The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Let’s talk about big cases
Old 19th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
But if you put the power on the side it then prevents you putting another case next to it
Only on one side!
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Only on one side!
Are you saying you'd limit yourself to only two cases side by side!? YOU MUST ATTAIN ALL OF THE CASES!
Old 19th January 2018
Thanks
I don’t want to **** the case up, but maybe a small diy table ( height 3 inch ..or so) with a hole in it for the cable would do the job...
Old 19th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
Thanks
I don’t want to **** the case up, but maybe a small diy table ( height 3 inch ..or so) with a hole in it for the cable would do the job...
Yoga style

I am 78.74 inch tall. A doepfer case + diy table on the coffee table is even better...
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

I discovered last night that the Cell 90 I've been using as a drum rack since I got the Knit rider creates terrible digital noise in my system. It doesn't even need to have anything patched to my main case and you can hear some terrible digital squealing from both knit and ONE. This means I can't use the Cell case with anything digital and I'm trying to squeeze my most used modules back into the Intellijel 42hp mini case (which is quiet at least).

So now the dilemma - get a 104 skiff to replace the cell 90 or go big and put everything in something like a pitts 420 with lots of room to grow. The thing is that 9U of 104hp is a good size for me. It's portable and it makes sense to me to separate the drum rack from the synth because I can easily use one without the other but it's also a little unwieldy in my studio space with the skiff awkwardly resting on top of the other case. The other problem is I don't see too many (any?) 9U 104hp cases and going wider would make me have to rejigger the whole space.

Basically I'm deep into first world problems here and it's stressing me out.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I discovered last night that the Cell 90 I've been using as a drum rack since I got the Knit rider creates terrible digital noise in my system. It doesn't even need to have anything patched to my main case and you can hear some terrible digital squealing from both knit and ONE. This means I can't use the Cell case with anything digital and I'm trying to squeeze my most used modules back into the Intellijel 42hp mini case (which is quiet at least).

So now the dilemma - get a 104 skiff to replace the cell 90 or go big and put everything in something like a pitts 420 with lots of room to grow. The thing is that 9U of 104hp is a good size for me. It's portable and it makes sense to me to separate the drum rack from the synth because I can easily use one without the other but it's also a little unwieldy in my studio space with the skiff awkwardly resting on top of the other case. The other problem is I don't see too many (any?) 9U 104hp cases and going wider would make me have to rejigger the whole space.

Basically I'm deep into first world problems here and it's stressing me out.
What about 12u by 104hp? It'll give you your ideal width and you can integrate the drum row into the same case making it a little more portable?
Old 24th January 2018
I am probably going for the Ginko case. 9u 114hp. It is a doepfer style case (with the powercable on the side of the case).
I sold my Octatrack but that money I will spent on modules. And that is the reason I need a bigger case
Hope he still makes those cases in the next few months or so.
Old 24th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
What about 12u by 104hp? It'll give you your ideal width and you can integrate the drum row into the same case making it a little more portable?
Amalgamod makes lovely cases this size.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

I've been looking at 12Us and there are quite a few available. It would be nice to get away from sliding nuts but other than that, the structure 208 has been great to me with no real hassles so I'm hesitant to give up on a good thing. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
They do look the part. AUD $1280 is what about $1k US? Anyone have experiences with the PSUs (Universal Input 100-240V)? Also any worries about AU to US power? It would just be a different 3 prong power cord right?
Old 24th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
They do look the part. AUD $1280 is what about $1k US? Anyone have experiences with the PSUs (Universal Input 100-240V)? Also any worries about AU to US power? It would just be a different 3 prong power cord right?
No personal experience. I had a plan to buy one of these, but I decided I needed all 504 hp of the monster case (plus the 96 I am adding to it).

If it's universal then yeah there might be a voltage switch to flip or something but it should work fine in the US afaik.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll put my plug in for MDLR Cases performer series. I wish I could justify the upgrade from my 12U/104HP to their new 14U/126HP.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone using the Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-420? In doing some more thinking, I might be able to fit that into my space and could use my Mantis as a “skiff”, and I’d still have my HEK and spare row to expand...the Pitts case would be the exact same HP as my plans for my HEK + spare row and Doepfer 9U with ample power, and I’d still have another 208 HP with the Mantis, with 164 HP (sans power) in the HEK for overflow.

The two things putting me off of the Pittsburgh case: 1) sliding nuts, nuff said, and 2) the distance from the edges of the case to the power headers. Especially in regards to #2 I’d be interested in how people are getting on with the 420. That looks like a good distance to bridge. Are you using longer cables or some kind of power cable extender, or does it just reach? I can imagine it being a pain if you’re using smaller modules at the end of your case (for example, I keep MI Ears at the end of my case so I can tap the case and pick it up with the mic, but the power cable is probably way too short on that little 4HP module to reach the first header on the Pitts).
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Anyone using the Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-420? In doing some more thinking, I might be able to fit that into my space and could use my Mantis as a “skiff”, and I’d still have my HEK and spare row to expand...the Pitts case would be the exact same HP as my plans for my HEK + spare row and Doepfer 9U with ample power, and I’d still have another 208 HP with the Mantis, with 164 HP (sans power) in the HEK for overflow.

The two things putting me off of the Pittsburgh case: 1) sliding nuts, nuff said, and 2) the distance from the edges of the case to the power headers. Especially in regards to #2 I’d be interested in how people are getting on with the 420. That looks like a good distance to bridge. Are you using longer cables or some kind of power cable extender, or does it just reach? I can imagine it being a pain if you’re using smaller modules at the end of your case (for example, I keep MI Ears at the end of my case so I can tap the case and pick it up with the mic, but the power cable is probably way too short on that little 4HP module to reach the first header on the Pitts).
Well, I impulse bought an EP-420, so I guess I’ll tell you
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

If your ribbon cables are not long enough make some new cables.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If your ribbon cables are not long enough make some new cables.
Sounds easy enough if you’re a DIYer...which I’m not, but it doesn’t seem like it would be difficult. What kind of ribbon cable/connectors should I be looking for? Maybe a stupid question, but knowing my luck I’d get the wrong thing and fry a module or something.
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
The two things putting me off of the Pittsburgh case: 1) sliding nuts, nuff said, and 2) the distance from the edges of the case to the power headers. Especially in regards to #2 I’d be interested in how people are getting on with the 420. That looks like a good distance to bridge. Are you using longer cables or some kind of power cable extender, or does it just reach?
My 420 case came with 5 or so extra power cables. So far I've had to use one of them in the bottom row where the module at the end that couldn't reach.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds easy enough if you’re a DIYer...which I’m not, but it doesn’t seem like it would be difficult. What kind of ribbon cable/connectors should I be looking for? Maybe a stupid question, but knowing my luck I’d get the wrong thing and fry a module or something.
I could go into a lot more detail, but for now if you google the following 3 items.
It all just clips together with a bit of force.

10 way Ribbon cable

10 Pin IDC connector (which is 2 rows of 5) female

16 Pin IDC connector (which is 2 rows of 8) female

There are rare modules that use 16 way Ribbon cable so handy to have a length of that too

Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Head
You won't need to make your own cables unless you need more than the 5 extra that comes with the case, though.

The only thing bothering me about Pittsburgh Structure cases is the 4/40 mounting screws. I wish they were M3 so I could use befaco knurlies. I don't mind the sliding nuts at all. No problem for me to rearrange modules, it's often easier to do than with threaded strips since you don't have to remove a whole row of modules just to fit a 10hp module in a 8hp space. Just loosen the screws and slide the modules to the side. Theres also at least 1hp extra space per row so you have 423hp total in the case. And it looks great!
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterPhase View Post
My 420 case came with 5 or so extra power cables. So far I've had to use one of them in the bottom row where the module at the end that couldn't reach.
I didn’t realize they included some extra power cables. That should hopefully solve any issues I might encounter then. I’m arranging my case plans to mostly put large modules on the ends, but there’s a couple smaller ones I’m concerned about like MI Ears, which I prefer having at the end of the case so I can tap the case and pick it up on the mic. Cheers for that info!
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could go into a lot more detail, but for now if you google the following 3 items.
It all just clips together with a bit of force.

10 way Ribbon cable

10 Pin IDC connector (which is 2 rows of 5) female

16 Pin IDC connector (which is 2 rows of 8) female

There are rare modules that use 16 way Ribbon cable so handy to have a length of that too

Cheers man, that will save me some hassle if I need to roll my own power cables. Much appreciated
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Does anyone have links for blueprints or design measurement requirements to build a large case? I'm thinking of building one, but would want curved rows and unsure if there are some simple plans to follow.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search