The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Three, eh? So they work, then...
Indeed they do, not done a sync test yet from innerclock sync gen's trigger out which can send start/stop and force reset signals.

Quote:
I take that as a solid endorsement. I've been wanting a pair of them, myself.
Go for it, but i will recommend a quantizer module if you want chromatic sequencing.

Quote:
Any nitpicky complaints so far?
None at all, they did copy the original moog 960, but there was one or two surprises with it, you can actually do short looping sequences by inserting a cable into one of the stage outputs back into any stage input (the moog 960 locks up if you do this - as seen in one of the dotcom videos) Or a short sequence then stop by running a cable from one of the stage outs back into the osc off input.

The sequencer can go from real slow (1) to supersonic speed (6) in the freq range. Settings 3 and 4 are usually mid tempo, and use the freq vernier for fine tuning. At the price these 960's are, it's a no brainer. dotcom 960's cost $880, and the real moog 960's cost around $3'500 for one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Grassyass.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post

Some nice secondhand additions

this is one of my favorite modules. the top input is basically a slightly overdriven VCA like sound but it sounds almost like a compressor. you can put a kick drum in there and it'll blow it up just enough.. everything sounds good there actually.

the module is full of really versatile circuits. there's lot's of shapes in there and modulation adds so much flavor. you can do a lot and use them all simultaneously.

this is some info i got from a serge user friend of mine:

Quote:
Wizardry: The middle and bottom two sections are most useful with low-harmonic content input waveforms. They have some effect with sawtooth, less with square. This makes sense since they're designed to add harmonics; if the input already has a lot of harmonics the added harmonics stand out less. Since the 2nd input of the middle section is DC coupled, using this with a control voltage along with audio into the 1st input makes for some interesting effects.

The top section is a linear response VCA. Ordinarily this would give dull or unnatural sounding notes when used as a regular VCA, but you can fix this by feeding it exponential envelopes (see notes on DSG and DTG)! Normally, a linear VCA is what you want for amplitude modulating an FM or other exponential parameter.

1) The upper section can operate two ways. With the switch in the HI position this module will "square up" an incoming signal, similar to a comparator but more like the soft clipping you might get from an old tube amp. Put a sinewave through here, apply a CV and you have a variable pulse waveform. With the switch in the LO position, it becomes a VCA useful for amplitude modulation and gating.

2) The middle section is pure magick! It provides a voltage-controllable sweep of odd harmonics in a signal. If you put a sinewave through the input, you get weird windsynth type timbres. Reminiscent of a ring modulator on more complex waveforms but much weirder in effect! Whatever it is: Feed in a low freq. sine wave input. Modulate this with a random
voltage generator set very slow. Feed that into a BIG artificial reverb
and it sounds almost as good as the intro to "Between the Sun and the Rain" (Beaver&Krause).

3) The bottom section is 3 full-wave rectifiers in series - fully voltage controllable. You can really dirty up the sound with this section. Not for the faint-of-heart

Basically, with one VCM module, you only need two VCO sine waveforms to
construct 'Wave tables' that you can filter or send to Ring Modulators for
further processing.

Try sticking the wave multiplier between an oscillator and the FM input of another oscillator and slowly twist the knobs. It adds some great texture to FM patches.
Add an envelope to the amount and you get a beautiful thing.
OR:
Oscillator output->wavemult->fm input of said oscillator

Adds some neat feedback wobble.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Fleagle has landed!

Ordered these beasties from Thomann - couldn't wait on sweetwater for these. It's like EU distributers sucked up all the fancy stuff. Domestic retailers only have the plumbing bits.

Welp, PHASE II almost complete :-)
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-fb6717cc-3dc4-4a87-b1eb-b2434db633ae.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-reseq.jpg

Finally arrived today! Only been playing around with it for about 15 minutes but I'm just floored... The sound is amazing, the playability, the feedback, how the different bands interact... I'm gassing for a LOT more R*S serge modules now! O_o

This should (hopefully) get delivered a little later today:

Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-reseq.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sweet.

I like R*S stuff a lot.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Got this in the mail today (finally) Black Corp Deckard's Voice
Sounds great actually... 3 Tier pcb, likely too deep for those little pod
cases. FYI
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Got this in the mail today (finally) Black Corp Deckard's Voice
Sounds great actually... 3 Tier pcb, likely too deep for those little pod
cases. FYI
Are you going to be a second one for layering or just double track the one?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Are you going to be a second one for layering or just double track the one?
Definitely I'd like to get another, I am waiting to see how much the Rachel
module is going to be, as I don't want to miss that. Honestly though, it
sounds really good on it's own, a second one is not super critical. Likely
I will get another at some point. In the mean time, it goes really well
with the Telharmonic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely I'd like to get another, I am waiting to see how much the Rachel
module is going to be, as I don't want to miss that. Honestly though, it
sounds really good on it's own, a second one is not super critical. Likely
I will get another at some point. In the mean time, it goes really well
with the Telharmonic.
Your kit now is so sweet / even sweeter.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Ooo, I just backed this kickstarter: I dig interesting stuff like this...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ght-of-harmony
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Nothing fancy tbh, a simple midi to cv/gate module.

Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Ooo, I just backed this kickstarter: I dig interesting stuff like this...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ght-of-harmony
Congrats on landing an early bird! That's pretty freakin' rad!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Congrats on landing an early bird! That's pretty freakin' rad!

Thanks I got lucky on that one, I do try to keep you guys informed, there were still 5 or 6 early bird slots available when I posted about it.

Anyway, hopefully he can raise all the money, still a lot to go, though I guess
they will make them even if the kickstarter doesn't pan out. It would just take
longer according to them.

Should be pretty cool in any event
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Greetings! Haven’t posted here in awhile—not since all this COVID madness began. I thought I’d give an update on how my Instruō system is coming along.

The most recent addition would be lìon, a 6x6 matrix mixer with a pin style interface (middle row, left). Prior to that, I added Lúbadh and arbhar.

With only 20HP left, I will need to think carefully what I add next—else a new case. And the beat goes on.

An øchd is already on order. So I’m pretty much committed there. 10HP of the remaining 16HP I will likely reserve for pára, a new voltage source module still in the works.

Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

I like the 1930's Metro-Industrial super-science look to them. Buck Rogers, Ming, yeah.
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

In a YouTube live stream last night, Jason of Instruō described his aesthetic as essentially Steampunk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Greetings! Haven’t posted here in awhile—not since all this COVID madness began. I thought I’d give an update on how my Instruō system is coming along.

The most recent addition would be lìon, a 6x6 matrix mixer with a pin style interface (middle row, left). Prior to that, I added Lúbadh and arbhar.

With only 20HP left, I will need to think carefully what I add next—else a new case. And the beat goes on.

An øchd is already on order. So I’m pretty much committed there. 10HP of the remaining 16HP I will likely reserve for pára, a new voltage source module still in the works.

The Divkid Sample and Hold (six of them in a clever bundle) isn't technically an Instruo product like the Ochd is, but the livery is basically the same. This is also true for DivKid's Mutes module, both very useful, only 4hp each, priced well I think. Worth a look.

They'd fit right in...
Old 16 hours ago
M32
Lives for gear

I forgot how great modular looks in black & white

here's my modulation station (the blank panel is a placeholder for the Pro3 who's having a doctors appointment)

New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-modular-station.jpg

New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-instruo.jpg
I've been rediscovering the Sherman Filter, experimenting with interacting with modular. Works pretty well, surprisingly. I can even make it ping and track pitch by sending a sequenced oscillator into the FM/track circuit. It's such a strange module, the only thing that can make me smile from ear to ear and say 'wow that sounds disgusting' in a good way. Still my favourite FSU-machine.
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-sherman.jpg

On topic, while still talking about deliciously foul filters:
This Steve's MS22 module is on the way here
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-ms22.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-instruo.jpg   New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-modular-station.jpg   New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-sherman.jpg   New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-ms22.jpg  
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've been rediscovering the Sherman Filter, experimenting with interacting with modular. Works pretty well, surprisingly. I can even make it ping and track pitch by sending a sequenced oscillator into the FM/track circuit. It's such a strange module, the only thing that can make me smile from ear to ear and say 'wow that sounds disgusting' in a good way. Still my favourite FSU-machine.

On topic, while still talking about deliciously foul filters:
This Steve's MS22 module is on the way here
Ooh, interested to hear how it goes with the ThreeTom filter, I was looking at that one, also the Funkstill Filter Threek and the new one from Supercritical look nice to me as well.
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Divkid Sample and Hold (six of them in a clever bundle) isn't technically an Instruo product like the Ochd is, but the livery is basically the same. This is also true for DivKid's Mutes module, both very useful, only 4hp each, priced well I think. Worth a look.

They'd fit right in...
Thanks! I’ll look into them. I think that mutes module in particularly could be useful.

Quote:
Looking good!

How are you liking arbhar?

I think if I had to choose the coolest Instruō module, it would be arbhar.

It’s so outrageously cool, I almost feel guilty about having it in my system.

Somehow, it feels like… cheating.
Old 7 hours ago
Lives for gear

This is pára. All I know about it is what’s written on the card.

Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
This is pára. All I know about it is what’s written on the card.
I love it! Reminds my of the thousands of dollars I spend on pokemon cards. That was a fun game too! :-)
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
I love it! Reminds my of the thousands of dollars I spend on pokemon cards. That was a fun game too! :-)
Yes, it’s a brilliant and fun marketing tactic. Unfortunately, I purchased most of my modules before he started the game, so this is my only card so far.

But at least it’s a rare one. To my knowledge, I’m the only person out there who has the pára card right now, as it’s still an unreleased product.

Quietly slipping these cards into customers' boxes is a clever way of making new product announcements.
📝 Reply