The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog: DFAM Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Pretty certain Rabit was on the roster last year and this year, and if you’ve been sleeping on his work you’re missing out. He’s also been on GS over the years, so he’s one of us.
Im stuck in my own bubble when it comes to music, artists have to arouse me in a certain way before I let them into my life. I have not heard of Rabbit but will check him out.
Old 1 week ago
  #32
Lives for gear
 

meeto
Old 1 week ago
  #33
My 2c......
Mildly interested in DFAM. The price is fine.
The video is frustrating. I wanted to know more. I wasn't upset by the players they featured or the music they made. It was the lack of detail about the product and the out of focus camerwork and close-ups of pot plants etc....


It DOES come over as a lifestyle product given that treatment.
Old 1 week ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 
spiderman's Avatar
For everyone who's saying "I need to hear more" or etc... The unit is over a year old and there are literally 100+ videos on YouTube of the generic sort. Moog DFAM on YouTube

Last edited by spiderman; 1 week ago at 02:52 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 
spiderman's Avatar
... and a personal favorite music example.

Old 1 week ago
  #36
I spent all day yesterday talking about an item I don’t even want. I’m out lol. Gl guys.
Old 1 week ago
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
For everyone who's saying "I need to hear more" or etc... The unit is over a year old and there are literally 100+ videos on YouTube of the generic sort. Moog DFAM on YouTube
I want to know more, not hear more.
It was a kit project a year ago? So I just would like to know what it is now and if anything has changed.
Old 1 week ago
  #38
Lives for gear
 
spiderman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I want to know more, not hear more.
It was a kit project a year ago? So I just would like to know what it is now and if anything has changed.
They did change the CV panel from the kit version... added three new patch points. The kit project was the "Builder Class" at Moogfest.

Lots of info in this thread...
MUFF WIGGLER :: View topic - Damn. DFAM.
Old 1 week ago
  #39
Thanks.
I downloaded the manual. I guess I'd have to play with one in person (as usual).
Old 1 week ago
  #40
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
I wish Moog would stop ****ing around and actually do eurorack.
Old 1 week ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 

I definitely wish they'd reissue all of the Mooger Foogers and MiniFoogers in eurorack format, and reconfigure the Minitaur to more easily rack in Euro, too.

Moogers are enormous (especially for what they do), and the Minitaur (like the 0-Coast and others) is somewhat frustratingly *almost* rackable, yet isn't.

Zvex gets it... his euro version of the LoFi Junkie and Fuzz Factory are as perfect of a conversion as one could ask for. I hope others follow this lead.

(Yes, I know there are Kits to covert Moogers/Mintaur, but that's more cost and hassle, and the kits are limited. Just do it from the factory and be done.)

Same goes for Behringer... make a eurorack version of the Juno 106 Chorus now that you've got the clone done in pedal format, and ten other FX of yours.
Old 1 week ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I definitely wish they'd reissue all of the Mooger Foogers and MiniFoogers in eurorack format
I wished Moog would have done that by introducing 500 series versions of the Foogers (the Analog Delay and The Ladder are sublime), but alas, that ship's apparently sailed.

Short of that, Euro rack would be very welcome for the Foogs...
Old 1 week ago
  #43
Lives for gear
 

You're probably right. ^

A guy can dream, though, and say such things in public in the small chance that the Moog mothership gets the message and perhaps finally does something about it. Even if they only port the 500 series Delay to eurorack...

Old 1 week ago
  #44
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I wish Moog would stop ****ing around and actually do eurorack.
Makes me wonder if Moog are thinking about reputation/possible claims in that if they sell modules like all the boutique firms do customers are exposed to live circuit boards/electricity.
But by selling you a closed working unit what you do with it after that is on your own head ?.
Old 1 week ago
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I wish Moog would stop ****ing around and actually do eurorack.
Bob Moogs circuits are very well covered in eurorack, and the new company doesnt seem to have many own/genuine ideas.

Especially along a M32 i consider the DFAM an interesting little outboard gear, but not really a necessity for eurorack.
Old 1 week ago
  #46
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Bob Moogs circuits are very well covered in eurorack, and the new company doesnt seem to have many own/genuine ideas.

Especially along a M32 i consider the DFAM an interesting little outboard gear, but not really a necessity for eurorack.
I’ve said it in other discussions here and elsewhere. I think moog should leave their vintage type stuff to 5U so they don’t cut in on their existing market. If they did a line of euro modules based on enhanced versions of the circuits of the Sub37, I imagine they would do extremely well. **** they could even do an Animoog oscillator (touch capacitive surface would be so ****ing dope). You’d get a ton of people sayin AJH or Aion do Moog better than Moog does but, the name still has clout and I firmly believe the stuff would do well and would to an extent show Moogs interest in moving forward with the synth (r)evolution.

To me personally, the M32 and DFAM are interesting ideas but as a euro guy, I don’t find either of them particularly interesting contributions to the format.
Old 1 week ago
  #47
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Im stuck in my own bubble when it comes to music, artists have to arouse me in a certain way before I let them into my life. I have not heard of Rabbit but will check him out.
He’s one of my favorite new discoveries of the last few years.







If you like that, I strongly recommend M.E.S.H. as well. Those two artists in particular have given me hope for the future of music (also Objekt, who is stylistically very different but has some of the most amazing next level production I’ve ever heard).
Old 1 week ago
  #48
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

@Accent I'm sorry but Rabbit just isn't really doing anything for me.
Don't get me wrong i could go and listen to his music live and enjoy it no problem, but from what I've heard so far i couldn't buy it.

My album of the year is "Hammock - Mysterium"
Old 1 week ago
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
@Accent I'm sorry but Rabbit just isn't really doing anything for me.
Don't get me wrong i could go and listen to his music live and enjoy it no problem, but from what I've heard so far i couldn't buy it.

My album of the year is "Hammock - Mysterium"
Just had a listen to that Hammock album and I can totally get why Rabit isn’t for you. The Hammock stuff was simply sublime, gorgeous neoclassical/ambient work. Thanks for the tip, btw. I’ll have to check more out from him/her.

What I like about Rabit (and M.E.S.H) is how deconstructed their work is. To me, it’s kind of like listening to a photo negative of music, reversed but recognizable as an image. My tastes are broad, and I like music that broadens them still and makes me ask “what is this? Is it ‘music’? Does it evoke anything in me?”

As a middle ground, if you’re interested, I’d suggest checking out Arca. Not just a track or two, but a full work like “Mutant”



Personally, I think it’s powerful stuff that flips a lot of conventions and is incredibly moving and distinct, which I think is very hard to pull off convincingly with electronic music. Still may not be your thing, but it’s the kind of thing that gives me hope for the future of music.
Old 1 week ago
  #50
Lives for gear
 
spiderman's Avatar


DFAM thread. Forum etiquette guys.... back to op please. Start a new thread that debates personal taste in electronic music.
Old 1 week ago
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Makes me wonder if Moog are thinking about reputation/possible claims in that if they sell modules like all the boutique firms do customers are exposed to live circuit boards/electricity.
But by selling you a closed working unit what you do with it after that is on your own head ?.
This is true.
Lots of euro sellers are actually operating outside of electronics regulations. Moog is too big to risk that sort of operation. there's a LOT of regulation that changes from one country to the next.
Old 6 days ago
  #52
Not sure if I got it right. Can the DFAM be "built" into an existing Eurorack case?
Old 6 days ago
  #53
Yes. There is a guide to doing that in the DFAM manual.
Old 6 days ago
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The video is frustrating. I wanted to know more. I wasn't upset by the players they featured or the music they made. It was the lack of detail about the product and the out of focus camerwork and close-ups of pot plants etc....


It DOES come over as a lifestyle product given that treatment.
This. Exactly this. Chrisso nailed it. This is what bugs me about the DFAM video. In regards to the bubblegum comment made elsewhere in this thread, if you swapped out the Moog for bubblegum or a pair of shoes, they would barely have to change the dialog. The early Mother-32 videos had artists I'd never heard of as well, but at least they were talking about the product and what it does. We're no longer synth professionals, we're just recipients of their brand. They may as well pull a Marshall and start making refrigerators as well.
Old 2 days ago
  #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
We're no longer synth professionals, we're just recipients of their brand. They may as well pull a Marshall and start making refrigerators as well.
Now you're catching on!

Old 1 day ago
  #56
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

I've revisited that Moog DFAM video but this time I put headphones on and closed my eyes, it worked much better soaking up those great sounding patterns the footage is very distracting to an extent you somehow feel you've hardly heard the synth.
And yes you'd just think they were talking about arty music in general and not about this specific machine.

I do think it's bad of Moog to advertise a new synth where it seems they have to use 2 machines playing simultaneously in order to get something interesting.

They should of went back to the drawing board and morphed 2 into one machine.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the DFAM too much as there's still scope there for me to buy one.
Old 1 day ago
  #57
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

And here's a question.

If you have 2x M32s & 2x DFAM in a rack do you really need to expand into the money vacuum slippy slope of Eurorack,
Hindsight ?
Old 1 day ago
  #58
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
And here's a question.

If you have 2x M32s & 2x DFAM in a rack do you really need to expand into the money vacuum slippy slope of Eurorack,
Hindsight ?
Depends if you're happy with the more east coast subtractive Moog style. If you want to go generative, karplus strong resonator sequenced by a turing machine and euclidean pattern generators with granular sample mangling triggered by clocked burst generator bla bla bla...

Yes you will end up down the vacuum slippy slope of Eurorack.
Old 1 day ago
  #59
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Depends if you're happy with the more east coast subtractive Moog style. If you want to go generative, karplus strong resonator sequenced by a turing machine and euclidean pattern generators with granular sample mangling triggered by clocked burst generator bla bla bla...

Yes you will end up down the vacuum slippy slope of Eurorack.
Yeah agree. Buying a Moog-only setup would be awesome at first but then it would get boring quick imo. Only if you existed in a vacuum could you avoid the rest of euro...Maths and a Beasts Chalkboard alone unshackles a Mother-32, let alone a what a whole row of goodies can do to it.
Old 1 day ago
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
I have a friend that's using the DFAM video to troll myself and others like one would a Rickroll.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump