The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show Us Your Modular Grid Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th January 2018
OT but I have fond memories of Austin's music scene in the 90's. I was really into the Trance Syndicate label, I helped book them at local clubs (in Jax, FL) and hosted them at my house etc. Had amazing jam sessions with Jeff Pinkus when he came through with Daddy Longhead (and Honky), same with Starfish and a few others from back in the day. Good times.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-stylesforfree.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: -
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
There's a lot of interesting design choices in here. How are you liking the dual Mother-32 in a modular environment?
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
There's a lot of interesting design choices in here. How are you liking the dual Mother-32 in a modular environment?
Yeah it all started with a single mother 32. From there I purchased the make noise stuff a few months later (DPO, STO, maths, moddemix and MMG). I put very little thought into it all, I just bought modules that interested me.

Echophon, RXMX, uVCF, drezno and metropolis were all bought 2nd hand at pretty cheap prices off ebay, otherwise I probably wouldnt have them.

It wasnt until recently I got the 2nd mother odd ebay, again at a nice price. I havnt looked back since, there's so much power between all these modules. I make down tempo head nod hip hop styled kinda stuff, synthesized boom bap if you will.

Along with an mpc, subsequent 37 and vermona drm mk3 I am a one man band.
Although I have only had everything hooked up seemlessly a few times.

But yeah, im liking the dual mother-32 A LOT.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
Yeah it all started with a single mother 32. From there I purchased the make noise stuff a few months later (DPO, STO, maths, moddemix and MMG). I put very little thought into it all, I just bought modules that interested me.

Echophon, RXMX, uVCF, drezno and metropolis were all bought 2nd hand at pretty cheap prices off ebay, otherwise I probably wouldnt have them.

It wasnt until recently I got the 2nd mother odd ebay, again at a nice price. I havnt looked back since, there's so much power between all these modules. I make down tempo head nod hip hop styled kinda stuff, synthesized boom bap if you will.

Along with an mpc, subsequent 37 and vermona drm mk3 I am a one man band.
Although I have only had everything hooked up seemlessly a few times.

But yeah, im liking the dual mother-32 A LOT.
Awesome.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Addict

My current quiver:

Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-base_new.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: -
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by base615 View Post
My current quiver:

Do you really need a uZues for each row? I get away with 6u per with a bigger power supplies. I think Derp goes even higher.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Do you really need a uZues for each row? I get away with 6u per with a bigger power supplies. I think Derp goes even higher.
Probably not, but they come with the HEKs anyway and I don't need to worry about power. If I decide to do another case I'll move on into it and daisy chain.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

still not big enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-oinkbanana2.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: -
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Maniac

This is where I'm at now.

Disgusting admission: recovery from injury so slow I have barely used it.

Slutty: Minibrute 2S' four Sequencer lanes have me keen to finish it soon regardless. Want to use it as an expander, adding spice to patches etc...have enjoyed my time with it but it's *not* a cheap instrument... even though there's all this cool stuff coming out, I'm pretty happy with it so far and really can't see myself going beyond my Mantis (I sold a lot of kit to buy this). Some modules are still in the post, like the delay.

Thinking next need a random module, another vca with Lin/exp and an lfo, probably some more efx. Would like to be able to squeeze in another osc and filter, but that's probably overdoing it (was thinking Jove/a dedicated wavetable osc or a Basilimus for percussion). Every sound source is helped by having some modulation and attenuation on hand even though my patches are still preeeeeetty simple. I got into this for the sound, the blinking lights and to get my mashed paws away from keys and computer for a while :D
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-madogga3.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: -
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Can't post a modular grid of this as the 1U doesn't exist. I received a bunch of black grayscale panels for my Make Noise modules yesterday... I've been thinking about consolidating my rack down to 84hp and just swapping modules in and out to suit my mood. I mocked up this 1u panel in the spirit of the Make Noise CV bus. It's part Mult and part MN Rosie. It's all a lot of fantasy right now... a 1 off panel alone is like $150.
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-modulargrid_596852.jpg  
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

I broke up my 'Compensation' rack into its seven different sid-row racks since it's getting really hard to manage it all one grid. (Almost out of room, moving modules around a grid that size takes forever, and the page takes forever to load.)

Eurorack Case 1:

Eurorack Case 2:

Eurorack Case 3:

Eurorack Case 4:

Eurorack Case 5:

Eurorack Case 6:

Eurorack Case 7:
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-derp1.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-derp2.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-derp3.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-derp4.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-derp5.jpg  

Show Us Your Modular Grid-derp6.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-derp7.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: -
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Looking at all your racks @Derp I can see how you need a Neutron
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I broke up my 'Compensation' rack into its seven different sid-row racks since it's getting really hard to manage it all one grid. (Almost out of room, moving modules around a grid that size takes forever, and the page takes forever to load.)
Truly wonderful; it's like looking at a Euro museum. How do you get time to even use it all? You just reminded I need to play with my Edges, not to mention my E352, and I've always fancied an MFB triple DCO. My new Fender Strat has been taking up my time but will get back to it!
Old 1st March 2018
Here for the gear

I am in a bit of a pickle right now as to which direction to head. Over the last few weeks i have been patching rhythmic percussion complimented by maschine and would mabye like some dedicated drum modules Ie vermona twin cussion + erica and a mixer on the other hand it takes away my limited space for proper sound design wavefolders, filters,vco’s and sequencers. Right now i’m spending more time on modular grid and synth shop web sites than i do actually playing
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-711470da-4a07-4c38-92fc-d90899f6697b.jpg  
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
How do you get time to even use it all?
Simple: I don't! When I first get a module, I'll usually install it and use it a bit to get the feel of what it can and can't do. Then when I'm making noise, I treat it all as one big paint palette. I have modules that have never made their way onto a recording, but that's okay. They're there if I need them.
Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Nut

This:

and This:

Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-synthetica1.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-synthetica2.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 13th March 2018 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: -
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
TWO NW1's!? You dirty little slut, you!
Old 12th March 2018
< moderator message - Guys and girls please, once more the request to UPLOAD THE PICTURES TO THE GEARSLUTZ SERVER and not just link to Modulargrid. Why? Due to the nature of the internet, links expire, and before long (about now) this thread will become an empty one. This is because Modulargrid may change the URL. It's just better to have files and context in ONE place. (also it would be interesting to look at progress, through the years, instead of just the current eurorack you use, but that's secondary)

If you can't access your post (because older posts are automatically moved to the Gearslutz archive server), send me a link to your modulargrid picture, and the URL of the post? I'll fix it (while I still can). If you CAN access it, please UPLOAD a JPEG yourself right now? You can leave your Modulargrid link in place, if you like.

Thanks! >
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-screen-shot-2018-03-12-09.55.59.png  
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Can't post a modular grid of this as the 1U doesn't exist.
You should just add it to ModularGrid as a private module, it's easy!
Old 13th March 2018
<ohw **** it, I'll add your pictures myself.
if there's any changes in the system, please make a new post?
sorry for the inconvenience. I'd like you to update your posts more than anyone but that's just not possible.
so please upload the picture to the GS server as well? (use "manage attachments")>
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
sorry for the inconvenience. I'd like you to update your posts more than anyone but that's just not possible.
so please upload the picture to the GS server as well? (use "manage attachments")>
The thankless job of a mod, right? Thanks for your work on that.
Old 13th March 2018
My pleasure. I think it's a valuable resource.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I was under the impression that we weren't allowed to post our systems more than once. I had a couple of posts deleted from here for what I assume was that reason (never got any explanation).

So we are now allowed to post our system more than once in this thread if something changes?
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird_oscillator View Post
I was under the impression that we weren't allowed to post our systems more than once. I had a couple of posts deleted from here for what I assume was that reason (never got any explanation).

So we are now allowed to post our system more than once in this thread if something changes?

< whoah That's not supposed to happen!! I have never deleted a post in this thread (except for the Hansi one yesterday, because he asked me to do it). Please contact me or other moderators if something like that happens! Yes, absolutely, you can post your progress, new setups, etc. That's the only way to do that*** (old posts are moved to an archive server and will not be editable (not by me either)) The OCD part in me would number them and add dates to the picture filename, but that's up to you! >

*** It's now possible to edit your old posts for some time - contact me pls if you need access?

Last edited by Reptil; 15th March 2018 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: change
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I just spent the last couple of night's moving everything around. I added an Intellijel 4u case to built out a percussion focused skiff. Playing around with this case build for the first time tonight, Grids and Numeric make a great, contrasting pair. This is also my first foray into 1u ... why can't people just standardize?!?

With a bunch of space freed up, that allowed my to rebuild what I call my "Perfomance" case, the must have's when I go to meet-ups or jam with others, etc.

Last is the "Expansion" case, the luxury items (read: too big) I like to have around when I patch at home.

Wish I would have had enough room for another block of VCA's in the Performance case. Optomix is probably on the chopping block in the Expansion case once I pick up a Natural Gate. Plan is to fill up that freed up 8hp by re-adding the EMW Alias, which I love for sub-bass patches.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Stacks of racks on racks
How do you like the TINRS Tuesday? It keeps catching my eye, but I'm afraid of it being limited in its pattern generation in the way that Grids eventually runs out of steam when using it the normal way. Thoughts?
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you like the TINRS Tuesday? It keeps catching my eye, but I'm afraid of it being limited in its pattern generation in the way that Grids eventually runs out of steam when using it the normal way. Thoughts?
I like it quite a bit. It has 14 algorithms, as opposed to Grids only having one, so there's a lot more variety in there. Add in the X/Y and there's almost always something new. Some algorithms can bounce around multiple octaves a bit too much for my tastes (wish there was a box that would musically limit pitch to a specifics number of steps or within a single octave). I almost always have it plugged into the O_C running Quantermain to give me a bit more control over musical key.

Another nice thing about Tuesday is that it's not just pitch but four outputs. I sometime will use the Turing Machine or LFSR on the O_C for a pitch sequence, but pull the gate, velocity, and accent out of the Tuesday for the rhythm and modulation.

Bottom line is that Tuesday may be a bit expensive, but if you're into doing generative stuff or letting your system drive itself to some extent, I'd highly recommend it.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Addict

I have done something rarely seen in the modular world. I have undertaken a downsizing (although I haven't sold all the surplus modules yet):

Show Us Your Modular Grid-modulargrid_622031.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-modulargrid_622031.jpg  
Old 15th March 2018
< guys, and girls I can't keep uploading your pictures, if you don't do it. I don't have the time.
in order to prevent this thread from becoming an empty one in about a year, please do?
secondly, I've done some inquiries, and can fix the issue of posts not being editable by you, for some time
(but no longer than a year or so, after that, it's archived)
so please, take that extra one minute, and click "manage attachments"? thanks! >
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-screen-shot-2018-03-15-09.24.44.png  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search