The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Show Us Your Modular Grid
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileye0702 View Post
It's a bit of a beast and was constantly changing until recently. I've finally settled into something I really like

How do you cope with having so few choices in your rack? Do you find it creatively limiting?
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
How do you cope with having so few choices in your rack? Do you find it creatively limiting?
I rarely use the full system when working with it. Instead I'll use a subset of it to create one or more voices. I have a lot of different tools to act as inspiration.

I work in two different ways, very focussed where I'm specifically working towards an end result that will be a song or part of a song and jamming where I just mess around having fun and see what evolves. It may end up being total junk or something I record but always is a great way to relax and enjoy,
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileye0702 View Post
I rarely use the full system when working with it. Instead I'll use a subset of it to create one or more voices. I have a lot of different tools to act as inspiration.

I work in two different ways, very focussed where I'm specifically working towards an end result that will be a song or part of a song and jamming where I just mess around having fun and see what evolves. It may end up being total junk or something I record but always is a great way to relax and enjoy,
ha. I didn't expect a real answer.

awesome... It's a sweet setup.
Old 13th August 2019
Deleted 4c3c464

Pretty sparse huh!
This is the proposed ADSR and VCA for my polyphonic Monotribes.
The VCF and VCO are supplied with external gear.
The ADSR would control the VCF amount which I have external control of
via a mod.
The Octal VCA would be for downstream volume articulation.
The VCF and VCA will use the same Y'd envelope (x4)

the 132-2 will allow me to attenuate the signal to the VCFs
and inject a global LFO into the filter (LFO last 8 spots, TBA)
Old 13th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAF Vu Master View Post
Pretty sparse huh!
This is the proposed ADSR and VCA for my polyphonic Monotribes.
The VCF and VCO are supplied with external gear.
The ADSR would control the VCF amount which I have external control of
via a mod.
The VCA would be for downstream volume articulation.
The VCF and VCA will use the same Y'd envelope (x4)
Is this in a beauty case?
Old 14th August 2019
Deleted 4c3c464
yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Is this in a beauty case?
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Coming along nicely. Ditched the idea of a function generator for now. Went with MI Stages instead. Now I just need an A-151 to complete the sequencers and an MI Warps to complete my very own "complex oscillator"
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelabs View Post
Coming along nicely. Ditched the idea of a function generator for now. Went with MI Stages instead. Now I just need an A-151 to complete the sequencers and an MI Warps to complete my very own "complex oscillator"
That's a pretty rad voice you've build there. How you liking the SWN so far?
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac

The SWN is a real joy. Importing wavetables is fast and easy (I mean, really). It's full of tricks to manipulate the wavetables, and also nice on the ergonomics (like a really fast and efficient way to dim the LEDs, for example). Of course there are many multiple-button-pressing but nothing to difficult to memorize.
Plenty of modulations also : six LFOs with variable shapes, and different ways to read the wavetables.
It excels at drones and moving textures but is also comfortable with leads and chords.

Also, code is open sourced on Github and compiles OK (I tried), so if anything is not to your taste there is always a possibility to change or have someone to change it.
Old 16th August 2019
Gear Maniac

5U seem a little bit under represented, so here goes. Last little rack is a box4 sidecar to the dotcom keyboard.

Old 19th August 2019
Gear Head

A tiny change to the first case:

And loads still changing in the second case:

Old 24th August 2019
Here for the gear

What would be the best way to patch 3 oscillator, Rene and Harmonaig?

Thanks
Quote:
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil Des View Post
What would be the best way to patch 3 oscillator, Rene and Harmonaig?

Thanks
That´s a bit of a broad question. Also, what is "best" for you? It might not be "best" for me?
Old 31st August 2019
Gear Nut

My first full case! If you count the two 1 HP blanks. The RackBrute's specs say 88 HP but it's 89 (though not all the rails go right to the end).

Show Us Your Modular Grid-first.jpg
Show Us Your Modular Grid-second.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-first.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-second.jpg  
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

I've been reorganising my rack today and trying to build my overflow and decide which dormant modules to sell.

I got the Doepfer A-132-8 Octal VCA this week to patch up poly to Mutant Brain and really like that I can keep this and play, compose in more traditional way as well as doing some self generating stuff alongside it or use modulation in Ableton to control it as well.

I'm planning to get the ES-3 and can't wait to see how this will change things and hopefully make things easier, tidier and a bit less of a headache
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-img_20190831_193927157.jpg  
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear
My rack now thinking of going to 104 hp case to add my last few bits
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-966ebb5d-5a07-4539-87c5-f2ced03b7428.jpg  
Old 18th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsantana View Post
My rack now thinking of going to 104 hp case to add my last few bits
I like how the only filter you have is in the Atlantis. Very cool decision.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like how the only filter you have is in the Atlantis. Very cool decision.
There's also an Aperture in there. And though I wouldn't call it a filter in the usual sense, an Optomix.
Old 18th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
There's also an Aperture in there. And though I wouldn't call it a filter in the usual sense, an Optomix.
Yep. I totally overlooked that. Good eye!
Old 20th September 2019
My first encounter into modular. And maaaan,it's fun.....

Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yep. I totally overlooked that. Good eye!
Also 2hp filter would love a Jove filter
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

S**t is starting to shape up:

Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
S**t is starting to shape up:

Looking great...

How do you find the Envelator as compared to the Ceis, in the "envelopes with modulatable stages" category? Is either more inherently better somehow, maybe more sweet spots, or with panel controls that are ranged better, etc? I particularly want to modulate, by hand and CV, the Attack, Decay, and Release, subtly and with relative precision, controlling snapy vs a bowed response and playing with that gradient as it suits me. Anyway, thats the angle of my Qs...

Also, if you put a n-In to 1-Out Switch before one of the Inputs of the Vector Space and feed the Switch with multiple Modulation Sources then you get a many more options out of the Vector. For about $100, give or take, it really increases the Vector's value, IMO.

Thanks.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Looking great...

How do you find the Envelator as compared to the Ceis, in the "envelopes with modulatable stages" category? Is either more inherently better somehow, maybe more sweet spots, or with panel controls that are ranged better, etc? I particularly want to modulate, by hand and CV, the Attack, Decay, and Release, subtly and with relative precision, controlling snapy vs a bowed response and playing with that gradient as it suits me. Anyway, thats the angle of my Qs...

Also, if you put a n-In to 1-Out Switch before one of the Inputs of the Vector Space and feed the Switch with multiple Modulation Sources then you get a many more options out of the Vector. For about $100, give or take, it really increases the Vector's value, IMO.

Thanks.
First of all, I would say the Envelator and Ceis are my favourite EG’s. I haven’t heard them all of course, but I have some experience with many great and many not so great ones: JP8 (best non euro), JP6 (sluggish), SH-101 (almost as good as JP8), Doepfer Dark energy (terribly unmusical), Maths (mediocre not deep punch, more like papery, otherwise great and musical), Moog Source (clicky old digital but great), Neutron (mediocre), R*S DUSG (fantastic but difficult to dial).

Comparing the Envelator and Ceis is not so straightforward because one is more West coast and the other more East coast, although the Ceis can be very West coast too. Both are very musical. It’s great having both really.

The Envelator shines in pinging LPGs, it makes the punchiest Buchla Bongos. It’s much easier to dial than the DUSG. For lengthy envelopes it’s nothing special but still very good. It has great options but it’s not always so predictable, like modulating the A or D with cv often lead to unexpected results (maybe I still don’t understand it enough).

Ceis – as I recently posted in the Chit Chat – is probably the best EG I’ve had overall. It’s always sweet spot and very musical. It’s not the fastest however; if you want from A to fully open D to fully closed S, it is slower than say the SH-101. But it doesn’t matter because its still so musical. And fast enough to make deep and snappy bass pucks. It always sounds good when modulating the steps with cv especially with random. The lin/exp knob is wonderful for more surgical shaping. Because of the faders, it may be more difficult to tweak live than the Envelator. The lights in the faders are really useful.

I was so in love with my Envelator that I planned on getting another one. Now I think I will get another Ceis instead; can’t wait to chain them etc.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip on the Vector Space! Which module would you suggest for this? I find it complex enough e.g. when feeding a cross modulating Vulcan into one of the inputs and two Sloths to the other ones. Koma attenuator cables are often used. Some of my best moments have been when I have a very complex patch, all 17 outputs going somewhere and I start switching the outputs randomly, no longer having a clue what is going on in the patch. Lots of happy accidents!
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear
Thanks for all that.

As for Switches, the one that's caught my eye lately is the Joranalogue Switch 4. It does 4xIN to 1xOUT, and has a great simple physical switch (a knob, on a rotating 4 position switch) you can grab and easily route which IN goes to the OUT. (It has two of these rotating switches, actually, each with their own Out, and more).

So, for instance, let's say you typically currently do something like take your Triple Sloth's slowest OUT and feed that into your Vector Space's Middle IN, and let's just ignore for now what's plugged into the Vector Space's other two INs...doesn't matter.

Okay. So instead of that slowest OUT from the Triple Sloth going to the Middle IN of the Vector Space, instead plug that Sloth Out into the Switch's #1-IN , and the Switch's OUT into the Middle IN of the Vector Space.

Now you're just back to where you started, with the Switch inserted between the Sloth and Vector.

And *now* take as many as three *other* Mod Sources that you aren't already feeding into the Vector Space and feed those into INs 2-4 on the Switch, and now you can re-route what feeds that Middle IN (and thus totally change what comes out of the Vector Space's 17 OUTs) by simply twisting the rotating knob on the Switch...

And once you try a bunch of combos of Mod Sources to feed into the Vector via the Switch, and find out which changes work best in what sections of your music, then you have a powerful performance tool and a powerful tool for variety, at your literal fingertips in one simple rotating Switch.

All for ~$120 and 8hp.

There are loads of other Switches, some that work totally differently while still doing the same basic thing, like simple Doepfer Sequential Switches.

Best of luck, regardless.

See the two knobs up tops in the photo, and the single OUTs adjacent to each... either one of those Knob/Jack combos, and the Switch's 4xINs will get it done, and leave other unused features on the Switch to boot...

Switch-4

Quote:
First of all, I would say the Envelator and Ceis are my favourite EG’s. I haven’t heard them all of course, but I have some experience with many great and many not so great ones: JP8 (best non euro), JP6 (sluggish), SH-101 (almost as good as JP8), Doepfer Dark energy (terribly unmusical), Maths (mediocre not deep punch, more like papery, otherwise great and musical), Moog Source (clicky old digital but great), Neutron (mediocre), R*S DUSG (fantastic but difficult to dial).

Comparing the Envelator and Ceis is not so straightforward because one is more West coast and the other more East coast, although the Ceis can be very West coast too. Both are very musical. It’s great having both really.

The Envelator shines in pinging LPGs, it makes the punchiest Buchla Bongos. It’s much easier to dial than the DUSG. For lengthy envelopes it’s nothing special but still very good. It has great options but it’s not always so predictable, like modulating the A or D with cv often lead to unexpected results (maybe I still don’t understand it enough).

Ceis – as I recently posted in the Chit Chat – is probably the best EG I’ve had overall. It’s always sweet spot and very musical. It’s not the fastest however; if you want from A to fully open D to fully closed S, it is slower than say the SH-101. But it doesn’t matter because its still so musical. And fast enough to make deep and snappy bass pucks. It always sounds good when modulating the steps with cv especially with random. The lin/exp knob is wonderful for more surgical shaping. Because of the faders, it may be more difficult to tweak live than the Envelator. The lights in the faders are really useful.

I was so in love with my Envelator that I planned on getting another one. Now I think I will get another Ceis instead; can’t wait to chain them etc.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip on the Vector Space! Which module would you suggest for this? I find it complex enough e.g. when feeding a cross modulating Vulcan into one of the inputs and two Sloths to the other ones. Koma attenuator cables are often used. Some of my best moments have been when I have a very complex patch, all 17 outputs going somewhere and I start switching the outputs randomly, no longer having a clue what is going on in the patch. Lots of happy accidents!
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the detailed explanation, you made me realize what useful thing a switch module is. This seems like something I should definitely look more into, especially since I have relatively many modulation sources. Jornanalogue makes intersting stuff, but I'd like maybe something smaller, like 4hp, and maybe with cv control for the switch, so I could also sequence or randomise the switch. The Doepfer A-151 actually seems to cover a lot of this. Will look into this more anyway.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation, you made me realize what useful thing a switch module is. This seems like something I should definitely look more into, especially since I have relatively many modulation sources. Jornanalogue makes intersting stuff, but I'd like maybe something smaller, like 4hp, and maybe with cv control for the switch, so I could also sequence or randomise the switch. The Doepfer A-151 actually seems to cover a lot of this. Will look into this more anyway.
Indeed. I'm pleased it was helpful.

Frankly, I only figured this stuff out somewhat recently myself, and it was a Game Changer.

As for 4hp Switches like you describe, yeah, those would work great, too. I think there are 8xIN and 1xOUT ones available in 4hp that you can Gate through the options. Some are even CV Addressable to specific InOut combos rather than purely sequential.

The same principles apply in areas other than Mod Sources, too. Like - using a Switch to feed multiple different sources to an Effects module or Filter IN, or the reverse - take something like an Oscillator or Filter OUT (single source IN on a Switch) and via a Switch feed that one source to many destinations (one Trigger or Gate pattern to one of many Drum Modules) and on and on.
Old 8th October 2019
The advantage with sequential switches like the Doepfer is that you can run those suckers at audio-rate, and start splicing waveforms together. It is teh bomb.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Anyway,

Old 13th October 2019
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-mdrack.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search