The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Noise Engineering - Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Noise Engineering - Basimilus Iteritas Alter

i've been thinking about getting a Basimilus Iteritas Alter - love the drum sounds I keep hearing from it, but videos are always deceiving cause I can never tell if they're layering the BD, snare & hihats or if it's all coming out of the Basimilus Iteritas Alter....

second hesitation - am I just going to sound like everyone else that uses this module?
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

I had it for a while but sold... it's a really fun module and doing that trick. For harsh noisy percussion... it's the best. After a while though, I realized that it seems to cut through the mix in a unfriendly way on anything that's not glitch style. It's not dynamic like some modules... that can go from warm to harsh to mild to aggressive.
I do think it does small metallic percussion pretty well too... and in those cases didn't seem to obvious.

So... Fun module. Has a specific sound. Doesn't do traditional drums well (clean kicks, snare, hh, toms) IMO
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

I've had mine for about four weeks.

It's a great bit of kit.

Kicks, hats and snares are all very easy to synthesize on it, but it really comes into its own with some modulation.

A slow LFO altering a hat makes it come alive.

Yes, it is good at the glitchy noise stuff the modular YouTube community seems to so love, but it is good at the bread and butter stuff.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
I had it for a while but sold... it's a really fun module and doing that trick. For harsh noisy percussion... it's the best. After a while though, I realized that it seems to cut through the mix in a unfriendly way on anything that's not glitch style. It's not dynamic like some modules... that can go from warm to harsh to mild to aggressive.
I do think it does small metallic percussion pretty well too... and in those cases didn't seem to obvious.

So... Fun module. Has a specific sound. Doesn't do traditional drums well (clean kicks, snare, hh, toms) IMO
Mine's is on the "don't sell list" ... I do know what spiderman's referring to though. I'll run mine through a compressor (Streams) if I end up patching something unwieldy.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Guru

I'm curious how it stands up to other drum voices that are modeled after analog drums. How does it compare to say an EMW Analog Drum Synth?
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm curious how it stands up to other drum voices that are modeled after analog drums. How does it compare to say an EMW Analog Drum Synth?
It's probably quite different ... The BIA is 6 OP synth with a wave folder at it's core. On top of that, it has an AD tweaked for percussion. I could probably recreate most of what the EMW does, wiring a few modules together (The EMW Alias is still my favorite for patching standard 808 / 909 type, "in the rack" kicks). Recreating what the BIA does would be much harder.

That said, buying one to make a snare or kick voice would probably be a waste. It excels as taking modulation and living on top of the typical 4/4 pattern. If you haven't seen it yet, this video is a really good example of what type of tones you can pull from it.

Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
i've been thinking about getting a Basimilus Iteritas Alter - love the drum sounds I keep hearing from it, but videos are always deceiving cause I can never tell if they're layering the BD, snare & hihats or if it's all coming out of the Basimilus Iteritas Alter....

second hesitation - am I just going to sound like everyone else that uses this module?
It's versatile enough, you probably won't sound like everything else. I was sold on getting one after seeing a performance where the guy was using a BIA and pinging a WMD MMF for bass line duties during a performance. It was a pretty room shaking pairing.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
that vid is JUST BIA, so hell yeah.
that's a no brainer.
I'll even went the extra step and order the Mantis Iterias.
hope together I can be happy for a while (and avoid the Percido big one...)
and obviously I had to get a voltage block to complete the set...

hope I don't also need the varigate8+ (I've got a new pam, so I should be good)
but that's for another thread.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
that vid is JUST BIA, so hell yeah.
that's a no brainer.
I'll even went the extra step and order the Mantis Iterias.
hope together I can be happy for a while (and avoid the Percido big one...)
and obviously I had to get a voltage block to complete the set...

hope I don't also need the varigate8+ (I've got a new pam, so I should be good)
but that's for another thread.
Varigate 4+ is nice for the size ...
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Varigate 4+ is nice for the size ...
unless theres a synergy between the two malekko modules that i'm not seeing in the specs that I need, i dont think i need more gates. Think I'm pretty covered with new Pam & octocontroller...
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear
Love my BIA, thinks it's on my never sell list too and I have a loquelic and just picked up a Manis too. BIA makes a great oscillator too, doesn't just have to be for drum stuff.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
BIA makes a great oscillator too, doesn't just have to be for drum stuff.
Any video or audio of this? Interested to hear what you mean...
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Any video or audio of this? Interested to hear what you mean...
attached MP3 isa brief clip of it doing some acid line from a track of mine.

found this on you tube
Attached Files

BIA1.mp3 (368.5 KB, 2981 views)

Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

This patch is going no where, save it's using the BIA for bass. Didn't help that my Turing kept insisting on re-creating Behind the Wheel.
Attached Files

bia.mp3 (3.42 MB, 3267 views)

Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
This patch is going no where, save it's using the BIA for bass. Didn't help that my Turing kept insisting on re-creating Behind the Wheel.
That's.. actually pretty freaking awesome, Void.
Old 5th January 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
but videos are always deceiving cause I can never tell if they're layering the BD, snare & hihats or if it's all coming out of the Basimilus Iteritas Alter....
The BIA can sound like an array of modules if you send the right rhythmic CV into it.
So I am guessing that you‘re hearing a single module most of the time when you think it got layered.
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's probably quite different ... The BIA is 6 OP synth with a wave folder at it's core. On top of that, it has an AD tweaked for percussion.
My bad. I was reading their web-page and saw 'analog-inspired' and assumed they meant that it was a digital rendering of an analog voice. I'm seeing now that it's quite different.

Quote:
Okay, this makes two different tracks on two different posts of yours that I'm digging. Please tell me you have an album for sale or at least some Bandcamp tracks. I'm really keen on hearing what else you've done.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
that sounds rad.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lols Behind the Wheel! Sure sounded like a fantastic remix!
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Difficult to express in words how awesome this module is and I've barely touched the surface yet.
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear

I just recently heard how great sounding this module was for percussion so im on here to check out some of the shared videos of it
Old 2nd February 2018
It's on my no-sell list also.
I have both the Alter and the non-Alter version.
It is great for all kinds of drums. The Alter version nails the modern techno/house hybrid 909 kick. I've found it can easily achieve acoustic kick type sounds.
Mine gets used for melodic bass and for all kinds of percussive sounds.
I have the Jomox Mbase 09 and EMW Digi-Drums and the BIA definitely offers tones you don't find elsewhere.
Old 2nd February 2018
I made a bit of a crappy video a while ago showing how the original Basimilus Iteritas can be used to weird up a standard electronic kick drum (Mbase09).
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I made a bit of a crappy video a while ago showing how the original Basimilus Iteritas can be used to weird up a standard electronic kick drum.
"Crappy" Seriously, it was good. Thanks for sharing that. You've just bumped the DSM03 and Jomox up a little higher on my wishlist.
Old 2nd February 2018
My studio is dark, making videoing hard work.
Also, my voiceover sounds bored!
I could do a ton of videos, it's just slow progress with the low light in the UK.
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
My studio is dark, making videoing hard work.
Also, my voiceover sounds bored!
I could do a ton of videos, it's just slow progress with the low light in the UK.
Your voice sounded fine and everything was properly lit and in focus. You're just being hard on yourself. I have zero complaints about this video. Far better than anything I've posted.
Old 2nd February 2018
Anyway.....(thanks).
The DSM03 is a fun module. I would say it's worth getting used, or at a bargain price. I bought mine used.
The BI and BIA on the other hand are both spectacular modules, capable of a wide variety of interesting sounds.
Jomox Mbase09 is the perfect bass drum module for me. I don't need anything else most of the time. I sometimes use samples for less electronic sounding bass drums.
Old 2nd February 2018
Quote:
I made a bit of a crappy video a while ago showing how the original Basimilus Iteritas can be used to weird up a standard electronic kick drum (Mbase09).
No, this is prof.
I could watch these vids all day long
Go Chrisso!!!!
Old 2nd February 2018
Too kind.
Old 2nd February 2018
Quote:
Too kind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search