The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Modular Gear Purchase Thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I just can't justify most new Euro module purchases, especially as many are now $350 to $550. Crazy price for a single function module!
I feel you so much on this. Most of my system came from low to mid-priced modules. Now the stuff that piques my interest end up being way more expensive than the price ranges I'm used to looking at. I'll be the first to admit that the System-500 I bought was a moronic and overpriced thing to buy, even with the b-stock discount. The modules are good, but they aren't $350+ a piece good. Used to be that $350 was the top end of what I would buy, and it had to be damn good to justify that price. Since my system is sort of organized by purchase date, you can physically see the value of each case as time went on start to get ludicrous. A lot of stuff I buy is either old or available on a payment plan because ridiculous expenditures aside, I can't afford to be dropping $500+ on a module.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Since getting the Cranial Saw, I've been tempted to get those two. I've already got the Defibrillator in its original form of the SY02, but I love the form factor (and I REALLY want the blood-splatter paintjob!) You'll have to let us know how time treats them.
Yes, I was attracted to these line of modules because:
1) Their look! I really like how they look, I wish there were more modules from AS in this line which sadly now looks to be discontinued- Probably due to the majority of eurorack users preferring more compact modules (or more dense big modules) all in the name of saving HPs.

2) Yes, as you said, the form factor. Enough space for hands-on tweaking, live and 'while recording'. I have a lot of modules that are indeed compact, or just single function tiny e.g. 2HP and some PICO... so it's nice to have some bigger form factor units here and there. And they are not too big, it's not like there is wasted space on these anyway.

Sadly I didn't get a chance to connect any of these latest purchases, room should be ready soon.

on top of that, yes I like the AS raw vintage sound I hear from their demos and I do not own any AS voice synth or modules, so I will surely get the Cranial Saw as soon as I find a good deal.

There are a couple of more modules in this line,
Polygene: 4 voices Midi to CV converter
Voice Box: a speaker

As much as I would love to have them just because they would look greate all together, I do not need a 4 voices Midi to CV right now, and I do not necessarily need one or two of those speakers. Maybe if I find them for real peanuts second hand am I give it a shot but not a priority for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
on top of that, yes I like the AS raw vintage sound I hear from their demos and I do not own any AS voice synth or modules, so I will surely get the Cranial Saw as soon as I find a good deal.
The Cranial Saw is rad. My chief complaint about ASol in his fixed/semi-modular synths is that the oscillators are the same in each synth, but it's not such a bad thing in modular land where it's definitely a king of flesh-shredding raw power on its own.
Old 1 week ago
I'm thinking about buying their Seq 8 Sequencer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm thinking about buying their Seq 8 Sequencer.
I have the Seq8 on my list of possibles too. I like the features/size format and I like the idea of those push/pull knobs... The only couple of things missing from there (that I would like) are the ability to move through steps randomly or in reverse, selection of steps... or simply a CV input to determine step sequence so you can do most things via LFO/Voltage signals shapes

The other one I am a bit interested in is the Tenderfoot Electronics Lattice + µcls (to add Gate out and input controls)... there is also the Cells expander which is another 16HP and costs as much as the lattice...

To be honest I wouldn't mind to have the Seq8 + Lattice stuff + Doepfer A-155/154 all together
Old 1 week ago
yep. The Seq8 is super cheap.
I would mostly use it for dynamics and modulation, as I already have a couple of other simple sequencers for pitch. I like that the Seq8 has skip gates, so you can create interesting patterns.
Old 5 days ago
This is going to be useful for you performance guys.
I won't need one, but still, it looks like a nice new product:
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
This is going to be useful for you performance guys.
I won't need one, but still, it looks like a nice new product:
Nice one. Kinda similar to the Switchblade recently announced, though.
Old 3 days ago
I'm surprised that the new Make Noise QPAS isn't getting more love in the Modular Mania sub-group... I've been away from Euroack for a little bit as I concentrated on other things, but the QPAS is the first Euroack Module I bought in almost a year, and I love it! One of the nicest Filters I have used. I tested it out using this little drone system I threw together...

Also, finally, I just ordered a proper case for my live performances (I use to have two Tiptop Mantis cases, which were a pain in the butt to take out live while patched.) So this is on it's way to me in a couple of days!

Old 3 days ago
Not my cup o’tea.
Actually, I haven’t bought anything Make Noise for a few years. No negative reason, just nothing yhat took my fancy.
I didn’t really like the two QPAS youtube demos I watched.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

QPAS to me just screamed that if it were made by someone else, it would have been a lot cheaper. I like most of the Make Noise that I have, but sometimes I wonder if we're paying something similar to a Moog-tax. I'll catch QPAS when it starts coming up sub-$200 secondhand.

So here's my most recent purchases:

It occurred to me that I've been focusing on sound-generation for a while and haven't picked up any good CV generators/manipulators in a bit. Serendipity also played a role in the purchase: My fave DIY builder does this thing where he'll build a module, post it at a price above what he thinks it's worth, and then just steadily decrease it each week until someone buys it. I haven't checked his store in a long while, so this was sitting there nice and cheap waiting for me.

But because I'm a slut for sound generation, I also picked up these:

(Surprised that this hasn't been out that long but can already be picked up pretty cheap, so I hope this isn't a bad sign.)

This was justified because I love digital oscillators, and this can be run at LFO speed, so it checks the modulation blank that I need more of.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search