The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rossum Assimil8or - Is it just vaporware at this point?
Old 22nd August 2018
This thing rocks
Old 22nd August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
This thing rocks
When the hell did you become a Eurovert?
Old 22nd August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
When the hell did you become a Eurovert?
I didn’t yet. But I’ve given up on the mainstream makers ever producing a worthy sampler again.
And the more I think of a modular sampler the more I wake up in a puddle.
Yes I realize it could mean 16 e.g.s and LFOs etc. but I can build my own stuff to offset the costs.
And until that’s built up I could employ a couple Midi/CV converters to that end.

Also I had some notions on expanding my patchable analog synths too.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Addict

paired with a good MIDI->CV convertor (or/and a ribbon controller!) this feels like a real instrument
you can play it, sequence it, manipulate it - all at the same time
in pristine audio Q, or drop sample behavior if you want/need
instant bonding
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Addict

Rossum-Electro Assimil8tor playing 12bit (what's in a name) SP-12 samples
1 of the outs goes through a EMU E-Synt Ultra with RFX for some real time FX
(i'm controling/modulating parameters of the RFX with Q-links on a MPC)
poly (pad) pressure controls pitch

Last edited by Reptil; 7th November 2018 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: ;-)
Old 7th November 2018
I like those textures. This module sounds very high-end to my ears, very low noisefloor.
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Nut

The Assimil8or sounds awesome. It is very punchy bright and clean no matter how extreme the modulations become. Dave Rossum knows exactly what he is doing.

I recently made an entire track using the Assimil8or and an Eloquencer, check it out and you'll get a good idea of what the mostly unprocessed sound is like.

ASS(Imil8or)DUB by Chauz Manual | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 27th April 2019
Everybody still happy with their Assimil8or ?
I know it lacks timestretching and it is not ment as a looping machine but I wonder how it deals with making smooth loops out of your own samples and loopsamples from the ‘commercial’ parties out there?
Old 29th April 2019
Anybody try this thing with single-cycle waveforms yet?
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Anybody try this thing with single-cycle waveforms yet?
yes. it works great. i've used a bunch of the waveforms from the galbanum waveforms for alchemy etc.

sounds awesome especially when you do phasemod between two channels. really fun.
Old 26th June 2019
So, everyone still in love with their Assimil8ors?

This or the ER-301... though choice :D
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Addict

more & more ; i use it as a sample enhancer ; set sample interpolation to 87% (original EMU sp12/00 algoritm), set bit depth to 12bits, sample, pitch +24, play/trigger, re-sample and assign to next channel, pitch -24 : better than VSTs
the best is you need to setup the channels just one time : all these settings are stored in the channel, so every new sample uses these settings
i also do alot of vintage drum machine re-use : look for Linn LM1/2, DMX, Drumulator samples, re-set the frequency to original (26Khz for this machine, 32 for that one etc) and then use the Assimilator as an Emulator of those vintage machines : sounds really dope/punchy
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
So, everyone still in love with their Assimil8ors?

This or the ER-301... though choice :D
As a 301 owner, while there is some overlap because they both can deal with samples in deep and advanced ways...the 301 is a Sound Computer. It’s a blank slate. While I’ve not used the Assimil8or I’ve looked at it a bunch since it was announced. I don’t think there’s anything the Assimil8or can do that the 301 can’t, and the 301 can do quite a bit more. But again, it’s a blank slate, and that means that anything you want to do with it you will need to program from the ground up-it’s basically a digital modular within your modular system. That may or not be better for you than a purpose built device. I’ve got no intentions of parting with my 301, but I have considered getting a BitBox or Assimil8or at times since getting it for the sake of having a ready to go heavy duty sample module in those times when I want to just get on with it.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Definitely something I'm gonna buy if I'm there money-wise, sounds superb
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Nut

Ive had the Assimil8r for a while now and constantly getting surprised by all the wild sounds this thing makes. Lately I have been pitching down samples of chords about 3-4 octaves, the pitch shifting introduces some really cool digital artifacts that make a completely new sound and atmosphere. Im planning on exploring more complex sounds and automating the anti aliasing for even more interesting textures. Others have definitely mentioned this effect before but I recorded an example for those who are interested

The rhythmic dark washing ghost like formant noises at the start of each bar is a chord or stab sampled pitched way down and panned L/R on 8ths notes as it decays.
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Nut

Can someone tell me if the Assimil8or can do Pitch Scaling?
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Addict

define pitch scaling please
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
define pitch scaling please
The ability to change the pitch of a sample without affecting the speed of a sample.
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Nut

firmware 2.01 available as of yesterday.

http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/assimil8or/
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Hill View Post
The ability to change the pitch of a sample without affecting the speed of a sample.
that has never been the goal/scope of the Assimil8tor and confirmed (by Rossum) that it will never happen
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
that has never been the goal/scope of the Assimil8tor and confirmed (by Rossum) that it will never happen
Is that a significant goal/scope? It seems like it would be one small option in a sea of options. However I don’t understand how samplers are designed so maybe that is a big deal to implement.

Are there any euro samplers that do this? I was told the Bitbox doesn’t do pitch-scaling either.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Addict

please see here for an overview
https://doudoroff.com/samplers/
i know the ER301 can do it
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Hill View Post
Are there any euro samplers that do this? I was told the Bitbox doesn’t do pitch-scaling either.
The Qu-Bit Nebulae can do it. Pitch and tempo are separate, but it achieves it through granular magic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search