The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Favourite Euro drum module
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I hadn't heard of this one before, but an analog eurorack version of the ER-1 sounds wonderful to me. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding any demos. Are there any you know of, or any of your own work you can share that uses the module?
Never noticed he didn't have any demos of it out there. I guess this was an impulse buy for me.

Anywho, this one uses the Drum Synth on the kick (I think):

This has the drum synth on the kick, and someone asked about the Snare Lab 101; it's on this track. If I remember correctly, the drums were submixed and then overdriven.

And here's another where I use it as a kick drum. This time the EMW Fixed Frequency Filter and EMW Compressor are used to give it that rubbery sound.

So yeah, in vids I use it as a kick drum a lot. I might have to make a demo vid that shows the range of what it can do.
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Guru

Found one where I think it's doing the snare because I know that kick was Peaks. Whole drum section was treated with Warps being modulated by an envelope.

Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

@ Derp those were awesome. Bumped the EMW module way up my GAS list. You should make that demo video
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

The Loquelic Iteritas Percido is high up on my Euro list.
Old 9th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
@ Derp those were awesome. Bumped the EMW module way up my GAS list. You should make that demo video
I almost did it this weekend, but I was feeling lazy.
Old 9th October 2017
Gear Guru

Got the DS-M and Transient this weekend.

The DS-M is cool, though a little limited in what it can do. It does good kicks and toms, but it feels like a struggle to get a good snare out of it in spite of the different colors of noise on it.

The Future Retro Transient... I normally love every module that comes through my hands, but the Transient isn't one of those. Don't get me wrong, it can sound great and is very powerful and capable, but the way to program your sounds on it is tedious. For programming, it's one push-button encoder knob and a whole slew of parameters with a ton of options. It's not as tedious as programming say an E-Mu ROMpler, but that's not for lack of trying. I'd really only recommend this module to people with a whole ton of patience because it sounds good, but it's a lot of work to get there. Tons of presets, but I don't think many of them really show what this thing is really capable of.
Old 9th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

The Future Retro Transient... I normally love every module that comes through my hands, but the Transient isn't one of those. Don't get me wrong, it can sound great and is very powerful and capable, but the way to program your sounds on it is tedious. For programming, it's one push-button encoder knob and a whole slew of parameters with a ton of options. It's not as tedious as programming say an E-Mu ROMpler, but that's not for lack of trying. I'd really only recommend this module to people with a whole ton of patience because it sounds good, but it's a lot of work to get there. Tons of presets, but I don't think many of them really show what this thing is really capable of.
Yeah I was really hot for this until I saw the editing stuff, not my thing at all...
Old 9th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yeah I was really hot for this until I saw the editing stuff, not my thing at all...
Yeah, if you're looking at the O_C thinking it's too much tedium, then stay the hell away from Transient. The O_C programming looks cumbersome, but actually makes a lot of sense and is easy to navigate. Programming the Transient is like programming a DX7, but without the buttons to get between menus.
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

There. Be happy and joyful and crap.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

There. Be happy and joyful and crap.
That's awesome. Time for me to get a bigger case so I can snatch one of those up. Thanks for making that!
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Maniac

thoughts about Erica Synths Techno System ?
Old 6th October 2018
When finances allow I will be picking up a couple of the Erica modules.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

The Erica looks interesting but when watching a demo of the kick drum, I got the impression that the parameter ranges were extended in a way that would make it only more difficult for my use cases to hit the sweet spot. Maybe some other of their modules I might buy. Toms/ Congas covering timbres from 808 to 909 would be highly appreciated but never seem to be on any manufacturer‘s list.
Old 6th October 2018
909 Toms are offered by both Erica Synths and Tip Top.
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Head

SY0.5 looks interesting.

Old 6th October 2018
Pretty nice.
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Addict

Rabid Elephant are working on a Kick module, I am pretty curious what it will sound like.

Preview of Portal Kick | Rabid Elephant on Patreon
Old 6th October 2018
So many kick modules now. It's going to be tough to stand out.
Still....good luck to them.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, my search for a kick module ended with the Entity which produces utter devastation. Can't see how this could improve on that.
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
So many kick modules now. It's going to be tough to stand out.
Still....good luck to them.
They did a unique job on the Natural Gate, let's see if their Kick will be special too.
Old 6th October 2018
DSC
Gear Maniac

Pushin' a different direction with these. Slightly modified Trigger Riot and heavily modified DR-220.

Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
909 Toms are offered by both Erica Synths and Tip Top.
I like the sound of the 808 toms and don‘t want three separate voices of 909 toms as I rarely would use more than one at once.
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Guru

The 2HP Kick, Snare, and Hat have recently grabbed my attention. Not many demos out there, but they sound like they've got a pretty large range on them in spite of minimal controls. My ModBrane crapped out on me, so I'm not in as big a rush to get the ModBase.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

I've got Entity BD, BIA, Plonk and 2HP Hats among others.

They're all excellent in their own way, but I can highly recommend the hats module. It simplistic but has a large sweet spot. Really like it.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
Pushin' a different direction with these. Slightly modified Trigger Riot and heavily modified DR-220.

Wow the DR-220 mod is genius, amazing!
Old 9th October 2018
DSC
Gear Maniac

Thanks I need to post some audio of that combo. I use 'mute' circuit bends and it has taught me so much about timing.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

For hats the Acidlab module is my favourite so far but it‘s a huge module and despite having three volume knobs, it doesn‘t have a mix out.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone tried the WMD Chimera? It looks like the metal sounds module to end all others.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by base615 View Post
Anyone tried the WMD Chimera? It looks like the metal sounds module to end all others.
I have one and really like it, but am still not quite sure if I’m underutilizing it or only really find a handful of sweet spots I like with it. Probably both. It’s my go-to for hats and things, but I got a BIA a few months after and maybe would have held off on the Chimera if I’d gone in a different order. Assuming you mean “metal” as in metallic sounds and not , I find the BIA a bit closer to that, especially given how you can sculpt the sound...but honestly, having both together gives a crazy amount of sounds.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have one and really like it, but am still not quite sure if I’m underutilizing it or only really find a handful of sweet spots I like with it. Probably both. It’s my go-to for hats and things, but I got a BIA a few months after and maybe would have held off on the Chimera if I’d gone in a different order. Assuming you mean “metal” as in metallic sounds and not , I find the BIA a bit closer to that, especially given how you can sculpt the sound...but honestly, having both together gives a crazy amount of sounds.
Cheers,.

It’s great for closed hat type sounds, but I find it difficult to get stuff like rides or even open hats out of my BIA without adding some undesirable sounds so use the TTA Hats808 For hats most of the time and for longer decaying stuff I’m usually on samples or badly approximating with noise, envelopes, vcas etc.

Chimera looked like it could do everything from hats, rides, crashes, chimes etc all the way to broken glass effects.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search