The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
General Chit Chat
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I will be getting a BIA (Basimilus Iteritas Alter) soon for my first modular percussion piece.

What do you all modulate yours with? Something to wiggle multiple parameters at once, clocked?

Inexpensive options would be good.
Personally, I love sending it sync’d sample and hold. For both modulation and sequencing, it pairs really well with a Voltage Block.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Synced sample and hold is a great modulation for pretty much any module, percussive or otherwise. That's one of the big Richard Devine effects to get that organized chaos thing that he does; one of the few times where it's easier to do a thing in hardware than it is in software. I can't imagine how he used to have sample and slice everything on his older albums.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gotta say, while threre are plenty of fresh and sexy ass oscillators coming out (Cš-L, Rossum Trident, HD & PH mk3, Supercritical Demon Core, Furthrrr update etc. etc.), the Orgone Accumulator is still the most appealing one on my radar. It's meaty and grungy in the right (dare I say Buchla 259e) sort of way. I find its sound exciting. It's older, untrendy, has too many buttons and some obviously redundant features, and the panel is downright ugly, but in my book it still beats these hip new beauty queens (which all sound good too!). On the basis of web demos at least.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
the Orgone Accumulator is still the most appealing one on my radar. It's meaty and grungy in the right (dare I say Buchla 259e) sort of way. I find its sound exciting. It's older, untrendy, has too many buttons and some obviously redundant features, and the panel is downright ugly, but in my book it still beats these hip new beauty queens (which all sound good too!). On the basis of web demos at least.
I like mine. It's a very mean module. probably one of the meanest oscillators I have.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Today the kind mailman brought me these five tapes. Just getting into this (late in the game, I know). I can tell you it sounds and feels wonderful. Nostalgy for sure but I really feel getting closer to the music this way, compared to digital files. There is a friendly softness that is also different from vinyl somehow. Works perfectly with modular music.

So tonight I'll leave the instrument under dust cover, grab a good old scifi novel and press play on the cassette player.
Attached Thumbnails
General Chit Chat-img-3478.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
[...]
So tonight I'll leave the instrument under dust cover, grab a good old scifi novel and press play on the cassette player.
Sounds like a man who knows how to enjoy life.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So, for sync'd Sample and Hold, this good enough?

Cheap, small, two of them... seems legit. No?

Any better or somehow more interesting options, without getting into more complex modules like Ultra Random Analog or that Verbos multi S&H?

Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In other modular news, my Muxlicer arrived today.

Its compadre, a DFAM, arrives in a day or two.

I want that Befaco Burst module, too, for rhythmic shenanigans with the DFAM and BIA.

What else do you all suggest I look at, for getting the most (rhythmically, primarily clocked) out of the BIA and DFAM?

I want to milk every last capability out of both of them, as percussion instruments, that will coexist with regular drum machines and samplers.

What would your personal, ultimate, "control the bejeezus out of the DFAM and BIA" rig be? Pretend the modules are dedicated to this task...

Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
meanwhile....
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Yes, have two myself. Add an LFO and a noise generator and you're in business.
Quote:
Any better or somehow more interesting options, without getting into more complex modules like Ultra Random Analog or that Verbos multi S&H?
I think Doepfer shines here for functions/price.
Also check out the Doepfer 149-1. Both that and the Verbos random based on Don Buchla invented module Source of Uncertainty 266c.
Quote:
In other modular news, my Muxlicer arrived today.

Quote:
What would your personal, ultimate, "control the bejeezus out of the DFAM and BIA" rig be? Pretend the modules are dedicated to this task...
a... sequencer?
a few, in random order:
Winter Modular Eloquencer
Erica Synths Drum Sequencer
WMD Metron
Orthogonal Devices ER-101
Doepfer A-157-1
Five12 Vectror Sequencer
TipTop Audio Circadian Rhythms
Robaux SWT16+
Squarp Instruments Hermod
Frap Tools USTA
XOR Electronics Nerdseq
TipTop Audio Trigger Riot
Analogue Solutions Generator

You can also outsource the sequencer part:
I'm using an old E-MU Command station with a MIDI to CV
Thinking of buying an Expert Sleepers ES-8 to go with my laptop running Bitwig
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I think Doepfer shines here for functions/price.
Also check out the Doepfer 149-1. Both that and the Verbos random based on Don Buchla invented module Source of Uncertainty 266c.
I had the 149-1 for a while. It was lots of fun otherwise but I felt the quantizer ended up repeating a particular note sequence way too often. This got really annoying, so I got trid of it. I'll be getting a dedicated quantizer instead (to use with my URA), possibly the o_C.

Quote:
It's a good idea to start building your random engine piece by piece, and the 148-1 is probably a great way to start.

I also recently got the 2hp RND v2 which seems promising but the quantizer is not that exciting either. Yet to read the manual though...

A the moment I use my Keystep as quantizer: sync in mode and a random arpeggio, easy to select the 'scale' just by holding down the keys. That works very well (and so cheap compared to modules!) but unfortunately it's only one quantizer at a time.
Old 2 weeks ago
Yeah it being a clone it does have it's drawbacks. I like my Noisering for that, it somehow feels a bit more .. real.
Turing machine is also an option. Cheap and abundant (DIY, secondhand).
The Verbos does have some tricks up it's sleeve, as a random generator it's a good module, if you have the coin.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What about Logic modules? How useful are they, percussion and syncopation wise? I saw one good video about them, and I see that Erica has the Pico Logic and Logic A on closeout. Looks like I couid get both, delivered, for about $100, in 6hp.

I have the Muxlicer now, and will be adding the Befaco Burst becauae that DivKid video on both is an example of exactly what I want, and I will get an Ultra Random Analog, and a CV Trinity, all in the coming month or two. They're all next on my list.

@ Reptil mentioned Sequencers... I will eventually get more CV capable Sequencers - literal Eurorack and otherwise - beyond the little SQ-1 I have now, and the one built into the DFAM, but I definitely also want the ability to use the various MIDI Sequencers I have to drive Eurorack on occasion, and to do it well... solid and reliable.

I was thinking about getting one of those Hexinverter MIDI to CV modules. It seems like a good value, two voices worth of V/oct + Gate, and other Gates. Do I need anything more sophisticated than that? Ultimately I'd like to Sequence upwards of 6 distinct eurorack voices, and a handful of non eurorack, all locked in step.

I haven't even started to worry about clock and sync yet. It is a looming problem that grows with every new piece I add, so for now I am getting all of the sources and effects sorted out first. Then Ill map everything that needs clock, who and what is master, all that. I am not looking forward to it.

So back to MIDI to CV for sequencing - I will at times want to drive Eurorack from a PC, MMT-8, Zillion, Blackbox, 626, Drumbrute, iPad and Lemur, MPC1000, NDLR, Electribe 2, and anything else I want, including keyboards like the Matriarch.

Whatever it is I don't want some fiddly annoyance, if possible. What's the best, and worst, and why?

Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

For myself, I am thinking the expert sleepers stuff is the way to go. The ES-3, with expansion used as expansion for
a good ADAT audio interface and you should be able to do whatever. Not a cheap solution unfortunately.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about Logic modules? How useful are they, percussion and syncopation wise? I saw one good video about them, and I see that Erica has the Pico Logic and Logic A on closeout. Looks like I couid get both, delivered, for about $100, in 6hp.

I have the Muxlicer now, and will be adding the Befaco Burst becauae that DivKid video on both is an example of exactly what I want, and I will get an Ultra Random Analog, and a CV Trinity, all in the coming month or two. They're all next on my list.

@ Reptil mentioned Sequencers... I will eventually get more CV capable Sequencers - literal Eurorack and otherwise - beyond the little SQ-1 I have now, and the one built into the DFAM, but I definitely also want the ability to use the various MIDI Sequencers I have to drive Eurorack on occasion, and to do it well... solid and reliable.

I was thinking about getting one of those Hexinverter MIDI to CV modules. It seems like a good value, two voices worth of V/oct + Gate, and other Gates. Do I need anything more sophisticated than that? Ultimately I'd like to Sequence upwards of 6 distinct eurorack voices, and a handful of non eurorack, all locked in step.

I haven't even started to worry about clock and sync yet. It is a looming problem that grows with every new piece I add, so for now I am getting all of the sources and effects sorted out first. Then Ill map everything that needs clock, who and what is master, all that. I am not looking forward to it.

So back to MIDI to CV for sequencing - I will at times want to drive Eurorack from a PC, MMT-8, Zillion, Blackbox, 626, Drumbrute, iPad and Lemur, MPC1000, NDLR, Electribe 2, and anything else I want, including keyboards like the Matriarch.

Whatever it is I don't want some fiddly annoyance, if possible. What's the best, and worst, and why?

Thanks.
The Hex Inverter Mutant Brain is great. Easy to configure with the web app (no programming on the module itself), but it’s very flexible. Since you mentioned clock and sync, one thing I find handy is having the ability to set the gate outs for clock and reset. You can also set them as clock dividers if you need them. While I wish it had more CV outs, I find that a really handy use of the gate outs. Worth noting that the CV.OCD is exactly the same thing (same web interface and everything), in case you need something outside the rack.

I had previously purchased Yarns, and while I might have been more inclined towards two Mutant Brains had the module existed when I got Yarns, I’ve still got Yarns because it has advantages like being able to program on the module, arps/Euclidean Mode, and digital oscs. Both have their purposes, tho I tend to do more of the heavy lifting on my external sequencer or in the patch than in a midi <CV module, so Yarns is often being used pretty basically..then again, I’ve sequenced my last few patches with noise from Quantum Rainbow 2 into the URA and am forgetting how to use midi
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That is all very helpful, thank you, particularly those clocking details about the Mutant Brain.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks.
Voltage Block can also do some sync'd random. Some inspiration ...

Old 2 weeks ago
@ Bignatius I sold my Doepfer MCV24 and bought two hexinverter MIDI2CV kits (now discontinued).
Something went pearshaped a bit here with my DIY thing (money issue) and I had to let it go for a while.
I've got my hopes pinned on that Tubbutec µTune, it can do everything (scaling, quantising, conversion) MIDI-CV and back. Just not functions like arpeggiators, envelopes etc. For MIDI trickery look at the MIDIGal (a remake of the open source Mutable Instruments MidiPal).
For CV trickery check the Ornament and Crime, it's a little can-do-all computer.

Logic modules are super useful. XOR NOR AND OR functions are useful for any CV not just sequencing.
I also have a "Flip Flop" module that has a few other functions. And an unbuilt "Temps Utile" kit, that can do logic and sequencing.

Smaller sequencers are the popular Pamela's Workout.
I also like the design of the Delphtronics Trigger Man ( @ Derp has one so he can tell more about it)
I also got a look at the Robaux SWT+ this month. it's a step sequencer, like the Circadian Rhythms (but then smaller)
That one is pretty cool for drums so maybe one of those three is a good companion to your Muxlicer.

Oh and then there's also Euclidian Sequencers. the ones from Rebel Technologies are good and the one with all the blinky leds from VPME.
That's 6 seperate sequences in one small module with lots of visual feedback. useful for jamming.

Also cool is messing around with clock signals. divide, multiply, delay, use them to control multiple smaller sequencers.
4ms are king there.
(Get a 4ms PEG anyway, it's a different envelope. great for rhythmic music)

Yeah I always forget about that voltage block. it's pretty cool cause you can program it while playing with the sliders.
Something you can also do in MIDI but then you have to figure out the CC numbers, range etc.
But the eurorack modules are more direct, and sit in the same rack. And therefore easier to work with (?)
Oh and there's those Shakmat modules. Some of those can store CV as well. Just like that Voltage block.
But then different. The guy has a completely unique idea about designing modules, so that's interesting.

In that list are also a couple of bigger sequencers in the range 500-700 euros. those can do a lot more, and you can store complete songs in those.
But with that also less immediate than the smaller ones. Maybe a combination?
I thought about it but I had to buy a laptop recently, and I have Bitwig software, so why not use that as a sort of super sequencer module?
For that I need to buy the (expensive) Expert Sleepers audio->CV module. like @ pekbro mentioned but then USB.
So that will function parallel to the whole MIDI thing. I think that Tubbutec will make a good bridge between both worlds.

Yes, like @ Accent already mentioned: If you get a MIDI-CV/Gate converter module, get one with a start/stop and a sequence reset. Essential to control (multiple) other smaller sequencer modules, from one incoming MIDI clock signal.

I'm sure I missed a whole bunch of stuff. There's SO MUCH out there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I shouldn't do this since I'm trying to sell mine, but I've had no luck with the Pico Logic and triggers. Mylar also mentioned the same issue in one of his videos, just too much lag for those quick signals.

I've had my best luck with one of the Ladik Logic modules, the B-010. Plus, it has the advantage of supporting all the various modes at once with LED indicators so you don't have the memorize all the different logic algorithms.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I shouldn'y do this [...]
Thanks for doing this because I've been eyeing on them too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you get a MIDI-CV/Gate converter module, get one with a start/stop and a sequence reset. Essential to control (multiple) other smaller sequencer modules, from one incoming MIDI clock signal.
That sounds important.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I shouldn'y do this since I'm trying to sell mine, but I've had no lick with the Pico Logic and triggers. Mylar also mentioned the same issue in one of his videos, just too much lag for those quick signals.

I've had my best luck with one of the Ladik Logic modules, the B-010. Plus, it has the advantage of supporting all the various modes at once with LED indicators so you don't have the memorize all the different logic algorithms.
Definitely thanks for that...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's all very good advice, btw. A lot to digest.

More comments and questions later. My Electribe 2 Sampler and Cranial Saw arrive today, and the DFAM ia due Thursday.

Today I have one of those good problems to have:

I have to drive into town to the local Guitar Center to buy more MIDI and a few audio cables because I bought so much new stuff at once I ran out of the necessary cables in the right lengths and types.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks.
Totally. I've got two of these myself. Send 'em triggers and noise, and you get lots of synced S&H goodness.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What can PEG do, or do meaningfully differently, from the envelopes that CV Trinity is capable of, particularly for percussive elements?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
What can PEG do, or do meaningfully differently, from the envelopes that CV Trinity is capable of, particularly for percussive elements?
the PEG is a different beast. it's clockable, so you send it clocks, you multiply or divide and use that to trigger two envelopes. those have different timed modulation output points and some logic stuff. it works very well, not just for synth sounds.
4ms since made some modules that have this clock divider/multiplier seperately so you can use it with any parameter. But the PEG has it both.

Those two, the PEG and the CV Trinity side by side would be nice actually.

Here something about clocks and such.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for that.

Regarding sync, when I use the BeatStep Pro as Master Clock and Transport controls, some things sync correctly, and others much faster.

With the BSP tempo set to 90, the DFAM must be going 2x or some other multiplication of it. To get the DFAM to go at anything resembling a slower tempo I have to set the BSP to 30bpm or use a very sparse beat on the DFAM (every 8th or so).

I need/want the BSP, Volca Sample (works fine with a MIDI in), SQ-1 (plays along as long as it gets its Sync from the Volca), 626 (works fine with MIDI in), Zillion (plays at about 2x with MIDI in), and other stuff in sync. I cannot seem to get the Muxlicer in Sync either, except when I unplugged any clock ins and tuned the tempo manually which I should not have to do (in 2019) in my opinion.

It's not like I want "everything clocked", but I want to start with clocked and deliberately choose what isn't, not the other way around.

I'm probably gling to get a PEG, which is yet another piece needing clock. I want a tight synced set of sh!t happening at many/all divisions, across multiple platforms. From LFOs to Drum Machines to Delays.

And I feel like I "need" the ability to do all that - with several different Master Clocks, one at a time, but whatever the flavor of the day is. A simple 3 part composition with a BSP at the center, a DAW with an interface, an MPC, an OP-Z, whatever.

I "need" my setup to be clocked in any number of ways *and* agnostic as to which centerpiece is in charge at a given moment.

Suggestions regarding what to get next to help this?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I typically use the wogglebug as master clock, syncing everything to that. The Magneto has a nice multiplier
and MATHS can be used as a divider, so I can get by without dedicated units pretty well. The SQ-1
can sync to my DAW as well as my Roland A-300 (both can also sync the Bitbox).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for that.

Regarding sync, when I use the BeatStep Pro as Master Clock and Transport controls, some things sync correctly, and others much faster.

With the BSP tempo set to 90, the DFAM must be going 2x or some other multiplication of it. To get the DFAM to go at anything resembling a slower tempo I have to set the BSP to 30bpm or use a very sparse beat on the DFAM (every 8th or so).

I need/want the BSP, Volca Sample (works fine with a MIDI in), SQ-1 (plays along as long as it gets its Sync from the Volca), 626 (works fine with MIDI in), Zillion (plays at about 2x with MIDI in), and other stuff in sync. I cannot seem to get the Muxlicer in Sync either, except when I unplugged any clock ins and tuned the tempo manually which I should not have to do (in 2019) in my opinion.

It's not like I want "everything clocked", but I want to start with clocked and deliberately choose what isn't, not the other way around.

I'm probably gling to get a PEG, which is yet another piece needing clock. I want a tight synced set of sh!t happening at many/all divisions, across multiple platforms. From LFOs to Drum Machines to Delays.

And I feel like I "need" the ability to do all that - with several different Master Clocks, one at a time, but whatever the flavor of the day is. A simple 3 part composition with a BSP at the center, a DAW with an interface, an MPC, an OP-Z, whatever.

I "need" my setup to be clocked in any number of ways *and* agnostic as to which centerpiece is in charge at a given moment.

Suggestions regarding what to get next to help this?
Sounds like your BSP might be spitting out the wrong clock. How it up to a computer and go into settings. You can get the typical 16th note clock output that way.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Sounds like your BSP might be spitting out the wrong clock. How it up to a computer and go into settings. You can get the typical 16th note clock output that way.
I updated the BSP firmware and checked the Sync > Clock In/Out settings and these are the options:

* 1step
* 24ppq
* 48ppq
* 2ppg (Korg)

The 24ppq is what was selected.

It's behaving better with the 1step selection now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search