The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I read the description for that module and I'm still not sure what it really does or what it's used for.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I said I was done with my last purchase of modules, but then I got to thinking that if I got another HEK I could add the rails/ears to my current 6U HEK to add another row for those last couple modules I want, and use the uZeus power in one of my empty Moog M32/DFAM cases for a study rack for deeper learning modules without the distraction of the rest of my rig (ie something to throw a few modules in and work with in the living room to learn better), and just add more sliding nuts to the Moog case and the beefier power adapter for the bigger racked uZeus. So:

Includes the 4 extra patch cables. Also order 100 M3 square nuts (despite only needing a handful), and a power cable for the more powerful uZeus power adapter once I eventually get one (out of stock right now and not an immediate necessity, so I’ll add it to the next big module purchase).

Also thought it would be sensible to put my Disting MK3 in the study rack for versatility of functions in a small space, but didn’t want to deal with pulling it in and out of the rack it’s in since it’s a tight fit (snuck an extra 1Hp into my big case thanks to sliding nuts, but it’s a pain to get it all in), so why not upgrade the one in the big case?

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Let me know what you think of that one. Someone hyped me on it recently despite my saying I didn’t need more sequencers, and now I kinda think I need one of those.
Honeymoon phase warning. Just got it in and installed. If you have a specific sequence in mind, this isn't the sequencer for you. If you love happy accidents and controlled randomization, then this thing is a beast. Without even reading the manual, I got a badass sequence out of it. Its quantization only goes as far as semitone, so this is meant for making some angry music. I could see this being the module that reshapes somebody's whole composition process. Again total honeymoon phase but at this moment, this is my favorite CV sequencer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I read the description for that module and I'm still not sure what it really does or what it's used for.
It's kind of like a half-wave rectifier. You take two or more CV signals, input them, and it hacks them together. NLC's work fascinates me anyway because of his chaos modules and the whole CELLF project.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
[B]I could see this being the module that reshapes somebody's whole composition process.
It did exactly that for me. Suddenly it's relatively easy to come up with real song structures and perform them on the spot, while still being able to improvise with a fast and easy "escape route" if things go wrong via the undo button. I mentioned earlier I didn't like the encoder knob.. well, I changed my mind.. it's frickin' awesome! In combination with the zero button it makes it easy to slightly tweak a sequence and save the variation in another spot that can be switched between.

What I don't like now is the close proximity of the load and save buttons.. The load button is used all the time to switch between my patterns and variations of patterns, and it's happened a few times that I've deleted a part instead of switching to it because of pressing the wrong button
Old 1 week ago

Not modular, but I am going to control some of my modular with it (via the ES FH-2). Anyway I am trying to quit the EMP forum, it's bad for my health.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've had my eye on this for a long time, but was only recently inspired to take the dive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Told myself I was going to slow my roll on Euro, but I never thought I'd stumble on one of these, so I had to get it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

Told myself I was going to slow my roll on Euro, but I never thought I'd stumble on one of these, so I had to get it.
Wattafak is it?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jomox Modbase
Scratch that. Seller cancelled saying he wanted to keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Wattafak is it?
Befaker Arradio. It's an FM radio with CV control.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Well, I just picked up a Disting, Springray II, and a 2HP Delay to complete my second case.

That's it for now!

Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
I started to fill out my rack a bit more, needed more space (coming from a Tiptop HEK) and more modulation.

Doepfer LC9

ALM Pam's New Workout (with DinSync cable for connection to Analog Four). Been using this for clocks and a bit for LFOs, has a lot of depth so figured its good for keeping long term.

Mutable Instruments Stages as I think it looked really useful whether I wanted to sequence, use it as LFOs and Envelopes

Mutable Instruments Marbles for Randomness.

Mutable Instruments Grids. Saw this going for a good price, there might be some overlap with Marbles but I think it's good to have an alternative.

ES Disting MK4 because I of the variety of things that it can be, just seemed to damn useful in a limited setup.

Noise Engineering BIA - love the sound of it and suites some of the techno I am doing.

Now I am wondering if I should get a Quad VCA and something to mix CV
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc3 View Post
Noise Engineering BIA - love the sound of it and suites some of the techno I am doing.
BIA is probably my favourite module. It's fantastic.

As for the Doepfer LC9 - that's what I've got the above set up housed in.

Fantastic value for money, and never had a single issue.

Also takes nicely to Danish Walnut treatment, and stickers.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

This arrived recently. It will be a modulation source instead of a distortion unit:

And this arrived today to go with the Torcido:

Lucky to find both for >$500. Not bad for a mini Roland voice. Will add more to it later.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

And that makes Waveforms number eight. The seller of the SE Oscillation still hasn't shipped. He communicated intent to ship, so don't know what the hold up is. I might have to go for a refund, but REALLY not wanting to go that route, so I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

And that makes Waveforms number eight. The seller of the SE Oscillation still hasn't shipped. He communicated intent to ship, so don't know what the hold up is. I might have to go for a refund, but REALLY not wanting to go that route, so I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Number eight? Do you have a patch/track using all 7 you have so far? What filter do you like to use with them? I haven't used my two in a while but really only because I tried to simplify everything into two 124hp rows as it all becomes too much for brain to think through at once. In fact I was thinking it was so much easier just having 4 or 5 modules when I started just to explore those possibilities but hard to go back as well.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Number eight? Do you have a patch/track using all 7 you have so far? What filter do you like to use with them? I haven't used my two in a while but really only because I tried to simplify everything into two 124hp rows as it all becomes too much for brain to think through at once. In fact I was thinking it was so much easier just having 4 or 5 modules when I started just to explore those possibilities but hard to go back as well.
I haven't had a patch with all of them yet. Was waiting until number eight to unleash the modulated havoc. I did make one last night with three signs running, each controlled by a channel of Telephone Game running through Rings. Ideally I'd like to treat them like I did the Dot Com Q106's where I would chain them together, run them through heavy overdrive, and then calm it all down with some low-cutoff lowpassing before hitting a spring reverb. I really loved that sound.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't had a patch with all of them yet. Was waiting until number eight to unleash the modulated havoc. I did make one last night with three signs running, each controlled by a channel of Telephone Game running through Rings. Ideally I'd like to treat them like I did the Dot Com Q106's where I would chain them together, run them through heavy overdrive, and then calm it all down with some low-cutoff lowpassing before hitting a spring reverb. I really loved that sound.
Sounds amazing conceptually. I can almost imagine how raw and delicious it sounds the way you describe it, like someone showing you a picture of a stacked burger without being able to eat it. Want to hear that one
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
BIA is probably my favourite module. It's fantastic.

As for the Doepfer LC9 - that's what I've got the above set up housed in.

Fantastic value for money, and never had a single issue.

Also takes nicely to Danish Walnut treatment, and stickers.
Nice, do you have any pictures?

BIA is awesome, really responds well to a lot of modulation
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Talking

Quote:
Yeah, seven just doesn't seem like enough. LOL!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

First new purchase in a while, Erica Fusion Plasma Drive.

This thing is huge! Probably the deepest module I have, even deeper than the Magneto. Definitely not "skiff" friendly and I wish it was a little bit brighter, but it does wonders with even something as simple as a sine wave. The octave controls are fun and have some interesting effects in themselves. Only had a few minutes on it with a busy weekend (helping my daughter's team at a big robotics competition). Looking forward to get some real time with it next week.

Edit: Got a little more time with this thing ... Patching it like you'd patch a VCF, sounds pretty fscking cool. Really needs a compressor at the end of the chain if you really want to play with all the tone controls though.
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-plasma.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

They look cool.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Another naughty week
Attached Thumbnails
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread-comno.png  
Old 12 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post

Not modular, but I am going to control some of my modular with it (via the ES FH-2). Anyway I am trying to quit the EMP forum, it's bad for my health.
I find this forum worse for my health as modular is more expensive (or has been). I'm happy with my modular set up now and have gone back to adding to my set up with some built synths, nothing extravagant as I already have a few synths but the Moog Minitaur seems like it's going to fit that deep Moog bass gap alongside my slim phatty

Elektron Model:Samples sounds interesting for using with modular. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
I find this forum worse for my health as modular is more expensive (or has been). I'm happy with my modular set up now and have gone back to adding to my set up with some built synths, nothing extravagant as I already have a few synths but the Moog Minitaur seems like it's going to fit that deep Moog bass gap alongside my slim phatty

Elektron Model:Samples sounds interesting for using with modular. Let us know how it goes.
The sequencer is monophonic and outputs 3 things: Note, Gate, and Velocity. Very simple and very easy to use if you are already familiar with Elektrons like me. Very easy to implement with the Expert Sleepers FH-2 as a 5-track drum sequencer and a mono sequencer with Note, Gate and Velocity outs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search