The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Moog modular owners? New and old?
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
Any Moog modular owners? New and old?

Does not seem to hear much about Moog Modulars. Any owners of new or old systems?

Its kind of odd because there were a bunch in universities etc..

Even the reissues, they sold yet you never see videos of them except a few after heavy searching.
Old 7th November 2017
DSC
Gear Maniac

That is why I created my own. Using it right now, matter of fact!

Old 7th November 2017
Gear Nut

Have a small system here built Aug. 11,1969. That was the Monday before Woodstock. The two bottom left cabinets are the originals with the rest added on over the years.

It has all the fun alternative controllers Moog offered.

I even made a custom ribbon controller for it.

A fun synthesizer to play with lots of depth in the sounds you can create with it. The centerpiece of my studio and my main instrument I play almost every day.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

There are some Moog modular owners that hang out on forums like Gearslutz and Muff's (like the most excellent and respected CZ Rider! ) but probably the highest concentration of people that own actual Moog modulars and that like to chat on forums about them probably hang out on the Moog forums? https://forum.moogmusic.com/index.php?q=forum/ Check out the modular sub section of course but also look through the General Topics section because like Gearsultz, the modular sub forum is relatively new but unlike Gearslutz they didn't try to move all of the modular related threads to the new modular sub forum.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Rider View Post
Have a small system here built Aug. 11,1969. That was the Monday before Woodstock. The two bottom left cabinets are the originals with the rest added on over the years.

It has all the fun alternative controllers Moog offered.

I even made a custom ribbon controller for it.

A fun synthesizer to play with lots of depth in the sounds you can create with it. The centerpiece of my studio and my main instrument I play almost every day.
Wow Super nice setup. How did you come about such a system? I heard Universities etc.. were dumping them for scrap etc in the late 80s :( The era of the Great modular meltdowns.

Makes me wonder how many functional Moog Modulars exist in the world.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post

Nice Its good to see some Moog love, it seems they have been left in the dust with Eurorack etc...
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
Nice Its good to see some Moog love, it seems they have been left in the dust with Eurorack etc...
Honestly, that's their own doing. They chose to offer one module a little too late. The Mother-32 was a moderate success, but most Eurorack users don't want a full voice in one module.

Moog could do better in the Eurorack market if they actually tried.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

I think Moog will do a lot more in modular. They are likely doing the planning now. Moog seems to operate very methodically, taking the time to plan.

If you look; first the Werkstatt as a test.....the the Mother32 as end product. I think next they will do a larger panel semi-modular like an Arp 2600 or something...

Last edited by INDEED; 8th November 2017 at 12:53 AM..
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conjure View Post
Honestly, that's their own doing. They chose to offer one module a little too late. The Mother-32 was a moderate success, but most Eurorack users don't want a full voice in one module.

Moog could do better in the Eurorack market if they actually tried.
Well the Mother 32 had a lot of time spent on it’s design. Since then there has been the BFAM and the DFAM so it’s not like they aren’t trying. The DFAM will be going into production. I’d prefer they took their time.

Most eurorack users don’t know what they want, that’s why they have 5 - 10k systems that are never finished.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

I've said this elsewhere before. I think they would kick ass in the euro market if they did some modules based around elements of the sub37 (maybe a little better range on the oscillators). It would put them in that market without stepping on their vintage reissues too much. But ffs, get the voltages right.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I've said this elsewhere before. I think they would kick ass in the euro market if they did some modules based around elements of the sub37 (maybe a little better range on the oscillators). It would put them in that market without stepping on their vintage reissues too much. But ffs, get the voltages right.
Elaborate on getting the voltages right please. Which product?
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Elaborate on getting the voltages right please. Which product?
Mother-32. It doesn't really play well with others.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Mother-32. It doesn't really play well with others.
If you’re talking the KB output that is a fairly minor niggle and easily solved by using the mixer set at 8 o clock. It’s not ideal and could of been better and so could of a lot of things on it like the clock output and not being able to seperate the sequencer from the synth.

A lot of things that can seem annoying on it can also be a nice feature. Accessing the buttons in the tier setup is what annoys me the most, damn impossible when you need to do all those combinations.
Old 11th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
How did you come about such a system? I heard Universities etc.. were dumping them for scrap etc in the late 80s :( The era of the Great modular meltdown.
I was lucky and found the original Moog IP via eBay from a zero feedback seller that had just joined. Was seen by some as a hoax and I was the only bidder.
Here is a link from Matrixsynth of the original auction.
MATRIXSYNTH: MOOG Model 1P
Long story short, the Moog was originally purchased by a famous Manhattan studio, and sold off in 1979. Changed hands to a Long Island professor that kept it under wraps for many years. He created the eBay account to sell the modular at what was a very fair price. I drove out to LI to pick it up. This is what it looked like when I got it home.

I do my own electronics and with a little restoration work was able to bring the little used Moog back to original working condition. Added a few period correct modules and made three DIY modules to complete the small Moog system.

I was lucky to find such an instrument with obviously low hours of use. I suppose it was typical of a well equipped high end studio in 1969 to have a synthesizer. And by 1971 the Minimoog took over for getting those new synthesizer sounds. So perhaps the Moog was packed away until it was sold. Most of those university Moog's saw the exact opposite with many hours and use/abuse by many students. This Moog found a good home and is no museum piece, but is used almost every day and is my main synthesizer.
Have taken the Moog out live a few times too!

Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Rider View Post
I was lucky and found the original Moog IP via eBay from a zero feedback seller that had just joined. Was seen by some as a hoax and I was the only bidder.
Here is a link from Matrixsynth of the original auction.
MATRIXSYNTH: MOOG Model 1P
Long story short, the Moog was originally purchased by a famous Manhattan studio, and sold off in 1979. Changed hands to a Long Island professor that kept it under wraps for many years. He created the eBay account to sell the modular at what was a very fair price. I drove out to LI to pick it up. This is what it looked like when I got it home.

I do my own electronics and with a little restoration work was able to bring the little used Moog back to original working condition. Added a few period correct modules and made three DIY modules to complete the small Moog system.

I was lucky to find such an instrument with obviously low hours of use. I suppose it was typical of a well equipped high end studio in 1969 to have a synthesizer. And by 1971 the Minimoog took over for getting those new synthesizer sounds. So perhaps the Moog was packed away until it was sold. Most of those university Moog's saw the exact opposite with many hours and use/abuse by many students. This Moog found a good home and is no museum piece, but is used almost every day and is my main synthesizer.
Have taken the Moog out live a few times too!

excellent, really cool background story on it. Yeah back in those days that setup would cost as much as a car and then some so only high end studios and universities can afford to own one

When Switched on Bach came out a ton of Studios had to have a Moog in order to compete and attract customers. And you are correct about low hours. Once the fever died down most of those Modulars got little use in studios except look good. The issue was most people did not know how to get good sound out of them and were more focused on the rest of the studio operations which they were well versed in. With the exception of Malcolm Cecil who know how to work them and had his TONTO which attracted Stevie Wonder and others to his studio.

Anyhow I myself purchased a Moog Model 15 a few months ago and spend 3+ months learning how to make the best use of it and with every day of operation it just keeps getting better.

I use mines every day. What I noticed is a smoother well rounded sound and when you use the 907(A) FFB and work with the gain staging on the CP3 mixer it just takes it to another world.

These things are meant to be played and with finesse to really appreciate the sound of the Oscillators,mixer,filters,etc.. all adds up to a beautiful sound. I have had the opportunity to listen to other setups in person (.com,moslab etc.. not COTK yet) and they do not sound like the Moog.

Now those other brands do make great modulars at great prices, especially .com Roger really has opened up the world of larger systems to a lot more users. Amazing value for the Portable 22. On the otherhand if you want that Moog modular sound you have to bite the bullet and get the 15.

Now The Minimoog D vs Moog modular The do not sound the same, but it was obviously much easier to carry around and have it placed in the studio for the "Synthesizer sound"

I really hope one day Moog decides to start selling individual module
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

They should do a semi-modular hardware Animoog. Sort of like a Synthi but with a screen in the middle & jacks all around, encased in a suitcase enclosure. It would be glorious
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Addict
Here's mine - this photo was a couple of years ago. It's slightly different now - but not much...

Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-modular_photo.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noddyspuncture View Post
Here's mine - this photo was a couple of years ago. It's slightly different now - but not much...

Wow thats a crazy setup, looks like even a Minimoog merged with that Modular.
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Wow thats a crazy setup, looks like even a Minimoog merged with that Modular.
Indeed...
Old 17th November 2017
I use to own a model 15, I bought it off some guy in the mid 1980s. I ended up selling it in the mid 1990s. Here's a couple of not so great photos of it in my studio around 1988:
Attached Thumbnails
Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-mystudi1988.jpg   Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-20studio1988.jpg  
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
I use to own a model 15, I bought it off some guy in the mid 1980s. I ended up selling it in the mid 1990s. Here's a couple of not so great photos of it in my studio around 1988:
That is a glorious collection of gear. Got any music to share that you made during that time period?
Old 17th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That is a glorious collection of gear. Got any music to share that you made during that time period?
https://forcednostalgia.bandcamp.com...-of-arrival-lp

No synths though in this piece
Old 29th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
just wondering. since moog does not sell separate modules, how did you build this great looking synth?
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
Music
Thank you, sir. That made my pee-pee hard. Especially the magic you did with Mr. Roach.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

I’m using Voyager RME with vx 351 and vx352 if that counts.
Wouldn’t mind a System 55 or similar.
Old 6th December 2017
DSC
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostromo2 View Post
just wondering. since moog does not sell separate modules, how did you build this great looking synth?
It's kinda what I do. I build custom stuff for people, including myself. My website is here: Million Machine March | More Marching Machines!
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Here is my current setup ... will be sliming down. There was a time that I was buying anything Moog Modular I could find ... currently own a iip (1969), iiic (1972, sort of a cross over to a System 55 as it has 921 OSC (serial #1 for the (921a, 921b, 921), System 55 (1975), a cab from 1967, a small system with random one of a kind RA Moog prototypes.
Attached Thumbnails
Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-img_2394.jpg   Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-img_2395.jpg   Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-img_2396.jpg   Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-img_2397.jpg   Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-img_2398.jpg  

Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-img_2393.jpg   Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-img_2392.jpg  
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

here's a pic of the 70s vintage Moog 55 we fully restored for use at The Synth Sanctuary recording studio in NYC. There's also a big early prototype system and more.

We also buy, restore and sell vintage Moogs and have fully restored vintage System 12, System 15, 1C, expanded 1P and more in inventory.

mini
Attached Thumbnails
Any Moog modular owners? New and old?-studio-14.jpg  
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime123 View Post
here's a pic of the 70s vintage Moog 55 we fully restored for use at The Synth Sanctuary recording studio in NYC. There's also a big early prototype system and more.

We also buy, restore and sell vintage Moogs and have fully restored vintage System 12, System 15, 1C, expanded 1P and more in inventory.

mini
any pics of the prototype system??? would love to see those ...
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesound View Post
any pics of the prototype system??? would love to see those ...
not at the moment. the main differences are the width of the cabinets (they were narrower) and the insides of the modules (hand wired). plus the bottom of the slanted cabinets were prototype-ish, as can be seen here:
http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/defau...ithRibbion.jpg

mini

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search