The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Favourite Euro drum module
Old 14th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by base615 View Post
Cheers,.

It’s great for closed hat type sounds, but I find it difficult to get stuff like rides or even open hats out of my BIA without adding some undesirable sounds so use the TTA Hats808 For hats most of the time and for longer decaying stuff I’m usually on samples or badly approximating with noise, envelopes, vcas etc.

Chimera looked like it could do everything from hats, rides, crashes, chimes etc all the way to broken glass effects.
In that case, Chimera is a great choice.
Old 14th October 2018
Lives for gear

Speaking of drums, i spotted this drum sequencer at Synthfest 2018 Transistor labs booth (don't know if it's old news)

Old 15th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Speaking of drums, i spotted this drum sequencer at Synthfest 2018 Transistor labs booth (don't know if it's old news)

Haven't seen this before. Should be interesting. Stepper Acid is still on my watch list.
Old 21st July 2019
M32
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, i had a real tr 808 and an xbase 09 on loan from a friend, but he wants them back.
I'm really going to miss the xbase kick, i loved the amount of shaping and versatillity it offered. Also it had a way of working with non-electronic music and styles as well, not sounding too techno-ish.

So i was thinking of a eurorack replacement, there is the jomox module, but what are your recommendations for bassdrum modules these days?

I don't care about interfacing much, important are analog sound, and tweakability - versatility
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Maybe then the JoMoX module is right for you, as its strongest downside is the somewhat buggy interface. It sounds different than other kickdrum modules, including all the 909 based options... The 909 kicks are softer/ more fluffy than the JoMoX. The JoMoX when dialed in to sound „soft“ sounds way different.
Old 21st July 2019
DSC
Gear Maniac

Love these DR-220's! Finally was able to wedge another one into my big portable! Also squeezed a Trigger Riot in there too. The two are inseparable Running it through the Eventide Space module while modulating the 'size' parameter is fun.
Old 22nd July 2019
I'm selling my Jomox 09 module - to fund a Pulsar.
Never noticed anything buggy about it (???).
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Addict

i love cwejman bld-2 and i want to try to layer it with jomox modbase
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

The Modbase is toward the top of my wishlist to pair up with the ModBrane. It just sucks that when I have the money, they're never around, and when I don't have the money, they're all over the place. Chrisso did a really good demo a while back with the God Eater pedal, Jomox, and BIA. Speaking of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I'm selling my Jomox 09 module - to fund a Pulsar.
Never noticed anything buggy about it (???).
Why sell the Jomox, though? You made it sound so good and invited gearlust into my life with it!
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

My favorite kick module lately surprised me: The TipTop 909 Kick. I didn't think I was that big of a 909 fan, and that module is super limited, but it's really fun to mess around with, plays great with effects, and slots nicely into a mix.
Old 24th July 2019
Pretty keen on picking up a Pulsar from Soma Labs. $1200 or more? So some things have to go.
Old 28th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
The Modbase is toward the top of my wishlist to pair up with the ModBrane. It just sucks that when I have the money, they're never around, and when I don't have the money, they're all over the place.
hehe same with me
Old 29th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Pretty keen on picking up a Pulsar from Soma Labs. $1200 or more? So some things have to go.
Sell something that isn't as usable then. Like a kidney!
Old 30th July 2019
Quote:
€1785 at Schneidersladen. But probably sold out when released. Everwhere and for a while.

Too bad I have no gear to sell
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

I'm on the Pulsar list. Can't wait.

Right now all I have for dedicated percussion modules is the DFAM (with the Mux, Burst, PEG, and STE.16 to accompany it all). And I have a Pithoprakta coming in soon, too.

But these others are on my short list. Added that EMW to the list lately after reading this thread and @ Derp 's suggestion:

Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
Love this setup so far!

I've never been sure but are those drum modules just sample playback?
Old 31st July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT75 View Post
€1785 at Schneidersladen.
'Estimated maximum' - but yeah, that would make it a non starter for me.
I'd be willing to pay 1500.
Old 2nd August 2019
Gear Addict
I dig the Prok drum modules, avalable at Thonk. Only diy, but i´m sure there are builders that can fix you up if needed.
Old 7th August 2019
IEC
Gear Head

shout out for the mutant drums, they are probably a bit "old school" in euro terms now, but how can you ever get sick of an 808??
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
how can you ever get sick of an 808??
I used to hate the 808 sound. But so many euro drums are modeled after 808 drums that I kinda grew to like that sound. Go figure.
Old 7th August 2019
IEC
Gear Head

i suppose it was so widely used that there was some real bad 808 stuff out there... kicks like a mouth full of mud

used tastefully its pretty timeless tho
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

It happens. Metallica and Kirk wore me out on the Em key in Rock/Metal, Em Pentatonic for leads, and distorted Wah, for years.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to hate the 808 sound. But so many euro drums are modeled after 808 drums that I kinda grew to like that sound. Go figure.

i'm kinda starting to like the 909 kick. it sounds so banging and bad ass, and punchy.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Nut
For me 909 punch if really something, but I find samples vinyl kicks and clipped kicks the best mixed in. The old "909 clipped on a mixer" sound too. Interesting to hear how different devices have a very different sound when it comes to clipping kicks or anything.

My favorite now is my Tascam Portastudio clip, it reminds me of an SP-1200 kinda sound, very dirty and punchy.

I cannot imagine a more boring kick than a vanila 808 to be honest. It's like a pure sine wave almost.
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
For me 909 punch if really something, but I find samples vinyl kicks and clipped kicks the best mixed in. The old "909 clipped on a mixer" sound too. Interesting to hear how different devices have a very different sound when it comes to clipping kicks or anything.

My favorite now is my Tascam Portastudio clip, it reminds me of an SP-1200 kinda sound, very dirty and punchy.

I cannot imagine a more boring kick than a vanila 808 to be honest. It's like a pure sine wave almost.

i rolled my own "808" i simply pitch shifted an osc with an env and then an env on a vca, not the same env.

but there is only so much you can do with this method and it quickly runs out of punch imo. and i have 2 different compressors for it. dedicated only for kick. but to be honest the compressors can at most raise the volume of the kick but they cannot make it bang better in relation to other sounds. because they ****ing compress it!!!

now if i was on a blutooth speaker and 2 white earbuds i might feel it was more banging after the compressor. but it turns out my bass system can play 120db or so down to 5hz. it can even play 1hz at 100db or so. and then compressors dont do much good for bang.

sp yeah i'm in the market for the mutant 909 based kick. and will get it soon. and then i will layer it with my home rolled 808 and turn up the vol to 11. or to over 9000.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Maniac
I am trying to decide on what kick module to get as there are so many choices on the market, but i want something that is ideal for hard techno. I could add a little distortion from another module if needs be. I guess the Jomox modbase 09 is perfect though a little expensive? Any others i should consider?

Been using my BIA but looking for something different to complement it.

In the DAW i usually roll my own, I never use a 909 samples, and 808 style is totally wrong.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
i'm kinda starting to like the 909 kick. it sounds so banging and bad ass, and punchy.
Same. I bought the TipTop 909 drums just for the hell of it, and now whenever I sit down at the modular to goof-off, I'm usually overdriving them through a mixer. They sound sooooo good in a mix.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same. I bought the TipTop 909 drums just for the hell of it, and now whenever I sit down at the modular to goof-off, I'm usually overdriving them through a mixer. They sound sooooo good in a mix.
I use the TipTop 808 kick on pretty much everything.

It fits everywhere and sounds amazing. Great value as well.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

I'm surprised the Mutant versions of the 808 and 909 kicks and other instruments aren't more popular. They seem pretty great, at that, to me.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I'm surprised the Mutant versions of the 808 and 909 kicks and other instruments aren't more popular. They seem pretty great, at that, to me.
Probably the price. The Mutant BD9 costs twice as much as the TipTop version. Obviously also has more options.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search