The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
General Chit Chat
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A Morphagene + Qpas + XPan are on my short list.

Maybe even a QMMG if I'm feeling spunky...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It would be fun to process things like the Volca FM through the QPAS
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Regarding monitors and perception of frequency balance: In a proper treated room (with sufficient dimensions) even cheap monitors can sound decent and usable.
Old story but true.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Just heard Common Ground run by Koma Elektronik in Berlin has closed down recently. It was a shop/workshop/meetup place which had relaxed vibe with friendly staff. There was work benches set up on the shop floor for diy kits bought instore and they ran regular workshops in the back exploring sound design and the like. Where I live in Edinburgh there isn’t a single synth shop let alone somewhere with a community spirit like that which always made a trip over to Berlin feel special. I hope koma’s not in too much trouble and are just cutting back due to current climate as they have put out some inovating products.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
Regarding monitors and perception of frequency balance: In a proper treated room (with sufficient dimensions) even cheap monitors can sound decent and usable.
Old story but true.
The problem is lots of non professional people work in less than ideal surroundings. I’ve got a space set up in a second living area which is sufficient for jamming and listening to music but when it comes to critical work it's got to be headphones unfortunately. At the moment I use a fairly decent Hifi amp and passive Speaker combo which fills the room letting me use it for different applications (at the moment my boys turned it into a home school class room). I have hummed and houghd over getting some active monitors many times in order to up my game but do worry that I’ll stop enjoying music due to the positioning and lack of treatment I have.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

can't stop thinking of these two albums whilst messing with this pedal

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamac View Post
The problem is lots of non professional people work in less than ideal surroundings. I’ve got a space set up in a second living area which is sufficient for jamming and listening to music but when it comes to critical work it's got to be headphones unfortunately. At the moment I use a fairly decent Hifi amp and passive Speaker combo which fills the room letting me use it for different applications (at the moment my boys turned it into a home school class room). I have hummed and houghd over getting some active monitors many times in order to up my game but do worry that I’ll stop enjoying music due to the positioning and lack of treatment I have.
I am in the same camp since I had to move from my last studio room.
I have cheap Fluid monitors in my room at home but most of the time I work with headphones unfortunately.
My room at home is tiny and a cube, it doesn't make sense to install any absorbers there because it wouldn't do anything beneficial...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
I am in the same camp since I had to move from my last studio room.
I have cheap Fluid monitors in my room at home but most of the time I work with headphones unfortunately.
My room at home is tiny and a cube, it doesn't make sense to install any absorbers there because it wouldn't do anything beneficial...
All this talk reminds me that I have a profiling EQ sitting around that I should dig up for my system. Like most of you, there's no way I can put my system in a room with decent treating, the room profiling helps a bit though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

the thing is, you can get a lot donee with some basic acoustic panels. it won't get rid of bass issues but it will clean up the top end, you won't get so much smearing and you'll be able to hear detail and reverb a lot better. i actually had success in setting a friend of mine in a corner of the room. literally in the corner. filled the whole corner with acoustic stuff (the cheapo foam "bass traps") and added some more panels on each side. as long as he kept the volume reasonable it didn't sound so bad. no issues with the early reflections as those were either absorbed or bounced way behind him. depends on the size of the room how quickly it will get excited with bass and for that there is no solution except headphones. but it's really worth putting a couple hundred bucks in some basic panels. even building some basic frames yourself and getting thick 10cm acoustic foam in them will do a lot of good for the top end. but please don't put fiberglass in breathable fabric in a small room.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

My missus has never once questioned the money thats been ploughed into my noisy hobby, she’s sat through endless drones and hours of squelchy 8 bar loops but whenever I mention putting up acoustic treatment the mood changes instantly. I just don’t understand it as I think it can look good in certain circumstances.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamac View Post
My missus has never once questioned the money thats been ploughed into my noisy hobby, she’s sat through endless drones and hours of squelchy 8 bar loops but whenever I mention putting up acoustic treatment the mood changes instantly. I just don’t understand it as I think it can look good in certain circumstances.
Well, with all this talk, I picked up a simple 1u mount that I can screw to the underside of the DJ table my modular is on. Like I said, I've had a Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496 sitting around that I haven't used for a couple of years along with a profiling mic. Time to fire up REW again.

I keep my modular is in my "dining room" in the upstairs part of the house so room treatment isn't going to happen. It's located there so engagement with the system can be passive, I can spend anywhere from 5 minutes tweaking a patch on the way to the kitchen, or I can jam all day (if my daughter is out of the house). All my other gear is in my studio room downstairs and requires active engagement, thus it unfortunately rarely gets used. That's also why I spurlged on Genelec 8020's for the modular, small enough to fit within the limited space I've given myself for my system, but loud enough to fill the room (or the whole house).

General Chit Chat-l-20.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Well, with all this talk, I picked up a simple 1u mount that I can screw to the underside of the DJ table my modular is on. Like I said, I've had a Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496 sitting around that I haven't used for a couple of years along with a profiling mic. Time to fire up REW again.

I keep my modular is in my "dining room" in the upstairs part of the house so room treatment isn't going to happen. It's located there so engagement with the system can be passive, I can spend anywhere from 5 minutes tweaking a patch on the way to the kitchen, or I can jam all day (if my daughter is out of the house). All my other gear is in my studio room downstairs and requires active engagement, thus it unfortunately rarely gets used. That's also why I spurlged on Genelec 8020's for the modular, small enough to fit within the limited space I've given myself for my system, but loud enough to fill the room (or the whole house).

You've got that setup dialed in.

Looking so good, all that.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

The more I add Doepfer modules to my rig the more I really dig the gray/silver aesthetic with bright colorful patch cables.
I bought a silver Wasp filter, and at first I was bummed because I really wanted one of the black and yellow ones, but I'm kinda in to the uniformity of their modules now. They look really smart next to each other with random colors of cable connecting them.
I kinda wish all my modules looked like that now.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Installed the DEQ2496 last night and did some measurements with REW. The sub was way out of control so that’s been fixed. Surprisingly, everything above 200Hz was extremely flat, +-1db. Gotta love Genelec. I sort miss making the whole house vibrate though. .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search