The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
General Purpose LFOs Modular Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

General Purpose LFOs

Hi All

I'm building a rack, and at the moment am leaning towards the Doepfer Quad LFO/VCO due to bang for buck and facilities on offer.

In terms of general workhorse LFOs, what's everyone using, or what would you recommend?

I love the usability of Doepfer modules, but it's big and grey
Old 4 weeks ago
I have that quad LFO/VCO as well. I still have two older single channel VCLFO, they're in a pair one modulates the other. I'm triggering them with a 4MS clock divider.
This one's on my list: it's also available as DIY kit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quad LFO owner here as well. Great utilitarian module that sees a lot of use in my rig. Others I would possibly look into:

Noise Reap Loafers - Four LFO's with triangle and square outs, but also adjustable skew and CV-able rate.

Bastl CV Trinity - Six LFO's/ASR's/Knob recorders, all clock-synced.

Make Noise Maths - It just does so much for the money. Especially good idea if you've got a smaller system as this covers a lot of bases.

MFB LFO2 - Two LFO's, but with pre-patched rate modulation between each other. They come up cheap fairly often.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Noise Reap stuff looks great.

I'm ordering the VCD and Bermuda for my new case.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I use Peaks and Just Friends. I've had a Butami on my list for a while but between those two Maths and the ability to run either or both of two Dixie2s in LFO mode I'm pretty set for LFOs. I like how you can change the reset behavior on the Deopfer quad. It's amazing how many LFOs don't have a reset at all. I had a chance to pick up a Chain Reactor for cheap but with no resets I had to pass.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
very useful module! I have it, use it all the time and will keep it forever! helps to animate patches. Of course its good to have another kind of lfo in your rack too, that does cv frequency, with resets etc...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Limited experience with other stuff, but the hands down best LFO I have is the Octocontroller. Second on the list would be Batumi. I've also got Peaks, and a ton of other stuff that could do LFO duties, but those are my go to's. If you want sync'ing, go with the Octo. If you want freeform that can go into audible range to create some crazy sounds, go with Batumi (even though it will sync also, just not as precise). As you can see from my racks, there's room for both.
Old 4 weeks ago
RiF
Lives for gear

Batumi here. 4 LFO‘s in one, independent or related to each other. Clockable, reset-able. And some nice random stuff with the expert firmware, compact.
I have the Poti-Expander on order for essier access to the rear jumpers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

if i ever quickly want a LFO i always seem to reach for the Dixie.
Old 1 week ago
Everyone needs a Batumi
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Octocontroller...can't wait for the expander too!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not to start the digital vs analogue argument, but i personally prefer analogue modulators, as much or even more so then digital ones, but that definitely depends on use. For example, the smoothness and organic nature of my Vulcan modulator is vastly preferred to my Peaks, in lfo mode. But the peaks, as lfo, does have some great shape controls, and better sync~ability. Same when I compare my rs-60 envelope, to pretty much any other digital envelope, I've ever encountered.

I know this stuff shouldn't make much difference, but it really does. Its almost like who cares about the gating/timing?; that can be digital as hell, but the actual modulation output does make a difference.

Still, sometimes you dont want organic smoothness, but alien waveshapes... in which case, digital modulators excel.

I'm just not really sold on statements saying this synth, or that, is fully analogue signal path, when the have digital envelopes. Its completely analogue, except for the shape of the modulator opening and closing the vca?

Anyways i only bring it up because of all the digital lfo suggestions. Im sure the doepfer is a sweet unit! But also, the modcan quad, and bitomi, seem pretty revered.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Batumi owners: If you've already got a ton of LFO's at your disposal, would you still feel the need to get a Batumi?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Batumi owners: If you've already got a ton of LFO's at your disposal, would you still feel the need to get a Batumi?
It's a good LFO, but you could replace it by other LFO's...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Id say yes because you can never have enough modulation sources, plus with Batumi's various modes it does more than your average LFO, and there is a lot of modules getting released lately that are of a quad format so the batumi will always work well with those modules, if I wasnt so busy gassing over other stuff (probably an A-111-4 next) I'd buy another Batumi.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
probably an A-111-4 next).
Holy c... that's cool.

Crazy expensive ... But cool
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts View Post
Holy c... that's cool.

Crazy expensive ... But cool
As with most of Doepfer's stuff, it's not that expensive when you consider what you're getting. Four of their precision VCO's for a hundred euros a pop isn't that bad.
Old 1 week ago
Yes, maybe I should rethink this, not as "4 extra lfo's but I already have 2" but as "4 extra vco's that can be lfo's as well."

So I could skip buying the A-110-2, save EUR 180 and it'd only be ... Oh dear.

No. Must save up for Maths first.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts View Post
Yes, maybe I should rethink this, not as "4 extra lfo's but I already have 2" but as "4 extra vco's that can be lfo's as well."

So I could skip buying the A-110-2, save EUR 180 and it'd only be ... Oh dear.

No. Must save up for Maths first.
In this case, I think you may have misread. The module it's based on (A-111-3) has LFO mode, but the A-111-4 doesn't have it. It's strictly audio-rate oscillators. Heck, I wish I'd seen this thing myself before I went on my analog oscillator adventure.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I noticed the A-111-4 is SMD as well, didn't know doepfer had started using SMD, its cool as you'll get more features per space.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve got Maths, twin Peaks, and other LFOs at my disposal. The Batumi is still at the core of pretty much every patch. At this point patching without the Batumi would feel like making a sandwich without the bread.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
In this case, I think you may have misread. The module it's based on (A-111-3) has LFO mode, but the A-111-4 doesn't have it. It's strictly audio-rate oscillators. Heck, I wish I'd seen this thing myself before I went on my analog oscillator adventure.
Well, you can set the tune control to span 4 octaves, so it *could* be used for LFO duties ...

But you're right. It would be a b*** to tune.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I’ve got Maths, twin Peaks, and other LFOs at my disposal. The Batumi is still at the core of pretty much every patch. At this point patching without the Batumi would feel like making a sandwich without the bread.
Anyone choosing Batumi over Maths in a patch is a glowing recommendation to me. On the wishlist it stays, then. Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I have 2x Dixie II+, Dr Octature II, Maths, Function, Tides and 2x Disting if I run out of LFOs. I wish I'd bought a Batumi but I can't justify it considering all of those modulation sources. Generally I reach for the Dixie II+ for LFO duty.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone choosing Batumi over Maths in a patch is a glowing recommendation to me. On the wishlist it stays, then. Thanks!
I can’t quite say I’d take Batumi over Maths, considering all that Maths provides. But I can’t imagine patching without either of them. Throw in a Cold Mac and you’ve got a stew going bby.
Old 1 day ago
Octocontroller seems nice to
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search