The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Z-DSP?
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Maniac
Z-DSP?

Hi!

I've been wondering about this one for a while:

It's been around for a while, but it still seems like the best reverb available in Euro. What do people think about the Z-DSP in 2017? Getting long in the tooth or still worth every penny?
Old 28th September 2017
Here for the gear

It's still good IMO. It takes up too much space and the faceplate-design is dated and rather ugly, but it can do a lot. It still deserves its place. Stepping through the algo's can be fun, the feedback is useful, controlling the speed of the processor is cool. Still sounds very good depending on the algorithm, lots of extreme digital textures are obtainable. If it were designed today, they would make it smaller hp-wise and allow larger banks of algorithms.... I know there's a way to even burn your own cards so you could put you personal best-of on a single card, but seems too much of a hassle. All in all, if you can find one used for a good price and you have the space in your rack, you could still go for it, but don't be too surprised if a ZDPSmk2 or equivalent pops up at the next NAMM or so.
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Maniac
Yeah, makes sense. I find good reverbs in Eurorack are very few and far between, and this is one of my finalists. I don't really have another finalist :D Erbe-Verb and Black Hole DSP weren't what I was looking for. There's of course spring reverb, but that, I find, doesn't really lend itself to "general reverb duties" that well. Your mileage may vary.

The cards other than Valhalla ones are a bit under the radar, and I'm finding it difficult to decide which ones are really interesting. But, the Valhalla ones are really what I'm after right now.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not really sold on any of the reverbs in euro. In term of quality I think the best way to go is still guitar pedal (Eventide, Strymon, etc.) + something like the ALM S.B.G to get some basic CV control. I'm not sure why there isn't more quality effects in the format. Strymon's attempt at modular fizzled out and I'm not that impressed with the new Eventide delay module (it appears to be mono only!?). Seems like a missed opportunity.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm not really sold on any of the reverbs in euro. In term of quality I think the best way to go is still guitar pedal (Eventide, Strymon, etc.) + something like the ALM S.B.G to get some basic CV control. I'm not sure why there isn't more quality effects in the format. Strymon's attempt at modular fizzled out and I'm not that impressed with the new Eventide delay module (it appears to be mono only!?). Seems like a missed opportunity.
I always thought the SBG was the way to go and I was going to get a Space until I started digging in. The SBG is only mono dammit!
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Z-DSP owner here, but I've only got the Dragonfly and the Clocked Delays cards. I'm kind of underwhelmed by the delays, but it's a cool interface, so I plan to try other cards later on.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

wow now in euro stuff is dated after a few years as well...almost like plugins huh?

I am not the biggest euro slut but the z-dsp I REALLY like. I wouldn't buy it for "reverb" duties alone though but all the different cards (including some "self-burned" ones with "home made algos") make me feel like a kid in a sweet shop every time i use it...

don't know too many modular reverbs apart from the ones mentionned either...

question would be how OP "plays" the modular?

a) into a mixer with sends? buy a nice pedal or oto bim for the send. or a vrs23 it even has one cv control input.

b) into daw? plugins! parameters can even be cv-controlled with some exptert sleepers modules...
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

I've got a couple reverbs in Euro and the only one that consistently wows me really is the Verbtronic and the Plate algorithm on the Flame FX-16. Aeverb (mkI) and RT60 have their uses, but they're not very good on send/receive doodies.
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
wow now in euro stuff is dated after a few years as well...almost like plugins huh?

I am not the biggest euro slut but the z-dsp I REALLY like. I wouldn't buy it for "reverb" duties alone though but all the different cards (including some "self-burned" ones with "home made algos") make me feel like a kid in a sweet shop every time i use it...

don't know too many modular reverbs apart from the ones mentionned either...

question would be how OP "plays" the modular?

a) into a mixer with sends? buy a nice pedal or oto bim for the send. or a vrs23 it even has one cv control input.

b) into daw? plugins! parameters can even be cv-controlled with some exptert sleepers modules...
Hehe - I hear you! I know it shouldn’t be about the number of years since a module has been launched; the module is good or it isn’t.

I probably would have an Eventide H9, but I’d like to keep to Eurorack as much as possible, to keep the amount of separate boxes to a minimum.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

I just pulled the trigger on a Halls of Valhalla cartridge. I'll let you guys know what I think when it gets here. Demos are promising.
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I just pulled the trigger on a Halls of Valhalla cartridge. I'll let you guys know what I think when it gets here. Demos are promising.
Well, I was just about to say something about you having the Z-DSP but not the Valhalla cartridge...
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got a couple reverbs in Euro and the only one that consistently wows me really is the Verbtronic and the Plate algorithm on the Flame FX-16. Aeverb (mkI) and RT60 have their uses, but they're not very good on send/receive doodies.
Almost forgot; there's a REALLY good reverb on the Clouds if you install Parasites. The Oliverb mode is beautiful and lush. Sounds like an old Lexicon.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Almost forgot; there's a REALLY good reverb on the Clouds if you install Parasites. The Oliverb mode is beautiful and lush. Sounds like an old Lexicon.
Everyone should have Parasites on their Clouds, even if they aren’t interested in the extra modes. It moves the reverb pre-granular in the chain instead of the stock, post-granular processing.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

really wish we'd get a new reverb module with lots of depth & lots of cv control.
the SV-1, spin chip reverbs leave a lot to be desired
zdsp seem pretty dated, even the valhalla chip pales to the vst version (the coding is different...)

give us an eventide space or strymon with cv control!

I have a springray with the 3 tanks, pretty happy with that.
Old 29th September 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The Verbtronic seems really interesting. What do you use it for? I'm basically after a reverb that allows me to do big spaces, dubby stuff and things of that nature

How would you describe the sound? Seems like PGH themselves emphasize the non-natural vibe of the module.
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
The Verbtronic seems really interesting. What do you use it for? I'm basically after a reverb that allows me to do big spaces, dubby stuff and things of that nature

How would you describe the sound? Seems like PGH themselves emphasize the non-natural vibe of the module.
Yeah, it's very unnatural. Kind of like a spring reverb but with more control over it in Verb mode, and Tronic is just weird in a good way. I think what I like most about it is the feedback and tonal tilt controls and how they can push it so far into strange territory. Sounds really good on drones in particular, I've found.
Old 3rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by josker View Post
Well, I was just about to say something about you having the Z-DSP but not the Valhalla cartridge...
Just arrived yesterday. That thing is amazing. I had a lot of fun recording farts into my phone and then running them through the GIGGLEBUBBLEGIG algorithm with max wetness (the effect, not the fart.) I'd bring my mom into the room and play it back for her so she could hear these beautiful washes of sound, and then I'd turn the mix back to completely dry (again, the effect, not the fart) so she could be mortified at the source material. LOL DOMESTIC TERRORISM!!!
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Maniac
That is ... Incredible –would actually make for a great marketing video for Halls of Valhalla. :D

"No matter the source sound"
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Addict
What are the format of the files residing on a Z-DSP card?
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
What are the format of the files residing on a Z-DSP card?
Some sort of magic, I believe.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search