The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
One more:
@ Derp , that uLFO is freaking awesome... but definitely not shallow case friendly, its three layers of boards separated by stand-offs, maybe 2.5" deep inside.
I skipped over that because it was too deep. No longer a problem though,
perhaps I will have another look.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Finally caught a good deal on one. Now my top row with the DFAM is done. My first whole row.

Cool module, though, goes great with the Mux:

Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Found this as a B-stock, so I got it while I was getting the Blofeld and the Nord. I know I've complained about the System 500 modules being too expensive for what they are, but somebody posted a video where they had added this filter to their System 500, and were comparing it to an SH-5 and a 100m. He treated them each differently, but they all sounded fantastic.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Ordered three Bus Boards today, hat tip to @ Reptil for the suggestion a few months ago.

These by MDLR have more connectors than the rest of the competition I looked at, and even with international shipping it was barely over $100 for three of them delivered to my cave in the hills:

My setup was growing so fast I ran out of connectors on the flying bus cables that came with the uZeus. Nice problem to have.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

And then there were two:

Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

And the last one for a week or two, I finally found one of these for the price I was willing/able to pay.

Now I have some Random to go with my Clocked:

Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
And the last one for a week or two, I finally found one of these for the price I was willing/able to pay.

Now I have some Random to go with my Clocked:

I love the URA so much. Lately I’ve been enjoying feeding it different outputs from the Quantum Rainbow 2 and using that to drive my rig sans a traditional sequencer, mostly for generative stuff. Good choice.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I love the URA so much. Lately I’ve been enjoying feeding it different outputs from the Quantum Rainbow 2 and using that to drive my rig sans a traditional sequencer, mostly for generative stuff. Good choice.
I hope @DivKid; is well compensated for his marketing efforts, because his videos alone were the lynchpin to me buying a growing list of specific modules he has videos for, URA included (and Mux and Burst and Cranial Saw, and others on my list).

Dude's a gift to the community, paid or not. I would be so lost sometimes without specific youtube videos on things like this. What a time to be alive.

And thanks for that tip, too. I have so much to learn and think about. It's like an awesome-nado.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
The Instruo stuff sounds amazing, huh?
I was messing around with the Cs-L and Io47 filter yesterday and made this funk bass, mixing the saw of osc A and the sine of osc B.
That thump! now i know what playing a minimoog must feel like.
the PWM sounds great as well, the one from osc B has a very different character.

The only thing is i can't help thinking what it must be like to have a polyphonic version of this. It's just so musical for keys, bells and soft sounds...

did the maths to build a four-voice system with these...

I did get an Es-3 i'm using with the ableton CV-tools. They can do envelopes as well, so 4 cv and 4 beit digital envelopes i could do already, but i'd still need 4 Cs-L's, 4 Io47's and 4 vca's, and 4 vca/mixers for mixing in multiple waveforms into each filter/voice

turns out a moog one would be almost cheaper...

it'd be amazing, though
i loved the sounds & videos of the oberheim 4 & 8-voice. The possibility of having each voice being slightly different, or do like a 4 voice round-robin arp...mmm
Polyphony in modular is tempting indeed, but wow can things get expensive and unwieldy. Fast.

At some point, I plan on upgrading to a Doepfer monster case plus monster base and putting together a Doepfer four-voice.

Until then, though, I will continue using dedicated pre-patched polysynths for most of my polyphonic needs. They're just so much easier and less expensive to use.

I think a duophonic Instruō system is the largest I could realistically envision.

Still, one can always dream.

I will say, though, that since getting a Baloran River, I have a new respect for paraphonic sounds.

The River adds 8 voices to my system, but I've only got enough filters, envelopes and vcas to create 3-4 polyphonic voices at most. So most of the time, I'm processing it paraphonically.

But you can do a heck of a lot with that! Much more than I ever imagined.

Paraphonic rocks!
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
perhaps I will have another look.
Definitely have another look (at the uLFO). I don't have much to compare it too, in dedicated LFO modules, but here's what I like about it, namely that I can do many things at once with it:

* take Pulse-out as one mod source, and feed the PWM-in with a unique mod source of its own, that way wiggling the Pulse Width and PW Mod knobs while something is playing yields lots of variations.

* and take the SineShaped-out as another mod source, feeding its associated SineMod-in with yet another unique mod source, so that the Sine Shape and Sine Mod knobs yield many options.

* which still leaves available the Saw-out, Ramp-out, Tri-out, and Sine-out, and FM1-in, FM2-in, both Lin/Expo switches for FM1/FM2, knobs for FM1 and FM2, and everything all that can do at once.

All from one common clock, or unclocked but with the common Coarse and Fine pitch controls.

Maybe many LFO modules can do all this at once, I'm not sure. I have a sense that it's definitely rare-ish for a single analog LFO module to do all this, and have a dedicated v/oct input that tracks well, and the Clock out, too. All for under $200, used.

I'm getting a second one soon. Very musical, useful ranges on the knobs, built well, all that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
here you can download the Instruo i-o47 filter sweeps > WeTransfer
Would it be possible for you to re-upload these audio files? The link has inspired. (EDIT -- Actually I intended to write "expired" here. But "inspired" also works. )

It's not often I will buy modules I've never seen or heard, but based on positive experience with other Instruō modules, I placed an order for an I-ō47.

Yet I've still not heard a single bleep or bloop from it, despite having scoured the net. The anticipation is killing me.

Please help.

Last edited by maisonvague; 4 weeks ago at 10:42 AM.. Reason: expired not inspired
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Polyphony in modular is tempting indeed, but wow can things get expensive and unwieldy. Fast.

At some point, I plan on upgrading to a Doepfer monster case plus monster base and putting together a Doepfer four-voice.

Until then, though, I will continue using dedicated pre-patched polysynths for most of my polyphonic needs. They're just so much easier and less expensive to use.

I think a duophonic Instruō system is the largest I could realistically envision.

Still, one can always dream.

I will say, though, that since getting a Baloran River, I have a new respect for paraphonic sounds.

The River adds 8 voices to my system, but I've only got enough filters, envelopes and vcas to create 3-4 polyphonic voices at most. So most of the time, I'm processing it paraphonically.

But you can do a heck of a lot with that! Much more than I ever imagined.

Paraphonic rocks!
I'm going to "cheat" by modding my Boog to access the Oscillators individually,.so that gets me three, and Ill use thr Cranial Saw I already habe for other reasons as Oscillator 4, to be fed by a Harmonaig. It'll be a bit of a hodge podge, and may need adjustments, because I'll just use everything else I have to make it work, so different filters and such per voice. At first. I'll get it whatever it needs, over time.

I'm also looking to feed another four voices of a PerFourMer (or however its written) from eurorack, from some other 4-part Quantizer to accompany the Harmonaig I haven't bought yet but will soon. That'll give me 2x 4part options, in the racks.

I will own a River one day, maybe one year or two.

Until then my TX7 or ITB options that include Kontakt pianos and things, or the above is all the keyboard polyphony I have, so I'm eager to get enough dedicated modules to eek our the ability to at least pull off 3part chords on demand, preferrably more.

Its an expensive way to get polyphony for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to "cheat" by modding my Boog to access the Oscillators individually,.so that gets me three, and Ill use thr Cranial Saw I already habe for other reasons as Oscillator 4, to be fed by a Harmonaig. It'll be a bit of a hodge podge, and may need adjustments, because I'll just use everything else I have to make it work, so different filters and such per voice. At first. I'll get it whatever it needs, over time.
Yes, since a chord is defined by 3-voices, that's your minimum. Ideal for me are 4-voices (SATB).

Maximum polyphony in my current system--with matching VCOs, VCFs and VCAs--is only 3-voices. To get more, I need to go hybrid (which, of course, does have its benefits creatively).

But for a homogenous sound on the cheap, paraphonic is the way to go. As a former polysynth snob I used to dismiss paraphonic as the domain of "inferior" stringers and such, but getting back into modular changed all that.

Because of limitations, I'm forced to kludge things--but these kludges can become what makes a sound interesting and unique.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Adding some chaos to my system...

New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-wogglebug.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-wogglebug.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Would it be possible for you to re-upload these audio files? The link has inspired. (EDIT -- Actually I intended to write "expired" here. But "inspired" also works. )

It's not often I will buy modules I've never seen or heard, but based on positive experience with other Instruō modules, I placed an order for an I-ō47.

Yet I've still not heard a single bleep or bloop from it, despite having scoured the net. The anticipation is killing me.

Please help.
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3d4...3194118/be5b4f

Just simple filter sweeps. I increased the resonance from sweep to sweep, so please be carefull because it can get loud and maybe earpiercing.

Since I recorded those sweeps I got to know the filter better and learned a few things:

- resonance behaves like a normal resonance until about 50% or little bit more, above it can and will get wild. Jason says this behaviour is intended and is especially useful when pinging the filter. he's right. But it can distort when you don't ping, which you can hear in the samples. I don't ping filters often, so I hardly go above 50%.
- the notch is really cool and I use it a lot because of its fc control. fc turned fully ccw sounds like the lowpass and fully cw like the highpass. you can sweep from lp to hp and cv it. The 3 notch samples show how different it sounds with fc set to 1/4, 1 and 4.
- the second mixer input is special too. it is in relation with the resonance.

It's a keeper for sure and I think you'll love it too!

Sometimes when I want to make something thicker in tone I use its notch (fc set near 1/4) and patch its lowpass into the second input. It can make basses too fat =)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
Just simple filter sweeps.
Thanks, Nebula! I've really enjoyed listening to those (as only a modular freak could).

The sound of this thing is exactly what I was hoping for--something different from what I already have. I've also asked Jason to make me a Vinca VCA. So, in a short time (I hope), I will have a complete Instruō system with the minimum requirements of VCO+VCF+VCA+ENV (although, of course, as you know, with these modules, one is getting a lot more than that).

I'm stoked!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks, Nebula! I've really enjoyed listening to those (as only a modular freak could).

The sound of this thing is exactly what I was hoping for--something different from what I already have. I've also asked Jason to make me a Vinca VCA. So, in a short time (I hope), I will have a complete Instruō system with the minimum requirements of VCO+VCF+VCA+ENV (although, of course, as you know, with these modules, one is getting a lot more than that).

I'm stoked!
My pleasure.

I am curious how you'll like the Vinca.

And I think we both can't wait for the arbhar and Lúbadh to get released =) I am already daydreaming of what I will do with the arbhar. Its built in mic will get lots of use.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

just got this new cable holder thing
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-9516_20190629_190812_2.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
just got this new cable holder thing
Is that the Synthesizers.com cable holder?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Is that the Synthesizers.com cable holder?
nope, eurodesk-z. He also makes eurorack ones, but this was one of their first runs of 1/4 jack sized ones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

my jove has finally arrived...sounds amazing

New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-photo-jul-01-22-50-40.jpg

New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-photo-jul-01-22-46-51.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-photo-jul-01-22-50-40.jpg   New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-photo-jul-01-22-46-51.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
I really hate that that filter is so big :/
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
There's a uJove...

MW Link

Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
There's a uJove...
I believe thats a DIY thing with SMD parts, which I cant solder.
I believe they also made the deal that no one was allowed to sell them pre-build, boo!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Add another rack.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Add another rack.
I hate you
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Barton BMC004 Clock+ divider was back in stock at SynthCube. Forgot I was looking for one until they sent me the reminder. Added to the build pile.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe thats a DIY thing with SMD parts, which I cant solder.
I believe they also made the deal that no one was allowed to sell them pre-build, boo!
Maybe hire a builder in the DIY sub forum...?

It is surprisingly affordable, in my experience.
Old 2 weeks ago
Well, actually I shouldnt even be thinking about this, have too many modules as it is already, haha!

Should receive my new MDLR case (14U, 126HP) next week, yay!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ordered one of these:

And one of these:

More Triggers just made sense since I’m already a fan of the NerdSEQ and it will make drum programming that much easier. The midi merge is so I can program the Nord Drum 3P from either my Squarp Pyramid or using triggers from the trigger to midi box I have (hence justifying the “More Triggers” expander), while simultaneously being able to use the awesome M4L editor I found for the 3P to dial in sounds, and without faffing around with swapping cables.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search