The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1441
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Nice setup! I like that waldorf case as well, very cool
Thanks!

Yes, the Waldorf kb37 is awesome. I would only recommend it, though, if you're keyboard oriented because it can be restrictive--not just because of limited HP, but also because of the interface itself.

When putting together my first modular, I purposefully avoided having any kind of permanent keyboard interface attached, or any absolute reliance on MIDI (although it does contain a MIDI interface). As it is, it can be played entirely as a self-contained instrument without a keyboard interface.

But for me, as a classically-trained pianist, this is a bit like fighting with one hand tied behind my back. For this new rig I'm putting together, I want to take advantage of advanced keyboard technique--not for the sake of virtuosity, but rather simply to embrace my abilities and, in part, my identity as a keyboardist.

Still, there is much to be said in favor of avoiding keyboards in modular systems.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1442
Gear Maniac
 
pekbro's Avatar
 

@ maisonvague ,

Yeah, I haven't had much luck using a keyboard with my modular so far. Although, I have to go about it
in a round about way as I have no direct midi to CV modules. I can do it, but there is some delay which
makes it pretty much unusable. Fortunately, I love sequencers and have that covered well.

On Topic:

I did happen upon these nice 6061-T6 Precipitation-Hardened Aluminum Alloy skiffs made by Delta Sound,
and bought the last one actually

They are definitely going to make more at some point though, possibly with more size options.

Just an option for any who might find this type of case appealing...
You can get them powered (2.5 amp proprietary PSU) if desired.
Keep an eye on the website if you like them...

https://deltasoundlabs.com

Old 2 weeks ago
  #1443
Lives for gear
 

Picked up another LFO while trolling for bargains.

I've read that these are very good, just not that trendy these days. Resetting them is apparently a pain, but it appears it is actually possible. Besides that it seems very full featured, and I guess some people use them for VCOs. Seems weird, but okay.

Old 2 weeks ago
  #1444
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
All great choices!

I highly recommend adding the A-154 Sequencer Controller at some point. It brings the A-155 to a new level.
Yeah i have been looking for one, heard that adding a second A-155 after that is really fun!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1445
Here for the gear
 
Lisa's Avatar
Got myself a Instruō Cš-L. Way different from Make Noise DPO.. I didn't expect that at all.

Old 2 weeks ago
  #1446
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Picked up another LFO while trolling for bargains.

I've read that these are very good, just not that trendy these days. Resetting them is apparently a pain, but it appears it is actually possible. Besides that it seems very full featured, and I guess some people use them for VCOs. Seems weird, but okay.

Somehow I don't own one even though it was reading about this module that got me into modular. The appeal with this one is its range is huge from audio rate all the way down to forty-five minute cycles. I need to throw this one on my wishlist. It's been out of favor for so long that it's gotta be pretty cheap these days.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1447
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Somehow I don't own one even though it was reading about this module that got me into modular. The appeal with this one is its range is huge from audio rate all the way down to forty-five minute cycles. I need to throw this one on my wishlist. It's been out of favor for so long that it's gotta be pretty cheap these days.
The super slowness and variety of waveforms was what I find most appealing about it.

Mine is being delivered for a touch under $150, which is about $30 less than the average I've seen.

Apparently to reset it via the Sync In is finicky AF, but some use a Doepfer 183-2, and a couple of other solutions like that, and that's another $50...

Are there other LFOs that are known to be good at very slow and subtle modulation?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1448
M32
Lives for gear
The Instruo stuff sounds amazing, huh?
I was messing around with the Cs-L and Io47 filter yesterday and made this funk bass, mixing the saw of osc A and the sine of osc B.
That thump! now i know what playing a minimoog must feel like.
the PWM sounds great as well, the one from osc B has a very different character.

The only thing is i can't help thinking what it must be like to have a polyphonic version of this. It's just so musical for keys, bells and soft sounds...

did the maths to build a four-voice system with these...

I did get an Es-3 i'm using with the ableton CV-tools. They can do envelopes as well, so 4 cv and 4 beit digital envelopes i could do already, but i'd still need 4 Cs-L's, 4 Io47's and 4 vca's, and 4 vca/mixers for mixing in multiple waveforms into each filter/voice

turns out a moog one would be almost cheaper...

it'd be amazing, though
i loved the sounds & videos of the oberheim 4 & 8-voice. The possibility of having each voice being slightly different, or do like a 4 voice round-robin arp...mmm
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-4voice.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #1449
Gear Maniac
 
pekbro's Avatar
 

X-PAN seems very good so far, worth looking at imho, particularly if you have a few stereo modules to work with.
Old 1 week ago
  #1450
Gear Head
 
Clumsy's Avatar
 

I wasn't going to buy any new modules so soon after the last but my Beatstep Pro developed a problem with the USB connector so I needed a new source of clocks and triggers. Enter "Pamela's New Workout" (which was on my wish list anyway).

New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-pnw.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-pnw.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #1451
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsy View Post
I wasn't going to buy any new modules so soon after the last but my Beatstep Pro developed a problem with the USB connector so I needed a new source of clocks and triggers. Enter "Pamela's New Workout" (which was on my wish list anyway).

I would like a New Pam's.

I'm about to take my BSPro apart and solder a pigtail on there specifically for power to provide relief on that usb jack (by omitting it altogether, for power), after notic8ng it myself and reading a few reports online. I see where some people build a brace to hold the USB cable steady, too.

Don't toss that BSP, it can be fixed... DIY style.
Old 1 week ago
  #1452
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Are there other LFOs that are known to be good at very slow and subtle modulation?
I mean, it’s not technically a LFO I guess, but Triple Sloths all day erryday my friend. That has become my go-to modulation source for patches I would have previously used an LFO in. I particularly like pairing it with the Worng Vector Space and/or Mannequins Cold Mac and patching it out everywhere for subtle modulation over time. Highly recommended. I still use my other LFOs, but for slow modulation it’s arguably the best.

Maths can get pretty slow (30+ minutes IIRC), as well as Batumi, and the Octocontroller is great if you turn clock division way down but still want something synced to a clock. But nothing beats Triple Sloths for sloooooooooooooooow modulation.
Old 1 week ago
  #1453
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I mean, it’s not technically a LFO I guess, but Triple Sloths all day erryday my friend. That has become my go-to modulation source for patches I would have previously used an LFO in. I particularly like pairing it with the Worng Vector Space and/or Mannequins Cold Mac and patching it out everywhere for subtle modulation over time. Highly recommended. I still use my other LFOs, but for slow modulation it’s arguably the best.

Maths can get pretty slow (30+ minutes IIRC), as well as Batumi, and the Octocontroller is great if you turn clock division way down but still want something synced to a clock. But nothing beats Triple Sloths for sloooooooooooooooow modulation.
I have a Triple Sloths, Cold Mac, Maths, and Vector Space on my "list" already, so that's good. Thanks.

I can see my eurorack needs splitting into two distinct areas now - percussion and melodic.

And each have different module needs of their own, with some overlap. It's a lot to keep straight.

And more expensive.



I need to order more rails and a second power supply so that my second case is actually useful.

One case will now have to be exclusively for Percussion, and the other(s) for Melodic modules.

My list of wants just for Percussion isn't short... a Pithoprakta, a Trigger Riot, New Pam's, Branches, something for Logic, Burst, several effects/filters...

Who cares, it's only money, and no other non modular Hardware comes close to what it can do. My capabilities are improving with each addition.
Old 1 week ago
  #1454
Gear Maniac
 
pekbro's Avatar
 

Here's a pic of one thing you can do with the aluminum alloy case above, a mirror finish.
The thing is a tank, 1/4 '' ends, maybe 3/8 '' walls, no rails, the rails are machined into the walls
holding a threaded strip (M2.5 threads).


Last edited by pekbro; 1 week ago at 11:12 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 1 week ago
  #1455
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Here's a pic of one thing you can do with the aluminum alloy case above, a mirror finish.
The thing is a tank, 1/4 '' ends, maybe 3/16 '' walls, no rails, the rails are machined into the walls
holding a threaded strip (M2.5 threads).

Looks cool. Durable, too.

Is that a Toft ATB next to it?
Old 1 week ago
  #1456
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I have a Triple Sloths, Cold Mac, Maths, and Vector Space on my "list" already, so that's good. Thanks.

I can see my eurorack needs splitting into two distinct areas now - percussion and melodic.

And each have different module needs of their own, with some overlap. It's a lot to keep straight.

And more expensive.



I need to order more rails and a second power supply so that my second case is actually useful.

One case will now have to be exclusively for Percussion, and the other(s) for Melodic modules.

My list of wants just for Percussion isn't short... a Pithoprakta, a Trigger Riot, New Pam's, Branches, something for Logic, Burst, several effects/filters...

Who cares, it's only money, and no other non modular Hardware comes close to what it can do. My capabilities are improving with each addition.
Just give me your credit card info and shipping address and I’ll sort it out for you

Seriously tho, my musical tastes and goals are pretty wide in range, and while there’s definitely certain collections of modules I have that were picked to fit together for those more specific goals, there’s no reason they can’t be applied in different ways. I got Triple Sloths primarily for drones, but it’s wicked for sending evolving modulation to anything (such as a VCA controlling a hi hat)...or while I got Branches to trigger drums, it’s as good or better for triggers/gates out to other things. Those are pretty simple examples, but the point being that it’s all just voltage and it’s up to you to determine how it is applied in your patch. Especially when it comes to voltage and modulation, I say just go nuts. My favorite patches lately have been with the Quantum Rainbow 2 into the URA driving the rest of my rig, sans any kind of traditional sequencer, and depending on how I patch it that could lead to a crazy drone patch or driving techno or many other flavors. I have a few cases optimized for certain tasks, but the joy of the format is that they could easily go in different ways depending on how you wire them up.
Old 1 week ago
  #1457
Gear Head
 
Clumsy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Don't toss that BSP, it can be fixed... DIY style.
My DIY skills are wretched but I won't throw it out. Maybe some time I'll have a go. For now the Pam's will keep me happy (although it's easy to use up the eight outputs)
Old 1 week ago
  #1458
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
When I first got my fast Sloth and torpor Sloth (this was before the Triple Sloth was a thing), I used to patch them into everything. I don't really use that much slow modulation these days, but man are they cool. Chaos generation in general is a cool thing though, so my Dreamboat gets thrown into an S&H a lot.
Old 1 week ago
  #1459
Lives for gear
 

Here are some baby sloths in a bucket, because:

Old 1 week ago
  #1460
M32
Lives for gear
Just got me some input/output modules

Befaco Stereo Mixer
Joranalogue Transmit2
Expert Sleepers Es-3

With the Es3 i now have 8 channels of audio/Cv straight from my DAW, and the new Live10 cv tools work great! i can now sequence 4 voices without latency straight from within my projects. sweeet

The Transmit 2 is great too, the sound quality and gain staging is so much better now. You can do without, but i could instantly hear a big difference. Noisefloor is even lower now (it was already negligeable, but still, whooptidoo!)

Now waiting for a bigger case that's somewhere in mail-package limbo travelling the country. F'in delivery services...
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-img_20190612_181924.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #1461
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Just give me your credit card info and shipping address and I’ll sort it out for you

Seriously tho, my musical tastes and goals are pretty wide in range, and while there’s definitely certain collections of modules I have that were picked to fit together for those more specific goals, there’s no reason they can’t be applied in different ways.
:D

True. My challenge is primarily centered around wanting my eurorack setup to do several things at the same time, which impacts the typical flexibility of many modules I have and will ultimately have.

For example, yes - Branches can do more than add variety to High Hat patterns, but only if I have more than one of them since mine will be used for a certain use case more often than anything else.

Seemingly strangely enough, the first thing I do with my setup and new modules is to see what sort of Normalized situation a given module will most likely spend its life, and there it often stays.

I'm basically building a large, custom, semi modular setup tailored to my specific wants and needs. All black patch cables will be my Normaled connections, all dark gray will be Clocks, etc.

Non-grayscale colors will be Pitch and Melody...

I will still undo and redo things as I please, too, but what it means is that I will need some multiples of various modules and types of modules, and that just because I got an X doesn't help in other areas.

My Muxlicer, STE.16, and PEG are almost entirely reserved for Percussion activities, while the uLFO and Doepfer 183-2 that goes with it will likely stay married to the Cranial Saw in a more Melodic role.

And separating those Perc and Melody roles by case (when I fully expect to have a bunch more of each type) helps me mentally keep track of it all for now. These "rules" are quite flexible, of course.
Old 1 week ago
  #1462
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Just got me some input/output modules

Befaco Stereo Mixer
Joranalogue Transmit2
Expert Sleepers Es-3

With the Es3 i now have 8 channels of audio/Cv straight from my DAW, and the new Live10 cv tools work great! i can now sequence 4 voices without latency straight from within my projects. sweeet

The Transmit 2 is great too, the sound quality and gain staging is so much better now. You can do without, but i could instantly hear a big difference. Noisefloor is even lower now (it was already negligeable, but still, whooptidoo!)

Now waiting for a bigger case that's somewhere in mail-package limbo travelling the country. F'in delivery services...
You're hearing a meaningful and positive difference between just plugging your modular straight into something (mixer or interface, I take it) and now with your new dedicated Output module?

Curious.
Old 1 week ago
  #1463
M32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
You're hearing a meaningful and positive difference between just plugging your modular straight into something (mixer or interface, I take it) and now with your new dedicated Output module?

Curious.
err... what's meaningfull? It does make a difference, especially in the dynamic range. The levels sit better, where they would more easily overload the interface preamp, so now i can have a bit louder overall input level. Also, between the mixer and output module, i can balance the gain staging much better, also when blending multiple sources

I think the fact i'm using xlr connections instead of jacks is also making a difference. Maybe due to what input circuit is being used on the interface.

There's probably a bit of snake-oil, placebo effect in there too, but when it sounds this good,
who cares? Me happy.
Old 1 week ago
  #1464
Gear Maniac
 
pekbro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
:D

True. My challenge is primarily centered around wanting my eurorack setup to do several things at the same time, which impacts the typical flexibility of many modules I have and will ultimately have.

For example, yes - Branches can do more than add variety to High Hat patterns, but only if I have more than one of them since mine will be used for a certain use case more often than anything else.

Seemingly strangely enough, the first thing I do with my setup and new modules is to see what sort of Normalized situation a given module will most likely spend its life, and there it often stays.

I'm basically building a large, custom, semi modular setup tailored to my specific wants and needs. All black patch cables will be my Normaled connections, all dark gray will be Clocks, etc.

Non-grayscale colors will be Pitch and Melody...

I will still undo and redo things as I please, too, but what it means is that I will need some multiples of various modules and types of modules, and that just because I got an X doesn't help in other areas.

My Muxlicer, STE.16, and PEG are almost entirely reserved for Percussion activities, while the uLFO and Doepfer 183-2 that goes with it will likely stay married to the Cranial Saw in a more Melodic role.

And separating those Perc and Melody roles by case (when I fully expect to have a bunch more of each type) helps me mentally keep track of it all for now. These "rules" are quite flexible, of course.
This is kinda why I got a sampler right off. A Sampler can provide anything.
Wanting to build every sound with specific modules is a fine goal, but not
always practical. Also, you can always record modules doing one thing, and
use them differently while still having that first thing going.

For me having groups of modules tailored for different roles is cool, but
it's also a "for the long run" goal. When my familiarity with modules
an how I want to work with them is deep enough to know how they
are best utilized for "my way" of working (which isn't always the norm). *shrugs
Old 1 week ago
  #1465
Lives for gear
 

I dunno about forum rules, but there is a steal of a deal on an Instruo filter on Reverb right now, showed up in my feed today. No affiliation at all...

PM me if you need help finding it.

I suspect a direct link is uncool. Just trying to pass along savings. I haven't seen one this inexpensive before.
Old 1 week ago
  #1466
Lives for gear
 

I've decided to get the Maths, Tempi, Wogglebug, Rene 2, Brains, and 2x Pressure Points combo as a controller (a few sequencers, the touch pads, and and clock distro setup), so today I grabbed this combo, both for less than a new Pressure Points:

Old 1 week ago
  #1467
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I've decided to get the Maths, Tempi, Wogglebug, Rene 2, Brains, and 2x Pressure Points combo as a controller (a few sequencers, the touch pads, and and clock distro setup), so today I grabbed this combo, both for less than a new Pressure Points:

Very cool! When the Pro One finally ships, I've been toying with the idea of repurposing the case to put together a Make Noise sequencer similar to what you're making.
Old 1 week ago
  #1468
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Very cool! When the Pro One finally ships, I've been toying with the idea of repurposing the case to put together a Make Noise sequencer similar to what you're making.
Cool.

I'm not suggesting it's some be-all-end-all setup or anything, but I like what it does, and wanted a mix of playable eurorack controllers and sequencers with my MIDI controllers, and I never much "got" Make Noise stuff until watching all of those videos on the Rene (1 and now 2, a clear improvement) with PP + Brains, supplemented by the Wogglebug and Maths, and it all finally made sense, as a group, and suddenly I was picking up what they're putting down, and now I'm on board, all in about a week.. Yay for the YouTube era and demos of modules and combinations.

I'm filling my Boog, DFAM, and Pro-1 cases w/ effects, a mix of eurorack and pedal guts w/ panels, converters in the racks too, each pod ready to go, with its own unified power (somehow). I have a set of Bi-Phase PCBs, things like that, with eurorack filters, etc. Sold my Neutron. It lost out on space, and the Pro-1 having the same Oscillators. Pretty cool synth otherwise.

Back to now - I think I will squeeze another 114 HP row in the the other half of my first case (with the black BSPro and the PO33 KO), immediately in front of the other 9U, sort of like this. I have enough extra rails already (case full of hopes and dreams shown... featuring lessoms learned here, and the Boog, Pro-1, Cranial Saw, uLFO, etc, and the MS-20 will be in my other case, I think):



Old 1 week ago
  #1469
Lives for gear
 

Today it sits like this, with new modules arriving most weeks, while I lurk in all of the sales places online and watch for great deals. Case two will get rails and a power supply next month I think:

Old 1 week ago
  #1470
Lives for gear
 

One more:
@ Derp , that uLFO is freaking awesome... but definitely not shallow case friendly, its three layers of boards separated by stand-offs, maybe 2.5" deep inside.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump