the way!! It should always be almost closed! Just open enough to let the envelope have something to grab.. Its basically a preamp before the final gain slider. You got it cranked up all the way! Its cooking!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search