The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
General Chit Chat Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th April 2019
  #961
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar


So heart warming to see many of the legends still around and active.
Old 6th April 2019
  #962
Lives for gear
 

The Cold Mac has interesting tricks up its sleeve, for a VCA and utilities perspective.
Old 6th April 2019
  #963
Lives for gear
 

@ Derp , that Power Supply you suggested for the uZeus arrived and it is great. An added bonus is the included 5V USB port that is perfect to power the two SQ-1s I'm squeezing into the case.

Thanks again.



It's Alive!!!



Old 8th April 2019
  #964
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
@ Derp , that Power Supply you suggested for the uZeus arrived and it is great. An added bonus is the included 5V USB port that is perfect to power the two SQ-1s I'm squeezing into the case.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear it!
Old 11th April 2019
  #965
Lives for gear
 

Do any of you know of any working discount codes for Perfect Circuit, or any of the other online modular stores in the US?

I have several things to buy this month and every little bit of savings will help.

Thanks.
Old 11th April 2019
  #966
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Do any of you know of any working discount codes for Perfect Circuit, or any of the other online modular stores in the US?

I have several things to buy this month and every little bit of savings will help.

Thanks.
You know, now that you mention it, I haven't received a discount code from them in ages.
Old 11th April 2019
  #967
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Synthesizers.com finally updated their archaic ordering system. Hopefully I'll be taking advantage of that soon. I've somehow managed to successfully hold off from buying more Eurorack for the time being and really want to get my Dot Com up and running.
Old 11th April 2019
  #968
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
You know, now that you mention it, I haven't received a discount code from them in ages.
I managed to get a 10% off code by signing up for their email newsletter. It's not much but it beats nothing.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #969
Really looking forward to see what Superbooth will bring this year
Old 4 weeks ago
  #970
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Just got a surprise decrease in income, so here's something I've said a million times but actually will be sticking to: Looks like I'm going to be slowing down my modular purchases!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #971
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Just got a surprise decrease in income, so here's something I've said a million times but actually will be sticking to: Looks like I'm going to be slowing down my modular purchases!
Ups and downs, happens. Hopefully, it will go up again.
I am also slowing down, I want to try a few specific things before buying this or that... than adjust/sell/replace/add after some test results

Also, we are too close to Superbooth, I don't usually buy stuff just before music trade shows - The problem is to resist shiny object impulses after the show
Old 4 weeks ago
  #972
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Just got a surprise decrease in income, so here's something I've said a million times but actually will be sticking to: Looks like I'm going to be slowing down my modular purchases!
You say that, but we both know you’ve got plenty of blood and plasma and less vital organs at hand.

Sorry about the surprise decrease in income tho, that’s never a good thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #973
Is there a module that acts as a logic gate, but passes through the original signal from input to output?

For example, sequence to the "main in", 2/3 other inputs that can receive whatever just like a normal logic gate modules does.
And when and/or/xor/whatever port is true, it passes that sequence note from the "main in"


Edit:
Or do logic gates always spit out the original signal, and is all this "high/low" talk throwing me off?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #974
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Fsck! So much for getting a new mixer. One of my Genelec 8020A's just died, the tweeter went out. They're too old to find a suitably matched replacement, so it looks like I need to drop $1100 on a new set. Anyone know of something of similar size that I should also be looking into? Size is major constraint (thus the small 8020's).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #975
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
Is there a module that acts as a logic gate, but passes through the original signal from input to output?

For example, sequence to the "main in", 2/3 other inputs that can receive whatever just like a normal logic gate modules does.
And when and/or/xor/whatever port is true, it passes that sequence note from the "main in"


Edit:
Or do logic gates always spit out the original signal, and is all this "high/low" talk throwing me off?
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your misunderstanding but by your talk of "original signal" it seems you are a bit off track.... "Signal" isn't really relevant - all that matters is ON (aka HIGH/TRUE or basically above whatever voltage threshold) or OFF (LOW/FALSE or less than the threshold). When feeding an audio signal through a logic gate, from the point of view of the logic module, all it is, is something going on off on off on off on off. Simple binary 1 or 0 - there is no other value or quality of signal. (Putting audio through a logic gate has a bitcrushing effect basically)

That said, there are a few ways to interpret your question... At first I thought you meant just a kind of "thru" that would pass one of the inputs directly through (ie could be handy if one of your inputs is your main clock for example) in which case the usual way to do it would be to mult it before the logic. On some of the larger combined logic modules you could also get this just from the OR output too, although again this is not going to give you a "signal", just another gate/trigger.

On second reading and your talk of "signal" and "2/3 other inputs" it seems you are thinking of something else though - what I'm guessing you are after actually is that you should be using using a logic gate to gate a VCA that has your "signal" going through it.... ?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #976
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your misunderstanding but by your talk of "original signal" it seems you are a bit off track.... "Signal" isn't really relevant - all that matters is ON (aka HIGH/TRUE or basically above whatever voltage threshold) or OFF (LOW/FALSE or less than the threshold). When feeding an audio signal through a logic gate, from the point of view of the logic module, all it is, is something going on off on off on off on off. Simple binary 1 or 0 - there is no other value or quality of signal. (Putting audio through a logic gate has a bitcrushing effect basically)

That said, there are a few ways to interpret your question... At first I thought you meant just a kind of "thru" that would pass one of the inputs directly through (ie could be handy if one of your inputs is your main clock for example) in which case the usual way to do it would be to mult it before the logic. On some of the larger combined logic modules you could also get this just from the OR output too, although again this is not going to give you a "signal", just another gate/trigger.

On second reading and your talk of "signal" and "2/3 other inputs" it seems you are thinking of something else though - what I'm guessing you are after actually is that you should be using using a logic gate to gate a VCA that has your "signal" going through it.... ?
This actually make a lot of sense, haha!

I guess I was thinking of a VCA combined with a logic gate, passing trough a melody under certain conditions.
But of course using a logic module, to open a VCA gives the same result.

Then I guess its the Klavis Logica XT I want :-)

Thanks for your help!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #977
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Fsck! So much for getting a new mixer. One of my Genelec 8020A's just died, the tweeter went out. They're too old to find a suitably matched replacement, so it looks like I need to drop $1100 on a new set. Anyone know of something of similar size that I should also be looking into? Size is major constraint (thus the small 8020's).
That sucks, dude!

I'm a huge fan of the Equator D5's. They aren't as cheap as they were when they first rolled them out, but they're affordable and sound dead-on to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #978
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
I really really really really need to be watching my spending right now, but I've got a terrible lust for a Bastl 1983. Being able to play modular lines in perfect tuning sounds like a dream.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #979
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I really really really really need to be watching my spending right now, but I've got a terrible lust for a Bastl 1983. Being able to play modular lines in perfect tuning sounds like a dream.
That CV Trinity of theirs is on my short list, thanks to you I think. Before that I had more or less ignored them because I'm weird and put off by the wooden panels.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #980
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
That CV Trinity of theirs is on my short list, thanks to you I think. Before that I had more or less ignored them because I'm weird and put off by the wooden panels.
I personally liked the wooden panels, but I understand they're not everybody's thing. Most of their modules are available in aluminum now. Heck, I think the 1983 doesn't even come in wood.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #981
Lives for gear
 

I'm a huge dork about panels. I like plain silver, or plain black, and I prefer they all match in a case.

It's ridiculous, but harmless, so I roll with it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #982
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That sucks, dude!

I'm a huge fan of the Equator D5's. They aren't as cheap as they were when they first rolled them out, but they're affordable and sound dead-on to me.
Really wish I could have found those Equator's. Looks like the company disappeared. Anyhow ... New set of Genelec 8020D's and a 7040 sub incoming. I'll be spending Friday wearing them in and re-calibrating / programming the Behringer DEQ.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #983
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Really wish I could have found those Equator's. Looks like the company disappeared. Anyhow ... New set of Genelec 8020D's and a 7040 sub incoming. I'll be spending Friday wearing them in and re-calibrating / programming the Behringer DEQ.
Ah, that sucks!!! I guess the price hike killed them. They were $300 a pair when they came out, but when they went for wide distribution, they had to double the price. Guess I'm just going to have to treasure and baby mine forever. Kudos on the Genelecs, though.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #984
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
That CV Trinity of theirs is on my short list, thanks to you I think. Before that I had more or less ignored them because I'm weird and put off by the wooden panels.
I really like the wood panels. I just think it looks funny having 1 random wood panel in a rig full of silver and black panels...and yet, I have a lone wood Cinnamon in the middle of my rack (the silver panels weren’t an option until after I got it)...I just try not to let it get to my OCD because I love that filter so much. One of these days I will get myself a little Bastl rig and all will be right in the world.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #985
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
I'm super excited about the 1983. I hope I'm not overhyping myself, but this could be a game changer for me. I rearranged modules and got MIDI running to that side of the studio in preparation for its arrival. I had long ago written off the idea of being able to record live VCO's with modulation going on and in perfect tuning. Amazing times we live in!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #986
Lives for gear
 

Regarding patch cables, I very much like the skinny braided ones that came with the BSP. The skinny ones are noticeably less visually distracting when there is many things plugged in, and those skinny ends fit into cramped areas better too.

So that's my new jam. Skinny braided patch cables with skinny ends. Who else makes that kind?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #987
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm super excited about the 1983. I hope I'm not overhyping myself, but this could be a game changer for me. I rearranged modules and got MIDI running to that side of the studio in preparation for its arrival. I had long ago written off the idea of being able to record live VCO's with modulation going on and in perfect tuning. Amazing times we live in!
Thanks - now I'm excited about the 1983 too Was actually looking for options for a quantizer and the Ornament & Crime seemed like the best choice but now this seems very tempting. Both have interesting other features in small HP.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #988
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Regarding patch cables, I very much like the skinny braided ones that came with the BSP. The skinny ones are noticeably less visually distracting when there is many things plugged in, and those skinny ends fit into cramped areas better too.

So that's my new jam. Skinny braided patch cables with skinny ends. Who else makes that kind?
I find the Black Market cables a good balance. Good quality, good variety and the ends are not too big. I first tried the skinny Pittsburgh noodles because they looked cool and the small ends but they are not so comfortable in use.

Braided cables are cool for steam irons IMHO
Old 2 weeks ago
  #989
Lives for gear
 

What do you all like for Envelope Generators with a modulatable Attack and Release?

Ideally, it would be a single Envelope. something much like the Frequency Central 100m adsr, but with CV A & R. I sort of want a dedicated piece, vs tying up something big and flexible like Maths/etc.

I only have two hands so sometimes I would like to precisely sequence the A & R affecting a given sound, from short and blippy to soft and long, purposefully, to go along with the given track.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #990
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
What do you all like for Envelope Generators with a modulatable Attack and Release?

Ideally, it would be a single Envelope. something much like the Frequency Central 100m adsr, but with CV A & R. I sort of want a dedicated piece, vs tying up something big and flexible like Maths/etc.

I only have two hands so sometimes I would like to precisely sequence the A & R affecting a given sound, from short and blippy to soft and long, purposefully, to go along with the given track.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Not 100% your specs but the Envelator is absolutely the most musical envelope for snappy blips and blops I've encountered. Even better than the SH-101. It easily beats Maths in that area, more punch and 3D. I'd say it even beats my R*S DUSG for snappy env duties because it's instant sweet spot whereas the DUSG requires careful dialing. The Envelator of course does very long ones too (the 10x switch) and many other things.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump