The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
General Chit Chat Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
So when do we get to hear it?
I need to spend some time playing around but I will def post a video with it. It's a freakin happy accident machine.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I need to spend some time playing around but I will def post a video with it. It's a freakin happy accident machine.
Sounds like you're liking it just as much as I do ... @Derp, I usually combine Marbles with Quantermain on O_C to create chords, or complimentary melodic lines based on whatever goodness is coming out of Marbles.

And yes, I found Marbles to be good enough that I sold my custom, all-in-on, expanded Turing Machine Mk. II.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Got my Marbles last night (props to Control for 1 day turnaround). I patched the trigger outs to a kick, snare and branches with either side of branches going to open and closed high hat. Then two of the CV outs to Rings and Plaits. Wow. I could just listed to the rhythms and melodies that thing spits out for hours. I don't think my modular needs me any more.
I have not touched my keyboard since I have Marbles
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
So when do we get to hear it?

That's a position I'd love to be in. I'd love some sort of auto-composition module that just does all the sequencing and stuff for me so I can focus on sound design.
You don’t own a Marbles?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Sounds like you're liking it just as much as I do ... @Derp, I usually combine Marbles with Quantermain on O_C to create chords, or complimentary melodic lines based on whatever goodness is coming out of Marbles.

And yes, I found Marbles to be good enough that I sold my custom, all-in-on, expanded Turing Machine Mk. II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
You don’t own a Marbles?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't Marbles just a random CV/gate generator a la Wogglebug or Ultra Random Analog with a turing machine locked onto the outputs? That's why I don't have one yet is that $360 seems like a bit much for just another random CV generator.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't Marbles just a random CV/gate generator a la Wogglebug or Ultra Random Analog with a turing machine locked onto the outputs? That's why I don't have one yet is that $360 seems like a bit much for just another random CV generator.
People keep saying that, but definitely not. The middle output would is close to a wogglebug, but the three on the right are Branches and / or Grids, and the three on the left are three musically related shift register sequencers. You can slew them internally if you want a more "wogglebug" type effect, but using like that would be a serious waste.

Let kill that perception ... Marbles is a well designed, extremely hands-on and playable, fully self-contained, generative musical sequencer.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
'Upgrading the A-111-2 with a couple of these' - a couple of what? Did you mean Timo Rozendal's Eurorack CEM3340 VCO?
What I meant was that I was planning on upgrading my two existing A-111s with A-111-2s.

As these things happen, though, I've decided to keep the old ones.

There are obviously less expensive ways of getting CEM 3340s these days. But they don't all look as sexy to me as this:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a bit like 3 channels of grids, branches or ratcheting triggers, 3 channels of quantized cv and one channel of slewed random ala URA right channel with the slew all the way up. But the brilliant part is the way that all of the signals share the different settings, especially the deja vu. I never went down the turing machine route so this kind of musical random shift register thing is completely new to me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Awesome video.
Okay, you've convinced me. To the wishlist!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, you've convinced me. To the wishlist!
I have been observing Marbles for a while and wondering if it's just the next new thing and how useful it actually is but it sounds interesting enough. I want to try more self generative random stuff and it sounds like it excels in this area.

Should I try it then? I have so much modulation now, I just wonder how I'd connect this with my Octocontroller, Maths, Morphing LFO, Pams, Ornament n Crime etc... It's a complex mindfield. I'd like to get where I have just the modules I want and can use to do what I want - and that still seems way off for me.

And maybe I just need a Marbles.. with a few added extras
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Any thoughts on the Pittsburgh Modular Game System? Looks like it might be discontinued. I messed with it at NAMM a few years ago but it was before I knew anything about modular. Kinda curious about picking one up while it’s still available to compliment my other sequencers (getting hyped about my ideas of “sequencing the sequencers” so it seems like it might be handy to have as another flavor).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have been observing Marbles for a while and wondering if it's just the next new thing and how useful it actually is but it sounds interesting enough. I want to try more self generative random stuff and it sounds like it excels in this area.

Should I try it then? I have so much modulation now, I just wonder how I'd connect this with my Octocontroller, Maths, Morphing LFO, Pams, Ornament n Crime etc... It's a complex mindfield. I'd like to get where I have just the modules I want and can use to do what I want - and that still seems way off for me.

Guys, Marbles is not a dumb modulation source (though you can make it one and waste it). Additionally, I have every mod module you mentioned (and more) and there's more than enough room for it. There might be some basic overlap with O_C for a simple patch, but I almost always use them both together ... O_C handles chording / additionally voices duties. Functionally, the closest thing I have to Marbles would be Grids, Branches, and Tuesday.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I just sort of accidentally got a marbles too. lol

It hadn't really been on my radar, but threw in a low-ball bid on one for laughs anyway. Of course I won, because it wasn't getting power haha.

Big ups to Mutable for open source licensing though! I'm pretty sure repairs as such are going to turn out to be beyond my abilities, but cool to have the resources out there so the marbles won't be lost

Anyway, looking into what it actually does, it seems be a kind of sequencing patch in one module, rather than really doing anything new as such, a sort of malfunctioning Befaco Muxslicer maybe. Like I can imagine Olivier looking at this permapatch that he's gradually built up around a Turing machine, a few branches, euclidean seqs, sequential switches, slew limiters, clock dividers, quantizers and s&h modules, and figuring he wants a better interface and all his mixers and VCAs back.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
I just sort of accidentally got a marbles too. lol

It hadn't really been on my radar, but threw in a low-ball bid on one for laughs anyway. Of course I won, because it wasn't getting power haha.

Big ups to Mutable for open source licensing though! I'm pretty sure repairs as such are going to turn out to be beyond my abilities, but cool to have the resources out there so the marbles won't be lost

Anyway, looking into what it actually does, it seems be a kind of sequencing patch in one module, rather than really doing anything new as such, a sort of malfunctioning Befaco Muxslicer maybe. Like I can imagine Olivier looking at this permapatch that he's gradually built up around a Turing machine, a few branches, euclidean seqs, sequential switches, slew limiters, clock dividers, quantizers and s&h modules, and figuring he wants a better interface and all his mixers and VCAs back.
If it's borked, reach out to Olivier at Mutable. Though I haven't had to do it, word is that he's really receptive and helpful when it comes to repairs (he'll do them himself for you if need be).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
If it's borked, reach out to Olivier at Mutable. Though I haven't had to do it, word is that he's really receptive and helpful when it comes to repairs (he'll do them himself for you if need be).
Wasn't what I had in mind, but after opening it up It may yet come to that. I was expecting SMT, but this is almost all 0402 size (its like soldering of grains of sand) so not sure there'll be a wealth of DIY boards out there as there are for the first generation modules. (Thought if all else failed I could just pull all the "hardware" and slide in a new electronics board) Haven't even probed it yet, but about the only chance I think I have is that its the power regulator itself - once it gets beyond that and I start thinking about swapping chips or anything, there's a much higher chance of me introducing more issues than solving them.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

How much random do you have going on? Marbles sounds a bit different than this, but try sending something that generates random signals (S&H, Noise, Woggles, etc.) through O_C. Alternatively, the Turing Machines on O_C are kind of tricky to get the hang of, but you can get a lot of joy from them once you get the hang of them.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Any thoughts on the Pittsburgh Modular Game System? Looks like it might be discontinued. I messed with it at NAMM a few years ago but it was before I knew anything about modular. Kinda curious about picking one up while it’s still available to compliment my other sequencers (getting hyped about my ideas of “sequencing the sequencers” so it seems like it might be handy to have as another flavor).
It looks cool, but I think it could have used more 'games'.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
How much random do you have going on? Marbles sounds a bit different than this, but try sending something that generates random signals (S&H, Noise, Woggles, etc.) through O_C. Alternatively, the Turing Machines on O_C are kind of tricky to get the hang of, but you can get a lot of joy from them once you get the hang of them.
I'll curb my gas for a Marbles then for a while and explore what I have. I'm finding O_C hard to get the hang of. I tried chords - acid curds but couldn't work it out how to use it. Not an easy or quickly accessible one.

The octocontroller interface btw I find okay but still a little hard to use because I can't read the writing, I need very bright lights but still the writing is too small. I might just need to get a magnifying glass! And I wish it had select buttons for each channel. I guess I need to design one myself.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The octocontroller interface btw I find okay but still a little hard to use because I can't read the writing, I need very bright lights but still the writing it too small. I might just need to get a magnifying glass!
I have a magnifying glass sitting by my modular at all times. My eyes are **** and there's a couple of makers that use fonts too small for them, Mannequins and Bastl are the worst. But it's also handy installing modules where the red stripe indicator is some tiny obscure little mark. People complain about make noise font but even if you don't like the style at least the labels are big and you can see them.
Old 5 days ago
Can relate to the vision issues as well. Even with my glasses I still can't read some of it in the dim lighting I prefer. I end up busting out the phone flashlight, and if it's too small to see period I'll use the phone camera to magnify it.
Old 5 days ago
Same here.
But as it's just a need for reading glasses I'm putting glasses on and off all the time. It's a pain, but I need glasses for all my gear now, not just modular.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quick heads up: Perfect Circuit is doing 15% off of the Division 6 Dual Sequencer. It's affordable and it's a badass little 303-style sequencer if anyone wants in on this.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Just wanna give a shout out to WMD. The ribbon cable they included with my SSM Expand was was too short to comfortably connect to the main module (I got it to work, but it was a super tight fit, to the point that the modules didn’t quite sit flush and I had to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get it into a case with sliding nuts, and fretted the whole time about damaging something), and they had a longer replacement to me within 48 hours, and sent a bunch of stickers and a nice enamel pin as well. Good show there, from the people behind some of my favorite modules.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

I also want to give a shout out to Pittsburgh Modular. Recently needed to get my Double Helix repaired. Sent it in and they not only repaired it and re-calibrated it they also upgraded the wavefolder circuit. All for free and they covered the return shipping. Awesome!

On that Pittsburgh Modular note, I'm also super stoked about this module:

Pittsburgh Modular Electronic Sequence Designer 128 - Eurorack Module on ModularGrid

Really looks like the sequencer I've been searching for. Seriously making me think I want to get two!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I also want to give a shout out to Steady State Fate. My Ultra Random Analog released the magic smoke a little while ago, and I think it might have been my fault (had a module not screwed into the case and I think it hit the PCB of the URA or something and fried it). It did take a while to get a response after contacting them on their website FWIW, but after I messaged them on FB Andrew got right back to me and sorted me out pretty quick, and other than paying to ship it back it didn’t cost me a dime. I’m 99% sure they just sent me back a new module actually. Very good service, and there’s some more SSF modules on my list as a result.

Also didn’t realize just how much I missed the URA until I had it back. Seriously such a brilliant and amazing module that I pretty much insist everyone buy one, even if they don’t make music, much less use modular. Kinda tempted to get a Quantum Rainbow 2 to compliment it soon.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I’ve been kind of obsessed with this idea I’ve had over the last year of “sequencing the sequencers”...essentially using a variety of sequencers to trigger other sequencers and logic within my modular to create move moving, songlike works. I’ve been toying around with the idea of selling a bunch of gear I like but don’t use much because of my modular addiction to fund and make some space in my relatively small studio. And then on the way to work this morning, it randomly occurred to me “hey, why not use Reaktor 6?” Before I started using hardware modular, it was R6 that let me prototype some of the ideas I had and realize that I needed to take the plunge into modular hardware. And when my old interface died, I spent a good amount of time researching and purchasing an interface and the necessary cables (Motu Ultralite and Expert Sleepers floating ring cables FWIW) so I could integrate my computer with my modular. And then I just let it go after a couple of times of testing and working out the kinks.

Anyhow, so I’ve got this entire setup that could be used to mess around with ideas and figure out some of the dicey next steps in trying to make this setup my own, and it just finally occurred to me that I can prototype a bunch of ideas with my rig before I drop more coin on yet another case and more modules that I’ll ultimately just hope will integrate as I want them to.

So I think this weekend I’m going to experiment with R6 to make some tools to integrate with my rig. They may be quickly replaced by hardware modules because that’s just how I work, but having this stuff readily at hand I’d be an idiot not to at least use it to focus my goals a bit more before I spend another dime.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbfort View Post
I also want to give a shout out to Pittsburgh Modular. Recently needed to get my Double Helix repaired. Sent it in and they not only repaired it and re-calibrated it they also upgraded the wavefolder circuit. All for free and they covered the return shipping. Awesome!

On that Pittsburgh Modular note, I'm also super stoked about this module:

Pittsburgh Modular Electronic Sequence Designer 128 - Eurorack Module on ModularGrid

Really looks like the sequencer I've been searching for. Seriously making me think I want to get two!
that Electronic Sequence Designer 128 or the MIDIbox Seq V4+ plus a soundmachines Arches ?

we shot a video about the Pittsburgh link
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
we shot a video about the Pittsburgh link
Ooohhh noice!! Thanks for that video, Reptil! Oof... makes me want that sequencer even more now, hah!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

MIDIbox Seq V4++ - never heard of that. Looks intriguing.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a magnifying glass sitting by my modular at all times. My eyes are **** and there's a couple of makers that use fonts too small for them, Mannequins and Bastl are the worst. But it's also handy installing modules where the red stripe indicator is some tiny obscure little mark. People complain about make noise font but even if you don't like the style at least the labels are big and you can see them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Can relate to the vision issues as well. Even with my glasses I still can't read some of it in the dim lighting I prefer. I end up busting out the phone flashlight, and if it's too small to see period I'll use the phone camera to magnify it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Same here.
But as it's just a need for reading glasses I'm putting glasses on and off all the time. It's a pain, but I need glasses for all my gear now, not just modular.
If you modular companies are listening, how about some accessibility as well as usability consideration... It's accepted and fines are given for internet sites that do not comply with W3 standards... why not modular! We need some people who know how to design interfaces well. I am a product and service designer btw
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search