The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kick Drum Modules Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Kick Drum Modules

Hi All

I'm just building a bit of a drum rack in Euro format.

I've changed the kick drum repeatedly looking at various different options.

I'm currently hovering over the SSF Entity.

If anyone else has big drum racks what are you using for kicks.

I just took delivery of a Ladik ROM Player. Fantastic bit of kit and lovely build quality for the money. Went with the CR78 samples.
Old 8th December 2017
Here for the gear

I'm using a mix of Entity, Basimilus, and samples on a Tiptop One, but mainly Entity.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardisabelle View Post
I'm using a mix of Entity, Basimilus, and samples on a Tiptop One, but mainly Entity.
That's good to hear.

From what I've heard of it, it has a great range of potential sounds.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

I've got a few different drum modules. This is the one that ends up being my goto, though. Great kicks:

In addition to this, I have the Barton Analog Drum (it's basically just a kick, and a fairly decent one), EMW T-Drum (good basic kits), EMW DigiDrum (if you're going to get a ROM playback device for kicks, I recommend this because most of what's on it is kicks and snares), Blue Lantern Asteroid BD (sounds like slapping cardboard), ASol BD99 (great 909 kicks, but the decay doesn't clamp down all the way, so it leaks background noise) MFB Drum-04 Kick Drum (it's like the Schlagzwerg and 503 so if you like that sound, you'll love this one), Leploop Cassa (okayish 808 kick, but really excels at being a distortion module), Mutable Peaks (great 808 kick and snare, unbelievably mean FM engine that creates pounding kicks that love distortion), Future Retro Transient (really good sounds and a very capable synth engine, but tedious as hell to edit), Synthrotek DS-8 (kinda Simmons-ish kicks, fidly to dial in), Moffenzeef Muskrat & GMO (both very cool drum modules, but a little weak in the kicks I think), Bastl Grandpa (very cool character sampler, so it depends on the samples you feed it) FSS Convulsion Generator (very cool for modulation, but maybe not the best choice for 808 kicks as it's advertised), and Mutable Braids (a little weak in the kick department until you start hooking envelopes to the FM engine.)
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Hi All

I'm just building a bit of a drum rack in Euro format.

I've changed the kick drum repeatedly looking at various different options.

I'm currently hovering over the SSF Entity.

If anyone else has big drum racks what are you using for kicks.

I just took delivery of a Ladik ROM Player. Fantastic bit of kit and lovely build quality for the money. Went with the CR78 samples.
I have the SSF Entity and it is a sub bass monster. It will literally shake the house. I use that and Tiptop One samples for more processed sounding kicks.

The cool thing about the Entity is that it tracks V/o so you can use it as a bass synth type thing. It can also be a filter. Really clever design. Would def recommend.
Old 8th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I've got a few different drum modules. This is the one that ends up being my goto, though. Great kicks:

In addition to this, I have the Barton Analog Drum (it's basically just a kick, and a fairly decent one), EMW T-Drum (good basic kits), EMW DigiDrum (if you're going to get a ROM playback device for kicks, I recommend this because most of what's on it is kicks and snares), Blue Lantern Asteroid BD (sounds like slapping cardboard), ASol BD99 (great 909 kicks, but the decay doesn't clamp down all the way, so it leaks background noise) MFB Drum-04 Kick Drum (it's like the Schlagzwerg and 503 so if you like that sound, you'll love this one), Leploop Cassa (okayish 808 kick, but really excels at being a distortion module), Mutable Peaks (great 808 kick and snare, unbelievably mean FM engine that creates pounding kicks that love distortion), Future Retro Transient (really good sounds and a very capable synth engine, but tedious as hell to edit), Synthrotek DS-8 (kinda Simmons-ish kicks, fidly to dial in), Moffenzeef Muskrat & GMO (both very cool drum modules, but a little weak in the kicks I think), Bastl Grandpa (very cool character sampler, so it depends on the samples you feed it) FSS Convulsion Generator (very cool for modulation, but maybe not the best choice for 808 kicks as it's advertised), and Mutable Braids (a little weak in the kick department until you start hooking envelopes to the FM engine.)
I don't post much but this post deserves the time. It's (almost) a one stop kick module review!

Next time I must remember to 'just ask Derp'!
Old 8th December 2017
I use Peaks for generic sounding kicks that just need to blend in. For something unique the Neuron is really great, it has a lot of sculpting capabilities and cv over all of them. You can make a reasonable fake of all the popular kicks from vintage stuff too. Thing about Neuron is, it makes rad hihats, really great snares, toms, and even talking drums. I'd kinda like 2 of them...
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I just got the EMW Analog Drum Synth based on @Derp’s recommendation and demo and will second his recommendation. Great kicks and all sorts of other sounds too. Almost grabbed the EMW Analog Kick module as well but I had some restraint.

I use Peaks for kicks as well and like the results. Very full, deep kicks out of that module.
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Addict

I'm using the TipTop BD909 along with my own kicks out of Ripples and Maths. Was definitely considering the EMW.
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Problem with the EMW stuff is getting hold of it in the UK.

That was originally in my first iteration based on what I had read here.
Old 9th December 2017
I think I got my EMW direct from Brazil?

Anyway, the king of kick modules is Jomox Modbase 09 IMO.
I also use the Basimilus Alter.
Old 12th December 2017
SRT
Lives for gear
I don't appreciate most modular kick drum units because they seem to be focused around producing overly saturated and/or weak 909 emulations.

Jomox ModBase9 is pretty flexible and can dual as a sub generator. Has a range of click sounds that are uniquely Jomox.

RiDrum TK-01 has a precise modern sound with the just right range of options. Perfect for clean kick sounds that you can saturate further along in the signal path.
Old 12th December 2017
BoomTSchak has my eyes and ears at attention. So big though...
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Judging from demos only, the Bastl T Kick sounds good and flexible
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
jomox modbase 09
Old 17th April 2018
Here for the gear

I purchased my first original AKG D12 20 years ago. I immediately got it cleaned and rebuilt to original specs, I have never looked back. I use nothing else on kick drums. If your interested here is what I do with it: Firstly (and most importantly) I tune the Kick to my liking with decisions on wood or felt pedals, click pad or no click pad, sandbag and acoustic dampening inside or not. Once I have the drum itself sounding good to my ears when kneeling in front of it (from the back nearish where my mic might be placed) I position my D12. For separation and less spill purposes I will often place a heavy blanket over the back end of the kick drum and mic stand. From here I use a GML mic pre to GML EQ to a Urei 1178 then believe it or not a BBE 802. I may not always use all in the line but this gives me ultimate control of how I want the kick to sound. Just a touch of 1178 comp can make a big difference. The speed and front end of the GML mic pre is perfect for me. The GML EQ lets me tune the sound without sounding over EQ'd even when I hammer or de-hammer some frequencies and the BBE just adds more click or more overall body if I wish to use it. With this combo, I always get what I want and I never have to use samples to replace my original recorded kick drum. Its just my take on it fellow Slutz.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just got the Entity Bass Drum this past week, and it’s a monster for kicks. I’m already wanting a second one as a dedicated bass module too. Really impressed with the sounds this module makes.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Just got the Entity Bass Drum this past week, and it’s a monster for kicks. I’m already wanting a second one as a dedicated bass module too. Really impressed with the sounds this module makes.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I've been away and busy so haven't played on mine for a bit.

Can't wait to get back to making beef.
Old 17th April 2018
Here for the gear
Nowadays I'm using Basimilus Iteritas Alter for kick drums. Rabid Elephant is reportedly at work on a kick drum module now, in R.E.'s own words:
Quote:
Kick module. This one is easily our best work to date.
..if there's any truth to that statement (which I don't doubt) it's going to be pretty awesome. I don't really need a dedicated kick module, but I'm pretty sure I'll try this one, then BIA will be freed up to do crazy drums and bass lines
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear
Cwejman BLD.....
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

During vacation, I was focused on making an album of musical compositions with all these toys. I found myself not using the Analog Drum Synth nearly as much as I thought I would. Most of my kicks were coming from the two EMW sample ROM playback units, with support from Plonk and Dinky's Taiko. I jumped around a lot to get a variety, especially when it came to layering, but those were the ones I kind of built up in my head as "These are my primary kick modules."
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
During vacation, I was focused on making an album of musical compositions with all these toys. I found myself not using the Analog Drum Synth nearly as much as I thought I would. Most of my kicks were coming from the two EMW sample ROM playback units, with support from Plonk and Dinky's Taiko. I jumped around a lot to get a variety, especially when it came to layering, but those were the ones I kind of built up in my head as "These are my primary kick modules."
The nice thing about having other good options for kicks is that now your ADS is free to do all the other sounds it’s capable of. Since getting the Entity Bass Drum, I’ve been using the ADS to make some cool snares and claps and “pew-pew” lazergun sounds and things
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
The nice thing about having other good options for kicks is that now your ADS is free to do all the other sounds it’s capable of. Since getting the Entity Bass Drum, I’ve been using the ADS to make some cool snares and claps and “pew-pew” lazergun sounds and things
Speaking of other drum sounds, I fell in love all over again with my Galilean Moons. Just plug whatever source you want into it, and it's an instant percussion machine. Surprised at myself for not thinking of it before.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Anyway, the king of kick modules is Jomox Modbase 09 IMO.
Reviving this subject because I love the kicks in Chrisso's videos. Does anybody think there's a better kick module than the Jomox, or should I just start saving my pennies and put in a preorder with somebody?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not helpful, but still doing my Ladik M-216 to Analog Rytm for kicks. That said, my favorite modular kick, 808 styles, is the EMW Alias in triangle.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Reviving this subject because I love the kicks in Chrisso's videos. Does anybody think there's a better kick module than the Jomox, or should I just start saving my pennies and put in a preorder with somebody?
Cwejman BLD 2 is comming..

Did anyone compared the Jomox to the SSF Entity?
Old 1 week ago
My second favourite is BIA.
I had a Cwejman BLD for a while and found it weak and uninspiring. Haven’t tried Entity yet.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Having had the Entity for some time now, I have to say I love the module, but it's not the best for kicks. It's more wide ranging, and the sweet spot for kicks - or at least the type I like - is quite narrow.

Very thuddy techno style, which work well drenched in reverb, but there's no really body to them to make them really punchy. Fantastic at what it does, though, and it's really good for tuned stuff and whacks and thwacks.

I'll second the BIA. It's pretty much capable of everything, and has a massive range of useable sounds. The kind of white noisey top end percussion stuff is where it's most comfortable, though.

I picked up a Tip Top BD8, and I know the 808 kick is overused, but this one is absolutely great. It's got some real balls to it, and the decay seems to never end. Love it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
How can you say BLD is weak? When you start sending the AHR into the FM inputs...Jiiiz, I can make the best 808 and 909 kick and everything in between.
You have a perfect control on E-VE-RY-THING.

Funny, I always get rid of some attack because it's so punchy! ahah

I had a Jomox couple of months ago (I posted in this thread). Different animals. Jomox has that typical 909 muddy sound. BLD is more clean in that way, more modern.
For me it was hard to put Jomox kick in my production. No problem with BLD.

BLD 2 will be another buy for me. Want 2! It excels at VCO too!

I read couple of messages like yours mutilatedlip, saying the sweat spot is really tight on Entity.

And yeah BD808 is really cool. Had it too!
Old 1 week ago
Because I owned it for about a year and make electronic drum samples professionally?
It’s effectively an analog synth voice in a module anyway. There is no magic voodoo you can’t achieve with an oscillator, noise source, envelope and vca you already own.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search