The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
General Chit Chat
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I updated the BSP firmware and checked the Sync > Clock In/Out settings and these are the options:

* 1step
* 24ppq
* 48ppq
* 2ppg (Korg)

The 24ppq is what was selected.

It's behaving better with the 1step selection now.
Glad that worked!
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Just realized that you can connect web demos (amplified to eurorack level) of raw oscillator sounds to your eurorack and get a pretty good idea how they would sound in your system.

Tested lots of them. Huge fun! For example, the Hertz Donut 3 through my Sputnik Quad VCA/VCF + Envelator made very 200e'ish sounding plucks and bongos.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

I have a Quantizer question or three.

If I take the Pitch Out of the DFAM - which is essentially atonal for most percussion patches - all over the place tone wise - and run that through a Quantizer, then that sync'd string of random tones coming from the DFAM would now be an arpeggio in Fm or whatever I want?

(Maybe not an arpeggio, but at least the random noyes will be in a given Key...)

Same with the SQ-1 CV Outs... sometomes, when using the SQ-1 as a Modulation Source which is what I typically use it for, the tones coming out are all over the place, but a Quantizer would do the same thing?

And, one more, it will also take random voltages being spit out by something like Ultra Random Analog and make those tuned arpeggios/random but in Key notes, or the like?

That's basically what they're for? Do I have that right?

What else, if anything, do yo do with a euro Quantizer? How many do I need? Is a uScale redundant if I get a Harmonaig? Do those make an O&C redundant? Since most seem.to use an O&C for its Quantizers, is it less useful if you have the others, practically speaking? How often are those other functions useful?

And if these Quantizers won't literally turn those random bleeps into a specific arpeggio, just in Key, is there some other module that convers the random string to arps/chords?
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Hey @ Derp , you spoke of a love for inexpensive modules. Do you have the Dub Delay? Also, have you seen their (Noise Reap's) ADSR that has modulatable stages? It looks great on paper, and only like $120.

I am wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this particular Envelope:

I mentioned elsewhere recently - I want at least one ADSR with a modulatable Attack so that I can free up a hand and sequence/auto-wiggle back and forth and inbetween Blippy/Plucky/Staccato and more Legato on certain patches - especially coming from the Roland 510, in context with a song.

Right now the Instruo is also a contender, but admittedly as much because I like his aesthetic and want the Harmonaig too, but I don't want to over spend either. Honestly, I should probably just find someone to add CV in to my 100m ADSR because everything else about it with the 510 is great. I wonder if someone has done this, modded these 100m ADSRs.?
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Another Quantizer question:

From a Playability standpoint, and excluding Chords / Polyphony, the Tip Top Quantizer is very appealing after watching a few videos. The 512 note recorder built in, the multi use fader.

Any reason to avoid this specific one? It seems like this plus a Harmonaig would be a great setup for mono and poly Quantizers that you "play".

Should I be considering any others?

(This is so GS and Eurorack all at once) I think I can see how 3+ Quantizers makes swnse, truly.

For example: a Harmonaig connected to a PerFourMer, a Tip Top to some lead or ambient synth whose lines are auto generated, a uScale II hanging off a DFAM and its quantized output hooked to some other synth adding some lead harmony in the background, and blah blah blah.

Right?

Am I synthesizering correctly here? Thats "normal" stuff, right? What everyone does, sort of?
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another Quantizer question:

From a Playability standpoint, and excluding Chords / Polyphony, the Tip Top Quantizer is very appealing after watching a few videos. The 512 note recorder built in, the multi use fader.

Any reason to avoid this specific one? It seems like this plus a Harmonaig would be a great setup for mono and poly Quantizers that you "play".

Should I be considering any others?

(This is so GS and Eurorack all at once) I think I can see how 3+ Quantizers makes swnse, truly.

For example: a Harmonaig connected to a PerFourMer, a Tip Top to some lead or ambient synth whose lines are auto generated, a uScale II hanging off a DFAM and its quantized output hooked to some other synth adding some lead harmony in the background, and blah blah blah.

Right?

Am I synthesizering correctly here? Thats "normal" stuff, right? What everyone does, sort of?
You'd only need an O_C or a Harmonaig ... both of those handle multiple inputs or can generate chord voicing. Once you have the voicing, you can do arps by leveraging your VCAs effectively, or with a sequential switch of some sort. O_C also has some modes that can do arpeggios like Automatonnetz.

Nothing wrong with the Tip Top, it's just pretty basic and expensive compared to what's out there now days.
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
You'd only need an O_C or a Harmonaig ... both of those handle multiple inputs or can generate chord voicing. Once you have the voicing, you can do arps by leveraging your VCAs effectively, or with a sequential switch of some sort. O_C also has some modes that can do arpeggios like Automatonnetz.

Nothing wrong with the Tip Top, it's just pretty basic and expensive compared to what's out there now days.
No kidding.

Very interesting. Thank you.

I am still drawn to the UX of the TipTop but I appreciate knowing what it is and isn't...

I will definitely, ultimately, get a Harmonaig, but that might be 90 days off. I have many competing priorities begging for the same resources.

And - Quantizers aside - I had already planned to get an O & C at some point due to its Swiss Army knife nature and value.

So it sounds like I will have all the Quantizers I need and then some. Okay. Very good to know.

Thank you.
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey @ Derp , you spoke of a love for inexpensive modules. Do you have the Dub Delay? Also, have you seen their (Noise Reap's) ADSR that has modulatable stages? It looks great on paper, and only like $120.
I don't have the ADSR or the Dub Delay, but I do have two Bermudas and Loafers. Loafers is often my go-to LFO module because of the modulatable LFO rates. Cross-modulating that little module gives lots of joy. On the other hand though, I'm not so much a fan of the Bermudas. They sound nice enough, but they're limited and kind of temperamental when it comes to tracking. Also, and I hate saying this, but Noise Reap modules feel very cheap. They seem to work fine, so no complaints, but it definitely feels like the kind of module you get from a one-man operation.
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

I finally got around to setting up the MIDI on my modular last night. I thought the missing link was going to be 1983, and it's an amazing module that works perfectly for what I need, but I think what really brings it all together is the Pittsburgh System Interface mixer module. It sounds leagues better than the Blue Lantern mixer, so mixing together a couple synth lines with a drum section from the MPC sounds so much more cohesive. This is going to be an exciting year.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Anything I need to know before buying a Tempi?

So far it seems pretty perfect. It divides and multiplies and I can do up to six distinct tap tempos at once, plus it can save presets of that stuff, it can quantize the taps or not, and you can nudge timings, and more...

Seems pretty ideal, for those tasks. Any gotchas?

I think I would feed it a master clock from the BSPro/MPC/DAW/etc and then the Tempi can be the master clock brain for all of my modular. I think. Right?

I need to clock the Muxlicer, DFAM, both sides of the Ste.16 separately, SQ-1 if I want it to be different from the Volca Sample it's usually chained to, both sides of the PEG separately, and that is just the few things I have now. I fully expect that number and variety to increase 4x in the coming months. This is just the beginning of my clock and sync challenges.

Back to now... What sort of Clocking situation *can't* be covered with this combination?

Thank you in advance.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anything I need to know before buying a Tempi?
Did they ever address the reset issue, or more accurately, Tempi not having a reset?
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Did they ever address the reset issue, or more accurately, Tempi not having a reset?
I guess I'm not entirely sure.

I have seen a few different Tempi videos where they are supposedly clocking, and more importantly - starting, and stopping it remotely, so there's that. But I can't speak to it, really. It's too new to me and I haven't even tried one in person yet. But I like what I've seen.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Right now I'm enamored by what I have seen in several different videos where they're demoing Tempi, Rene, Wogglebug, and Maths together in different ways, and now I see those modules in new light. They've jumped from Shrug to Sweet...

I think I'd like to try that combination of modules, as a performance controller /melodic sequencer / arpeggiator and clock source for the rest of my modular, basically. All that, a Harmonaig, etc, and all of these things on the front row, closest to me.

Like one keyboard in width of eurorack controllers and clock stuff, maybe a meter wide, 1.5m wide perhaps. On top of and the width of a Matriarch...?

Something like that is where I am headed.

This mockup is 168hp, close enough to a meter:

Or maybe this, on top of a Matriarch or on the keyboard shelf above it, with room to grow for all controllers and performance type modules... meant to be "played" - or played most often. Like, these things could be plugged into a Boog and an MS20 or a case of Eurorack or a Grandmother...

All clocks, sequencers, quantizers, etc...you follow... I am basically making my own mega performance controller and brain center for all things modular, separate of any voices...:

What would you add, and why? Thanks.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

A question about converting euro level audio to line level:

What does an output module do when reducing the signal to line level that an attenuator (e.g. in the VCA) doesn't?

I don't mean the additional features the output module may have (converting signal to balanced, headphone out etc.)
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
A question about converting euro level audio to line level:

What does an output module do when reducing the signal to line level that an attenuator (e.g. in the VCA) doesn't?

I don't mean the additional features the output module may have (converting signal to balanced, headphone out etc.)
I don't get it myself. I've got a couple of output modules and compared to just attenuating, I don't hear a difference. The only reason I keep the output modules is to keep the cabling management easier.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I think they handle impedance and scale audio automatically. VCA's require a carrier signal, don't worry about impedance
and most cant actually increase gain (read that somewhere).

*The article I read, which I cant find of course, said they would probably be better called
voltage controlled attenuators rather than amplifiers due to the way they work.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

I don't know, either, but I know that plugging eurorack outs into my X18 Mixer (right alongside other non modular gear) works like a charm and made me stop worrying about it.

And I'll keep rolling like this until it gives me trouble. Next I will be using the X18 sends, and my Keymaster to interface modular with some pedals. Maybe I will try that later today...
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

I think VCAs are more like a Volume Pot, which is a simple attenuator, than an actual Amp/PreAmp despite having the word Amplifer in their name.

But I can't speak to it with any authority.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I think it's mostly about impedance, which determines the amount of power a speaker needs to reproduce
a signal. The higher the impedance, the more power is needed to drive the speaker, which is why a speaker
with low impedance will blow with a high impedance signal. Think so anyway...

*This is an electrical thing mind you, I believe it has nothing to do with the contents of the signal.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Do any of you own or have hands on time with the Manhattan Analog MA35?

I have two questions:

How noisy is it, really? The DivKid video talks about it but it isn't terrible in that video. I guess it's like the MS20s, noise wise?

Also, the built in VCA... is the Gain input where the Gate goes? Those labels and dual CV ins for the VCA are sort of confusing to me.

Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

My original Tiptop switching power supply died yesterday, around 1 1/2 years old. It spits out exactly 0V.
I hope the uZeus module is ok... I am going to get a replacement by Voltcraft soon and hope for the best.

It's already too hot outside, around 30°C / 303K, and I don't have an AC in my studio.
The power supply went pretty hot, I guess it didn't like the temperatures.

I don't know if I had bad luck, but because of this experience I can't recommend Tiptop power supplies for gigging in summer or even clubs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This has given me a new appreciation for the System 500 modules. They're kinda pricey for what they are, but they sound so good and have a great workflow.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

This has given me a new appreciation for the System 500 modules. They're kinda pricey for what they are, but they sound so good and have a great workflow.
I have the dual 505 on my "list", too. I figure I'll add it to my percussion setup for stereo drum processing to go along with the TR-626.

Pretty damn inexpensive for a stereo analog filter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have a friend who works for Roland. I can get the modules at her cost, but I kinda have to buy them all to do it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
I have a friend who works for Roland. I can get the modules at her cost, but I kinda have to buy them all to do it.
Somewhere in there is a problem, but I just can't find it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Somewhere in there is a problem, but I just can't find it.
Heh, that's a lot of stuff, and it has to come from japan by ship.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And as far as the Roland 500 series in general goes, I absolutely love my 510 Voice more and more every day. I might even buy a second one.

Glassy clean sines, growly meaty saws, swooshy pulse widths, blippy, bloopy, Roland goodness, and I scored mine (open-box) for $300 delivered.

I can't say how many more in the series I'll buy, b/c the mod sources, effects, and mixer have a lot of competition, but not as much for the Voice/VCFs.

And those 505s have been going for great prices lately, and a fair amount of them out there. Damn it, @ Derp , as if I needed a reminder to get one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the dual 505 on my "list", too. I figure I'll add it to my percussion setup for stereo drum processing to go along with the TR-626.

Pretty damn inexpensive for a stereo analog filter.
Well keep in mind that the 505 filter isn't like the other stuff where's it's two of the same thing in a module. One of the filters is multimode and the other is low-pass only. Same configuration as the SH-5.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

(Insert O'really meme)

Nice catch, thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Do any of you have a CV Trinity, an Octocontroller, and a Batumi, or any two of them? @ Derp , maybe?

I'm just looking for comments on their overlap, differences, and any observations from an owner.

I kind of want them all, but definitely can't do that until later, probably/maybe in some months.

Am I missing out on anything super cool or important if I skip a Batumi for now and focus on the Octocontroller and the CV Trinity since they do so much each?

The CV Trinity is a must. 6 "channels", Envelopes, LFOs, or up to 32-step CV recorders/players. fyeah

And the Octocontroller only bubbled up to my surface radar in the last few weeks. Killer value.

A Batumi amd a Zadar later, maybe...

Comments? Anyone. Sorry if it sounds opulent or braggy or something gross, I'm working on 2+ cases at once and thinking months ahead.

Thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search