The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show Us Your Modular Grid Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th September 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Show Us Your Modular Grid

Because porn is nice, but sometimes you just want to see how your neighbor is doing it.



Derp's Compensation for his Small Penis - Eurorack Modular System from terminalhk on ModularGrid

Also note: There's no need to repost the same racks when they get an upgraded because the screenshots refresh when the rack changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-derps-compensation-his-small-penis.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Synthrotek 7U:

Left Brain - Eurorack Modular System from ngarjuna on ModularGrid

Dark Modular 6U:

Right Brain - Eurorack Modular System from ngarjuna on ModularGrid

DIY Road Case:

Brain Stem - Eurorack Modular System from ngarjuna on ModularGrid
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-ngarjuna1.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-ngarjuna2.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-ngarjuna3.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
How does the pair of Pitts hold up to the Cranial Saw?
Old 25th September 2017
  #4
Sorry. Mine’s too big even for gear porn.
Old 25th September 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
ngarjuna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
How does the pair of Pitts hold up to the Cranial Saw?
They each have their strengths and weaknesses. The Cranial Saw is one of my favorite/most go-to VCOs but the Pittsburghs fill in a lot of features that it's missing.

The Cranial Saw is, as far as I'm concerned, about the best hard sync VCO in Euro. Sure lots of VCOs have a hard sync input but some of them don't want to sync very well (lookin' at you Pittsburgh Oscillators!); and having those functions available with minimal patching is very, very nice. Throw in the CV inputs (for both or one of the VCOs) and the glide control (also assignable to one or both of the VCOs) you get a pair of VCOs that are ready to cross mod without a lot of fuss. It's also a huge VCO; without getting carried away I generally prefer its sound to any other VCO I own; full of character. I think you're the fan of the Analog Solutions VCOs; this is just a variation of those in a different form factor if I understood Tom's email correctly.

The Cranial Saw lacks, however, TRI and SIN outs (SAW, SQR and SUB only). It also lacks dedicated SAW outs (you can only get SAWs out of the mixer). It is marketed as a bass oscillator; personally I've not found the point where it stops tracking well (not that I've tried much) but it's not an ideal choice for higher registers. And of course it's friggin' huge, for a lot of people that's entirely too much real estate for a pair of VCOs and a simple mixer (for me the space is what makes it such a joy to use, though; kind of the antithesis of the usual fiddly Eurorack knob clusters).

Tracks very well, holds tune well. Holds master tune (the coarse tune range is fairly small to begin with), I rarely have to adjust master tune unless I messed with it.

The Pittsburgh Oscillators are rowdy little guys. The number one problem (and the reason they've become more auxiliary to my setup) is that the coarse tune knob is SO DAMNED EASY to knock out of place. I have to hold my breath when my hand goes anywhere near a Pitts Osc and pray I don't knock it out of tune. This has a small upside, it's an amazing full range oscillator if you need to wiggle from slower LFO speeds all the way up to high register quickly; a quick flick of the wrist can take you 5+ octaves. Annoying for precision tuning, awesome for long sweeping. I still regret not having DSC convert at least one or two of them into 10 turn pot mods; could have kept one for crazy spin tricks but I don't need three VCOs with that kind of action. And it's not just when you're going in to spin the wheel; plugging in a cable to the module next door is a great way to bump the coarse tune knob.

The SIN is filthy. I could probably trim it into better shape but I kind of expected the SINs to be that way so they were always an afterthought for me. I don't want to risk the other shapes (which sound quite beefy and nice) just to get a slightly less crappy SIN, I've got TRI core VCOs for them. And as I mentioned I get weird results when I've tried to sync them (and it's not just me being an idiot, I can make the Intellijel Rubicon sync just fine).

Track pretty well (it's hard to judge the tracking when the tuning is so loose, even with the fine tune it's very hard to dial in PRECISELY to the cent; the pots are just a bit loose for my taste). I'm not sure if the master tune really needs adjusting each use or if those coarse tune knobs inevitably get bumped and nudged so much that it becomes a practical necessity; but I rarely can power up and patch a Pittsburgh without tuning it. It's a strong performer sound wise: good, dirty sounding SAW core VCO.
Old 25th September 2017
  #6
JHC
mine's changing. I'm in the middle of shedding my skin. I now have to change some more then post, ok?
Old 25th September 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredlost View Post
Sorry. Mine’s too big even for gear porn.
Old 25th September 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
This one is my "performance" case; A MDLR Cases 12u designed as a complete system for taking out of the studio to jam with friends, etc. It's paired with an Analog Rytm for percussion voices.



This one is my overflow rack. I'll switch modules between the two cases from time to time.



Asides from the Analog Rytm, I use a Beat Step Pro for additional sequencing or sequencing the sequencers.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-void23_1.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-void23_2.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #9
rlg
Gear Maniac
 
rlg's Avatar
 

Always a work in progress, but this is mine right now, living in a Pittsburgh Modular Structure 360 case. This version is very integrated with Ableton Live and Max, which handles all sequencing and a few extra LFOs via the Expert Sleepers and Endorphin.es modules. 12 audio channels return to Live via the ES-8 and a MOTU 1248, mixed and controlled with a Push.

Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-rlg.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
My synth rack

EP-420 - Eurorack Modular System from subdo on ModularGrid


My 500 series rack

Errors on ModularGrid
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-subdo1.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-subdo2.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
This rack is mainly to support my Two Voice Pro and my Dominion-1. Its not fully built yet (obviously) and i dont know exactly what else will be in it when its done.

I follow the principle to only expand when i find no other way to do what i want.



Plan your modular synthesizer rack on ModularGrid

The Stompz is not really in there. Its a placeholder for a multiple with different jacks to interface TVP's input section. I've designed and built it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-coorec.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
 

here's where i'm at now
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-oinkbanana.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Still have quite a few HP left.

Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-ericj.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #14
Gear Nut
 
Richie Witch's Avatar

Rack is full! Time to get a bigger one!
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-richiewitch.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Witch View Post
Rack is full! Time to get a bigger one!
Thats the spirit
Old 25th September 2017
  #16
Still got room for the Batumi...
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-tmt75.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
XAXAU's Avatar
 

How do you show your rack? Noob
Old 25th September 2017
  #18
This is me...

slaughtrhaus current modular rig - Eurorack Modular System from Slaughtrhaus on ModularGrid
note: Case is actually 169HPx3 but modulargrid won't let me show it.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-slaughtrhaus.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
How do you show your rack? Noob
Go to your rack on Modulargrid. On drop down menus, go to "Show Screenshot". Copy the screenshot's web url and paste into Gearslutz "insert image" dialog and hit ok.
Old 25th September 2017
  #20
Lives for gear
 
XAXAU's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Go to your rack on Modulargrid. On drop down menus, go to "Show Screenshot". Copy the screenshot's web url and paste into Gearslutz "insert image" dialog and hit ok.
Ah, I thought it wouldn't update that way! Cheers!
Old 25th September 2017
  #21
Lives for gear
 
XAXAU's Avatar
 

Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-xaxau.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
Ah, I thought it wouldn't update that way! Cheers!
It does, but you have to generate a new screenshot in order for it to update anywhere you've got it posted. Weird way of doing it, but who can argue with the magic that is MG?
Old 25th September 2017
  #23
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Here's mine. It's in a state of evolution at the moment and may get sold off entirely. I have 2 other modules not shown that are already on the chopping block.

Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-gruvsyco.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: -
Old 25th September 2017
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
They each have their strengths and weaknesses. The Cranial Saw is one of my favorite/most go-to VCOs but the Pittsburghs fill in a lot of features that it's missing.

The Cranial Saw is, as far as I'm concerned, about the best hard sync VCO in Euro. Sure lots of VCOs have a hard sync input but some of them don't want to sync very well (lookin' at you Pittsburgh Oscillators!); and having those functions available with minimal patching is very, very nice. Throw in the CV inputs (for both or one of the VCOs) and the glide control (also assignable to one or both of the VCOs) you get a pair of VCOs that are ready to cross mod without a lot of fuss. It's also a huge VCO; without getting carried away I generally prefer its sound to any other VCO I own; full of character. I think you're the fan of the Analog Solutions VCOs; this is just a variation of those in a different form factor if I understood Tom's email correctly.

The Cranial Saw lacks, however, TRI and SIN outs (SAW, SQR and SUB only). It also lacks dedicated SAW outs (you can only get SAWs out of the mixer). It is marketed as a bass oscillator; personally I've not found the point where it stops tracking well (not that I've tried much) but it's not an ideal choice for higher registers. And of course it's friggin' huge, for a lot of people that's entirely too much real estate for a pair of VCOs and a simple mixer (for me the space is what makes it such a joy to use, though; kind of the antithesis of the usual fiddly Eurorack knob clusters).

Tracks very well, holds tune well. Holds master tune (the coarse tune range is fairly small to begin with), I rarely have to adjust master tune unless I messed with it.

The Pittsburgh Oscillators are rowdy little guys. The number one problem (and the reason they've become more auxiliary to my setup) is that the coarse tune knob is SO DAMNED EASY to knock out of place. I have to hold my breath when my hand goes anywhere near a Pitts Osc and pray I don't knock it out of tune. This has a small upside, it's an amazing full range oscillator if you need to wiggle from slower LFO speeds all the way up to high register quickly; a quick flick of the wrist can take you 5+ octaves. Annoying for precision tuning, awesome for long sweeping. I still regret not having DSC convert at least one or two of them into 10 turn pot mods; could have kept one for crazy spin tricks but I don't need three VCOs with that kind of action. And it's not just when you're going in to spin the wheel; plugging in a cable to the module next door is a great way to bump the coarse tune knob.

The SIN is filthy. I could probably trim it into better shape but I kind of expected the SINs to be that way so they were always an afterthought for me. I don't want to risk the other shapes (which sound quite beefy and nice) just to get a slightly less crappy SIN, I've got TRI core VCOs for them. And as I mentioned I get weird results when I've tried to sync them (and it's not just me being an idiot, I can make the Intellijel Rubicon sync just fine).

Track pretty well (it's hard to judge the tracking when the tuning is so loose, even with the fine tune it's very hard to dial in PRECISELY to the cent; the pots are just a bit loose for my taste). I'm not sure if the master tune really needs adjusting each use or if those coarse tune knobs inevitably get bumped and nudged so much that it becomes a practical necessity; but I rarely can power up and patch a Pittsburgh without tuning it. It's a strong performer sound wise: good, dirty sounding SAW core VCO.
So pretty good, then?
Old 25th September 2017
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Here's mine. It's in a state of evolution at the moment and may get sold off entirely. I have 2 other modules not shown that are already on the chopping block.
That's a lot of Make Noise modules. Just curious, when you say you may sell it off entirely, what is it you're not getting along with about this?
Old 25th September 2017
  #26
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That's a lot of Make Noise modules. Just curious, when you say you may sell it off entirely, what is it you're not getting along with about this?
I went with Make Noise for the majority of my modules at the time because they seem to be closest to what I really wanted... Buchla. I found it was easier to get into Euro with the modules being roughly 1/3 the price of Buchla stuff. I've since discovered DIY and have 3 Serge Panels sitting here and a Buchla Easel clone all waiting to be built.

Anyway, If I have Buchla, I don't really need the Euro and I am trying to thin my synth herd a bit. I figure if I can slim down my rig it will force me to do more things with what I have left.
Old 25th September 2017
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I went with Make Noise for the majority of my modules at the time because they seem to be closest to what I really wanted... Buchla. I found it was easier to get into Euro with the modules being roughly 1/3 the price of Buchla stuff. I've since discovered DIY and have 3 Serge Panels sitting here and a Buchla Easel clone all waiting to be built.

Anyway, If I have Buchla, I don't really need the Euro and I am trying to thin my synth herd a bit. I figure if I can slim down my rig it will force me to do more things with what I have left.
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I see people saying Make Noise sounds plasticy, so I was curious if sticking with one manufacturer was the real problem. I wouldn't need the Make Noise rig if I had some Buchla, either. I've thought about selling my Eurorack to get a Buchla, but I'd only be able to afford three modules.
Old 25th September 2017
  #28
All I see are pics taken from a website.

Shouldn't we be seeing real pics of the modular setups like we have in the Pics of your Slutty Setups
Old 25th September 2017
  #29
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I see people saying Make Noise sounds plasticy, so I was curious if sticking with one manufacturer was the real problem. I wouldn't need the Make Noise rig if I had some Buchla, either. I've thought about selling my Eurorack to get a Buchla, but I'd only be able to afford three modules.
I don't feel that way at all about Make Noise. I can get very much into that nice metalic/wood-like LPG stuff that I like so much about Buchla. I think Tony makes amazing stuff all with the purpose of some kind of working relationship within his system. It is a bit of a struggle for me to want to entirely let go of the system so I've been thinking about evolving it. You can see some of my thoughts on here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/command_center/8306 There will be days where a bunch of those racks will go and a bunch more will crop back up. Ultimately I guess I would want something between the Serge in that link and an Easel. I keep trying to find a way to morph my Euro into that.
Old 25th September 2017
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
All I see are pics taken from a website.

Shouldn't we be seeing real pics of the modular setups like we have in the Pics of your Slutty Setups
We have that too, but it's easier to tell some things by a screenshot.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump