The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
General Chit Chat Modular Synthesizers
Old 5th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
It DOES make it look different!
I'm on the fence about the Soulsby synths. I think it can sound great. Would like to hear what you do with it.
I haven't dug in too deep with mine yet. A cursory look at the manual makes it easy to figure out how to do most things, just remembering how to do it takes some effort. The coninuous-sampled wavetable effect is pretty cool. Doesn't sound quite as Dalek as the NW1, but rather more mechanical alien. Definitely one of those cases where I bought too many modules at once. This was probably the coolest of the batch but got ignored in favor of trying to figure out what all could be done with the ModBrane since Chrisso started me on a Jomox kick.
Old 5th July 2018
Lives for gear

I don't really get what's particularly interesting about the Jomox, or the Soulsby. Those are way off my radar. I mean, I've seen the names around and maybe read the description once each, and I get the sense that Jomox has fans in the drummachine world, but that's it.

What's their allure and such, if you guys that have hands on experience don't mind...?
Old 5th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think most of us have been that naive at some point. I swear, my goal was going to be a Happy Ending Kit to supplement my Vostok, and that was going to be it.
I was absolutely determined to keep my modular down to 104x7U...that lasted maybe a year.
Old 5th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I don't really get what's particularly interesting about the Jomox, or the Soulsby. Those are way off my radar. I mean, I've seen the names around and maybe read the description once each, and I get the sense that Jomox has fans in the drummachine world, but that's it.

What's their allure and such, if you guys that have hands on experience don't mind...?
Uhm... they're modules. And at the time they were modules I didn't have. I don't understand the question.

Edit: Jokes aside, Jomox ended up on my radar because of Chrisso's Schlappi/God Eater demo:

The main kick you hear early on is BIA, but that really punchy one that comes in later is a Jomox ModBase. That's an expensive module, but I decided after hearing that I had to have the Jomox sound. I'd had the MBase_01 ages back, but that was one fidly device, but Eurorack makes a lot more sense for the format, so it's on my lust wish. Still working on getting a ModBase, but found the ModBrane cheaper than usual, so I figured why not. I was actually really surprised by the ModBrane. I thought it was more of a snare module, but it covers a whole lot of territory including some 808 kicks. I'm also planning to get a BIA and Schlappi Interstellar Radio eventually because I love every element of that demo.

The Soulsby, I just like really weird digital stuff, and that more than fits the description. Weird stuff is what brought me over to Eurorack in the first place.

Last edited by Derp; 5th July 2018 at 07:38 PM..
Old 5th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uhm... they're modules. And at the time they were modules I didn't have. I don't understand the question.
:D
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think most of us have been that naive at some point. I swear, my goal was going to be a Happy Ending Kit to supplement my Vostok, and that was going to be it.

Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
I've been staring at this and giggling for the last twenty minutes. Damn you.
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been staring at this and giggling for the last twenty minutes. Damn you.
I know, I can't stop myself from doing the same thing!
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I was absolutely determined to keep my modular down to 104x7U...that lasted maybe a year.
I thought a HEK and extra row would keep me busy for ages. Then I got a Mantis as soon as I got one module in that 2nd row because I knew it wouldn’t be enough. I thought surely that would be plenty, but then I filled the Mantis and most of the HEK and bought a Structure 420 a few months ago. And I thought that all of that would surely be enough, especially because I have plenty of other semi-modulars and things. And now my plans for all three cases are pretty much occupied and too solid to really change much, and I’m wishing I just had at least 20HP more. I think I’m going to buy a new house once I finally fill that, because I don’t see any other option.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

I must have put together 100+ virtual rigs on MG so far as I pick up modules for real and learn more, try one, think, rethink, redo, etc. Some that include vintage bits like the JP8 VCF, some that intentionally ignore them, some analog, some hybrid, everything really.

I've barely started in modular land and I'm absolutely certain something like 6Ux104hp would never be enough, and it's probably true that three cases like that won't be enough for me either.

There are *way* too many interesting modules that you can't really have in fixed architecture synths at all or at least not with 20 of them, and that's no cheaper and takes up even more space.

#firstworldproblems
Old 9th July 2018
Anyone here has a Giant B0N0? It's almost too large?
nonlinearcircuits: the giant B0N0
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone here has a Giant B0N0? It's almost too large?
nonlinearcircuits: the giant B0N0
Wish I were better at DIY. NLC stuff looks cool. I've got two Sloths and they're just so much freakin' fun.
Old 9th July 2018
Surely there's someone who can build that for you (for a reasonable amount)?
Have to look into the sloths. You can never have too many LFOs.

Never seen this before. looks like a cool filter:

Found it using this map: link I'll put that in the thread picks.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Euro evolution

I decided I wanted my three racks together in one box. With some pine I had and aluminium strip this what I did yesterday. I need to connect up to mixer and TC M one XL reverb I just got which I'm quite excited about. I also added enough space for a 1u utilities row. Now I think this is as far as I want my modest super synth (by some standards) to go. mmm...
Attached Thumbnails
General Chit Chat-20180708_141618.jpg   General Chit Chat-20180708_153230.jpg   General Chit Chat-20180708_184132.jpg   General Chit Chat-20180709_204539.jpg  
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I decided I wanted my three racks together in one box. With some pine I had and aluminium strip this what I did yesterday. I need to connect up to mixer and TC M one XL reverb I just got which I'm quite excited about. I also added enough space for a 1u utilities row. Now I think this is as far as I want my modest super synth (by some standards) to go. mmm...
Looks great. You should build another one to put beside it. They would look great together.

Also... TWO BSP's? Nice!
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks great. You should build another one to put beside it. They would look great together.

Also... TWO BSP's? Nice!
Well I think this is easily enough for me now. I started off wanting an analogue with some different filter flavours; Roland, Korg, Moog, Oberheim ish. While I realise you can't get exactly a certain sound as there are many parameters I like the palette I have. I realise I don't have enough modulation control for my vco's n filters so I pulled and ordered an Octocontroller yesterday so this should sort it out. Finally getting where I want it and work wise I realise I need lots of 'breathing' and thinking space as Euro is messy enough on it's own.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Modulation Sources are my new obsession.

I've graduated to there from a Filter fetish.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Can someone confirm or deny the existance of two modules I'm certain i've seen, yet can't find any evidence anywhere.
the first, Erica Input Module. IIRC I saw it in a PDF of modules they had coming up/out about two years ago.... never saw or heard of it again... can't find the PDF.
the second, Erica Distortion Module. IIRC I saw it in some videos in the last 6 months (Namm or superbooth??). can't see it anywhere or any videos.

any ideas?
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Can someone confirm or deny the existance of two modules I'm certain i've seen, yet can't find any evidence anywhere.
the first, Erica Input Module. IIRC I saw it in a PDF of modules they had coming up/out about two years ago.... never saw or heard of it again... can't find the PDF.
the second, Erica Distortion Module. IIRC I saw it in some videos in the last 6 months (Namm or superbooth??). can't see it anywhere or any videos.

any ideas?
Erica does have a Pico Input module available if that's what you're looking for. As for the distortion module, it's a dual distortion and last I read, it's due out sometime later this year.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Octo

Octocontroller just arrived. Can't believe how small this, I imagined it to be bigger from the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
General Chit Chat-20180710_182832.jpg  
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

I hope this is Modular-enough, but do any of you have one of those Stereo Field Landscape controller things? It seems pretty interesting, but I've never seen one in person.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope this is Modular-enough, but do any of you have one of those Stereo Field Landscape controller things? It seems pretty interesting, but I've never seen one in person.
I know it outputs CV, but isn't its main function as an audio generator? I love weird tactile interfaces, so I'm super interested in this as well.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know it outputs CV, but isn't its main function as an audio generator? I love weird tactile interfaces, so I'm super interested in this as well.
Yeah, it true. But I give zero Fs, the controller part is what's interesting to me.

I was quite surprised to find it isn't crazy expensive.
Old 12th July 2018
Quote:
Modulation Sources are my new obsession.

I've graduated to there from a Filter fetish.
Check the Befaco Muxlicer
Old 12th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post

any ideas?
There's a PICO input module:
EricaSynths - Pico Input
I'm going for the Ladik one myself, and I have a Gozinta.
A-520 4ch line preamp (4HP) – ladik.eu
Old 12th July 2018
Quote:
Yeah, it true. But I give zero Fs, the controller part is what's interesting to me.

I was quite surprised to find it isn't crazy expensive.
Seems to me it's pretty good for experimental stuff.
Quote:
The touch plates connect directly to points in the circuit.
The key to the Stereo Field is feedback.
stereo/quad modular touch plate feedback atonal synthesizer, a stereo/quad audio processor and a pressure sensitive chaotic CV "controller"
Looks very cool.

I saw a Buchla controller clone at Superbooth.

Bodycontact Modulation Weasel fur den Easel | Sequencer.de - Das Synthesizer-Forum
here's a video (which is not really inspiring (to me at least: link

A "Lightstrip" or "Lightplane" from Sound-Machines seems more controllable, more useful to me. (but I admit it looks less cool)
LP1lightplane – soundmachines
Or wait for the "Arches", the big boy. video from SB18
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

That Muxlicer is cool, and flexible. I like it. Thanks, I'd not seen that one before.

That Buchla controller looks like a prop from a Klingon ship on TV.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Erica does have a Pico Input module available if that's what you're looking for. As for the distortion module, it's a dual distortion and last I read, it's due out sometime later this year.
Dual distortion, that's the one!... Available on June 2018

it wasn't the Pico input, it was before any of the Pico were ever announced. IIRC it had a combo XLR/1/4" input.

Quote:
There's a PICO input module:
EricaSynths - Pico Input
I'm going for the Ladik one myself, and I have a Gozinta.
A-520 4ch line preamp (4HP) – ladik.eu
I got a pair of Gozintas recently after your suggestion... always need extra gain! I'm eyeing the upcoming SSF detectRX, but that imaginary erica input module had a few more other features that seemed super desirable.
Old 12th July 2018
I've got these input modules on my "want" list. 4 would do the trick for me. PRE BX – FEEDBACK Modules
There's also a "KM" and "CR" version. Each with it's own distortion and character. It's not expensive either (DIY).
I like that sound. Maybe it's nostalgia.
some techno jam with volcas on a Boss BX desk
You could ask Erica what's up with the input module?
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
A "Lightstrip" or "Lightplane" from Sound-Machines seems more controllable, more useful to me. (but I admit it looks less cool)
LP1lightplane – soundmachines
Or wait for the "Arches", the big boy. video from SB18
I converted my Mother-32 case into this.

It's tons of fun for putting together a pad or a drone and using your fingers to shape the sound on the fly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search