The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog: DFAM
Old 23rd January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
I have a friend that's using the DFAM video to troll myself and others like one would a Rickroll.
#Chickroll
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

Marketing is rarely pretty, but I'd like to clarify why I find the Moog video, particularly awful.

Electronic music never used to be about persona. Back in the day I wouldn't have recognized most of my heroes if I was face to face with them in the street. I liked it when Electronic music wasn't just the same as pop bull****. I suppose that's the price we pay now that electronic music is a marketable commodity. It's the reason there is no underground anymore - nothing gets the chance to grow and thrive in the underground before thirsty marketeers have pushed it into the mainstream like a sickly, mewling premature baby.

I also liked it when neo-marxism hadn't been prommed into the firmware of our children, who are now coming of age.

If anyone at Moog marketing was worried about appealing too much to one demographic or another, why not just neutralize the problem? No faces, no people - just sound and information. We will not conquer racism, sexism or classism by increasing our focus on those things and giving those identities increased market value.

To clarify, electronic music doesn't have a "straight white male problem" (I'm looking at you Vice magazine) electronic music, like many other facets of society and culture, is under attack by neo-marxists. Neo Marxists want to make everything about identity, to those people everything is political; the personal is political, your identity is political – so too are synthesizers and electronic music.

Neo-marxists value group rights over individual rights and they have a "by any means necessary" ethos that is fueled by the thrilling and addictive rush of righteous indignation. In their own minds (and words) they're on the "right side of history". They do not believe in equality of opportunity - that is not equality in their minds. They seek equality of outcome by any means necessary and they advocate that the state forces those outcomes.

(If your are an historian that last paragraph should have chilled you to the bone)

If the revolution goes beyond television - and a neo-marxist, feminist utopia is formed, then the gyno-state will literally ban all men from buying synthesizers or making electronic music. They have literally advocated that men, especially white men (the worst kind) stop writing Science Fiction, step down from high paid jobs and be banned from high level government positions. Dianne Abbott (a UK Labour ("liberal") politician) has advocated that in some constituencies, white people should not be allowed to be MP's. Makes sense right? I mean in those constituencies, the filthy whites are a minority – and we don't give a **** about minorities, right?

This is happening piecemeal and they're choosing some really weird attack vectors, but it is happening - not just on the internet but in the real world with real world consequences. Laugh it up boys - I'll see if your smile cracks when we're shoulder to shoulder in the gulag.

tl;dr

I don't hate women, nor do I hate women in electronic music. I just don't like identity politics or the way it is being used to divide the West. Keep your genitals out of music, I want your CDs not your STDs.
Old 25th January 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 80b9b09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Keys ➡️
Marketing is rarely pretty, but I'd like to clarify why I find the Moog video, particularly awful.

Electronic music never used to be about persona. Back in the day I wouldn't have recognized most of my heroes if I was face to face with them in the street. I liked it when Electronic music wasn't just the same as pop bull****. I suppose that's the price we pay now that electronic music is a marketable commodity. It's the reason there is no underground anymore - nothing gets the chance to grow and thrive in the underground before thirsty marketeers have pushed it into the mainstream like a sickly, mewling premature baby.

I also liked it when neo-marxism hadn't been prommed into the firmware of our children, who are now coming of age.

If anyone at Moog marketing was worried about appealing too much to one demographic or another, why not just neutralize the problem? No faces, no people - just sound and information. We will not conquer racism, sexism or classism by increasing our focus on those things and giving those identities increased market value.

To clarify, electronic music doesn't have a "straight white male problem" (I'm looking at you Vice magazine) electronic music, like many other facets of society and culture, is under attack by neo-marxists. Neo Marxists want to make everything about identity, to those people everything is political; the personal is political, your identity is political – so too are synthesizers and electronic music.

Neo-marxists value group rights over individual rights and they have a "by any means necessary" ethos that is fueled by the thrilling and addictive rush of righteous indignation. In their own minds (and words) they're on the "right side of history". They do not believe in equality of opportunity - that is not equality in their minds. They seek equality of outcome by any means necessary and they advocate that the state forces those outcomes.

(If your are an historian that last paragraph should have chilled you to the bone)

If the revolution goes beyond television - and a neo-marxist, feminist utopia is formed, then the gyno-state will literally ban all men from buying synthesizers or making electronic music. They have literally advocated that men, especially white men (the worst kind) stop writing Science Fiction, step down from high paid jobs and be banned from high level government positions. Dianne Abbott (a UK Labour ("liberal") politician) has advocated that in some constituencies, white people should not be allowed to be MP's. Makes sense right? I mean in those constituencies, the filthy whites are a minority – and we don't give a **** about minorities, right?

This is happening piecemeal and they're choosing some really weird attack vectors, but it is happening - not just on the internet but in the real world with real world consequences. Laugh it up boys - I'll see if your smile cracks when we're shoulder to shoulder in the gulag.

tl;dr

I don't hate women, nor do I hate women in electronic music. I just don't like identity politics or the way it is being used to divide the West. Keep your genitals out of music, I want your CDs not your STDs.
It's almost like they overcompensate for, admittedly, years of white male domination. I appreciate the societal issues need addressing, but it always goes too far. And I say that as a man from a big matriarchal family with daughters.

I want to see someone chewing their jaw off listening to repetitive beats. Something edgy.

Everything is too safe. And our idols are dying - Mark E Smith sadly passing chips another hole in the fabric of madness.

The world needs its loons. Or we may as well paint everything magnolia.

And maybe just a touch less hipster blandness. It's all about balance, and we shouldn't go from one end of the scale to the other. We shouldn't even be considering who we're viewing in these ads. We should focus solely on the music. Not vegan cookbooks drifting out of focus.

#metoo
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I think in this age of Social Media and music streaming, if you really are a maverick purist you're going to be poor. If you want to put food on the table, it's very tempting to stay within the safety zone of current popular trends.
That goes for artists as well as gear manufacturers.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Interesting first post for Sticky Keys, there. I know talking politics is taboo, so I'll just say that the two extremes between left and right with no middle ground is exactly why I'm pro-totalitarianism. We're turning this into one big fight that doesn't do anybody any good, and it should be shut down with force if necessary by a dictator so we can get back to working for the good of the state instead of worrying about the menial worries of the people.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Again politics/religion are taboo here but I’ll just say if Dianne Abbott released a Eurorack module I wouldn’t buy it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
Interesting first post for Sticky Keys, there. I know talking politics is taboo, so I'll just say that the two extremes between left and right with no middle ground is exactly why I'm pro-totalitarianism. We're turning this into one big fight that doesn't do anybody any good, and it should be shut down with force if necessary by a dictator so we can get back to working for the good of the state instead of worrying about the menial worries of the people.
My guess is it's a current user who made a new account to blow off a little steam.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Moog may have made a bad marketing video that has a social/political undertone... but the HYPER POLITICAL reactions from the old men are mental. It definitely reads like some paranoid delusional Alex Jones poop.

Seriously... think about this... Can you be more triggered than creating a new Gearslutz account to vent a multi paragraph paranoid rampage over a marketing video, for a music product, that was released weeks ago?

Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Seriously, neomarxism and such my honkey butthole. Jesus. Just having to read that crap (here in a music gear forum, specifically) is 11x more offensive to my senses than 10 similar videos. That video couldn't be more inconsequential in a broad sense if it tried. Buy it, don't buy it, just make some music and go about your business. I guarantee we here in this thread have already spent more time and energy on this topic than the Moog people themselves who made the damn thing.

Old 26th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine ➡️
.... Just having to read that crap (here in a music gear forum, specifically) is 11x more offensive to my senses than 10 similar videos. That video couldn't be more inconsequential in a broad sense if it tried. ....
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like talking about socio-political issues as much or even more than I like talking about gear, but can we somehow talk about the DFAM without that creeping in? I’m sure I’d vehemently disagree with some regulars here on such things, but given how politically charged online discussion has become in recent years it’s a welcome break to just come to GS and argue about analog vs. digital. I’d much rather talk about filters and sequencers and forget the rest of the world.

That said, if you’re that agitated about seeing women talking about synths that you have to bring in terms like “neo-Marxist”, maybe take up the guitar instead. It was a flashy promo video. So what? Moog filmed the first promo videos for the Mother 32 at a place that is near and dear to me (Arcosanti) and I was irritated because they did a pisspoor job of showing anything of the natural beauty or ideals of that place, but I didn’t use it as a platform to talk about sustainability and urban design because it wasn’t relevant to the actual synth demos. If it bugs you that much just wait for the independent reviews and vote with your wallet.
Old 26th January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Yeah again, this is why I can't side with the left or right side of things. I just didn't like that the ad was all image and flash and hardly anything about the synth itself. I had no idea that I was feeling this because I was sexist or neomarxist. Thank you, internet, for correcting me!
Old 30th January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Head

Reading through the thread quickly I guess I might be in a minority here. But I'm really stoked for the DFAM. Looks like a lot of fun, sounds bonkers & has lots of patch points to cable-up to other modular gear.

And I thought the video was fine as well. It's a bit too 'markety' maybe. I won't loose any sleep over it! I'm just happy Moog are finally releasing the DFAM properly (as opposed to it just being a Moog Fest project).

Discovered this video on YouTube which demonstrates the DFAM in a quite different way to the majority of videos that have appeared since the last Moog Fest;

Old 9th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faastwalker ➡️
Discovered this video on YouTube which demonstrates the DFAM in a quite different way to the majority of videos that have appeared since the last Moog Fest;

Great FX in this video. I am sure a Dark Energy would sound just as lovely thru them.

And for the record. I think most people would say the DFAM is a good product. The problem is the price for what it is. To see it then marketed as some kind of fashion item kinda asked for bad responses.
Old 18th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman ➡️
If we replace all the hipster girls, their apartment, and aloe plants, with Trent Reznor, darkly lit studios, and a wall of synths... and it would make this more appealing to that viewer... the problem isn't the video.

Anyway... judging by the MASSIVE amount of young male feminist who are actively taking "old white man" to task over things like Muffwiggler and Gearslutz name (see Facebook Group threads)... this is actually genius marketing. This would appeal to large sections of the hipster eurocrackers. That's who you want to love your products... old man Simpson yelling at his lawn is mostly irrelevant to the future of both Moog and electronic music.
"MASSIVE" amounts of young male feminists? Funny.....I tour all over, and I have yet to meet any, I see them on TV when I forget to look away, but I never meet these people in real life....

......actually, I don't meet any FEMALE feminists either, most ladies love guys the way they are and prefer them with their balls intact, oh...they also love being women, and aren't in the least bit angry about it...maybe when your focus is on enjoying the fact that everyone isn't the same you attract a better type of person....or............maaaaaybe

...Al the "social justice eunichs" and " Chainsaw rimed vagina's" aren't as plentiful in number as certain interests would like us to believe they are

It would certainly be a good way to stir up resentment between people...y'know to portray these people as being a "MASSIVE" segment of the population

Sorry, this has nothing to do with your comment I think...but I needed to say it
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee ➡️
"MASSIVE" amounts of young male feminists? Funny.....I tour all over, and I have yet to meet any, I see them on TV when I forget to look away, but I never meet these people in real life....

......actually, I don't meet any FEMALE feminists either, most ladies love guys the way they are and prefer them with their balls intact, oh...they also love being women, and aren't in the least bit angry about it...maybe when your focus is on enjoying the fact that everyone isn't the same you attract a better type of person....or............maaaaaybe

...Al the "social justice eunichs" and " Chainsaw rimed vagina's" aren't as plentiful in number as certain interests would like us to believe they are

It would certainly be a good way to stir up resentment between people...y'know to portray these people as being a "MASSIVE" segment of the population

Sorry, this has nothing to do with your comment I think...but I needed to say it

You don't hang out one many modular groups or attend conferences or meetups much, eh? I'm not saying it's MASSIVE in the general public... but it's pretty common among the younger white guys in that niche.

Either way.... don't get get ya panties in a wad. It's a forum... you can't express yourself on every ancient post that rubs you wrong man.
Lives for gear

I wish we could forget about this dumb political sh1t and talk about the gear...finding out where people stand on political issues is why I deleted facebook.
Old 19th June 2018
holy... this page just read like kendall jenner pepsi meets all lives matter, give or take the odd Marx was a capitalist coz he wrote a book about it ...

more about the DFAM - was looking for soft demos but everything I came across was NIN style screaming beats. how about the DFAM's capabilities of delivering soft, round, deep basses and kicks?
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

All Synths Matter.
📝 Reply