The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show Us Your Modular Grid Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th February 2019
  #271
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Last year, due to a financial crisis, I had to sell half of my modules along with my second Tiptop Audio Mantis case (which was a pain in the butt to bring out two Mantis cases for live performances; to patch them at the venue) but I've slowly been building my system back up and got the final module today, all of which will be going into my dream case I've been wanting since I first saw them, the MDLR 12U/104HP Performer Series Pro case (perfect for live performances!) So here is my completed modular grid setup and a couple of photos of the case I'm referring to...





Arjin makes some nice cases ... He just needs to stick to his delivery dates though . Probably too late, but I would have highly recommended going with his new version with the 1u rows. I picked up a 4u Intellijel skiff that I use for percussion duties and just love how much functionality I can throw into a 1u row, saving valuable 3u space for the "fun stuff".
Old 25th February 2019
  #272
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Arjin makes some nice cases ... He just needs to stick to his delivery dates though . Probably too late, but I would have highly recommended going with his new version with the 1u rows. I picked up a 4u Intellijel skiff that I use for percussion duties and just love how much functionality I can throw into a 1u row, saving valuable 3u space for the "fun stuff".
As much as I wanted a 1U row (mostly so I can have a Make Noise CV bus which a friend of mine is selling two of!) I also wanted to keep the size down to a minimal; especially for airline carry-on restrictions, and I heard that adding the 1U row puts the case just over some airlines carry-on rules.

Also, I was lucky enough to get this case from Perfect Circuit Audio; they had just got a new shipment in. Filling the case in just a minute now (was just waiting on the final missing piece, the Befaco Knurlies which just arrived in my mailbox!)
Old 26th February 2019
  #273
And all the modules are in and working! (unfortunately I was short a few Befaco Knurlies; actually purchased the 100 pack and it was short 17.)
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-my_mdlr_setup_front.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-my_mdlr_setup_angle.jpg  
Old 26th February 2019
  #274
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
As much as I wanted a 1U row (mostly so I can have a Make Noise CV bus which a friend of mine is selling two of!) I also wanted to keep the size down to a minimal; especially for airline carry-on restrictions, and I heard that adding the 1U row puts the case just over some airlines carry-on rules.

Also, I was lucky enough to get this case from Perfect Circuit Audio; they had just got a new shipment in. Filling the case in just a minute now (was just waiting on the final missing piece, the Befaco Knurlies which just arrived in my mailbox!)
Understood, but food for thought for anyone else considering a MDLR case.

Surprised you were able to fit Magneto in ... I've got an older version with PSU3's (rock solid BTW), and it's like playing Tetris to fit deeper modules in around the heat sinks on the Doepfer power supplies.

Knurlies FTW!
Old 26th February 2019
  #275
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Understood, but food for thought for anyone else considering a MDLR case.

Surprised you were able to fit Magneto in ... I've got an older version with PSU3's (rock solid BTW), and it's like playing Tetris to fit deeper modules in around the heat sinks on the Doepfer power supplies.

Knurlies FTW!
Luckily they don't use the Doepfer power anymore from what I understand, they've got a custom power supply in there that they call "MDLR PWR". The Magneto fit just fine (luckily! I was worried about it since it is my deepest module.)

And yeah, those Knurlies are awesome! Just need to find 17 more...
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-my_mdlr_setup_empty.jpg  
Old 8th March 2019
  #276
Gear Addict
 
base615's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
And all the modules are in and working! (unfortunately I was short a few Befaco Knurlies; actually purchased the 100 pack and it was short 17.)
Looks great but how do you survive with only one envelope?

Edit: Ignore. I missed the Peaks and Tides lol
Old 13th March 2019
  #277
Lives for gear
 
mutilatedlip's Avatar
Case number two complete.

Had to swap the top and bottom rows around in order to accommodate the Small/Medium springs in the case, so that's a pain, but all done now.

Old 3 weeks ago
  #278
Here for the gear
 
Lisa's Avatar
Hi y'all! New here. After resisting the modular lure for about fifteen years I got myself a 0-coast two years ago and couldn't resist anymore. Put in hundreds of hours reading about most available Eurorack modules (yep, that's what I do), buying some and making tons of patches/tracks meanwhile.

A few months ago I had my Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-420 filled and I felt rather good about it so I decided to be done with the purchases. Feels good.

EP-420 - Eurorack Modular System from sislte on ModularGrid
Old 3 weeks ago
  #279
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Hi y'all! New here. After resisting the modular lure for about fifteen years I got myself a 0-coast two years ago and couldn't resist anymore. Put in hundreds of hours reading about most available Eurorack modules (yep, that's what I do), buying some and making tons of patches/tracks meanwhile.

A few months ago I had my Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-420 filled and I felt rather good about it so I decided to be done with the purchases. Feels good.

EP-420 - Eurorack Modular System from sislte on ModularGrid
Really nice set up Lisa, you have so many great modules in there. I might have to check a few out. I got to the point as well where I felt like I'd bought enough and after playing with self generative patches I found out really I'm more into subtractive sound design, yes sure I do some fun noodling sometimes but feel more comfortable with more traditional composition.

This was my original 3 row rack but it was too much for my brain to consider so have reduced it down to 2 rows and a 1 row rack.

My Eurorack 126hp - Eurorack Modular System from justinjools on ModularGrid

Euro 126hp OC Octo - Eurorack Modular System from justinjools on ModularGrid
Old 3 weeks ago
  #280
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
After about 4 months since starting euro, this is how my Mantis case is starting to shape up. I want this to be an instrument mostly for Krell type randomness and beyond, i.e. non-constant BPM, 'strange' melodies, sometimes atonal, occasional percussions, atmospheric drones etc.

My main puzzlement now is whether to get Marbles or A-149 + Ultra Random Analog combo.

Looking forward to your comments! Especially if it seems to missing something essential (I could easily ditch the A-199 reverb or something).

The ones I still haven't bought:

- Marbles
- Chord organ
- Gozinta
- the 2HP modules
- L-1 quad VCA/mixer
- the Ladik LFOs
- the A-199 spring reverb


Last edited by Ossicle; 3 weeks ago at 05:48 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #281
Here for the gear
 
Lisa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Really nice set up Lisa, you have so many great modules in there.
Thanks! I feel that the mix of functionality is pretty much spot on for my needs. I feel more or less unlimited by the assortment I've got.

Quote:
I got to the point as well where I felt like I'd bought enough and after playing with self generative patches I found out really I'm more into subtractive sound design, yes sure I do some fun noodling sometimes but feel more comfortable with more traditional composition.
Which really underlines that this is a journey where we learn over time and end up knowing our needs. Lovely thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #282
Lives for gear
 

This week I watched several videos about the Ultra Random Analog and was extremely impressed.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #283
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Yes, I decided to go for the Ultra random instead as I found a nice deal secondhand + A-149 (which I already have). The URA seemed more interesting since its workflow seems less 'ready made'. The Marbles will be around for a while anyway.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #284
Lives for gear
 

Redundant post. Please ignore
Old 3 weeks ago
  #285
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Thanks! I feel that the mix of functionality is pretty much spot on for my needs. I feel more or less unlimited by the assortment I've got.

Which really underlines that this is a journey where we learn over time and end up knowing our needs. Lovely thing.
What are your favourite modules and ones you use the most? Looks like you've done a lot of thinking to get what you want. Blue Lanterns Spore Generator sounds interesting.

I'm not there yet and have a couple of modules that I find are too much trouble menu diving, like Ornaments n Crime and not sure if I like Octocontroller or Clouds whereas others like Peaks, Ultrafold, Dual LFO E355 to mention just a few I really liked the first time.

I need a modular makeover
Old 2 weeks ago
  #286
Here for the gear
 
Lisa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
What are your favourite modules and ones you use the most? Looks like you've done a lot of thinking to get what you want.
Oh, yes. I think "favourite modules" needs to be defined a bit. It could refer to the modules that I use the most or to the modules I like the most which aren't necessarily the same ones. As an example: I use Batumi in every patch for basic, free running LFOs. I feel nothing for it though, probably because I use it for dull tasks.

If I just go by which ones gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling right now it'd be these:

I really like Maths for slewing of melodies (especially with different slew times when going up campared to down) and for envelope following of drums for creating a ducking effect by controlling a VCA.

I love Mixwitch for switching between four different sounding versions of a melodic line.

I like Wobbler's twang mode as a different type of envelope for controlling filters.

FM Aid is great for getting timbral variations of melodic lines.

Pamela's New Workout is the heart of my setup and I find it to be really easy to use. I use it for clocks, rhythms, LFOs and subtle random. I even use it as a sort of melody sequencer sometimes. The expander is great too, I use it to sync my rack with my drum machines.

Roboto is a FSU powerhouse. I love that I can modulate which sections are on and off. It set the tone for several of my tracks.

The rubbery sound of the DPO is lovely and I like all the normalizations. FM chaos is only ever a few twists away. I could patch something like it but I wouldn't very often.

A-196 has saved several melodic lines for me. When they're a bit stale or boring, there's nothing like a bit of PLL to create some tension. I've patched PLL myself a few times and actually like those patches better than A-196 since they've been even more expressive but it's convenient to have it in a single, simple module.

Disting has the best quantizer I've ever tried. Love the flexible scales and that it sends trigs when the note changes. I also use the tuner, the precision adder and the wavetable VCO all the time.

Rings saounds lovely as a voice. I use it for deep basses and for all the usual kinds of acoustic types of sounds it's famous for. I also like sending a melodic sequence through the IN input to get a pad like sequence following the melodic line.

I've used Plaits in every patch since I got it. Almost only the green algorithms, for melodies. Sounds great, great variation, self-containing.

That'll be enough for now, I think.

Quote:
Blue Lanterns Spore Generator sounds interesting.
It's nice! Like a Befaco Rampage with a bunch of extras at a lower price.

Quote:
I'm not there yet and have a couple of modules that I find are too much trouble menu diving, like Ornaments n Crime
Yeah, I'd feel the same regarding O&C if I wanted to use all of the different modes all the time but I only use one for a month or so. Then I switch to another and learn it for a month. It's not that much hassle menu diving when you know the mode you are using.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #287
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Oh, yes. I think "favourite modules" needs to be defined a bit. It could refer to the modules that I use the most or to the modules I like the most which aren't necessarily the same ones. As an example: I use Batumi in every patch for basic, free running LFOs. I feel nothing for it though, probably because I use it for dull tasks.

If I just go by which ones gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling right now it'd be these:

I really like Maths for slewing of melodies (especially with different slew times when going up campared to down) and for envelope following of drums for creating a ducking effect by controlling a VCA.

I love Mixwitch for switching between four different sounding versions of a melodic line.

I like Wobbler's twang mode as a different type of envelope for controlling filters.

FM Aid is great for getting timbral variations of melodic lines.

Pamela's New Workout is the heart of my setup and I find it to be really easy to use. I use it for clocks, rhythms, LFOs and subtle random. I even use it as a sort of melody sequencer sometimes. The expander is great too, I use it to sync my rack with my drum machines.

Roboto is a FSU powerhouse. I love that I can modulate which sections are on and off. It set the tone for several of my tracks.

The rubbery sound of the DPO is lovely and I like all the normalizations. FM chaos is only ever a few twists away. I could patch something like it but I wouldn't very often.

A-196 has saved several melodic lines for me. When they're a bit stale or boring, there's nothing like a bit of PLL to create some tension. I've patched PLL myself a few times and actually like those patches better than A-196 since they've been even more expressive but it's convenient to have it in a single, simple module.

Disting has the best quantizer I've ever tried. Love the flexible scales and that it sends trigs when the note changes. I also use the tuner, the precision adder and the wavetable VCO all the time.

Rings saounds lovely as a voice. I use it for deep basses and for all the usual kinds of acoustic types of sounds it's famous for. I also like sending a melodic sequence through the IN input to get a pad like sequence following the melodic line.

I've used Plaits in every patch since I got it. Almost only the green algorithms, for melodies. Sounds great, great variation, self-containing.

That'll be enough for now, I think.


It's nice! Like a Befaco Rampage with a bunch of extras at a lower price.


Yeah, I'd feel the same regarding O&C if I wanted to use all of the different modes all the time but I only use one for a month or so. Then I switch to another and learn it for a month. It's not that much hassle menu diving when you know the mode you are using.
That's really helpful Lisa. Have been thinking about upgrading to Pam's new workout for a long time and you've inspired me to do it. Will try an A-196 seeing as it's is cheap too

Blue Lanterns Spore sounds great but I see it's discontinued so I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

I do like dabbling with modular but it's taken a bit of a backseat recently what with more traditional composition with guitar and keys but you have made me feel I need to get back back into it and will have a noodle on Sunday
Old 2 weeks ago
  #288
Here for the gear
 
Lisa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
That's really helpful Lisa. Have been thinking about upgrading to Pam's new workout for a long time and you've inspired me to do it. Will try an A-196 seeing as it's is cheap too
Cool!

Quote:
Blue Lanterns Spore sounds great but I see it's discontinued so I'll have to keep an eye out for one.
I'd contact Flavio directly. I think he only made a test run of the Spore Generator that didn't sell very well so my guess is that it isn't comming back, unless you ask him for it.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #289
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Hi y'all! New here. After resisting the modular lure for about fifteen years I got myself a 0-coast two years ago and couldn't resist anymore. Put in hundreds of hours reading about most available Eurorack modules (yep, that's what I do), buying some and making tons of patches/tracks meanwhile.

A few months ago I had my Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-420 filled and I felt rather good about it so I decided to be done with the purchases. Feels good.

EP-420 - Eurorack Modular System from sislte on ModularGrid
Getting out of the researching, buying and rearranging game does feel good. I've been working with more or less the same rack since last March (damn time flies) when I swapped my sequencer from a BSP to an MPC. There was a whole lot of rack churn then as I was adjusting to a new work flow. Now I'm in the sweet spot between being really familiar with my instrument where you're getting that muscle memory feel and also not feeling like I've really exhausted all the possibilities.

But between the constant hype on Muffs and the endless new entries on Modular Grid, it's hard not to get sucked back in. My cure is to imagine how I would actually use $NEW MODULE and if it would really change my music. Most of the time the answer is some kind of subtle variation on what I'm already doing.

Anyhow I started this post because I had to ask - Do you really have your MIDI module in the middle of the rack? I'm guessing it works out that way because you use Pams as a master clock but boy that goes against all of my rack arranging instincts.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #290
Here for the gear
 
Lisa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Getting out of the researching, buying and rearranging game does feel good. I've been working with more or less the same rack since last March (damn time flies) when I swapped my sequencer from a BSP to an MPC. There was a whole lot of rack churn then as I was adjusting to a new work flow. Now I'm in the sweet spot between being really familiar with my instrument where you're getting that muscle memory feel and also not feeling like I've really exhausted all the possibilities.

But between the constant hype on Muffs and the endless new entries on Modular Grid, it's hard not to get sucked back in. My cure is to imagine how I would actually use $NEW MODULE and if it would really change my music. Most of the time the answer is some kind of subtle variation on what I'm already doing.
I agree with everything you're saying. I differ only in the sense that when I've made a decision about gear I'm not affected by anything but my own mind. I.e. if I decide that I'm done buying modules then the launch of new ones won't affect me.

On the other hand, to be 100% honest, I'm harboring an idea to get another rack some day. There are many modules that I've been interested in that didn't fit my plans for my current rack. My current rack is as big as I'd ever want to go but at some point I could get another case and build another system. Then I could keep them in separate parts of my house and choose which one to use whenever I want to make music. I'll just have to get a house first.

Quote:
Anyhow I started this post because I had to ask - Do you really have your MIDI module in the middle of the rack? I'm guessing it works out that way because you use Pams as a master clock but boy that goes against all of my rack arranging instincts.
Hm, haven't even thought about it. I keep the midi cable plugged in even when I start from scratch. It's not really hindering me in any way.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #291
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
Old 2 weeks ago
  #292
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Getting out of the researching, buying and rearranging game does feel good.
I am mildly jealous.

Modular Grid and forums are great resources but I can not wait to fill a case and be done for a while.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #293
M32
Lives for gear
My first patch... It's Alive!
Moehaha

I am fighting so hard not to ruin my bank account right now
Attached Thumbnails
Show Us Your Modular Grid-img_20190402_210442.jpg   Show Us Your Modular Grid-img_20190402_210457.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
  #294
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I am mildly jealous.

Modular Grid and forums are great resources but I can not wait to fill a case and be done for a while.
That’s a great feeling...until you get down to the last 12HP or so and realize what you still want and need.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #295
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
That’s a great feeling...until you get down to the last 12HP or so and realize what you still want and need.
I'm there right now. Trying to convince myself that it's better to treat my filled Mantis as an 'instrument', dig deep and really learn my modules before getting more HP. That makes sense but it's pretty hard to be sensible. Because I just found out about Triple Sloths and Vector Space and just CAN'T LIVE without them
Old 1 week ago
  #296
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
I'm there right now. Trying to convince myself that it's better to treat my filled Mantis as an 'instrument', dig deep and really learn my modules before getting more HP. That makes sense but it's pretty hard to be sensible. Because I just found out about Triple Sloths and Vector Space and just CAN'T LIVE without them
I mean...I use Triple Sloths and Vector Space together a lot and think they’re a pretty perfect pair, so I suggest starting another rack if you’re out of space, because you do in fact need both of those modules
Old 4 days ago
  #297
Lives for gear
 
spiderman's Avatar
Made a few changes. Active Rack (360) - Eurorack Modular System from soundslikejoe on ModularGrid






I'm really starting to feel good about the flexibility and layout.... but it's messy when patched up. Not sure if there's a better way to layout, or if that's just the nature of a dense case?
Old 4 days ago
  #298
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Made a few changes. Active Rack (360) - Eurorack Modular System from soundslikejoe on ModularGrid






I'm really starting to feel good about the flexibility and layout.... but it's messy when patched up. Not sure if there's a better way to layout, or if that's just the nature of a dense case?
Love that bottom row.
Old 4 days ago
  #299
Gear Nut
 
pekbro's Avatar
 

My noob RIG...

Old 2 days ago
  #300
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
My noob RIG...
That's not bad at all for a starter rig. I'd even go so far as to call it "excellent". Anything I can think of and say "well he needs this", it's already in there. Dense and very functional. You've made some extremely good choices with this system. Can't wait to hear what you make with it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump