The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I came hella close to buying a couple Electribes over the weekend. Once I reasoned out why it was a bad idea, I talked myself into buying some modules instead.

It'll be nice to finally have a replacement for my old Dot Com spring reverb.

I had ordered a Charcot Circles a long time ago, but Perfect Circuit ended up being out of stock, so I spent the money elsewhere. While I'm super happy with my other sequencers (especially the Division 6 Dual Sequencer), I'm still curious about this one, so I added it to the collection. Hopefully SE will one day get around to making that expander they've been talking about that will turn it into an 8-channel sequencer.

This is ultimately what helped sway me on getting Electribes. While I do have plenty of trigger sequencers and lots of drum modules, I think this having its own VCA's and envelopes will open up a different world of percussion experimentation for me. Plus it was really hard to say no to the price I found it at.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Because I don't know how to stop, I grabbed one of these:

And my third one of these:

I think if I can eventually get to four Waveforms, I'll be happy-ish.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I blame this one on poor impulse control ...

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
If you like intentionally unwieldy samplers, prepare to be blown away!
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Do tell.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is ultimately what helped sway me on getting Electribes. While I do have plenty of trigger sequencers and lots of drum modules, I think this having its own VCA's and envelopes will open up a different world of percussion experimentation for me. Plus it was really hard to say no to the price I found it at.
When I got Knit Rider I was considering the Lifeforms sequencer. I heard that (and this is kinda hilarious) even Pittsburgh's own touch modules don't work correctly in their old Cell 90 cases which is where my drum rack is currently living. I also really appreciate the micro steps in the KR. But the built in EGs on the Lifeforms is a very cool. I could imagine putting it with a Quantum Rainbow and clean resonant filter like Ripples for instant build your own drums type patches.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Do tell.
It's... intentionally unwieldy and... it's gonna blow him away if he likes that sort of thing?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
When I got Knit Rider I was considering the Lifeforms sequencer. I heard that (and this is kinda hilarious) even Pittsburgh's own touch modules don't work correctly in their old Cell 90 cases which is where my drum rack is currently living. I also really appreciate the micro steps in the KR. But the built in EGs on the Lifeforms is a very cool. I could imagine putting it with a Quantum Rainbow and clean resonant filter like Ripples for instant build your own drums type patches.
...I totally forgot that those are touch pads. I've had good experiences with the Soundmachines pads, but Pressure Points made me not want to go that route again except to get more Soundmachines stuff. I hope I didn't just make a mistake because it's such a cool idea for a module.

I have Knit Rider as well, I just don't use it much since getting Circadian Rhythms. I should like the KR better in theory because I like sixteen step patterns, but those tiny buttons aren't very fun to program with, so I just make do by chaining patterns in Circadian Rhythms and making sixty-four steps my standard of working.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
It's... intentionally unwieldy and... it's gonna blow him away if he likes that sort of thing?
Trade you my Trigger Riot for your Morphagene...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trade you my Trigger Riot for your Morphagene...
lol, if I had any money right now I'd be buying your Trigger Riot anyway. Saw a vid of Devine playing with one of those and a Z8000, and now I'm in lust.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
lol, if I had any money right now I'd be buying your Trigger Riot anyway. Saw a vid of Devine playing with one of those and a Z8000, and now I'm in lust.
They are a really great pair, but the Trigger Riot is just not for me, a little too much going on in the ways I don't care for. But we both know I am weird about that, so I am sure you will love it.

I didn't anticipate this but the combination of the Pithoprakta and Grids is really fantastic, together with the Qcd I have a lot of trig power. Even more if I need it with the Octocontroller. In my smallish system the Trigger riot is a little overkill...you on the other hand...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's definitely a fun box. Back in the old days, I did a lot of movie sampling ... not for vocal snippets like most people did, but for bits of incidental sound and music that I'd then mangle on on the Emax. The Morphagene let's me do that type of stuff again on the modular. It's just with a Clouds and an ER-301 (two other modules with sampling), I spent way too much money on just the Morphagene's UI. And just to rub it in, I just saw that ER-301 v3.x dropped yesterday with sample time stretching. That said, I'm having fun with it. I put Kammerl back on Clouds so I can use it more for beat slicing and drum loop processing.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

PCA finally gave me tracking info for one of these:

Been using the Benjolin combined with some other modules for random needs since pretty early into my eurorack journey, but this should give me lots more options.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
PCA finally gave me tracking info for one of these.
This one's fun. There's a bit of a learning curve with it as it's not as straightforward as say a Wogglebug, but it rewards patience and experimentation.
Old 4 days ago
Just got a Gristleizer. One part of Chris Carter's famed Throbbing Gristle modular, now being offered in Eurorack format by Future Sound Systems.
Future Sound Systems
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's definitely a fun box.
I grabbed a Phonogene while they were going cheap, but I wouldn't mind a Morphagene later on as well. I love feeding the Phonogene voices from my Radio Music and letting it get mutilated. This video from Surachai convinced me I needed it just because you can do so much with so little.

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Just got a Gristleizer. One part of Chris Carter's famed Throbbing Gristle modular, now being offered in Eurorack format by Future Sound Systems.
Future Sound Systems
Awesome! Let us know what you think of the preamp section.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are a really great pair, but the Trigger Riot is just not for me, a little too much going on in the ways I don't care for. But we both know I am weird about that, so I am sure you will love it.
Too much Riot, not enough Trigger? I'd love to trade for it, but all I've got right now that might be getting sold is some guitar gear.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

That TG one i was talking about, earlier in the thread, is nutty good. Basically it can wheeze, glitch, make walls of sound, and, on occaision, in random sample mode, speak. It kinda reminds me of a few Coil songs, in this mode.

Now i totally want to start a mini throbbing gristle box. This thing would fit so perfect, in between a few of pulsing thunderbolts, in those Future Sound System modules.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

TouellSkouarn Skorn Da Bask DIY kit arrived from THONK yesterday,
i don't have much time on my hands so thought id hire a professional builder
they do drink a lot of tea

Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Incoming for me too, waiting for stock to arrive at Found Sound in Melbourne, Australia. Great little store with a nice selection of Euro (and guitars, synths, etc.)!

Blaming genshi's thread ...

::| My Morphagene Reels |::

Some really nice sounds in that vid!
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-mpg12-1050x1328.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Because I don't know how to stop, I grabbed one of these:

And my third one of these:

I think if I can eventually get to four Waveforms, I'll be happy-ish.
How do you like the waveforms compared to the Omikron? I do like the sound of them tend to use them more than the Omikron now.
Old 12 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
How do you like the waveforms compared to the Omikron? I do like the sound of them tend to use them more than the Omikron now.
I don't have any Dreadbox modules (yet?). Funny thing is if I recall correctly, before I bought my other two Waveforms, I'd asked you the very same question. And thanks for pointing me in the direction of these because I'll agree with you that it sucks how easily they can be bumped out of tune, but they sound so good. They held their ground in an a/b with my old Dot Com oscillators, so they let me free a couple grand in Dot Com modules and buy more Eurocrack.
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
...I totally forgot that those are touch pads.
So to follow up on this, the touch pads on the Pittsburgh Percussion Sequencer work great. No problems at all with them. Dare I say, I even like them.

Charcot Circles on the other hand, I'm having to do a LOT of finger-licking to get it to cooperate. I would never want a used one of these; they've got to be covered in saliva.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search