The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog: DFAM Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Moog: DFAM

Looks like it's gonna get an official release

DFAM (Drummer From Another Mother) | Moog Music Inc

Quote:
ANALOG SEQUENCER: 8-Steps With Pitch and Velocity Per-Step

SEQUENCER PANEL CONTROLS: Tempo, Run/Stop, Trigger, Advance

SOUND SOURCES: 2 Oscillators With Square and Triangle Waveforms, 1 White Noise Generator, 1 External Audio Input

FREQUENCY CONTROL: +/- 5 Octaves (10 Octave Range)

MIXER: Level controls for Oscillator 1, Oscillator 2 and White Noise/External Audio Input

FILTER: 20Hz-20KHz Switchable Low Pass / High Pass 4-Pole Transistor Ladder Filter

ENVELOPES: VCO EG w/ Voltage Controlled Decay and Bipolar Amount Control, VCF EG w/ Voltage Controlled Decay and Bipolar Amount Control, VCA EG w/ Voltage Controlled Decay and Selectable Fast/Slow Attack Time

PATCHBAY: 24x 3.5mm Jacks

PATCHBAY INPUTS: Trigger, VCA CV, Velocity, VCA Decay, External Audio, VCF Decay, Noise Level, VCO Decay, VCF Mod, VCO 1 CV, 1→2 FM Amount, VCO 2 CV, Tempo, Run/Stop, Advance/Clock.

PATCHBAY OUTPUTS: VCA, VCA EG, VCF EG, VCO EG, VCO 1, VCO 2, Trigger, Velocity, Pitch.

AUDIO OUTPUT: ¼” TS Line / ¼” TRS Headphones (Shared Output Jack)

INCLUDED POWER SUPPLY: 100-240VAC; 50-60Hz, +12VDC 1200mA

POWER CONSUMPTION: 3.0W

EURORACK CURRENT DRAW: 230mA (+12V – from 10-pin header)

EURORACK MOUNTING DIMENSIONS: 60HP (1”/26mm Module Depth)

WEIGHT: 3.5lbs

DIMENSIONS: 12.57”W x 4.21“H (with knobs) x 5.24“D
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Looks like it's gonna get an official release

DFAM (Drummer From Another Mother) | Moog Music Inc
Yeah, there’s a long thread in the non-modular forum b1tching about how it’s essentially “too modular” lolz.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yeah, there’s a long thread in the non-modular forum b1tching about how it’s essentially “too modular” lolz.
wanksters
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They engulfed and repurposed the Korg SQ-1... you will be one with The Moog!

Looks and sounds like a cool analog rhythm box. I just received their launch email and I'm casually interested.

Why didn't Korg do this years ago with their cool little sequencer?

Old 1 week ago
Hmm... added to my wish list. Definitely a reason to push on the project-start "My First Modular"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It took every ounce of willpower to not preorder that thing yesterday..... I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I know most people on GS have a love affair with Moog, but I've got to criticize:

I'm sorry to be so shallow, but this is the cringiest announcement video ever. What's with the cutaway shots to shoes, cassette tapes, tarot cards, and plants? And all this talk that has nothing to do with the product? They're trying to become the Nike of synths. This is so off-putting that I'm tempted to sell my Mother-32 so that I can have no association with Moog. It feels like since Bob died, they're just appealing to the lowest common denominator and putting style before substance.

Also, it's way too big for what it is and the cost is a little nutty.
Old 1 week ago
Post retracted.

Sincerest apologies for getting all "Social Justice" and whatnot. Plus I have no business starting internet wars with my friends (sorry Derp).

I need to leave the house, seriously.

Last edited by slaughtrhaus; 1 week ago at 06:09 PM..
Old 1 week ago
DSC
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
What's with the cutaway shots to shoes, cassette tapes, tarot cards, and plants? And all this talk that has nothing to do with the product? They're trying to become the Nike of synths. This is so off-putting that I'm tempted to sell my Mother-32 so that I can have no association with Moog. It feels like since Bob died, they're just appealing to the lowest common denominator and putting style before substance.

Spot on Derp, spot on!

I'm over these vids that go in and out of focus. Enough with the 'happy shiny people' effect! Go hard or go home! It's sad too becasue this company has an amazing history with a wealth of IP, just simply wasting AaaaWWWaaaaayyyy!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
You too? Come on dude, don't go there. Who gives a flyin fvck how they market it? With all due respect my friend but yeah, you are being shallow. Plus bashing an ad that features females is in really poor taste right now, all things considered.

And look at the gear and repeat your "style before substance" remark. You really can't. It looks and sounds like a Moog, period. And appealing to the lowest common denominator would have involved adding midi sync and usb like Master Uli has done anyway, you know that!
It's not because of the leaky mildew vaginas. It's because Moog's hipster appeal is getting tired, especially now that they're aware of it and are milking it. Even their NPO is ridiculous. They have a non-profit for... promoting Moog synths to kids and poor people!? The rest of us would call that an ad campaign. But Bob's dead, so they can do whatever the **** they want with his holy name now, right?

Say what you want about Uli, lord knows I've bashed the **** out of them in the past, but he not only listens to his customers' needs, he actually solicited recommendations that he then followed through with. Now, he's blessed us with an incredibly affordable product that sounds more like Moog than Moog themselves do and has many of the features we asked for.

I don't disagree with marketing in general. I know it's a necessary evil and that I myself have even fallen deep into Euroracks 'cool factor.' It's just that instead of presenting an admittedly wonderful sounding drum module in a tasteful way that appeals to synthesists of all ages and genres, they went for the quick buck, trumped up the trendiness of hipster chic with shots of aloe vera plants and tape collections the size of my admittedly oversized eurocrack dispenser. They could have, for less money even, just had a video of some people (yes, real people, not just pop culture victims) playing the DFAM and talking about how good the instrument is. It's alienating is what this tripe is.

Also, the design sucks and the size is too much for such a simple concept.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Each to his own... the ad didn't phase me. I liked the sounds, and didn't notice the set dressing. Certainly Moog doesn't make videos. They hired a professional to do it, and it looks professional. Maybe that's the rub? It doesn't look like the garage lo-fi **** that most people make with their phones?

Regarding the actualy kit... DFAM is FAAAAR more interesting to me than the Mother 32... which I found to be boring and.... exactly as you describe the DFAM... too big considering what it does, but mostly just boring compared to my rig.

DFAM instant buy for me. Mother 32? Never gonna happen.
Old 1 week ago
DSC
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post

DFAM instant buy for me.
I'm hoping someone buys them, it's the only way we might see some really useful and amazing stuff come from their shop! Just release the MoogerFooger line in euro and I will be a happy pig in ****
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know most people on GS have a love affair with Moog, but I've got to criticize:

I'm sorry to be so shallow, but this is the cringiest announcement video ever. What's with the cutaway shots to shoes, cassette tapes, tarot cards, and plants? And all this talk that has nothing to do with the product? They're trying to become the Nike of synths. This is so off-putting that I'm tempted to sell my Mother-32 so that I can have no association with Moog. It feels like since Bob died, they're just appealing to the lowest common denominator and putting style before substance.

To play devil's advocate - the cost is IMO pretty spot on. I can't imagine getting a sequencer and full featured drum module for much less than $600 and that's before you consider the case, PSU and whatever utilities you'd need to tie them together. It's got my interest but I'm not GASing, much like the M32 which I never ended up buying but did get me to reconsider my Minitaur which was a good thing.

As for the video, it's just marketing twaddle but you have to remember we are not the target audience. Moog is very much a mainstream instrument company much like Roland and Korg and the others even if Bob did pioneer many of the modular circuits that are still popular. That "No patching necessary" was one of the first captions that comes up is telling. And I agree shots of the Malcom X book and a folder of 90s rave fliers is pretty damn cringe worthy but they might not be wrong that a bunch of cute hipster millennial girls could move more units than the video which details the FM response on the VCOs that we would be interested in.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Also, the design sucks and the size is too much for such a simple concept.
Indeed it seems like they would have crammed just a little more in there, but they had to make the size matchy-matchy with the mama either way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If we replace all the hipster girls, their apartment, and aloe plants, with Trent Reznor, darkly lit studios, and a wall of synths... and it would make this more appealing to that viewer... the problem isn't the video.

Anyway... judging by the MASSIVE amount of young male feminist who are actively taking "old white man" to task over things like Muffwiggler and Gearslutz name (see Facebook Group threads)... this is actually genius marketing. This would appeal to large sections of the hipster eurocrackers. That's who you want to love your products... old man Simpson yelling at his lawn is mostly irrelevant to the future of both Moog and electronic music.
Old 1 week ago
DSC
Gear Head

Quote:
Anyway... judging by the MASSIVE amount of young male feminist who are actively taking "old white man" to task over things like Muffwiggler and Gearslutz name (see Facebook Group threads)... this is actually genius marketing.
I hope you are right! ... for all the wrong reasons

Quote:
That's who you want to love your products... old man Simpson yelling at his lawn is mostly irrelevant to the future of both Moog and electronic music.
I would agree if you were selling iphones, with synths, not so much, but maybe that's your point. Not much difference these days! They both really kinda suck.
Old 1 week ago
A lot of people want it. Now they can buy it!
Great day for them.....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've been at work all day when I seen this DFAM announcement, so I'm going to catch up on the videos to see what it's about.
I did read the other thread today with toes curled as they asked for midi so happy this thread was created.

And off course I must watch this video that is upsetting Derp
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That 9 minute Moog video is terrible and there wasn't one single sound/sequence where I thought oh I like that, I kept thinking I can make all those sequences triggering a ALM dinkys taiko.

What was eating away at me most is Moog are supposed to be a premium brand who ask a premium price yet they use those cheap plastic trimmers pots that are acceptable on eurorack modules as they save space but not on a Moog where there is clear space to use smaller knobs.

What Moog do have in their favour is Audio damage Boomtshack sell for £450/£500 in the UK so comparing the 2 on paper makes the DFAM look a far more capable choice.

I still need to see more videos, Moog needs to give their beta machines to people who know electronics music instead of a bunch of scruffy art students who think dead roses are trendy.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
What Moog do have in their favour is Audio damage Boomtshack sell for £450/£500 in the UK so comparing the 2 on paper makes the DFAM look a far more capable choice.
I'm not talking about the video anymore... But ^^^this is exactly what I was thinking about the price. In euroland where people willingly pay $750 for an oscillator module or $625 for a sequencer, this price doesn't seem so bad. By the time you bought a moogy sounding oscillator pair and a filter you'd be in deeper than the Moog's price point. Then add in a sequencer. Could it be done cheaper and still have Moog sound? Maybe not if we are honest about it. I don't know everything that is out there but AJH is certainly more expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
.... Moog needs to give their beta machines to people who know electronics music instead of a bunch of scruffy art students who think dead roses are trendy.
Mindboggling... you don't realize these "scruffy art students" have been featured in Pitchfork, on Resident Advisor, and are playing Moogfest... do you?

Who are the people you think Moog should have used?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mindboggling... you don't realize these "scruffy art students" have been featured in Pitchfork, on Resident Advisor, and are playing Moogfest... do you?
So you thought the artists in Moog video did a good job ?

2018 Moogfest roster hasn't arose my interest just like 2017 roster didn't either, out of the whole crowd i only bought Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith's album Ears which I've hardly listened to.

I don't follow Pitchfork or Resident Advisor, read a few reviews in the past that i didn't agree with (Music/Subjective)

Quote:
Who are the people you think Moog should have used?
Boards of Canada probably wouldn't answer Moog's phone calls but theres still
Gidge, Rykard , Dusted, Black Dog, Volor Flex , Plaid, Zero 7, Stumbleine, LoveKrafty , Deadly Avenger, Honeyroot , The impending adorations , Motionfield , Ladytron , Lamb (Andy) , Lorn , carbon based lifeforms , Trentemoller , ishome , Saycet , Bochum welt, Brimstone, Rene Jones , U-Ziq , Tycho , WhoMadeWho , Luke Abbott , Mnemonic , The Flashbulb, Clint Mansell, Snooze , Crisopa, Ghosts of paraguay , Floex , Echaskech, J. Ralph , Jon Hopkins to name just a few.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

8 steps. meh. even the sq1 has 16.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’ll just stick with my BIA.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't mind, liked - even, the video.

There's nothing at all wrong with that style of presentation, nor it is limited to Moog, hipsters, SJWs, or anything else. And before long there will be plenty of other "normal" videos of the thing. No harm, no conspiracy.

Some of you must be a riot at parties.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As for the video, we’re not their target audience ... I like that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've been at work all day when I seen this DFAM announcement, so I'm going to catch up on the videos to see what it's about.
I did read the other thread today with toes curled as they asked for midi so happy this thread was created.

And off course I must watch this video that is upsetting Derp
TBF the only way you can get tempo divisions on the Mother 32 is via MIDI clock unless you want to use other modules to do so without MIDI. With 2 Mothers synced together via the tempo input the tempo knob has one setting... boring.

I’d assume it’s the same with the DFAM tempo input. I can’t wait to hear Genshi’s impressions of the unit because that video really doesn’t give much idea about those kind of things.

Those little knobs irritate me, as does the whole build/aesthetic. Not like Moog at all and indicative of where the brand is going. That’s coming from someone who thinks the Mother 32 is an almost perfect concept/instrument.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I’m ok with it. I’m down with tarot, Malcolm X, and women playing synths. Aesthetically all of that appeals to me. It’s an artsy marketing video, and I see it for what it is and I’m ok with it. Still heaps better than your standard tv commercial trying to sell chewing gum, and I can’t say I agree with your comments below/above about the Bob Moog Foundation. I’d rather that exist than not, full stop.

But this promo vid doesn’t sell me on owning one. And that’s ok. I’m gonna need a video seriously showing it in use before I decide if it’s worth buying. I feel the same way about a $5 iOS app, because I need to see the unit in practice over a stylized video that only skims the surface. But I don’t think it sounds or looks bad and I look forward to Moog taking further steps into modular. Moog doing modular is never, ever going to be cheap, but it at least seems like they are finding ways into the marketplace that can act as relatively inexpensive starting points or additions to existing setups.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you thought the artists in Moog video did a good job ?

2018 Moogfest roster hasn't arose my interest just like 2017 roster didn't either, out of the whole crowd i only bought Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith's album Ears which I've hardly listened to.

I don't follow Pitchfork or Resident Advisor, read a few reviews in the past that i didn't agree with (Music/Subjective)

Boards of Canada probably wouldn't answer Moog's phone calls but theres still
Gidge, Rykard , Dusted, Black Dog, Volor Flex , Plaid, Zero 7, Stumbleine, LoveKrafty , Deadly Avenger, Honeyroot , The impending adorations , Motionfield , Ladytron , Lamb (Andy) , Lorn , carbon based lifeforms , Trentemoller , ishome , Saycet , Bochum welt, Brimstone, Rene Jones , U-Ziq , Tycho , WhoMadeWho , Luke Abbott , Mnemonic , The Flashbulb, Clint Mansell, Snooze , Crisopa, Ghosts of paraguay , Floex , Echaskech, J. Ralph , Jon Hopkins to name just a few.
Pretty certain Rabit was on the roster last year and this year, and if you’ve been sleeping on his work you’re missing out. He’s also been on GS over the years, so he’s one of us.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sounds very ok to me. Conceptwise it nice too. It looks gorgeous in the 3 tier racks.

That being said:

They are marketing the thing as an expansion to an (until yesterday non existing) mother 32 eco system, which happens to be eurorack compatible.
Was it too hard to say they are now into Eurorack gear? All the standardization work of Dieter Doepfer and co shall now be re-interpreted as a Moog Eco system, since its more successfull than their 5u??

... F off Moog.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search