The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
General Chit Chat Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Hi, im pretty green when it comes to synthesis, but i´m learning more day by day.
I use my usb-keys for now and vst-s, but I want to make an upgrade and expand my knowledge...

Therefore I am thinking about buying a hybrid. But I don´t really know which one to choose.
I bet there are many to choose from, with prices ranging from relatively cheap to very expensive, and with different levels of quality.
I´m looking for something that is a great beginner-hybrid, if that makes sense, for up to the price of 400$.

I hope im not in the wrong subforum, i´m sorry for any inconvinience..
I would be very thankful to be pointed in the right direction.
It´s tough to navigate in a the synth-sphere...!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_nyh View Post
Hi, im pretty green when it comes to synthesis, but i´m learning more day by day.
I use my usb-keys for now and vst-s, but I want to make an upgrade and expand my knowledge...

Therefore I am thinking about buying a hybrid. But I don´t really know which one to choose.
I bet there are many to choose from, with prices ranging from relatively cheap to very expensive, and with different levels of quality.
I´m looking for something that is a great beginner-hybrid, if that makes sense, for up to the price of 400$.

I hope im not in the wrong subforum, i´m sorry for any inconvinience..
I would be very thankful to be pointed in the right direction.
It´s tough to navigate in a the synth-sphere...!
I'm pretty sure you're in the wrong subforum. What kind of a hybrid are you looking at? Like analog/digital, modular/fixed-architecture, hardware/software, Mexican/Korean...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm pretty sure you're in the wrong subforum. What kind of a hybrid are you looking at? Like analog/digital, modular/fixed-architecture, hardware/software, Mexican/Korean...
Hah, well that says it all; I have no clue..
Im thinking of something like the Arturia microbrute. Basically a midi keyboard and synthesizer in one, I guess...

I´ll try in another subforum.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hah, well that says it all; I have no clue..
Im thinking of something like the Arturia microbrute. Basically a midi keyboard and synthesizer in one, I guess...

I´ll try in another subforum.
Hi, here's some more helpful advice on semi-modular synths which it seems you are looking for in your price range:

Mother32
Behringer Neutron
Makenoise 0-coast

I have a Mother 32 and like it but the Behringer Neutron might be a better option, but I don't own one. Opinions?

C'mon people.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

My opinion might be against the grain but I think a semi-modular is not a great place to start learning about synths in general. They're great for people who already know their way around fixed architecture synths and want to explore deeper patching but they can be really confusing because you have the patch points to learn but also all of the normalized connections and you have to know what patch breaks what normalization. I started with an MS-20 and I have to say that thing is still confusing to patch after years of working with modular.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
My opinion might be against the grain but I think a semi-modular is not a great place to start learning about synths in general. They're great for people who already know their way around fixed architecture synths and want to explore deeper patching but they can be really confusing because you have the patch points to learn but also all of the normalized connections and you have to know what patch breaks what normalization. I started with an MS-20 and I have to say that thing is still confusing to patch after years of working with modular.
I do agree with that and find patching modular easier to understand than the Mother 32 but I haven't tried the Neutron or Minibrute. For non-modular I do find the Novation Bass station is easy to understand which may be better for a beginner with still plenty of good modulation options or the Behringer Deepmind much better. I'm currently interested in getting a Moog Minitaur but yes other forums for that.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Do you all think the Roland 555 module is a smart buy given its features and price, to go with my Roland 510 voice + the Torcido (as a modulation source)?

The 555 does many things, but is $350. Are there other multi functional modules with similar features for less money or that do even more?

The 555 would match, being Roland, but I do not want to overpay for that if the rest of the module is not anything special or cool. What do you think?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I do agree with that and find patching modular easier to understand than the Mother 32 but I haven't tried the Neutron or Minibrute. For non-modular I do find the Novation Bass station is easy to understand which may be better for a beginner with still plenty of good modulation options or the Behringer Deepmind much better. I'm currently interested in getting a Moog Minitaur but yes other forums for that.
I have a Neutron and a Model D clone. I like them, and think the patching is not very hard. There are so many YouTube videos explaining things now. I am definitely a modular novice but it is not physics,,,
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Do you all think the Roland 555 module is a smart buy given its features and price, to go with my Roland 510 voice + the Torcido (as a modulation source)?

The 555 does many things, but is $350. Are there other multi functional modules with similar features for less money or that do even more?

The 555 would match, being Roland, but I do not want to overpay for that if the rest of the module is not anything special or cool. What do you think?
The Roland modules are nice, but man are they expensive for what they are. I know everybody and their mother recommends it and I'm not even a fan of it myself, but have you looked into Maths? The only thing Maths doesn't do that the 555 does is S&H, but sample and hold modules can be had pretty cheap.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Ermahgerd, I love the Mimetic Digitalis! I was goofing around last night trying to finally learn the Bitbox. Just before I shut down, I decided to pop the Mimetic Digitalis into the mix and accidentally made a killer EBM riff. That module is dangerous and fun!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Interesting. I'm inclined to agree--especially after getting a Neutron recently, which I assumed would be a piece of cake to patch after having worked with full-on modular for awhile now. Trying to remember exactly which patchpoints are normalled to what in the patchbay, and at exactly which point in the signal flow a connection is broken once a patchchord is inserted isn't as easy for me as I'd thought. I guess I've been particularly spoiled by using a Doepfer system, where most things are broken down into their most basic forms with very little normalization beyond the most obvious. Doepfer systems require a lot of patching. But at least you have a clearer image of what's going on in the patch.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
The Roland modules are nice, but man are they expensive for what they are. I know everybody and their mother recommends it and I'm not even a fan of it myself, but have you looked into Maths? The only thing Maths doesn't do that the 555 does is S&H, but sample and hold modules can be had pretty cheap.
I have looked at Maths, thank you. It is $250, then a Sample & Hold wouid have to be added, so it may not be very much difference in price since the 555 is $350.

I looked on modular grid and did not see any inexpensive Sample & Hold modules with the same features the 555 offers. Do you like any specific ones? The one Roland includes in the 555 has a lot of features.

These are difficult comparisons because they are not true equivalents. So often this is true I think. Does anyone here own the 555 and a Maths? I wouid like more insight about how the function in practice.

Thank you for the assistance.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
@Bignatius

System 80 has a 555 style module. They make the Jove filter. I think it's slightly more affordable then the Roland, slightly different feature set. Might be an option.

Maths can slew, offset and scale any S/H.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Verse View Post
@Bignatius

System 80 has a 555 style module. They make the Jove filter. I think it's slightly more affordable then the Roland, slightly different feature set. Might be an option.

Maths can slew, offset and scale any S/H.
Thank you. That is a good alternative, and it has a Reset input for the LFO that the 555 doesn't.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Thanks for all the replies. Probably best to start with something like a Novation Bass-station imo.
I will look into how patching of synths with DAWs work. My goal in 2-3 years should be to get into modular synthesis.
Again thanks.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Probably best to start with something like a Novation Bass-station imo.
I will look into how patching of synths with DAWs work. My goal in 2-3 years should be to get into modular synthesis.
Again thanks.
VCV is free, good practice, and sounds good also.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
VCV is free, good practice, and sounds good also.
+1 to this. There's some guys streaming on Twitch that just build patches with VCV, and they're a joy to listen to.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again thanks.
For learning sound design the Novation Bass Station 2 has a really great hands on interface, very intuitive and easy to understand. I bought one recently and own a few synths and it's a delight to work with. The oscillators sound good too, Rolandish, bright and sometimes Moogy. The Behringer Deepmind is also very intuitive and sounds more authentic vintage analogue (modeled after Juno) is poly so more powerful and has great FX. For a great all round analogue poly synth I'd save your bucks and get a Deepmind. The BS2 is as I said great intuitive design too.

And yes just to add to other comments for learning modular patching there are some good software options but you won't get that 'hands on' feel. Choose a good mono or poly to learn sound design and use the softies to learn patching until you decide to dip your fit in... and you can start quite cheaply with a basic system of 3-4 modules but I'd say learn subtractive synthesis sound design on a built synth first and you'll find it much quicker to design sounds for your compositions. Modular takes more time; it is great for BYO subtractive sound design but is also a separate 'free-form' or self generating thing in itself and something I am still struggling to resolve how I use it and want to use modular in my compositions. When I'm composing I use built synths and when I'm in the mood I'll do some more experimental modular noodling.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search