The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
General Chit Chat
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
[...]

Primarily: it has Multiple Personality Syndrome at this point in time.

[...]

It's fine, for now, but it suffers from that Jack of All Trades, Master of None phenomenon.

[...]
I know that feeling.

When I imagine getting a bunch of modules in a short period of time like you did (and you got some pretty nasty ones in terms of understanding - muxlizer, ultra random, peg... ) I would need to spend a lot of time with it to fully know what everything can do for me and what not and to learn its quirks and how to adress things in a fluent way. edit: But I am by far not a master at understanding things quickly =)

My humble tipps for you: Give yourself some time and maybe some rather boring modules like multiples, attenuaters(-verters), offsets, polarizer, scaler and vcas.

With an used zlob Vnicursal (6x VCA) + Manhattan MVP (3x attenuverter/offset, 2x 2in-mixer or 1x 4in-mixer for CV/audio, 2x passive multiple, 2x buffered multipe) you get a lot of this "boring" stuff in just two modules and for not a lot of money. You can even patch a polarizer + offset yourself on the MVP.

Actually I enjoy rectifying, inverting and offsetting lfos
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
I dunno, I still cant get interested in MI stuff at all for some reason. I can't
really see myself using any of it, not even a new version of clouds. *shrugs
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
I dunno, I still cant get interested in MI stuff at all for some reason. I can't
Exact opposite, best designed modules that I have. If it weren’t for Mutable, I probably wouldn’t have gotten into modular. And the extras, you don’t have to use them, but they were a game changer when I was starting out with a small system.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not even Branches?
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Still here. Was in Tokyo. Bought a couple of Hikari. Even met him, a super nice guy and makes fantastic stuff.
That is cool. I've always been drawn to his Limiter modules because, frankly, the VU meter (and I need some Limiters anyway so why not have them look cool).

But I've not ordered one yet nor ever seen any of his gear in person. It is good to have a positive confirmation of the brand, and the guy.

Tokyo is a fun city/megalopolis.

Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I've sworn off buying new modules until I do something about my studio monitor situation. Unfortunately it's a lot harder to cough up that kind of cash than a couple hundo to feed the euro addiction. Not to mention the case is full and the thing I'm really GASing over now is the Matriarch. The Modular forum is still my first stop at GS. So I'm keeping up just not much to contribute ATM.
One thing I’ve definitely learned over the years is that you need to spend the $$$ on monitors and interface over the fun gear, because it doesn’t matter how great your $30k of modular is if you’re not running it through an adequate setup. It sucks to spend so much coin on something as “not fun” as monitors, interfaces etc. but it’s totally worth it...not gonna lie, I wept a little when I got new monitors a few years ago and could finally hear my expensive gear properly and not through substandard monitors that colored the sound and forced me to check every mix on multiple systems and in the car to even get an idea of how it really sounded. The Matriarch will be there later, but all your current gear will thank you for proper monitoring.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

It's also important to remember that worldclass studios in the 90s often used Genelecs that you can now catch used for $500/pr, powered, worldclass nearfields, proven, and inexpensive AF.

Why spend more than that, really? (And I love nice speakers in general, a reformed audiophile-ish sort myself, from hifi to mobile audio to live and studios, I love cool gear, but I think it's hard to argue a need for nearfields better than several of the last 20+yrs worth.

Speaker design and technology just doesn't change much. Countless old(er) speaker sound amazing and will keep doing so for many years to come.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Yeah the MI stuff just doesn't do it for me, very probably because they're almost synonymous with
Eurorack these days. I generally am not interested in stuff that 'everyone' is interested in, I tend
to seek the strange and unusual. *shrugs

Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff thats unusual in the Eurorack world, is mostly that way due to high cost
of ownership. :D
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is cool. I've always been drawn to his Limiter modules because, frankly, the VU meter (and I need some Limiters anyway so why not have them look cool).

But I've not ordered one yet nor ever seen any of his gear in person. It is good to have a positive confirmation of the brand, and the guy.

Tokyo is a fun city/megalopolis.
I got the Sine and Monos CV. Absolutely love'em, both. The thing I found out about Hikari is that they may not seem so cutting edge or exciting on paper, but the designs are very meticulously thought and musical, really made for musicians. Both of mine sound surprisingly warm and big, almost vintage, and have good punch. Most of the current web demo's don't do them justice IMO. I should post some of my recordings of the Monos.

This one gives a good impression of the Sine's tone:

Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
not gonna lie, I wept a little when I got new monitors a few years ago and could finally hear my expensive gear properly
I remember when I got my first set of monitors and was listening to different music through them trying to get used to them. I remember the first CD I put in was "Midian" by Cradle of Filth. ...and suddenly I could hear what everyone was complaining about.

I do think there's a little bit of voodoo involved when it comes to monitors, though. One of my favorite albums was mixed on a pair of Aiwa speakers. I think it's more about what you're used to listening through.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Re: Monitors - I remember moving from crappy PC speakers to my current KRK V8s almost 20 years ago and had that same aha! moment. Sadly one of them has developed a nasty buzzing sound and I'm well overdue for an upgrade. Thing is it's not just the cash but also finding the time and place to audition them and then hoping that the way they sound in a listening room translates to the way they sound in my studio.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you all for the comments and advice.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Lately I have been checking out the "best of" the interesting 4hp modules (that are only available as 4hp). Here is my list so far of the ones I intend to buy and check out in person (not all at once, just as I catch deals on them). Looking for firsthand feedback if you guys have any, to supplement what I got from MG and YouTube.

* LxD (dual LPG)
* Sinc Bucina (Resonant Filter)
* Viol Ruina (Distortion, LPF, Envelope Follower)
* Kith Ruina (analog tone stack/EQ/OD)
* DPLR (aka Doppler, mid-fi analog-ish Digital Delay/Chorus)
* Disting mk4 (swiss-army tool)
* FXDf (mostly for extracting triggers from audio)
* LRMSMSLR (mid side / stereo tool)
* a few Ladik modules (dual Probability, Audio to Trigger, etc)

Any other superstar modules in that tiny but useful 4hp size?
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Lately I have been checking out the "best of" the interesting 4hp modules (that are only available as 4hp). Here is my list so far of the ones I intend to buy and check out in person (not all at once, just as I catch deals on them). Looking for firsthand feedback if you guys have any, to supplement what I got from MG and YouTube.

* LxD (dual LPG)

Certainly the Disting's got the most bang for the buck. If it were me,
I'd probably get an SSF S.P.O. or A WMD Volt, maybe the ALM S.B.G or O/A/x2.
I like the vpme.de T43, LxD and Ladik Probability as well.

A divkid mutes or similar would be cool too...
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Cool suggestions, thanks.

I am also looking at solutions to help (re)route gates and triggers dynamically, for rhythmic variation, and for combining multiple trigger/gate sources in new and interesting ways, like mixing outputs from a Pithoprakta with outputs from a BSPs drum Sequencer with outputs from a Grids and on and on. Change which pattern actually goes to, say, the snare on my 626, all clocked...

As I understand it, in euroland, this requires Switches and notably Switch Matrices. The SSF one and its Gate/Trig Expander look cool and powerful and well suited for my goals. Anyone have this or something similar (formally the Sequential Switch Matrix, and the SSM Expand):

Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then you would probably have a bunch of outdated modules and be loathe to buy them again as current versions. Especially since the old ones wouldn’t be worth much if anything. No upgrade paths like there is with software.

i dont know if this is a joke of if you are serious. But IMO modules never get "outdated" if they were good 10 years ago then they are good today if they are still working.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone found 3.5mm patch cables longer than 60”? Could use a bit of slack trying to patch from the end of my modular to the end of my semi-modulars on the next table.
i think doepfer makes some.

Checkout schneiders and signalsounds.

Personally i needed long ones to go to my mixer, like 2m ones.
And i basically got headphone to 2 rca and 3,5mm to 6,35mm ones since those are available in long lengths. Also a "3,5mm headphone to headphone" adapter might work for shorter cables, to make a long one.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
One thing I’ve definitely learned over the years is that you need to spend the $$$ on monitors and interface over the fun gear, because it doesn’t matter how great your $30k of modular is if you’re not running it through an adequate setup. It sucks to spend so much coin on something as “not fun” as monitors, interfaces etc. but it’s totally worth it...not gonna lie, I wept a little when I got new monitors a few years ago and could finally hear my expensive gear properly and not through substandard monitors that colored the sound and forced me to check every mix on multiple systems and in the car to even get an idea of how it really sounded. The Matriarch will be there later, but all your current gear will thank you for proper monitoring.

This is gonna be a long ass post but its all relevant imo and you will probably learn something.

for me its always sound first. and it always has been. i mean you need bad ass speakers to even enjoy any music. it needs to sound good and realistic. otherwise everything will suck.

About 15 years ago i contracted head designer of the biggest speaker manufacturer in my country to design a good sub/sat system for my very need. they did this as a side job sometimes. we ended up on some prototype 6,5 kevlar woofers (2 in each box, 60 liters) and some alu domes, also protos. sealed boxes. d'appolito design.

Paired that with a dual 12 inch, 60liter box, in isobaric config. (it was not supposed to be iso originally, it was supposed to be 2, 120liter boxes.
completely awesome system and very sensitive/easy to drive.
dbx active crossover, and 1kw or so for the woofer (totally overkill for it).

then i built a sealed box with a peerless xls10 to save space, and i got the xls for free. also a prototype but with the mass production specs/params. with the same crossover and amp. and i kinda happened to melt the voice coil. and almost no one has actually managed to do this. but i have. i regard is as a badge of honor now yeah i actually fried an xls at home with just regular use.

Then the tweeters on my prototype "sats" died, or the glue between the surround and dome diaphragm died. and since they were prototypes there are no spares. nor replacement tweeters. and if i were to get other ones then i would have to redesign the whole filter. so the protos had to be put in storage until i want to redo them from scratch.

------------

so instead i got jbl 305s and built a truly truly good sub. i dont remember the brand name of the woofers but its now defunct. but like 5-6 years ago this was some of most most technologically advanced woofers on earth. they are aluminum and have enormous magnets. and they like very small closed boxes. and they have very very long linear xmax (this is the range where your woofer does not distort massively) , then we have unlinear xmax where it distorts. and finally xmech where the voice coil strikes the magnet and destroys the woofer. i think mine does +-30mm or so linear. and xmech is at about +-50mm or so no ****.

But what i noticed is one thing: firstly the jbls have built in limeters so even if you highpass them they will not play louder than in fullrange mode (kinda), there is some leeway though. but i basically cut all bass from the jbls and they should for all practical purposes be able to play like 110-120db above like 200hz. but they dont. since they have a limiter inside. a "dumb" one.

With the proto "sats" i could basically play as loud as i wanted or needed.
and now listen to this: the music got better and better the louder i played it in a linear fashion! It was a completely analog system and the actual woofers movement was the limiting factor of how loud i could play. it would distort to much pretty much. that was the limit. the physical limit. oh yeah and also melting voice coils in the sub.

But with the jbls (and a much MUCH better sub) music simply does not get better just because i play it louder. it just gets louder. I'm thinking the pwm/"digital" amps in the jbls are 100% responsible for this. this is sh1t technology except for woofers! thats it.

So i guess what i'm trying to say here avoid pwm/digital amps in your monitors (get class A/B ones). and avoid monitors with limiters. **** that ****, wtf is that **** anyway. limiters?? ity does not belong in speakers any way i can tell you that.

I'm probably gonna get a B&W regular "bookshelf" speakers to replace my jbls. and a regular 50 watt amp. it will sound better. and it will get better and better the louder you play.

and that concludes mekaniks rant about **** pwm speakers that you should avoid like the ****ing plague if i were you.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

* LxD (dual LPG)

MI Kinks gets a lot of use in my rig. The disting can do everything it does but it's much more immediate and can do all of its job at the same time - logic, s&h, wave rectifying.

There's a bunch of nice 4HP Egs. I have the Frequency Central System X ADSR and the ALM PipSlope which are pretty much in every patch. SSF and WMD both have 4HP compressors which I'm interested in but have never tried.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO there is no "best", never was and never will be. it just doesn't work that way with modular. its only different shades of 0-10. for you that is.

Whats best for me can be total crap for you. this is whay there are so many modules and makers.

What would be better for you would be this: you explore your modular and the music you want to make and you notice that you "need" something, it might be an lfo, might be an osc, might be an att, or mixer. and then you simply get one of those. in 4hp if you like

in my experience the best modules are never the smallest ones. you sinply dont have the space to work them unless they are a certain size. and if they are very small they become "set and forget". I'm very proud of my system since its 100% not set and forget. everything is easily adjustable. doepfer modules are very good for actual usability imo.
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
i dont know if this is a joke of if you are serious. But IMO modules never get "outdated" if they were good 10 years ago then they are good today if they are still working.
I guess thats true, I suppose I am still coming from the software mentality.
I just read that some modules like the MN Rene' had some issues with ver 1
touch sensitivity, that weren't really addressed until ver 2. Not to mention
the new features. That would bug me, though I can understand those
features might not appeal to everyone.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah with some modules features gets added on all the time but lets say with an analog osc? most modular stuff is actually analog with no firmware running.
but even with the digital ones, i dont think they get outdated just because they add new features in new revisions. all digital modules have bugs. and most users will never experiience any at all. I'm not gonna sell any of my modules just beacuse the manufacturer relese and updated version. since they all work as supposed to and then there is no reason.

i have the e352 and its very likely they will update the firmware for this like 10 times in the next 10 years. and i dont care. mine works and i have yet to dig 10% into its capablilities "for real", and i might never ever be able to "use" more than 20% of it. so why would i care if they release new stuff for it? i dont. there is so much icing on the cake these days its more icing than cake imo.

I think its better to learn to use what you have and stick to it. than updating/upgrading everything as soon as something new appears. and its not like i'm an old gear guy, i buy stuff all the time but whats good now is good in 10 years too imo. i buy to keep.
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Maniac

^ I agree, I won’t sell anything I buy, I won’t even buy used very likely. Unless it’s something I can’t get otherwise. Eventually, I will go mostly DIY whenever possible.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

* LxD (dual LPG)

You should add the Quantum Rainbow 2 to your list. You might be asking yourself “What’s the big deal about a noise module?”. I certainly wondered that before I decided to get one. Having many different flavors of noise at your disposal is really useful, not just for more obvious sound design things like making hats/snares/percussion, but also as a CV source. One of my favorite things recently is using it fed into the URA to drive my rig, instead of using sequencers. It’s one of those things you can really only do in the modular realm, and part of what makes it a more interesting format in my mind.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should add the Quantum Rainbow 2 to your list.
Done. Great tip. Thanks for that.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Bare with it and listen to the jam

Old 29th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
vid
Thats cool, interestingly, the Ataraxic Iteritas reminds me quite a lot of my Subcon Vampire.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm extra intrigued by any music that comes with a warning.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Jokes aside, that was fantastic. Thanks....
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quoting my own Switch Matrix post to add this comment I found on MW about how this WMD/SSF product above integrates with Rene 2 and Tempi, which is extra cool I think. Check it out:

Quote:
Worth noting that if you're using Rene2 and/or Tempi, then the WMD SSM is a no brainer, as it's compatible with the select bus. Having state control over matrix-routing is insanely powerful!!
Source link.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search