The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Octatrack + Modular = put your videos and tips here
Old 2nd January 2018
Octatrack + Modular = put your videos and tips here

From the very beginning of my eurocrack adventure, I've wanted to build a system that integrated the Octatrack and some rig. This was the video that made me want to pursue this combo.... I haven't returned to this video in a while. Maybe now I could discet what they are doing.

My last patch from 2017 was a rhythmic romp using the Modular + Octatrack method. You can see some patch notes in the video's description. This one is basically a sliced beat, modular thru, and some delay freeze fx.

Are you using this combo? If so... Link a video. Add tips and tricks if you have any.
Old 2nd January 2018
I used to do this. I used my OT as the main sequencer and a modulation source. The vermona qmi2 is an extremely useful module for this. At one point I considered using 2 of them.

Another thing I did that was fun was modulating the clock of the OT from the modular. For this I used a Synthrotek Midi-cv module that has a clock in on it. You could get crazy results and not always what you’d expect.

Eventually I grew tired of my OT (after like 5 years), now I just do everything in the case. It’s a fun combo though, good luck!
Old 2nd January 2018
I can understand why you might leave the OT. This is my second one. It is a love-hate relationship.... but I think I've finally gotten comfortable with operating it this time.

Another trick I've tried (no video) is using the Record Buffer assigned to a Flex track... then sample modular for one pattern length.. then slice and random lock the trigs.... then make changes and occasionally rewrite that Record Buffer with new modular content. Makes for an interesting glitchy layer.
Old 2nd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
I can understand why you might leave the OT. This is my second one. It is a love-hate relationship.... but I think I've finally gotten comfortable with operating it this time.

Another trick I've tried (no video) is using the Record Buffer assigned to a Flex track... then sample modular for one pattern length.. then slice and random lock the trigs.... then make changes and occasionally rewrite that Record Buffer with new modular content. Makes for an interesting glitchy layer.
Try sampling modulation too.

I left the OT because you have to do too much on it just to start “playing”. Setup time spent prepping tracks and such kills the moment for me, and for some reason patching up an idea on the modular doesn’t. The OT is a brilliant machine of course, but you can’t have a template saved for every single idea you come up with on the fly. Also I got away from making preconceived music, everything I do these days is improvised on the spot in a band context with other people and the modular is so much more immediate. I definitely don’t hate the octatrack though, what a monster of a creation. I’m sure if I turned mine on today I would learn something new after all these years, and that’s amazing in and of itself. At this point I just dig wiggling more so that’s how I spend my time. The octatrack will go to my reverb store soon enough, plans plans plans...
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Try sampling modulation too.
That sounds exciting. Enlighten me. How do you do this?

Don't you run into dc/ac and/or 'modular level' issues?
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoTheMu View Post
That sounds exciting. Enlighten me. How do you do this?

Don't you run into dc/ac and/or 'modular level' issues?
I've said too much already...they will be coming for me. It's up to you now, the universe is counting on you!
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

I’ve kinda regretted flipping my OT since I got into modular because it seems like an ideal companion for sampling from your modular and building tracks from there. Unlike a lot of people, I had very few complaints about the OT, but ended up flipping it for an Analog Keys because I was planning to start my modular journey and wanted those CV options...in retrospect I should have just kept the OT and gotten a midi < CV converter (which I ended up getting anyhow) since I never really took to the AK and flipped it to buy a Squarp Pyramid (which I now use to drive my modular via Yarns). Still, I can’t justify another OT at this point mostly because I don’t want to be locked into Elektron’s workflow, and while they’ve addressed one of my gripes by adding trig conditions, the lack of Overbridge or any other way to really multitrack out of the machine was the biggest dealbreaker for me. Consequently, I’m looking at the ER-301 these days as something of an improved OT, sans the sequencer I don’t really need now.

All that said, I’m eagerly following this topic to see if anything changes my mind
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've said too much already...they will be coming for me. It's up to you now, the universe is counting on you!
No no no no...you can record CV into the OT? Do tell. I hadn’t heard that before and that’s actually a feature it seems most of the comparable eurorack samplers don’t seem to have.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Intense stare 'use the force' mind reading brain electrode clockwork orange emoji
Old 5th January 2018
File under tips category.... I've been looking at "best" module for interfacing OT with modular. I had Yarns before... now using MST Midi - CV... considering Squarp Hermod next (and think it's going to be the best)... but this Dubldeca (2x Dodeca) DIY module is badass too.

Old 5th January 2018
File under performance video... Don't know this guy, but damn he nailed it.

Old 5th January 2018
Quote:
File under tips category.... I've been looking at "best" module for interfacing OT with modular. I had Yarns before... now using MST Midi - CV... considering Squarp Hermod next (and think it's going to be the best)... but this Dubldeca (2x Dodeca) DIY module is badass too.

Vermona qmi2 is the heavyweight champ of (DIN) midi-cv IMO. Check it out.
Old 5th January 2018
Quote:
Old school solution... like Yarns... Vermona is great stuff, but many challengers are being born every day. My bet: Hermod is going to take the title this February.

Hermod modular brain
Old 5th January 2018
Quote:
Old school solution... like Yarns... Vermona is great stuff, but many challengers are being born every day. My bet: Hermod is going to take the title this February.

Hermod modular brain
Well I was specifically referring to standalone DIN Midi-CV converters. The Hermod is a sequencer module that has Midi-cv conversion as an added feature IMO. I am sure it will work fantastically since it is essentially a computer with a eurorack interface. But calling the Vermona "old school" isn't really the correct vernacular, unless you think WYSIWYG interfaces are "old school" by definition or something. I'm old school, this thing is a spring chicken by comparison. But then again I am older than most Minimoogs too.

And not to be argumentative, but from my perspective "taking the title" is a little extreme, considering for the Hermod to even approach the bare functionality of the Vermona QMI2, you'd have to use every single output for Midi-CV essentially leaving none for sequencing. The QMI is only 4 tracks of Midi, but with v/oct, gate and 2 modulation outputs per channel which you can easily program to respond to the Octatrack's (which is what we are specifically talking about in this thread) external control knob function. It has 3 clock outs that can be separately divided by pushing buttons on the front panel and a gate in for controlling mono/poly modes. Plus ever single setup function is available from a simple knob and button interface on the front panel without a screen. That last one is a big deal to me and the other "old schoolers" (we identify as a Presbyopians) who can't read little screen without straining. I have a fairly strict no-screen policy in my rig- alarm clocks like Braids and Stepper Acid are allowed but nothing smaller...

That's the problem with modules that try to do "too much" (generally subjective, and not necessarily my opinion about the Hermod), they usually make sacrifices in one way or another to pull it off. In the Hermod's case it seems you'd have to choose between sequencing and Midi-CV, at least I would once I started a full patch. It doesn't mean I am not totally impressed with Squarp though- they obviously make great stuff, just not for me.
Old 5th January 2018
I've actually messaged with Squarp a bit in recent days... sorting out the details. I think it's actually the other way around... PRIMARILY Hermod is a Midi -> CV -> Midi hub. The sequencing is more the added feature (and not a strong performance sequencer at that). Another difference between this and other MIDI to CV modules... Hermod isn't fixed architecture. As in all of the 16 outputs can be reconfigured to any function... 8 cv/gate pairs, all clocks, 4 cv/gate/cv/cv groupings, 1 cv/gate/cv/cv with 4 clocks and 4 gate sequences, etc, etc.

Definitely, as confirmed by Squarp, the Hermod is more "midi/cv hub" than flexible sequencer (although I'm sure they'd speak more kindly of the sequencer functions... which are another nice option... just not core function imo)

Old school? Just meaning that VQ2 was released back when? 2012? Eurorack evolving like computer hardware these days... 5 or 6 years of age and much has changed.

Last edited by spiderman; 5th January 2018 at 06:39 PM..
Old 5th January 2018
Quote:
I've actually messaged with Squarp a bit in recent days... sorting out the details. I think it's actually the other way around... PRIMARILY Hermod is a Midi -> CV -> Midi hub. The sequencing is more the added feature (and not a strong performance sequencer at that). Another difference between this and other MIDI to CV modules... Hermod isn't fixed architecture. As in all of the 16 outputs can be reconfigured to any function... 8 cv/gate pairs, all clocks, 4 cv/gate/cv/cv groupings, 1 cv/gate/cv/cv with 4 clocks and 4 gate sequences, etc, etc.

Definitely, as confirmed by Squarp, the Hermod is more "midi/cv hub" than flexible sequencer (although I'm sure they'd speak more kindly of the sequencer functions... which are another nice option... just not core function imo)

Old school? Just meaning that VQ2 was released back when? 2012? Eurorack evolving like computer hardware these days... 5 or 6 years of age and much has changed.
Fair enough on the nature of the Squarp then, and if it's your bag then I wish you well with it.

Your point about evolution is the very essence of my argument. Evolution isn't always a good thing when it results in a bunch of computers making their way into what was once a computerless region of music, making things less hands-on and more fiddly, which is definitely the trend in modular lately with bitbox, ER-3-0-whatevers and now stuff like Hermod. I'm not being a resistant old fuddy duddy here, it's just 2 different perspectives on what you and I want to get out of music really. I don't want to look at screens when I make music, I want to look at blinky lights and push buttons while I dance in front of the box! I don't want to configure things with templates and setup midi learn and cc#s, which is why I am selling my Octatrack in the first place. No matter how prepared I was for a new track there was always some bogus little inspiration killing detail. If I was keeping it I wouldn't want to plug that computer into another computer and do all the yadayadya it takes just to get a new original track going, I'd rather use patch cables...
Old 11th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
This is sick thank you. Been looking for awhile for something w/ independent midi ch assign and no usb crap.

You say its only DIN midi though? No mention of it here https://www.vermona.com/en/products/...product/qmi-2/

Last edited by dopeboy_magic; 11th February 2020 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: farts
Old 11th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboy_magic View Post
You say its only DIN midi though? No mention of it here https://www.vermona.com/en/products/...product/qmi-2/
It's on the front of the panel; there's only a MIDI port there, so no USB.
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

If there's an Octatrack MK3 it should DEFINITELY have CV/Gate output. CV A, CV B, Gate, Clock.
The possibilities of making Octatrack arrangements from tidy CV sequences would be awesome.
Even if it only let you sequence one track at a time it would be enough to do overdubbing to build songs.
You could build whole songs from one synth.
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Can’t believe I never saw this thread. Going to watch all the videos and maybe contribute one as well
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yeah, Id love to see how you all use your Octatracks with modular. I currently tweak my modular audio in Ableton now, which can be great, but I feel like I could do some advanced mangling with the octatrack. That said, many use the Octa as a brain for a Dawless setup, and im not looking to go that route so it may be overkill to get one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yeah, Id love to see how you all use your Octatracks with modular. I currently tweak my modular audio in Ableton now, which can be great, but I feel like I could do some advanced mangling with the octatrack. That said, many use the Octa as a brain for a Dawless setup, and im not looking to go that route so it may be overkill to get one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search