The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rossum Assimil8or - Is it just vaporware at this point?
Old 25th October 2017
Rossum Assimil8or - Is it just vaporware at this point?

I just took it off my wishlist. I'd love one, but we haven't heard anything about this in ages, and to my knowledge, there isn't even a working prototype out there. Plus if it ever does come out, it's got some pretty stiff competition against the Bitbox. Anybody else just kinda lost hope for this monster to see the light of day?
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

I just took it off my wishlist. I'd love one, but we haven't heard anything about this in ages, and to my knowledge, there isn't even a working prototype out there. Plus if it ever does come out, it's got some pretty stiff competition against the Bitbox. Anybody else just kinda lost hope for this monster to see the light of day?
I gave up and just got an ER-301 instead and am so happy I did. That thing has far exceeded any expectation I had and is way more than just a sampler / sample player.
Old 25th October 2017
I still believe. They had a working prototype at the Superbooth this spring.
I didn't hear the magic of PD synthesis yet, I want to use that thing as a super wavetable PD type thing, not just some simple drumsampler. for that I'll compare it against the wavetable sampling Synthbox module. the Rossum has way more channels though..

ER-301 seems like a very cool swiss army knife processor.
Bitbox is a very practical sample player, high quality as well. I have considered, because it's so open. But that's why I bought the MPC1000 for in the first place.
Old 25th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
They had a working prototype at the Superbooth this spring.
You know what's funny is I vaguely remember you saying that before, but apparently my old brain dumped it out to make room for more hentai. My bad!
Old 25th October 2017
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

I ponder what he wants to achieve with this module. Its not going to change the world like samplers did in the 80's.. and if it was for the money, he just needed to make a 1200 clone...

The 1010 bitbox is the more interesting concept to me when it comes to 24bit sampling.
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

I expect it will likely see release a few months after NAMM in January, and I'm curious to see what it brings. At the moment I'm not considering it to be a realistic option tho, and have my sights set on an ER-301 instead. Happy to be proven wrong and get this instead if it actually pans out.
Old 26th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I ponder what he wants to achieve with this module. Its not going to change the world like samplers did in the 80's.. and if it was for the money, he just needed to make a 1200 clone...
A 2017 version of the SP-1200 would be very welcome.
the thing about the Assimil8or is the phase distortion capabillity using samples.
that is an entirely new thing, and could potentially give us new sounds. (or maybe not we'll see, won't we?)
also, I dare say, this could be the ultimate sampler engine module.
I would like to cut and edit samples in the DAW, because of the tiny screen, something not needed with the ER-301.
Old 26th October 2017
I've got it propped up in my mind as being an easier to use version of an ESI sampler with eight monophonic parts instead of huge polyphony, but to be able to make my own sample-based instruments and stick it in the rack makes my willy excited.
Old 23rd November 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

I‘ve got a bitbox now. No need to wait anymore.
Old 25th November 2017
Deleted User
of course it will appear , it will be amazing
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

I don't mind if it is vaporware as to be honest non of the Rossum offerings have caught my imagination.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Its interesting with these old school developers. Like they cant let go*. Instead of cashing in on what people want, they try to realize their 90's dreams.

The bitbox looks like a more cool and fun thingy to play with. though it might be not as powerful. But who cares about power if it aint accessable or available?

*I edited this part, so people get less confused with its meaning. For the old and confusing sentence look up some of the quotes below.
Old 26th November 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Its interesting with these old school developers. Like they cant adapt to the new time. Instead of cashing in on what people want, they try to realize their 90's dreams.

The bitbox looks like a more cool and fun thingy to play with. though it might be not as powerful. But who cares about power if it aint accessable or available?
thats bull****e as the bloke behind it has the right firstly to do what the fk he likes and if you see that as ' non adaption ' then thats your own myopic point of view , how is he not adapting g and to what ? whay you want ? were you consulted ? some humans have enough integrity not to cash in and instead follow their unique imagination , not all humans are sell outs or motivated entirely by money.

not entirety sure why this thread has so many bull****e attacks on a bloke simply doing what he wants to and taking his time to get the product right ?
Old 27th November 2017
Quote:
nice! connect a random generator, attenuate it a bit, and you have a round-robin function. or just velocity levels adressing different samples.
BTW, the menus on this should be not too deep, or have it connect to an app to program it. That's a tiny screen.
Old 28th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsbosney View Post
thats bull****e as the bloke behind it has the right firstly to do what the fk he likes and if you see that as ' non adaption ' then thats your own myopic point of view , how is he not adapting g and to what ? whay you want ? were you consulted ? some humans have enough integrity not to cash in and instead follow their unique imagination , not all humans are sell outs or motivated entirely by money.

not entirety sure why this thread has so many bull****e attacks on a bloke simply doing what he wants to and taking his time to get the product right ?
Yea your right. He can do whta he wants, and its just my point of view.

What he doesnt adapt to is imo what the market seems to want. SP1200 on steroids...

Calling it sell out when customer wishes are in focus of a manufacturer is not my point of view. I favour manufacturers who are in close relation to their user base, supoorting them in making their vision true.

However, its Rossums right to do what he wants of course. And its mine to publish my opinion about it.
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea your right. He can do whta he wants, and its just my point of view.

What he doesnt adapt to is imo what the market seems to want. SP1200 on steroids...

Calling it sell out when customer wishes are in focus of a manufacturer is not my point of view. I favour manufacturers who are in close relation to their user base, supoorting them in making their vision true.

However, its Rossums right to do what he wants of course. And its mine to publish my opinion about it.
Met him twice at small Synth meets out here, I think he's doing a good job of getting out there and listening to people. Also, are you sure people want an SP1200? That's was such a simple machine and easy to re-create with what's already out there in the euro world. When you consider the whole product line, I think he's try to re-create a patchable and more accessible Emulator IV; Assimil8tor, Evolution, Morpheus, Control Forge.
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Theres never been Anything quite as robust as the Assimil8or. If you doubt me, you either have little experience with samplers or you havent looked close enough at the Assimil8or. To me, Dave is KILLING the game with this one, thinking way ahead. I see no retro-dated action on this piece.
Old 4th December 2017
Calling the Assimil8or dated as a concept seems silly to me. The very concept of a sampler still hasn't been explored fully. Yes, he's basing this on ESI/eIV ideas, but those are still way more advanced in features and capabilities than many softsamplers.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Calling the Assimil8or dated as a concept seems silly to me. The very concept of a sampler still hasn't been explored fully. Yes, he's basing this on ESI/eIV ideas, but those are still way more advanced in features and capabilities than many softsamplers.
Its not what i said, nor what meant to say, tho.

My point was: Its interesting, not easy to comprehend, kind of adorable how these old school developers are chasing their dreams from the 80s/90s.

I've had a nice chat with him at Superbooth this year. Thats what he wants to do. Finish his ideas from back then when CPUs were still too slow and controls too expensive.
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Maniac
YouTube
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Awesome! Looks like just the sampler many of us were hoping for. Thanks for sharing!
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hell yes. I'm so excited about this thing! I'm hoping to add it to my rack by summer. Looks like so much more fun compared to my S5000 that I never use.
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh snap, it’s alive! Now comes the hard choice between this and the ER-301.
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Instead of cashing in on what people want
cause cashing in on what people want is the only useful thing in life
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
cause cashing in on what people want is the only useful thing in life
Of course it is not.

I did say: It is interesting to me, that them old school guys still try to make their dreams come true, instead of cashing in on what people want.

And isnt it interesting indeed, how perspective seems to change over time.

One thing in life seems to be certain tho. Some GSers always read what they want into any given post, as long as they can coax a smart ass comment from it.
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Addict

i will pair these with a Percussa SSP that's on it's way....
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

So this is HAPPENING!
USA price is $899.00. Available in March.

anyone know what's the sample length?
Old 26th January 2018
oh yeah!

Don't know the memory size.

Production model front plate (slightly different) vvvvv
Attached Thumbnails
Rossum Assimil8or - Is it just vaporware at this point?-assimil8or_534.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search