The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dreadbox Hades DIY eurorack kit Desktop Synthesizers
Old 13th November 2017
Gear Addict

Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Dreadbox have announced on their website that they are no longer doing anymore DIY kits, as it is too time consuming.

Fishing about on social network I found that because dreadbox are quite well known an awful lot of first build noobs bought hades DIY and bogged down dreadbox with "problem" questions when the resources could of been used to build/design synths so dreadbox have now threw the towel in.
Old 5th December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Dreadbox have announced on their website that they are no longer doing anymore DIY kits, as it is too time consuming.

Fishing about on social network I found that because dreadbox are quite well known an awful lot of first build noobs bought hades DIY and bogged down dreadbox with "problem" questions when the resources could of been used to build/design synths so dreadbox have now threw the towel in.
oh that's a pity
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear
Such disappointing news! I was really hoping that they would add more and more stuff as DIY - seem to think I read somewhere that all their products are thru-hole anyway so didn't seem like much of a stretch.

The other disappointment is that it means I won't get to build another... IAs mentioned somewhere above, I ended up doing quite an ugly job of it compared to the preceding and subsequent, so thought I'd like to get revenge at some point. Kind of wondering now though if there might not have been "issues" with the pcb that's causing problems - have a bunch of places where the solder-mask has come off and copper is showing that makes it rather easy to make solder bridges. (not to mention the horror that lurks under the power header that I put on the wrong side, where I know I overheated a bit) It's actually due to the Hades that I even know what solder-mask is, so wonder if they might not have had better luck with a different manufacturing process... but I guess it works for them, or they'd discontinue the whole thing.

Hopefully they reconsider eventually, but might be wise of them to have a few other more beginner orientated kits in their lineup... lol... "We won't sell you a Hades, until you send us back a video of this attenuator kit in working order"
Old 6th December 2017
The kit business is hell. They won’t be going back. I saw a video with the guy from Synthesis Technology describing the f’in nightmare the kit business is and why he got out. I’ll try and find it in a bit.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

I just finished my Hades DIY. Tbh, the cheap price is telling. It was one of the lesser pleasant projects. The PCB is rather fragile and prone to be damaged with a hot solder iron. Along with very small solder pads and traces thats a very dangerous combination.

If something goes wrong you dont have the circuit to find a flaw and they dont offer help either.

After finishing it i can say, it sounds very good. Definively worth buying this synth as built module for 210 Euro.
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I just finished my Hades DIY. Tbh, the cheap price is telling. It was one of the lesser pleasant projects. The PCB is rather fragile and prone to be damaged with a hot solder iron. Along with very small solder pads and traces thats a very dangerous combination.

If something goes wrong you dont have the circuit to find a flaw and they dont offer help either.

After finishing it i can say, it sounds very good. Definively worth buying this synth as built module for 210 Euro.
My experience was totally different.

It was my first DIY project and I made some mistakes, but I can tell that the pcb is high quality, forgave all my mistakes and is fairly undamaged. Maybe your solder iron was extremely hot, mine was around 350-400C with no problems. They do provide a circuit schematic and pcb diagrams (top and bottom view) on their website, and when I needed help (although they said that they won't provide any for this kit) they did answer and helped me out.
But I can understand their decision. I guess its not just the preparation time consumption and the troubleshooting emails, lets admit it that kit was too cheap. I mean a fully equipped semi-modular mono synth for the price of a cheap eurorack module. Come on..
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmo View Post
lets admit it that kit was too cheap. I mean a fully equipped semi-modular mono synth for the price of a cheap eurorack module. Come on..
I'd estimate £3 for PCB, £5 for panel and a very generous £30 for components.

When buying Resistors, Capacitors, Transistors etc in bulk you'll find Peanuts are more expensive.
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
I'd estimate £3 for PCB, £5 for panel and a very generous £30 for components.

When buying Resistors, Capacitors, Transistors etc in bulk you'll find Peanuts are more expensive.
Yeah, and a Minimoog is probably around 300euros worth of components, yet people are willing to pay several thousands for it. Are we really having this conversation?
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are we really having this conversation?
Im just thinking the kits stopped not because of price & effort but because of support.

I just wish they'd do just a PCB/Panel no support version.
Old 17th December 2017
Here for the gear

Hades DIY

Hi

I got my Hades some weeks ago and have just started to solder the resistors.
Amazed how fast the package came to Sweden from Greece. They sent is on a monday and the day after at lunch I got the Hades.
Perfect service.

Now I hope the process of building it will succeed

How are your DIY Hades synth project going?

/Pontus
Old 17th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontusGBG View Post
Hi

I got my Hades some weeks ago and have just started to solder the resistors.
Amazed how fast the package came to Sweden from Greece. They sent is on a monday and the day after at lunch I got the Hades.
Perfect service.

Now I hope the process of building it will succeed

How are your DIY Hades synth project going?

/Pontus
Mine is finished. Though i wasnt too pleased with the building process, i am very happy with teh result and also with their customer care.

I've had mine too within 1 day (to Germany).. and when they found out that they mistook some power/midi boards i get a replacement within another day too.

Overall its great synth. Amazing for the money. I just started to plan how to mod it.

Some mods are already included in the DIY version.

I currently plan how to at least implement
  • Sub Outs (jack for sub 1, sub 2),
  • Osc Mix (lvl of main osc signal),
  • Fine tune (because thats really necessary)

I'll report successes and failures
Old 17th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Mine is finished. Though i wasnt too pleased with the building process, i am very happy with teh result and also with their customer care.

I've had mine too within 1 day (to Germany).. and when they found out that they mistook some power/midi boards i get a replacement within another day too.

Overall its great synth. Amazing for the money. I just started to plan how to mod it.

Some mods are already included in the DIY version.

I currently plan how to at least implement
  • Sub Outs (jack for sub 1, sub 2),
  • Osc Mix (lvl of main osc signal),
  • Fine tune (because thats really necessary)

I'll report successes and failures
Fine tune would really be a great mod. Ability to select midi channels would be another! As it stands right now, every time I want to trigger a piece of my gear, the Hades also plays .... a big oversight to not include this if you ask me.
Old 17th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopl View Post
Fine tune would really be a great mod. Ability to select midi channels would be another! As it stands right now, every time I want to trigger a piece of my gear, the Hades also plays .... a big oversight to not include this if you ask me.
I couldnt tell if i wanted to. I didnt build the pwr/midi module. It went straight into eurorack.

Regarding fine tune. I am in the process of considering wether i want an additional fine tune knob or limit the tune knob to a smaller range. The latter would be much easier to do.
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

That fvcking sucks.

Separately, anyone care to make an educated guess as to how hard it would be to mod the Hades kit to allow CV control over the LFO rate rather than the knob?
Old 14th January 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post

Cleverly the little midi->cv converter outputs onto the bus pins of the eurorack cable connector, so their thinking started to make some sense. Anyway, lots of hacky ideas for this extra board too, probably the least of which is that if you are intending to use the Hades in Euro, the little board would require basically no mods to work as a standalone basic midi->CV converter (pitch/gate only but there is bend), all you have to do is wire up some jacks instead of the euro headers and mount it in a cigarette box or something.

Suppose its also worth noting that if you do mount it in euro, and do make use of your bus, you will need to get a 16/10 euro cable if you don't want it to respond...
Newbie/noob here. I'm very interested in what you're saying here.

I've just fitted my Hades in my very first eurorack case. I bought the Doepfer A 100 DIY kit and built the case and now I want to mount the midi->cv converter from the Hades in a seperate module so I can have the midi input (and a cv out) in the case.

What exactly should I do to make this work? Is it just a matter of rewiring the cable connector to a mini jack? What should I do about power? The converter needs to be powered I reckon?

I'm very new to the whole eurorack thing (and also hardware synths in general actually) so I really need to learn the basics here.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BACH View Post
Newbie/noob here. I'm very interested in what you're saying here.

I've just fitted my Hades in my very first eurorack case. I bought the Doepfer A 100 DIY kit and built the case and now I want to mount the midi->cv converter from the Hades in a seperate module so I can have the midi input (and a cv out) in the case.

What exactly should I do to make this work? Is it just a matter of rewiring the cable connector to a mini jack? What should I do about power? The converter needs to be powered I reckon?

I'm very new to the whole eurorack thing (and also hardware synths in general actually) so I really need to learn the basics here.
I'd been thinking of it more as a standalone little box than a module as such, or possibly mounted to the back or side of a little skiff, but I guess you could figure something out ... might still be easiest to locate it elsewhere, and then wire up some jacks to a blank panel... and before I go on, should probably also say I'm a bit conflicted about how much of a reliable power source that is, I'd sort of envisioned it maybe in a little new-module-tester box rather than as a permanent solution.... I didn't even check yet what power actually puts out, it may be quite Hades specific but I guess thats not the topic at hand.

As you say, the converter itself needs power if you want it as a module - not sure the effort to get that working is worth it, you may as well start from scratch - the concept of having power "solved" was part of the appeal, but it might be simpler than I imagine - in general I don't expect things to work fine backwards though.

The power/midi board has an atmega328 chip (see arduino), so the idea of having a little self-powered box with ins and outs that I could experiment with firmware on was what got me excited - its going to be a fairly unsophisticated midi->cv converter as is, but would rather that "free" in the box than some weird plastic statue lo... so while its possible to make it more sophisticated, I guess buying/building an actual module or kenton is the better value option, but as a quick little project it seemed like a fun idea.

Anyway, have a look at the pin-out for eurorack power... the top two lines are the CV/Gate bus (the opposite side to the red stripe). All you have to do is wire those two into some jacks (probably off the back of the board) and you're good to go.
Old 18th January 2018
I have problem with vco tracking..
Actually its awful. I can't even play 2 notes a fifth apart and get proper tracking.
I tried retuning it from the trimmer and then the panel tune knob several times, no luck.
I even repositioned the matched transistors and the tempco resistor for better heat transferring and shielded them together with a heat shrink.
i start to believe that the tempco resistor might not be tempco after all.
Any suggestions guys?
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have problem with vco tracking..
Actually its awful. I can't even play 2 notes a fifth apart and get proper tracking.
I tried retuning it from the trimmer and then the panel tune knob several times, no luck.
I even repositioned the matched transistors and the tempco resistor for better heat transferring and shielded them together with a heat shrink.
i start to believe that the tempco resistor might not be tempco after all.
Any suggestions guys?
Polypropylen caps instead of polyester one that was in kit. Read it on construction manual. It helped me a little bit with tuning osc.
Old 18th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstate View Post
Polypropylen caps instead of polyester one that was in kit. Read it on construction manual. It helped me a little bit with tuning osc.
Hi, yeah I used a WIMA polypropylene 4n7 from day one, its not that.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Nut

Can someone shed some light as to how I can use the HADES to be a MIDI to CV converter driving my SH-101? I would like to use DAW to send the notes to SH-101 by way of the HADES. Is that even possible? I tried a few way last night but nothing seemed to of work.

edit.
never mind... it works, not sure what was wrong at first as I'm not doing anything different now, connecting 1V/OCT and GATE to the 101 does the trick.
Old 1st February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Regarding fine tune. I am in the process of considering wether i want an additional fine tune knob or limit the tune knob to a smaller range. The latter would be much easier to do.
Though a fine tune would be nice limiting the span of the Tune-knob to around two octaves would be good enough for me. But how do I do it? Is it simply done by increasing the value of the resistor before the Tune-knob?
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NielsGordon View Post
Though a fine tune would be nice limiting the span of the Tune-knob to around two octaves would be good enough for me. But how do I do it? Is it simply done by increasing the value of the resistor before the Tune-knob?
i dont know exactly where it sat.. but yes.. it was one resistor from 4,7k to 47k or 47k to 470k .. cant remember exactly anymore.
Old 4th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
i dont know exactly where it sat.. but yes.. it was one resistor from 4,7k to 47k or 47k to 470k .. cant remember exactly anymore.
I tried various things and finally found that changing the resistor just after the Tune-knob (R52 in the schematics where to buy - Dreadbox Synthesizers https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/wp-conte...chematic-1.pdf p-content/uploads/2017/10/HADES-diy-schematic-1.pdf ) from 100k to a higher value fixed it. I settled on 330k which gave good enough control and about 4 octave range on the knob, plus a quite low C when the Tune knob it turned almost fully to the right. Changing to 470k gave better control but then I lacked the low C.

I tried it towards the Doepfer A-110 with the range set to 0 as a reference. And the Hades with 330k resistance don’t go quite as low. But I guess that’s a drawback I could live with.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NielsGordon View Post
I tried various things and finally found that changing the resistor just after the Tune-knob (R52 in the schematics where to buy - Dreadbox Synthesizers https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/wp-conte...chematic-1.pdf p-content/uploads/2017/10/HADES-diy-schematic-1.pdf ) from 100k to a higher value fixed it. I settled on 330k which gave good enough control and about 4 octave range on the knob, plus a quite low C when the Tune knob it turned almost fully to the right. Changing to 470k gave better control but then I lacked the low C.

I tried it towards the Doepfer A-110 with the range set to 0 as a reference. And the Hades with 330k resistance don’t go quite as low. But I guess that’s a drawback I could live with.
Thank you for reporting back.

With 470k i have a little more then an octave down and an octave up. I can go lower or higher by using a precision adder.

But your 330k setting sounds intersting too. Especially that it gives low C. I am going to try this next weekend.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Now that the Erabus kit is out, do you think this will ever return?

The addition of drive and sync make the Hades pretty interesting to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoTheMu View Post
Now that the Erabus kit is out, do you think this will ever return?

The addition of drive and sync make the Hades pretty interesting to me.
The drive is really nothing to phone home about. The Sync input is there, but i never used it so far, because the focus of this synth-voice with 2 SubOsc stages is so very different.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
No, nothing special about it.... Actually the options are:
- external power : do nothing
- external OR euro : add 1K
- euro only: jumper the gap

The little power/midi board is quite interesting though... I'd missed the midi at first because its not on the front panel and separated off on the little board which I thought was a bit of a weird decision, but was interested to see if would be possible to piggyback another module or two off the power supply....

I'll get back to that idea later, but cleverly the little midi->cv converter outputs onto the bus pins of the eurorack cable connector, so their thinking started to make some sense. Anyway, lots of hacky ideas for this extra board too, probably the least of which is that if you are intending to use the Hades in Euro, the little board would require basically no mods to work as a standalone basic midi->CV converter (pitch/gate only but there is bend), all you have to do is wire up some jacks instead of the euro headers and mount it in a cigarette box or something.

Suppose its also worth noting that if you do mount it in euro, and do make use of your bus, you will need to get a 16/10 euro cable if you don't want it to respond...
Hey! Did you manage to try this? I found that the Hades DIY drains 500mA with the PSU but only 70mA in the +12V and 65mA in the -12V when Rack mounted.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search