The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
General Chit Chat Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th October 2017
Lives for gear

General Chit Chat

I wanted to ask your advice on daisy chaining power bus supplies. I have 2 rows using Uzeus powered by a Tip Top boost 3A power brick. This is rated as 1033 mA +12V , 650 mA -12V, 45 mA 5V on modular grid and UZeus is rated at 2000mA +12V,
500mA -12V, 170mA at +5V. So I have about 1000mA on +12v and +5v power left, and 1.3A from my power brick.

So I wanted to add a third row that would be portable for TV armchair noodling that I could also daisy chain with the 2 tier rack. I see my options as:

1) Get another Uzeus and use a splitter cable - I think this would work.
2) 4ms Power 30 daisy chained to uZeus - I think in theory this should work.

Does it matter?

Power 30
+12V @ 1.5A
-12V @ 750mA
+5V @ 500mA

uZeus
2000mA at +12V
500mA at -12V
170mA at +5V
Attached Thumbnails
General Chit Chat-rack.jpg  
Old 13th October 2017
Lives for gear

With my uZeuses, I've got each one powering three rows, but I can get four or five rows in before it starts getting too hot to handle. I'd say get some more power cables and daisy chain off of what you've got first. As long as you're not giving all of your juice to a power hog or two (I'm looking square at you, Aira), you should be fine. What does your Modular Grid say as far as how much power you're pulling?
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
With my uZeuses, I've got each one powering three rows, but I can get four or five rows in before it starts getting too hot to handle. I'd say get some more power cables and daisy chain off of what you've got first. As long as you're not giving all of your juice to a power hog or two (I'm looking square at you, Aira), you should be fine. What does your Modular Grid say as far as how much power you're pulling?
You missed the point of my question and maybe I wasn't clear enough. I want one rack I can connect in and also take out to be more portable a 60-84hp. But I don't want to have to use two different power brick/cables when they are connected and want to daisy chain either two Uzeus together - I expect I'll go down this route or I also looked at 4ms Power 30, a bit more expensive but actually has an additional jack for daisy chaining.

Like this and connect two Uzeus to one power supply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JacobsParts...splitter+cable
Old 14th October 2017
I don't find the uZeus to be that solid a power supply anyway.
Personally I would buy better power and dedicate it to the number of rows it is specced for.
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I don't find the uZeus to be that solid a power supply anyway.
Personally I would buy better power and dedicate it to the number of rows it is specced for.
What's a better power supply? Is 4ms better?
Old 14th October 2017
Well I usually go Doepfer. Koma has a brand new supply just released.
I also have Erica Synths case and power in my set up.
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

If I’m not mistaken, 4ms row power is designed to do what you want. I believe it has a pass-through of sorts.
Old 14th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Well I usually go Doepfer. Koma has a brand new supply just released.
I also have Erica Synths case and power in my set up.
Yeah I need a power supply for an aux case (just for qmi2 and another midi-cv module that stay in the studio) and after a few different PSU's I'm nervous about getting anything other than a doepfer lol. Probably an overreaction but a safe one anyway...
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yeah I need a power supply for an aux case (just for qmi2 and another midi-cv module that stay in the studio) and after a few different PSU's I'm nervous about getting anything other than a doepfer lol. Probably an overreaction but a safe one anyway...
For me, "Synthrotek" and "power" in the same sentence is a dirty combination. I couldn't believe just how worthless Super Power was.
Old 15th October 2017
Quote:
For me, "Synthrotek" and "power" in the same sentence is a dirty combination. I couldn't believe just how worthless Super Power was.
Yeah my 7u Synthrotek did not have enough power for a full case of digital modules. And their midi module never ever worked right for me. Super nice guys down at the store but I've had bad luck with the products.
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
You missed the point of my question and maybe I wasn't clear enough. I want one rack I can connect in and also take out to be more portable a 60-84hp. But I don't want to have to use two different power brick/cables when they are connected and want to daisy chain either two Uzeus together - I expect I'll go down this route or I also looked at 4ms Power 30, a bit more expensive but actually has an additional jack for daisy chaining.

Like this and connect two Uzeus to one power supply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JacobsParts...splitter+cable
You want two cases running off the same plug?
Old 17th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
You can never be too safe when it comes to power ... IMHO.
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

I've had a couple different versions of the uZeus and a couple different versions of Synthrotek supplies and had reliability problems with the early versions (some issues could have been my fault in all fairness, but I'm not sure) and varying degrees of noise issues with all of them.

I have 4MS Row Power supplies in my two active eurorack cases now and so far I've had zero problems and they also seem to prevent/block/filter noise from noisy modules and devices?

4ms Row Power 30

4ms Row Power

And they are perfectly designed for what you want to do, justjools.

It seemed like a good idea to cover any unused sockets on the row power modules so I found these little plugs. They were a little loose so I put a short piece of heat shrink tubing around them for a snugger fit.
https://www.vpi.us/power-covers/power-cover-dcf-956#/
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I've had a couple different versions of the uZeus and a couple different versions of Synthrotek supplies and had reliability problems with the early versions (some issues could have been my fault in all fairness, but I'm not sure) and varying degrees of noise issues with all of them.

I have 4MS Row Power supplies in my two active eurorack cases now and so far I've had zero problems and they also seem to prevent/block/filter noise from noisy modules and devices?

4ms Row Power 30

4ms Row Power

And they are perfectly designed for what you want to do, justjools.

It seemed like a good idea to cover any unused sockets on the row power modules so I found these little plugs. They were a little loose so I put a short piece of heat shrink tubing around them for a snugger fit.
https://www.vpi.us/power-covers/power-cover-dcf-956#/
Would a Power 40 run a uZeus then? I expect the Power 30 wouldn't do it, and is designed to be run of the 40.
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Would a Power 40 run a uZeus then? I expect the Power 30 wouldn't do it, and is designed to be run of the 40.
If I understand what you are asking, it's not a question of what the the Row Power modules can handle since, as far as I can tell, the two jacks on the module are simple paralleled to each other, so it is just the capacity of the power brick you need to worry about.

Keep in mind the TipTop and 4ms modules us slightly different sized jacks, (2.5mm barrel and 2.1mm barrel respectively) so it would be best to have a custom cable made to jumper from a Row Power to a uZeus, although a 2.1 barrel might work OK in a uZeus and just be a little loose. It would be nicer to just use two Row Powers instead though.
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

Old 21st October 2017
Band practice...I'll share some sounds soon.

Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wait a sec... People use these things... To make music???

Last edited by Reptil; 10th November 2017 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: trimmed a bit of fat
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Looks so great. Exactly what I'd like to do, except I'd have to play the rack and guitar at the same time. It's great to see modular in a band context! With live drums and guitar must sound great. Look forward to the sounds

Last edited by Reptil; 10th November 2017 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: pls don't quote the whole post? :-)
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Don't know where else to post this.

I miss you guys!
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post

I miss you guys!
Right? I didn't want to say this after all the begging and pleading for a new forum, but it feels like the band broke up! I'm not complaining because now everything is so much easier to find and more organized than the one giant thread, plus posts aren't so easily overlooked, but it felt like we had our own private social club in that thread. I miss the apartment, but ultimately I'm glad for the mansion we got.
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Agreed
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right? I didn't want to say this after all the begging and pleading for a new forum, but it feels like the band broke up! I'm not complaining because now everything is so much easier to find and more organized than the one giant thread, plus posts aren't so easily overlooked, but it felt like we had our own private social club in that thread. I miss the apartment, but ultimately I'm glad for the mansion we got.
Well, I'll come and visit , I like admiring and reading about your modulars anyway.

EDIT. I wonder if this would have worked a little bit better as a Hardware and Modular section afterall? For keeping the clan together I mean. Oh well, its good to have the modular section, and seems to be doing great.
Old 26th October 2017
Quote:
Well, I'll come and visit , I like admiring and reading about your modulars anyway.

EDIT. I wonder if this would have worked a little bit better as a Hardware and Modular section afterall? For keeping the clan together I mean. Oh well, its good to have the modular section, and seems to be doing great.
Putting hardware separate from software is a little too divisive and would invite even more controversy in the end I think. Modular is different (not better or worst of course) enough from both (even though it is both) that it merits distinction IMO.

It has been really healthy for me to have this place with like-minded folks. We are free to discuss our real and imagined issues here without being constantly trashed for being different. I rarely visit the EM homepage now, and when I do I generally see a bunch of stuff I can't relate to anyway. But there's a few folks (you are one for sure) that I miss chatting with. You can always hang out with us here anytime, but beware, continued exposure could result in eventual purchases...
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I rarely visit the EM homepage now, and when I do I generally see a bunch of stuff I can't relate to anyway. But there's a few folks (you are one for sure) that I miss chatting with. You can always hang out with us here anytime, but beware, continued exposure could result in eventual purchases...
Thanks Sean The EM forum is not same without you and Derp.
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I miss you guys!
I feel kinda responsible, because I kinda put out the last impassioned plea for a modular subforum, which I just intended as a child board to the main EM forum, but here we are. Regardless, I'm not abandoning the EM forum because my interests are more than just modular, even if the majority of my GAS is for modular these days...still dying for a V-Synth, Yamaha Montage, Waldorf Quantum, etc. Have a SH-01A arriving this week (ignore the patch points). Never gonna fall out of love with my Monomachine or Kawai XD-5. You'll see me around
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
which I just intended as a child board to the main EM forum
That's what I had been thinking was going to happen as well. Kind of like how So Many Guitars used to be a subforum of So Much Gear. I can see why that one got pulled out from under So Much Gear, but Modular on the other hand has a direct correlation with EMI&EMP. ...unless some of you guys are making bluegrass with your modulars and I didn't know about it.
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I feel kinda responsible, because I kinda put out the last impassioned plea for a modular subforum, which I just intended as a child board to the main EM forum, but here we are. Regardless, I'm not abandoning the EM forum because my interests are more than just modular, even if the majority of my GAS is for modular these days...still dying for a V-Synth, Yamaha Montage, Waldorf Quantum, etc. Have a SH-01A arriving this week (ignore the patch points). Never gonna fall out of love with my Monomachine or Kawai XD-5. You'll see me around
I'm glad Accent, I really appreciate your posts. Congrats on the SH-01A!

I'll be sure to drop in too, I don't want to lose touch with friends
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm glad Accent, I really appreciate your posts. Congrats on the SH-01A!

I'll be sure to drop in too, I don't want to lose touch with friends
Awww, likewise! And thanks, super excited to get the SH-01A in. Despite having a buttload of monosynths already, none of them quite nail that 101 sound. Actually planning to try doing some covers once I get it, which I never do.

And yeah, don't be a stranger 'round these parts! Tho you might find yourself with 12U of modular if you're not careful
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search