The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
General Chit Chat
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Guru

I love hypocrisy: I was just thinking about how I'd like to ditch my Blue Lantern Rings clone and get the legit Mutable version. You know, support the person that actually made the thing. Then I was thinking about how long since Clouds has been discontinued and I got curious. Quick check on Reverb, and you can get a Clouds clone for as little as $160. The cheapest legit Clouds is $340. So now I'm thinking about selling my Clouds, buying a clone with half the money, and farting into my hand so I can snort it with the rest of the money.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I love hypocrisy: I was just thinking about how I'd like to ditch my Blue Lantern Rings clone and get the legit Mutable version. You know, support the person that actually made the thing. Then I was thinking about how long since Clouds has been discontinued and I got curious. Quick check on Reverb, and you can get a Clouds clone for as little as $160. The cheapest legit Clouds is $340. So now I'm thinking about selling my Clouds, buying a clone with half the money, and farting into my hand so I can snort it with the rest of the money.
Preach it.

Earlier I was on about not making compromises and such, keeping ones eye on the prize, and not settling, while standing there having just finished wiggling my Boog. I had to check myself before I...

I will buy an actual MI Branches to support the maker. It's not much, but it's something.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
No advice probably, but anyway.....
I am planning a drumrack and have multiple small mixers like MI Shades in mind.
i have the shades, a-138, ma mix, ma dtm, stg mix, several of each actually.

the shades does mix, attenuate single chan, attenuvert and i think maybe even rectify single chan. this is a clean mixer. this one is very versatile but i use most as a buffered attenuator kinda. very versatile. intellijel has a similar module.

a-138 is also clean. 4-chan. sounds good imo. probably only does audio no cv mixing.

MA mix is clean. does what it says. very hifi. thin.

MA dtm does clean up to maybe 12-1 or so, then it starts getting more and more distorted. at 1-2 or so it starts compressing the waveform and rounding it off. This is also the starting point for intermodulation distortion between the channels. can be good or bad depending on what you like. but its clean up to 12 at least.

stg mix does what MA dtm does, but different physical circuit, and the ergononomics are much worse, almost impossible to operate when patched. I think it sounds just a little "better" than the MA variant.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
stg mix does what MA dtm does, but different physical circuit, and the ergononomics are much worse, almost impossible to operate when patched. I think it sounds just a little "better" than the MA variant.
It really is awful fully patched. STG should fix it. It's been that way for awhile.
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Guru

Just spotted this on MG:

https://www.electro-smith.com/eurora...edfull-diy-kit

$150, and you get a CEM3340. I know the 3340 is all over the place in Eurorack right now, but for only $30 more than the 2HP implementation, you get what looks like a bit more control. I wish this was around when I got the 2HP VCO's, I would have gotten this instead.
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
MA dtm does clean up to maybe 12-1 or so, then it starts getting more and more distorted. at 1-2 or so it starts compressing the waveform and rounding it off. This is also the starting point for intermodulation distortion between the channels. can be good or bad depending on what you like. but its clean up to 12 at least..
DTM behaves that way because Unity is at noon, right? So anything past noon starts to OD it.
Old 1st August 2019
Lives for gear

I never imagined the system 100 was so difficult... funny seeing Martyn Ware playing

Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm really feeling the Autodyne. The side chain works really well with the HPF and it gets really characterful once you push the gain. Much more so than a DTM which is also pretty great. It works especially well on a bass or sub mix where you don't need attack/decay. I do wish there was some speed control. For a drum compressor the settings are either going to work with how you want the transients or they won't and if they don't then there's really no way to change them other than just easing off the compression. I usually like to dial in a slow attack time on a drum bus compressor so the transient poke through but the trails die off quickly. I had trouble dialing in that type of thing on the Autodyne. But for synth lines it's gravy.
Thanks for that, definitely helps my decision.
Old 4th August 2019
Quote:
i have the shades, a-138, ma mix, ma dtm, stg mix, several of each actually.

the shades does mix, attenuate single chan, attenuvert and i think maybe even rectify single chan. this is a clean mixer. this one is very versatile but i use most as a buffered attenuator kinda. very versatile. intellijel has a similar module.

a-138 is also clean. 4-chan. sounds good imo. probably only does audio no cv mixing.

MA mix is clean. does what it says. very hifi. thin.

MA dtm does clean up to maybe 12-1 or so, then it starts getting more and more distorted. at 1-2 or so it starts compressing the waveform and rounding it off. This is also the starting point for intermodulation distortion between the channels. can be good or bad depending on what you like. but its clean up to 12 at least.

Thanks.
There is a new kid on the block...
6hp only.....There is a a second one which give you 5 extra inputs. Three mono and two stereo.

Old 5th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks.
There is a new kid on the block...
6hp only.....There is a a second one which give you 5 extra inputs. Three mono and two stereo.
Ooh, I love how tiny that is. It looks like it'd be a huge pain to edit with those miniknobs, but the space savings almost makes it worth it.
Old 8th August 2019
some nice techno at 2:29
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

i also have a rook! really good module.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Nevernind, I forgot for a second that there's an entire big thread for the DFAM, I'll ask my question there. Please stop by, though, if you have a DFAM or just want to help because I'm trying to sort out why it behaves a certain way.

Thanks.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Any of you all have a DFAM?

I'm trying to understand why it's behaving a certain way, and would love some assistance if possible.

I cannot seem to get the DFAM to (a) work like it normally does when using an external clock source via Advance / Clock Input (which works great), while (b) also using the Trigger Input to send it extra triggers occasionally for a fill...

I've read the DFAM manual and it seems as though this should work, but it doesn't, or not at all like I'm expecting.

I'll spare the rest unless someone with a DFAM wouldn't mind checking theirs and helping out.

Thanks in advance.
i have no idea.

i have always avoided moog stuff because they seemed cryptic to me. dont like that. i like to know exactly what stuff does by just looking at it. but thats just me.
Old 10th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I never imagined the system 100 was so difficult... funny seeing Martyn Ware playing

Thanks for the fun
LOL @ 3:28
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the fun
LOL @ 3:28
I used to want one of those vintage Rolands.

Then I watched that video.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Guru

That guy was HILARIOUS to watch.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Head

same
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Project X. Day 462.. I'm all alone now, having had to resort to cannibalism to make it this long. The days all bleed together now, in one neverending stream of disappointment and bewilderment. To date, all prior attempts to decode this alien technology have proven unsuccessful. Lately I have taken to staring at the mysterious machine for hours on end, hoping for anything from osmosis to divine intervention. Heretofore, no help has come. This lucky shirt and I are all that remain. Must. Be. Vigilant.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I used to want one of those vintage Rolands.

Then I watched that video.
I had a friend in the 90s who owned the 102 expander and the 104 sequencer. I think there were quite a few times when we'd spend ages trying to get a (useful) sound out of it. When we did it sounded very nice (The Roland plugin is authentic if you're into software).

I wrote a Visual Basic program based on the sequencer. Inspired by ReBirth I guess, I spent awhile making it look good. The timing was crap but it could save MIDI files I'd then load into Cubase. Sorry, reminisce mode off.
Old 13th August 2019
I wouldn't make any judgement based on that video.
You're looking at someone who barely understood synthesis back in the day, and probably hasn't touched a modular for 40 years.
Vintage Roland stuff is usually pretty intuitive.
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Hey, logic modules... Can you educate me. I understand or, and, if, else nand, nor from studying computers at school (is there a nif and nelse?, maybe that's just a bad smell

Is this all there is to logics modules. Was looking at this and wondering whether to try a Pico Logic, or do I already this kind of functionality with Maths, Ornament n Crime.

Old 22nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, logic modules... Can you educate me. I understand or, and, if, else nand, nor from studying computers at school (is there a nif and nelse?, maybe that's just a bad smell

Is this all there is to logics modules. Was looking at this and wondering whether to try a Pico Logic, or do I already this kind of functionality with Maths, Ornament n Crime.

@ 0:54 "Logic modules... boring to talk about, but if you just see what they do, I think you'll get it." Very Wittgensteinian

Last edited by Ossicle; 22nd August 2019 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 22nd August 2019
Gear Guru

I bought the Plog a while ago, but I still haven't had time to sit down and figure out how logic works and what it's doing. It's a neat waveform mutilator, though!
Old 22nd August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Pretty much. I'd steer clear of of the Pico Logic though ... it was too slow to work with most of my trigger sources (Mylar also mentions it in his video). I ended up with a Ladik module that's much more reliable. One of these days, I'll try some audio rate stuff with logic.
Old 23rd August 2019
Semi modular: Uli's K-2 (MS-20 clone) link
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I'll end up with the K-2 eventually. I'm just wondering what happened to the Bro One.
Old 23rd August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I didn't even know about this one... hoping it's thin enough to fit rack ears to!
Old 23rd August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'll end up with the K-2 eventually. I'm just wondering what happened to the Bro One.
Yes, waiting for the Bro One.
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Poly VCA

Hi, I got around to setting up poly with the mutant brain. Simple but very satisfying and enjoying it a lot. It takes up all of the channels of my Veils though and thought I should get a more dedicated VCA to sit alongside the waverforms where I have the Triatt. I looked at other Doepfer options A132-2, A132-4, A153-2 and then remembered the Quad poly vca. Do you think this would be the best option? I might also go for a quad adsr later. I should have thought about this before buying another Intellijel dual ADSR but I do like em

Having deliberated over this I'm going to take the plunge; the Doepfer poly vca seems the only and best option, unless someone tells me otherwise. I don't get the need for a poly VCF for chords though. It makes sense to me to have four independent filters for mono voices but for poly surely you just need to mix 3 voices for a chord and put it through one filter or do I have this wrong? Playing poly voices with filter envelopes that start at different times would need a poly VCF.

Also thinking of replacing the Octocontroller. It would be alright if the interface was twice as big as I can never read it and work out what it's doing. I thought I might just set it all to LFO's and forget about it but kind of defeats the purpose and there are better dedicated LFO's like Quadra, and I just don't use the arp's, loops or gates.

Attached Thumbnails
General Chit Chat-img_20190824_175507431.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search